readytotaxi
Topic Author

Update On The Kid Who Wont Fly, Abu Dhabi Airport.

Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:27 pm

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/08/20/wo...ome/index.html?iid=article_sidebar

Has it really been that long ago, 1stJuly.
They have all the visas sorted to go by land and sea, Good luck kid.  
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!

johruk

RE: Update On The Kid Who Wont Fly, Abu Dhabi Airport.

Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:31 pm

I read somewhere yesterday that he is now not going anywhere...they decided that driving in Egypt was to dangerous and he is to stay in the UAE..

Just trying to find the news story...found it and here is it! :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-19341719 (how do i post as a link?)

[Edited 2012-08-23 05:33:53]

tonystan

Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:04 pm

For goodness sake, pop him a few valium and get him on a plane!
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

Uluru

Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:16 pm

While I understand that the parents don't want to force him into a situation that he isn't comfortable with but this is just silly at this point. I get it, the kid is scared of flying, albeit all of a sudden, what's going to happen when they decide to travel by bus through active war zones.

Who knows, it could be Balloon Boy round 2. They already have 2 rounds of coverage by CNN... so far!

[Edited 2012-08-23 06:17:53]

readytotaxi
Topic Author

Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:20 pm

Seems that a medical flight under sedation is going to be the only way to get home, don't think think they can afford that.

IrishAyes

Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:29 pm

Quoting tonystan (Reply 2):
For goodness sake, pop him a few valium and get him on a plane!

If only it were that easy. This is a psychological condition that cannot be handled without care. Sometimes, people just snap and I hope for the sake of the boy and his family, he recovers over time. This would be a tragedy to suffer through for the rest of one's life.

The transportation by land and sea sounds like a nightmare of an alternative. If private planes were an option, that could be suggested, but it appears that the overall concept of flying in general is the root of his anxiety issues.

Cue the need for high speed rail transport  
confidence is silent. insecurities are loud.

AirBuffalo

Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:50 pm

This is not news worthy. At best it's a publicity stunt by the parents to secure required visas. The reality of that area of the world today is that if you will not fly, you will not go far. Simple as that.

mogandoCI

Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:01 pm

Quoting IrishAyes (Reply 5):
Cue the need for high speed rail transport

Even if the funding exists, HSR would definitely fail in the Middle East. Cities are simply too far apart for HSR to be competitive or economically viable - using the 4 hour rule, you can't even reach Riyadh from Dubai unless you have the absolute fastest trains.

But of course, knowing how Dubai loves white elephants, maybe they'll actually do it

IrishAyes

Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:40 pm

Quoting AirBuffalo (Reply 6):
This is not news worthy. At best it's a publicity stunt by the parents to secure required visas. The reality of that area of the world today is that if you will not fly, you will not go far. Simple as that.

I'm usually not one to defend moves that may be perceived in that fashion, but in this situation, I'm willing to side with the family.

Not to hijack the thread with a sob story, but last year, one of my best friends from college - very normal, energetic, bright and all around fantastic guy - had a dramatic psychotic episode and literally within a span of a week showed signs of onset Schizophrenia. It was quite possibly one of the most terrifying things I've ever witnessed in my life to see someone I knew like the back of my hand go from point A to Z with the drop of a hat, babbling nonsensical things that lacked complete coherency and accusing us (his friends) of actions we never committed.

He's doing much better now - he has a very successful job in Private Equity. But it took him a very long time to show signs of recovery and get back on his feet. I spent a lot of time with him in the hospital and speaking with his family - the most difficult part was watching them struggle with acknowledgment, acceptance and adjustment to the situation - they were all in complete denial at first, but now are 100% supportive. It made me realize that no family deserves to go through these high-anxiety situations where there are very few explicable variables and in this scenario, even fewer options to make ends meet.

I do sincerely hope it gets better for the boy and that he gets to reunite with his Mom and sister. This cannot be easy.

BlueDanube

Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:49 pm

Quoting readytotaxi (Reply 4):
Seems that a medical flight under sedation is going to be the only way to get home, don't think think they can afford that.

The article mentions that LH along with Volkwagan were working on a plan to do this with minimal cost to the patient.

Quoting AirBuffalo (Reply 6):

Visas that they now have; even the ones for Saudi Arabia, which are very difficult to get and they only got after the ambassador in London approved them personally with the blessings of the Saudi royal family.

Quoting IrishAyes (Reply 8):

This is a great story. Thank you for sharing. We all hope that the boy gets the proper medical care that he desperately needs. The issue that I, and most of us here, seem to have is that the parents are simply unable to get him back to England and that they have given up all hope for now. A lot of people outside of this forum, from LH and Volkswagan, to the Saudi royal family, all wish the boy to get better. The longer this goes on for the boy, the longer he must wait to get the treatment that he needs with the love and support of his family back in England. The treatment is probably also available in Abu Dhabi. But, his family is in England and that environment is probably best suited for him at the time being. The father should be more open to the driving route, even if he has to find another way around Egypt, or getting on a cargo ship and sailing around that way. Not doing so is letting this condition fester and grow over time.

IrishAyes

Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:24 pm

Quoting BlueDanube (Reply 9):
This is a great story. Thank you for sharing.

No, thank you for the kind words  
Quoting BlueDanube (Reply 9):
The issue that I, and most of us here, seem to have is that the parents are simply unable to get him back to England and that they have given up all hope for now. A lot of people outside of this forum, from LH and Volkswagan, to the Saudi royal family, all wish the boy to get better. The longer this goes on for the boy, the longer he must wait to get the treatment that he needs with the love and support of his family back in England.

Yeah, and that is the tough thing to grapple with. However, I think the important distinction to make here is that psychological episodes and anxiety can be treated OVER time, unlike infectious diseases/viruses or other potentially lethal situations where it is a race AGAINST time to evacuate an individual from a dangerous environment. In this case, the only real jugular here is treating the flying phobia; otherwise speaking, there doesn't seem to be any threatening conditions necessitating his voyage to the UK, other than reuniting with the family, starting school, and getting on with his life. For now, the boy seems to be functioning and fortunately the family has a network and contacts in Abu Dhabi to continue to provide a support system until (hopefully) the boy recovers.

hz747300

Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:37 am

But parents know best. I remember, when I was flying back from Panama to Newark on Continental, right when the plane was pushing back, these two girls (both under 10, one probably pretty young) starting crying really loudly. Even with my limited High School border Spanish, I could interpret "Yo quiero mi mama!" repeated a bazillion times. So we stopped mid-push back. After about 10 minutes, the captain said something we all knew. "we are going to let the two girls who want their mother off the plane, but we are waiting for her to come back to the gate area." In all honesty, the whole affair was done very quickly, probably less than 20 minutes.

In this case though the boy has his mama. And his parents should remind him, the longer they wait and all those flights go to and from his home country without crashing, it only increases the odds that the flight he eventually does take will crash. Still the % is probably less than 1 tenth of 1 per cent.

He needs to be shown that his fear is him and not the plane. If they force him on the plane and it flies without incident (and I do agree with using sedation), what's the worse that happens? Panic attack and passing out? That's the best that can happen. Guard the cockpit door as I don't think he would be able to damage the plane in any other way. Once he lands in the UK, and is back at home, the parents can say, "thanks son, because of you, we are the joke of the neighbourhood. All holidays will now be continental Europe, including the UK and Ireland. Good job you jerk!"

Just read the article on BBC, and I cannot think of a better way to do this than what the Germans have offered. But don't tell him about the plan. If the anathesiologist stays on board, there should be no danger, hell, he may be asleep the whole flight!
Keep on truckin'...

Tbone354

Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:07 am

I want to say this about that. Two little words.... "Rain Man"!

Type-Rated

Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:19 pm

The parents must be independently wealthy, how else could they afford the hotel rooms and other costs being ran up due to this child's behavior?

I know what would have happened to me when I was that age and I pulled a stunt like this. I'd get a strong slap and a "I don't care what you say, YOU ARE GOING!" from my parents.

There is not only something seriously wrong with this kid, but also something seriously wrong with the parents to divert so much of their daily lives to their kids whims and fancies.

There also could be a reason that they are not aware of that may be causing him not to want to return to the UK. He could be fearful of the UK!
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

hOMSaR

Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:42 pm

Quoting hz747300 (Reply 11):
And his parents should remind him, the longer they wait and all those flights go to and from his home country without crashing, it only increases the odds that the flight he eventually does take will crash.

That's faulty logic. Even if it were accurate, I doubt that would be much consolation to the kid in this case.
The plural of Airbus is Airbuses. Airbii is not a word, and doesn't even make sense.
There is no 787-800, nor 787-900 or 747-800. It's 787-8, 787-9, and 747-8.
A321neoLR is also unnecessary. It's simply A321LR.

art

Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:40 pm

Quoting johruk (Reply 1):
I read somewhere yesterday that he is now not going anywhere...they decided that driving in Egypt was to dangerous and he is to stay in the UAE..

If that is correct, it sounds like the parents are rather too averse to taking risks. I imagine that each year hundreds of thousands of tourists (if not millions) take the risk of being driven in Egypt and that nearly all of them live to tell the tale.

cmf

Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:47 pm

Quoting type-rated (Reply 13):
I know what would have happened to me when I was that age and I pulled a stunt like this. I'd get a strong slap and a "I don't care what you say, YOU ARE GOING!" from my parents.

Would your parents also slap the airline representatives for not letting the kid fly?

There is not only something seriously wrong with this kid, but also something seriously wrong with the parents to divert so much of their daily lives to their kids whims and fancies.

There is something seriously wrong with someone who at this point still thinks this is a case of whims and fancies.
Don’t repeat earlier generations mistakes. Learn history for a better future.

frmrCapCadet

Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:13 am

Unfortunately psychoactive drugs do not work all that well for children. Many of them produce the opposite of the effect desired. I do concur that a passenger/tour ship routing may be the best alternative. We had one child who simply refused to stay in a car seat. In retrospect we should have ditched the car seat rather than using (non violent) strength.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

Type-Rated

Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:14 pm

Quoting cmf (Reply 16):
Would your parents also slap the airline representatives for not letting the kid fly?

Of course not as the issue would have been settled long before we got to the airport!

Quoting cmf (Reply 16):
There is something seriously wrong with someone who at this point still thinks this is a case of whims and fancies.

I'm entitled to think what I want. Is this kid a control freak or a nut job? Pick one.
On the same note, what other behaviors is this kid going to pull on them in the future?

So I guess his parents are just going to put their lives on hold until this kid decides what's he's capable of doing?

[Edited 2012-08-26 11:36:47]
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

usflyer msp

Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:14 pm

Quoting type-rated (Reply 18):

I'm entitled to think what I want. Is this kid a control freak or a nut job? Pick one.
On the same note, what other behaviors is this kid going to pull on them in the future?

I concur. Cry me a river...sedate the kid, put him on the plane, and move on with your lives. There is no need for all this drama. IMHO, this a case of the parents ceding their authority to the kids as is so common in families nowadays. Now they have only set themselves up for more drama from the kid in the future.

Aesma

Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:37 pm

Quoting art (Reply 15):
If that is correct, it sounds like the parents are rather too averse to taking risks. I imagine that each year hundreds of thousands of tourists (if not millions) take the risk of being driven in Egypt and that nearly all of them live to tell the tale.

Even before the revolution a lot of Egypt wasn't open to tourists.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

ssteve

Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:58 pm

I hear someone from JetBlue gave this kid a buddy pass, and the family thinks they're all set now.

flyingalex

Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:49 pm

There also could be a reason that they are not aware of that may be causing him not to want to return to the UK. He could be fearful of the UK!

I'm leaning towards the same conclusion. While the kid's problems assert themselves in a fear of flying, the root cause may actually be a fear of leaving the country he has effectively grown up in (the UAE), his friends, etc. It's not uncommon for children to react badly when their families move.

I can appreciate why his parents don't want to take this course of action, but I'd just pump him full of drugs, carry him onto a plane and deal with the fallout in the UK. It seemed to work every time for the A-Team!
Public service announcement: "It's" = "it is". To indicate posession, write "its." Looks wrong, but it's correct grammar

hz747300

Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:38 am

Quoting homSar (Reply 14):
That's faulty logic.

He's 11, I'll take my chances with faulty logic. We can have a laugh about it over a pint at the corner pub when he's 18. Something that couldn't happen if they stay in Abu Dhabi except at a hotel bar.

Quoting flyingalex (Reply 22):
It's not uncommon for children to react badly when their families move.

I can relate, I moved to Jeddah when I was 6 weeks old, and left shortly after my 13th birthday, my parents having already lived there for five years or so. Plus, we went from a city of ~4m to a town of ~8k in southeast Arizona (probably 20k if you Safford, Thatcher, & Pima together). However, while I was very sad to go, I knew enough to know I wasn't Saudi, and it likely couldn't be my home forever. Plus, mom and dad worked for Saudia, so we flew first class back to the US, which made it more comfortable leaving Saudia City. What I don't know is if the two years makes so much of a difference in maturity and understanding, I can't think that it does.

I still say the best option is to take the German's up on their option, but don't tell him about it.
Keep on truckin'...

CZ346

Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:55 am

The parents must be independently wealthy, how else could they afford the hotel rooms and other costs being ran up due to this child's behavior?

While you put it a little harsh for my taste, I have to totally agree. I've been through anxiety attacks and panic attacks that required high doses of Xanax to calm, but for goodness sake a sudden fear of flying that rose up when moving from all of your life-long friends just seems odd. I know the crew had to remove him from the flight a couple times, but this is sort of out of control. I would suspect this is a case of the kid getting it in his mind he can make a stand to not move if he doesnt want to.

cmf

Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:02 am

Of course not as the issue would have been settled long before we got to the airport!

Not a chance. This is not a case of a kid acting up like a kid.

Sure you are entitled to think what you want. Question is if you include actual data when establishing what you think.

The problems this kid is suffering with flying is as real as if he had both legs amputated. Would you still say he was acting up by not walking in that case?

So I guess his parents are just going to put their lives on hold until this kid decides what's he's capable of doing?

What would you do if your kid caught something meaning he can't travel, say a neck injury? Would you still force him to travel?

I'm leaning towards the same conclusion. While the kid's problems assert themselves in a fear of flying, the root cause may actually be a fear of leaving the country he has effectively grown up in (the UAE), his friends, etc. It's not uncommon for children to react badly when their families move.

Doesn't add up when you consider the last flights he took. Including from UK to UAE.

sbworcs

Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:52 am

Some of the reactions of people on here really underpin the probelm there is with the perception of mental health issues.

Laughing, joking, it's not real etc.

Mental health problems are real and do affect people to very serious degrees. Just because he is a kid does not mean the problems are not real.

Why is there such a stigma and backlash - is it because it is a mental health issue that people do not feel comfortable addressing?
The best way forwards is upwards!

BA174

Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:55 am

Are these idiots seriously considering driving through some of the most dangerous parts of the world just because their brat of a kid won't fly. I've saw kids going loopy over flying in the terminals and screaming during the lockers being closed/safety video but once the Plane has gone bowling down the runway they know there's little they can do and eventually go quiet.

I hope Britain pays nothing out in special services to get them back that's for sure.

art

Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:50 am

Quoting sbworcs (Reply 26):
Some of the reactions of people on here really underpin the probelm there is with the perception of mental health issues.

I agree. It seems that some do not recognise that a phobia can have a debilitating effect. The proposals some make suggest that the debilitating nature of such conditions is not so and that the application of discipline to the wayward individual is the best course of action. Mmm... Do they suggest that someone who suffers from vertigo should be forced to go up a winding mountain road by car if that is what the family needs to do to get where they are going? Or be forced to travel through the Channel Tunnel if they suffer from claustrophobia? Or be forced to go outside if they suffer from agoraphobia? Or sleep in a hotel room where they have seen spiders if they suffer from arachnophobia? Or that a flight attendant who suddenly develops a fear of flying (reported by just such a person in the previous thread) should be given a good talking to, be told how much of a problem her attitude is creating and if that does not work, be given a good slap to get her to change her attitude?

tp1040

Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:57 pm

This might have already been answered. But what is wrong with a ship? There have to be cruise ships that make the gulf countries part of their itinerary. They could have been home by now.

art

Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:10 pm

Quoting tp1040 (Reply 29):
This might have already been answered. But what is wrong with a ship? There have to be cruise ships that make the gulf countries part of their itinerary. They could have been home by now.

I wondered about that, too, but when I checked cruises to Egypt / The Gulf from UK, I could find none until October. I guess they don't run them in the summer.

canadianpylon

Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:25 pm

Quoting usflyer msp (Reply 19):
I concur. Cry me a river...sedate the kid, put him on the plane, and move on with your lives.

You have to be kidding me. This kid has something much more deeply rooted than a case of being spoiled. He's 11-years old, and will understand the implications of not getting on the plane.

. While the kid's problems assert themselves in a fear of flying, the root cause may actually be a fear of leaving the country he has effectively grown up in (the UAE), his friends, etc. It's not uncommon for children to react badly when their families move.

Speaking as someone who has just recently gone through a mental-issue episode myself, I couldn't agree more with this statement. When something is off mentally, it manifests itself in the weirdest ways. It isn't a simple as popping a pill and making it right. You HAVE to get to the root cause of issue and resolve it.

Quoting sbworcs (Reply 26):

Laughing, joking, it's not real etc.

I find this very common for people who never experienced a mental health issue. As mental health issues are on the rise, this should be less as people gain first hand experience to it. Once you go through an episode, you realize it's no laughing matter.

There are two factors here: 1) The child has an underlying mental health issue that needs resolved 2) The parents are trying to be accommodating to their child and accomplish their goal of getting back to the UK.

Quoting BA174 (Reply 27):
Are these idiots seriously considering driving through some of the most dangerous parts of the world just because their brat of a kid won't fly. I've saw kids going loopy over flying in the terminals and screaming during the lockers being closed/safety video but once the Plane has gone bowling down the runway they know there's little they can do and eventually go quiet.

*sigh* Or you could force him on the plane and let him a psychotic episode at 41,000, right over Iraq/Syria. That is SOOO much better. I think there are tons of youtube videos of those.   

Put him on a plane where he can gave a meltdown, and you are now affecting 200+ people. Having his parents trying to find a solution involving non-flying ways is inconvenient for 2 people. Kudos to the dad for being considerate to the 200+ other people.

One of the interesting aspects of this article, for me anyways. This article shows how isolated UAE/Dubai/Abu Dhabi can be IF you cannot fly in or out. It is quite remarkable.
Always looking for the longest route with the most transfers.

lightsaber
Crew

Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:32 pm

I think there is something much bigger here than a fear of flying. Is the home situation not healthy for the child? e.g., are the parents fighting? Note: I'm not blaming the father. If the mother is a verbal abuser, than the child is just in a bad situation and is trying to make the best of it. Or there could be a bad Uncle in the UK, or...

Quoting canadianpylon (Reply 31):
You HAVE to get to the root cause of issue and resolve it.

I'm just pointing out it could be something more than mental health.

There are two factors here: 1) The child has an underlying mental health issue that needs resolved 2) The parents are trying to be accommodating to their child and accomplish their goal of getting back to the UK.

I think we can agree there is something more. I would have to hear how the parents talk on the phone to know if they are 'accommodating' of if this is a child custody play or...

While the kid's problems assert themselves in a fear of flying, the root cause may actually be a fear of leaving the country he has effectively grown up in (the UAE), his friends, etc. It's not uncommon for children to react badly when their families move.

Could be. Or it could be a fear of where he is going for personal reasons. I came up with a few ideas, but who knows what it could really be...

One of the interesting aspects of this article, for me anyways. This article shows how isolated UAE/Dubai/Abu Dhabi can be IF you cannot fly in or out. It is quite remarkable.

Well written post overall. I find it amazing how isolated the nation is. However, couldn't they rent a cabin in a freighter? I know, not cheap and going through the straights near Somalia has its own risks...

Since there are options, I suspect there is something dark we don't know about. Let me be clear, while the father is often the first suspected, there is something *extreamly* fishy going on here that makes me believe the mother should also be evaluated.

Quoting art (Reply 15):
If that is correct, it sounds like the parents are rather too averse to taking risks

Maybe. Or there is a risk here not being discussed.

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

ScarletHarlot

Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:46 pm

Now the kid has developed a fear of all kinds of travel.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...r-flying-terrified-ALL-travel.html

(Forgive the Daily Fail link)
But that was when I ruled the world

lightsaber
Crew

Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:28 pm

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 33):
Now the kid has developed a fear of all kinds of travel.

This only reinforces my opinion that this is something far greater driving the child's fear. This isn't normal. Is the dad bad? The mom? Another relative? Another person?

Lightsaber

ikramerica

Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:47 am

He simply doesn't want to move. And he must know his parents better than all the psych 101 experts and be fully aware of the lengths they will go to to appease him. He chose sudden fear of flying and was probably a bit shocked how the world bought his story. So now he's pushing the limits like kids do.

It's no different than an 11 year old eating nothing but buttered noodles because her parents indulge her. Don't buy it for one second. Didn't buy it from the start.

Hypnotize him, then sedate him, then restrain him, and get him to the freakin UK already and stop indulging his selfishness.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

garpd

Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:02 am

For pete's sake.

Arrange a flight in secret (ie don't tell the boy). The morning of the departure put a double dose of Valium in his breakfast, that'll put him in a nice sleep, then carry him onto the plane.
By the time he's awake, they've landed and he's in the car home.
arpdesign.wordpress.com

cmf

Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:33 am

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 35):
He simply doesn't want to move
He chose sudden fear of flying and was probably a bit shocked how the world bought his story. So now he's pushing the limits like kids do.

Sudden? Are you aware of the earlier occurrences? The flight from UK to UAE and the flight to Sri Lanka.

hz747300

Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:41 am

Thanks for the Daily Mail article. I'm sorry, I do believe that there are real mental health issues in the world, and I believe that this is not one of them. But when a fear of flying, is turned into a fear of all sorts of alternative travel, I think that what we have is someone who wants attention and doesn't want to leave the UAE. He can safely be sedated for 11-12 hours, I think the Germans, with their suggestions, should be used and the boy not told what is happening.

8pm, ground up valium and put it in his dinner
9pm, with a doctor, sedate him, same as if going into surgery
9:15pm leave for the airport
10pm clear customs, immigration, buy a magazine at duty-free, and board the plane
10:05pm pushback
10:12pm wheels up
10:22pm reach cruise alt. and insert IV, catheter
Check vitals every hour on the hour

The rest is pretty straight forward.

From the pictures, how did he get to the sand dunes? By car I'd presume.
Keep on truckin'...

cmf

Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:03 am

Quoting hz747300 (Reply 38):
From the pictures, how did he get to the sand dunes? By car I'd presume.
Mr Thompson said: “In March, my wife took Joe back to England for half-term. He was fine on the way out but on the way back he suddenly got this terrible fear. He couldn’t get on the plane.

“Pauline took him home and we rebooked the flight for a week later. He said the flight was too long so we organised a stopover in Turkey to break it up."

Later that month, Mr Thompson and Joe were due to fly from Abu Dhabi to Sri Lanka to take part in a rugby tournament.

He said: “We got on the plane but Joe became so traumatised, the crew said he had to get off. It was terrible. I had 40 other children with me who were all taking part in the tournament. I couldn’t leave them so I had to let Joe get off."

http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/Scho...s/story-16617299-detail/story.html

art

Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:22 pm

I'm sorry, I do believe that there are real mental health issues in the world, and I believe that this is not one of them. But when a fear of flying, is turned into a fear of all sorts of alternative travel, I think that what we have is someone who wants attention and doesn't want to leave the UAE.

I'm on the turn here: yes, fear of flying can make it more or less impossible to travel by plane. A fear of any form of alternative travel? No I don't buy that.

Just noticed the following, too:

Quoting cmf (Reply 39):
Mr Thompson said: “In March, my wife took Joe back to England for half-term. He was fine on the way out but on the way back he suddenly got this terrible fear. He couldn’t get on the plane.

“Pauline took him home and we rebooked the flight for a week later. He said the flight was too long so we organised a stopover in Turkey to break it up."

He was too frightened to get on a plane for a direct flight but not so for a flight with a stopover? I don't buy that either. I have no fear of flying but I suspect that for people who do the most harrowing parts of the ordeal are take off and landing, so I would think that you would want to avoid doubling the number of take offs and landings if at all possible. Anyone know if that is normally the case?

lightsaber
Crew

Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:46 pm

Quoting art (Reply 40):
He was too frightened to get on a plane for a direct flight but not so for a flight with a stopover? I don't buy that either. I have no fear of flying but I suspect that for people who do the most harrowing parts of the ordeal are take off and landing, so I would think that you would want to avoid doubling the number of take offs and landings if at all possible. Anyone know if that is normally the case?

I do not know if it is normally the case or not. To me it screams that the child is either:
1. Using fear of flight as a control mechanism in a world he probably has little/no control.
2. The child is using fear of flight to avoid contact with someone/something he fears.

This isn't normal. Just putting the kid out won't solve the issue. Either the child is controlling (rare, but possible) or, more likely in my opinion, this is a behavior a child exhibits when abused.

Note: I'm biased. I'm divorcing my wife at this moment for being an 'emotional bully'. I have a child that will go catatonic for 30 to 90 minutes when in a safe relaxing environment (school, grandmas, with certain of her friends if mom is known to be gone) when she can let down her guard. A child that will scream, destroy, refuse to eat, have potty accidents, or a number of other behaviors to avoid going home to mom (Note1a: intensity started post separation when there was a safe environment to transition to and this is an extremely well behaved child otherwise) . Alas, the legal system is not in my favor as a male. I cannot prove anything (no video) and even if I could, the state court system doesn't really care (he said/she said). I have witnessed no more than yelling and belittlement, but unlike most verbal abusers my wife has made the mistake of letting the neighbors hear what she does when I wasn't home. I personally can take an incredible amount of yelling (why? I didn't grow up with it), but I reached my limit and wish I had made my decision earlier (note: Don't judge unless you've been in that environment. I've followed the path of the classic 'intellegent nice guy' except that most nice guys break instead of doing what is right for their kids.) If my 4 year old does the above to try and stay in a safe environment, what would an 11 year old do?

Note2: I do not suspect the father. He is *not* following the behavior of a male verbal abuser/sexual abuser. For the mom, I do not see enough information. It could be she has brainwashed the kid against a nice father. It happens... a lot. My soon to be ex- is certainly trying (it is more typical than not for a female verbal abuser). Or it could be avoidance of someone else (Nanny, uncle, aunt, bullying cousin, etc.) The perceived 'safe environment' could be that the child is simply tired of mom insulting/yelling at dad. For a child of that age, it destroys their self worth and could be the root cause.

5.5% of married women are verbal abusers.
3.5% of married men are verbal abusers (stat difference is that abusing men often won't marry or are in jail).

0.5% of marriages intersect the above and are the ones that can make the news.

Note3: Verbally abusing women do some really nice stuff. Its why a man would stay with them. However, it isn't worth having that home environment, not for anyone. But the woman will get her way and punish any inhibitors.

Again, this child's behavior is 100% consistent for a child desperately trying to avoid a toxic environment. Much more extreme than what my daughter did last night to extend the time with me, but consistent.

Quoting art (Reply 40):
A fear of any form of alternative travel? No I don't buy that.

Hence my above thoughts.

Lightsaber

readytotaxi
Topic Author

Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:02 pm

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 41):

I find your post to be balanced and with some good insight.
(hope for a good outcome for all in your case)

The straight up presentation by the media does not cover the whole story after all this time.
Perhaps a journlist could do some indepth reporting over a period of time.
Looks like my original post has a long way to run yet.  

BA174

Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:26 pm

Thanks for the Daily Mail article. I'm sorry, I do believe that there are real mental health issues in the world, and I believe that this is not one of them. But when a fear of flying, is turned into a fear of all sorts of alternative travel, I think that what we have is someone who wants attention and doesn't want to leave the UAE. He can safely be sedated for 11-12 hours, I think the Germans, with their suggestions, should be used and the boy not told what is happening.

8pm, ground up valium and put it in his dinner
9pm, with a doctor, sedate him, same as if going into surgery
9:15pm leave for the airport
10pm clear customs, immigration, buy a magazine at duty-free, and board the plane
10:05pm pushback
10:12pm wheels up
10:22pm reach cruise alt. and insert IV, catheter
Check vitals every hour on the hour

The rest is pretty straight forward.

From the pictures, how did he get to the sand dunes? By car I'd presume

So the kid is now saying he is scared of all forms of travel??

This has just gone too far and unrealistic, for some reason he wants to stay un AUH and is refusing to move.