wnflyguy
Topic Author

WN/FL Monday Schedule Release Predictions.

Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:45 am

OK it's time for predictions about Monday's schedule release.
Mine are DCA flying FL dropping 2 MKE and 1 MCO flights.
WN using these 3 slots to ADD 3 MDW flights.
8am( 737-800) ,1145am( 737-700) 6pm(737-800).
DAY getting a daily BWI flight.
CAK getting a daily BWI flight.
MEM getting a daily HOU flight.
Enjoy wnfg 
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

SurfandSnow

RE: WN/FL Monday Schedule Release Predictions.

Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:27 am

Well, we already know they're going to BKG in some fashion. Assuming the airport sticks to its rule of one airline per route, they won't be serving DEN unless BKG decides to screw over F9 in favor of WN (I doubt they would burn a partner that has been willing to try several routes, like PHX, AUS, MKE, etc.). They'll probably serve BWI, MDW, and HOU as FL did this past year, in spite of a weak brand presence and lack of WN FF access and hub feed, maybe MCO, AUS, DAL, BNA, MSP, and/or PHX too. These are all places that BKG has bought service to in the past. All depends on how much $$ the airport wants to throw at WN!

I'm going to guess that WN assumes all remaining FL MKE ops, with the exceptions of MKE-ATL and MKE-CUN (if they even still fly that one). That means we'll see WN metal flying MKE-RSW and MKE-DCA for the first time, along with additional frequencies to several existing WN routes from MKE. Maybe they'll even throw in a surprise like MKE-BNA or MKE-HOU.

I bet we will see MDW-DCA start with slots currently used for redundant ATL-DCA and MKE-DCA services. I doubt they'll maintain DCA-MCO, so that slot will probably go to MDW-DCA too. I wouldn't be surprised to see MDW-DAY begin as well, and perhaps also DEN-DSM. Maybe CAK/DAY-BWI as well. All a matter of connecting the dots that will most likely happen sooner or later.

WN probably won't assume or add much more at ATL before the FL code share begins, so as not to destroy the value and viability of the current operation there. Perhaps they will partially or fully convert remaining domestic FL stations not connected to ATL, like GRR and PWM. Or who knows, they could always throw unexpected curve balls our way like they did with ONT-RNO....
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

ERJ170

Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:32 am

I'm gonna say for RDU, nothing... Seems to be theme going on...
Aiming High and going far..

OzarkD9S

Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:43 am

Quoting erj170 (Reply 2):

I'm gonna say for RDU, nothing... Seems to be theme going on...

WN's "theme" is to integrate a couple dozen FL stations into the WN network. RDU is already in the WN network. RDU will undoubtedly get some more LUV in the future, but WN has bigger issues to deal with now.
Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL

airliner371

Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:06 am

Quote:

Oh we can only hope! I think we could see FL's 6 ATL go down to 5 giving WN another daily for MDW.

usdcaguy

Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:48 pm

Quoting wnflyguy (Thread starter):
OK it's time for predictions about Monday's schedule release.
8am( 737-800) ,1145am( 737-700) 6pm(737-800).
CAK getting a daily BWI flight.
MEM getting a daily HOU flight.
Enjoy wnfg 

Curious to see what MEM-HOU would do to UA/DL MEM-IAH flying. I see a 737 in that market as almost too much capacity, but maybe connecting passengers would help fill it. I guess WN itself needs to start flying from MEM to somewhere in Texas one of these decades, and now that NW is out of the picture and DL does not seem to care about MEM, it may finally be time.

SANFan

Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:13 pm

As mentioned on another thread, Monday also sees an announcement in MSY. Maybe there's a connection between this thread and that one?

I'd like to think positively about what we might see from WN on Monday but honestly I think it will be mostly the continuation of the same as we've seen lately -- integration/conversion of FL into WN, return of some more of the "seasonal" markets, plus (of course) more DEN-growth.   Big whoop...

bb

planespotting

Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:37 pm

Quoting SurfandSnow (Reply 1):
I wouldn't be surprised to see MDW-DAY begin as well, and perhaps also DEN-DSM.

From what I've heard, I don't expect to see additional freq/destinations out of DSM until 2013.

But here's hoping for a surprise.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

southwest737500

Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:44 pm

CLT should be getting some type of WN service
Next flight: TUL-ATL-CLT CRJ900 and MD88

KDAYflyer

Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:58 pm

Quoting usdcaguy (Reply 5):

That would be interesting. We have a BWI flight on FL currently. Are you saying it would be a second flight, or a one-one swap just going on WN metal now?

southwest737500

Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:05 pm

CLT-MDW 3x
CLT-DEN 1 or 2
CLT-MCO 2x
Maybe HOU with 2x maybe LAS with 1
CLT-STL 2x
Next flight: TUL-ATL-CLT CRJ900 and MD88

LoneStarMike

Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:13 pm

Who knows what they'll do, but here's one idea:

Convert FL's MDW-BKG service to WN and have it operate once daily (if it doesn't already) and pair that with a new (daily) BGK-DAL route.

As an intermediate stop between DAL & MDW, BKG lines up perfectly.

MDW-BKG-DAL

LoneStarMike

OzarkD9S

Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:36 pm

Quoting LoneStarMike (Reply 11):
As an intermediate stop between DAL & MDW, BKG lines up perfectly.

MDW-BKG-DAL

LoneStarMike

Great idea (I've had that one myself), there's probably a few more routes that could line up like that (DEN-BKG-ATL, BWI-BKG-PHX) that could get the BKG station up to 8-10 daily departures, tho the MDW-BKG-DAL has the added attraction of skirting the WA till 2014.

boeing71234567

Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:46 pm

BDL - HOU 1x
BDL - PHX 1x

Only Southwest flight out of the northeast to these destinations is out of Boston. United used to fly to Houston from BDL, and US Airways to Phoenix from BDL. Still a very good marked for this type of service.

usflyguy

Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:50 pm

Codesharing.

HOU-SEA return
additional WN ATL service... TPA, FLL, BDL, SAN.
Hawaii announcement.
Red-eyes.
My post is my ideas and my opinions only, I do not represent the ideas or opinions of anyone else or company.

FWAERJ

Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:10 pm

Another one: IND continuing the transition to an all-WN station. MCO and TPA are now served by both WN and FL, and could very well be the first IND overlap routes to switch over to all-WN service. ATL probably won't change until the codeshare is in place, which means that RSW and FLL could change from FL to WN before ATL.

One has to wonder: if IND-MCO/TPA go all-WN with the corresponding higher fares that WN charges over FL, will G4 get a boost at FWA?

I wouldn't be surprised to see MDW-DAY begin as well

IND-MDW is being discontinued on 11/3, and DAY-MDW is only slightly longer in length.
"Did he really need the triple bypass? Or was it the miles?"

iowaman

Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:39 pm

8am( 737-800) ,1145am( 737-700) 6pm(737-800)

Makes sense, especially considering Chicago is the #2 market out of DCA, plus the large amount of connectivity available at MDW.

Well, we already know they're going to BKG in some fashion. Assuming the airport sticks to its rule of one airline per route, they won't be serving DEN unless BKG decides to screw over F9 in favor of WN (I doubt they would burn a partner that has been willing to try several routes, like PHX, AUS, MKE, etc.). They'll probably serve BWI, MDW, and HOU as FL did this past year, in spite of a weak brand presence and lack of WN FF access and hub feed, maybe MCO, AUS, DAL, BNA, MSP, and/or PHX too. These are all places that BKG has bought service to in the past. All depends on how much $$ the airport wants to throw at WN!

It will certainly be interesting to see how BKG plays out. It seems to me a lot of tourists going to Branson are from the mid-west, but MCI and STL are too close to bother flying.

I wouldn't be surprised to see MDW-DAY begin as well, and perhaps also DEN-DSM. Maybe CAK/DAY-BWI as well. All a matter of connecting the dots that will most likely happen sooner or later.

MDW-DAY would be one of the shortest routes in the system, although would offer large connectivity.

Quoting planespotting (Reply 7):
From what I've heard, I don't expect to see additional freq/destinations out of DSM until 2013.

This schedule release will be for 2013 - MSP-MCI is already announced but won't be starting until February IIRC. DEN is probably my best guess out of DSM as well - it offers great connectivity to PHX and LAS, both popular destinations out of DSM and large WN stations.

Quoting southwest737500 (Reply 8):
CLT should be getting some type of WN service

CLT and MEM are huge holes that I would think would be filled soon.

Quoting boeing71234567 (Reply 13):
BDL - HOU 1x
BDL - PHX 1x

Only Southwest flight out of the northeast to these destinations is out of Boston. United used to fly to Houston from BDL, and US Airways to Phoenix from BDL. Still a very good marked for this type of service.

Not entirely correct (depends on your definition of the northeast, but BUF certainly is included):

BUF-PHX
EWR-HOU/PHX
PHL-HOU/PHX

Other than BKG, the following domestic stations are still FL only (I don't expect international stations to be announced yet):

BKG (supposedly will be announced Monday)
ROC
FNT
PWM
RIC
CLT
MEM
PNS
SJU
ICT
GRR

As someone else said, maybe Hawaii will be announced and/or a codeshare. I also expect we'll see some less exciting routes as usual. Personally I would like to see MSP-BWI and DSM-DEN - both reasonable in my opinion.

KDAYflyer

Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:44 pm

Quoting iowaman (Reply 16):
MDW-DAY would be one of the shortest routes in the system, although would offer large connectivity.

UA and AA fly DAY-ORD daily. While short, it is an excellent connection for the people of the region.

INFINITI329

Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:44 pm

BDL - HOU 1x
BDL - PHX 1x

Not entirely true. Both HOU and PHX are also served from EWR

wnflyguy
Topic Author

Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:40 am

Hawaii will not be annouced until the FA group passes the current side letter.
I don't see Hawaii flying now until 2014 or even 2015.
Now if a code share is finnally annouced I can see some over lap flying reduced.
And some new FL flying added like
RIC-MDW
ICT-DAL,ICT-DEN
CLT-MDW
GRR-MDW
ROC-MDW
MEM-HOU
PNS-HOU
FNT-MDW
SJU-MDW
Wnfg 
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

alggag

Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:43 am

Quoting infiniti329 (Reply 18):

BDL - HOU 1x
BDL - PHX 1x

Not entirely true. Both HOU and PHX are also served from EWR

Plus, WN does not serve BOS-HOU. EWR-HOU and then PHL-HOU are the most northeast routes out of HOU.

flyinryan99

Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:38 am

FL already flies DAY-BWI 3x daily...would probably be best for WN to convert those flights immediately. Opens up wonders for additional connections and revenue opportunities.

KDAYflyer

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:53 am

Quoting flyinryan99 (Reply 21):
FL already flies DAY-BWI 3x daily...would probably be best for WN to convert those flights immediately. Opens up wonders for additional connections and revenue opportunities.

Agreed. FL has had a monopoly on this route for some time now. I do not know if there is demand for a fourth flight or not, but it may be possible with the enhanced connections a conversion to WN would bring.

ouboy79

Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:20 pm

Quoting flyinryan99 (Reply 21):

Mmhmm. Really it should be anything not going to ATL should be moved to WN as soon as possible. It is going to be better for those markets that can benefit from the WN network overall. Isolating ATL protects the different business model for that network for now until it can be redone to match up with other large WN stations.

seb146

Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:33 pm

How about seasonal service to BZN? Something like MDW-BZN-SEA? They are a ski destination and Yellowstone is about an hour away. They might keep that service over the summer?
Life in the wall is a drag.

OzarkD9S

Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:46 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 24):

How about seasonal service to BZN? Something like MDW-BZN-SEA? They are a ski destination and Yellowstone is about an hour away. They might keep that service over the summer?

I highly doubt it's going to be a completely new market not currently served by WN or FL, unless it's some new int'l destination. 2013 is going to be the big transition year FL to WN. I'm of the opinion that much non-ATL service will be converted to WN in the coming year.

Flytravel

Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:10 pm

Quoting FWAERJ (Reply 15):
IND-MDW is being discontinued on 11/3, and DAY-MDW is only slightly longer in length.

It's still over a 5 hour drive from Dayton to Chicago, while Indianapolis is 3 1/2. It should be noted that WN is launching DSM-MDW which is over 5 under 6 hours of a drive. But WN could launch CVG-MDW in lieu of DAY-MDW which is about the same 5 hour drive but from a more populated area.

F9Fan

Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:05 am

Are they doing anything with PNS? IIRC, FL has about 3x PNS-ATL, and this would be an easy swap.

Quoting KDAYflyer (Reply 9):
Quoting usdcaguy (Reply 5):DAY getting a daily BWI flight.
That would be interesting. We have a BWI flight on FL currently. Are you saying it would be a second flight, or a one-one swap just going on WN metal now?

WN's pattern on the conversion of FL is to convert FL routes to WN routes without additional service. WN's fleet growth is going towards replacing FL and older WN metal, and not expansion.

airliner371

Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:35 am

Quote:
Are they doing anything with PNS? IIRC, FL has about 3x PNS-ATL, and this would be an easy swap.

Not for a while, AirTran ATL flights are overall not going to change or convert at all until the code share is in place.

LV

Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:36 am

I keep seeing people on here saying MDW this or MDW that but isn't MDW just about out of capacity?

QANTAS747-438

Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:59 am

Quoting usflyguy (Reply 14):

I would not expect any Hawaii announcement. I don't see WN starting up Hawaii until at least OCT/NOV of 2013. That would mean a MAY/JUN 2013 announcement. Not sure where WN is with progress on ETOPS certification.
My posts/replies are strictly my opinion and not that of any company, organization, or Southwest Airlines.

JONC777

Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:22 am

BKG 3 flights HOU, DAL and MDW schedule is now on southwest.com

wnflyguy
Topic Author

Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:00 pm

DRUM ROLL....
BKG-HOU
BKG-MDW
BKG-DAL
EYW-MSY
DAY-MCO
that's all I found .

Wnfg  Smile

[Edited 2012-08-27 06:16:04]

MSYtristar

Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:09 pm

MSY-EYW and MSY-EWR.

FL is adding a MSY-MCO.

WA707atMSP

Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:12 pm

As someone else said, maybe Hawaii will be announced and/or a codeshare. I also expect we'll see some less exciting routes as usual. Personally I would like to see MSP-BWI and DSM-DEN - both reasonable in my opinion.

The route I'd like to see before MSP-BWI is MSP-OMA. As I've said on other WN threads, there isn't a quick way to get from MSP to OMA, and I think they would really stimulate the market if they were to come in with 2x or 3x day flights.
Seaholm Maples are #1!

usflyguy

Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:17 pm

New or returning:
AUS-EWR
BKG-DAL
BKG-HOU
BKG-MDW
BNA-EWR
CLE-MCO (sat service)
CLE-RSW (sat service)
DAY-MCO
DTW-MCO (sat service)
EWR-MSY
EYW-MSY
MDW-PBI (sat service)
SAN-STL (sat service)
ABQ-PDQ
STL-ECP
RDU-PHX
LAS-JAX

Ending:
EWR-BWI
ONT-RNO
My post is my ideas and my opinions only, I do not represent the ideas or opinions of anyone else or company.

enilria

Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:22 pm

Quoting wnflyguy (Reply 32):
EYW-MSY

Weird and I'm not certain the plane can make it that far off that runway in EYW. I guess it is a de facto HOU flight. Does it through to HOU?

Quoting wnflyguy (Reply 32):
DAY-MCO

This is the MAR schedule right? Expect more Florida. They will probably add a bunch of their Sat flights from the Midwest too.

dbo861

Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:30 pm

Quoting planespotting (Reply 7):

I wouldn't be surprised to see MDW-DAY begin as well, and perhaps also DEN-DSM.

But here's hoping for a surprise.

You were right again. It looks like WN will only have 2 flights a day at DSM thru spring break next year. I'm curious if they're waiting to see how DSM performs before they add any other flights/destinations. They've always been reluctant to enter DSM, now they're reluctant to grow.

ERJ170

Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:39 pm

Good for MSY for getting EYW, but I can't begin to fathom how MSY got EYW before BWI... DC metro area has to have a larger amount of traffic to EYW than MSY... Odd...

RDU got a 2nd HOU flight... But no new destinations since PHX is just a resumption...
Aiming High and going far..

sdoyon

Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:42 pm

Quoting erj170 (Reply 38):
Good for MSY for getting EYW, but I can't begin to fathom how MSY got EYW before BWI... DC metro area has to have a larger amount of traffic to EYW than MSY... Odd...

It all comes down to runway length; EYW's runway is only 4,800 ft long. Makes me wonder if the MSY flights will have some seats blocked off... MSY/ATL is pretty much the range for a 737 out of EYW I think.

MSYtristar

Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:50 pm

Quoting erj170 (Reply 38):

It's not really about the local market. The local traffic is just a bonus in this case, though I'm sure it will grow. You can call this flight the Jimmy Buffett Express basically. EYW runway is too short for EYW-HOU or DAL, etc. So MSY is a logical stop off point.

Quoting enilria (Reply 36):
Weird and I'm not certain the plane can make it that far off that runway in EYW. I guess it is a de facto HOU flight. Does it through to HOU?

Inbound to EYW it operates DAL-MSY-EYW. Outbound it does EYW-MSY-STL.

wnflyguy
Topic Author

Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:54 pm

PHL-RDU gone and BWI-EWR gone...looks like ISP -BWI the only Washington New York hold out.
With these constant schedule changes I feel like WN is flying blind anymore.
Plus still no codeshare. Ugh ...
Wnfg  

spiritair97

Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:14 pm

Not only is it incorrect, but isn't PHX-BUF getting a 738 soon? I saw that mentioned in another thread.

knope2001

Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:24 pm

Looks like the combined WN+FL LGA-MKE is decreasing from 5x to 4x. Thought that might mean a new LGA market, but I don't see one. Anybody catch where that slot pair is going?

STT757

Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:28 pm

New:

Quoting usflyguy (Reply 35):
AUS-EWR
BNA-EWR
EWR-MSY

Gone:

EWR-BWI

This makes more sense, they were probably just filling EWR-BWI with Florida connections, not very competitive with B6's nonstops. This broadens their service from the NYC Metro area. Eventually though they will have to serve ATL from EWR, where are they going to get the slots?
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

sdoyon

Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:31 pm

Quoting knope2001 (Reply 43):
Looks like the combined WN+FL LGA-MKE is decreasing from 5x to 4x. Thought that might mean a new LGA market, but I don't see one. Anybody catch where that slot pair is going?

By my count, the first weekday in the schedule (3-11-13) has the following:

ATL: 8x
BNA: 2x
CAK: 3x
DEN: 2x
MDW: 6x
MKE: 4x
STL: 2x

Total: 27x, which I think is their entire LGA portfolio, but I'm not 100% positive.

[Edited 2012-08-27 07:34:11]

AVLAirlineFreq

Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:37 pm

ABQ-PDQ

Is that supposed to be PDX?

gizmonc

Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:49 pm

What time is the schedule to be released it is 0948 in DALLAS and nothing posted to the SWA media page?
Does everyone think it will be loaded in the system first or released to the press?

enilria

Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:15 pm

Quoting sdoyon (Reply 39):
Makes me wonder if the MSY flights will have some seats blocked off...

I'm sure on some days they will. Any real crosswind will be death for A/C performance.

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 40):
Inbound to EYW it operates DAL-MSY-EYW. Outbound it does EYW-MSY-STL.

That's sloppy. It should roundtrip to DAL or HOU to build connections.

Quoting STT757 (Reply 44):
This makes more sense, they were probably just filling EWR-BWI with Florida connections

Agreed. I think we maybe are starting to see BWI supplanted by ATL. ATL can now provide Florida from Northeast and have a decent local market. I wonder if EWR-ATL will resume.

planespotting

Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:36 pm

This schedule release will be for 2013 - MSP-MCI is already announced but won't be starting until February IIRC. DEN is probably my best guess out of DSM as well - it offers great connectivity to PHX and LAS, both popular destinations out of DSM and large WN stations.

I mean the announcement won't come until sometime in 2013.

Quoting dbo861 (Reply 37):
They've always been reluctant to enter DSM, now they're reluctant to grow.

I wouldn't say reluctant to grow - probably just reluctant to bite off more than they can chew operational-wise after the merger. I would imagine the costs/complexity to run a 2x/day operation are both fairly inexpensive and simple, and if I were them I'd like to keep it like that in the short run while they continue to deal with two airlines as one. And announcing firm expansion plans before the first regularly scheduled WN flight even hits a DSM gate when they don't lose anything by just sitting tight with a wait/see approach would be a pretty odd decision.

Of course we'd all prefer WN to immediately take DSM to 10x daily with flights to MDW, DEN, HOU, PHX, STL and MCO, but I think such a growth timeline is probably closer to 5-10 years than 6 months (from the beginning of operations).

[Edited 2012-08-27 08:38:32]
Do you like movies about gladiators?