727LOVER
Topic Author

BWI Today If No US/PI Merger

Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:17 pm

What do you think BWI would be like if there had been no US?PI merger? I'm particularly interested in TATL. Do you think PI would have concentrated Europe on BWI or CLT? There would not have been a hub 2 hours north and a large focus city operation 1 hour south, therefore no cannibalization from within. Major WN presence now?

[Edited 2012-08-26 12:18:00]
I feel woozy....what did you put in that Pudding Pop?

OzarkD9S

RE: BWI Today If No US/PI Merger

Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:48 pm

Assuming PI remained independent which is a long shot. One scenario I've imagined was if PI had stood alone long enough to take TWA of Carl Icahn's hands that would have made an interesting combo. Domestic hubs at BWI/CLT/STL (I don't see DAY surviving with STL but who knows) with the JFK operation handling the bulk of TATL with smaller ops from the domestic hubs. BWI would probably have seen service to the big 3 in Europe -London/Paris/Frankfurt at the least.

PI and TWA did have a codeshare at JFK from Upstate New York, and GSO/CLT/RDU/BWI and maybe another city or two.

It's probably likely that WN would still have invaded BWI anyway regardless of whether it was a US or PI hub and the end result may have not been much different. BWI was basically redundant in a US/PI merger with PIT and PHL so close, but under PI/TW it may have been a more important component and defended more vigorously than US's response (MetroJet).

Interesting conjecture anyway.
Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL