LAXintl
Topic Author

GoGo Internet To Be Available Over Canada Soon

Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:44 pm

Gogo which has been working on Canadian regulatory issues since 2009 has finally received the go-ahead to bring its in-flight WiFi service to both commercial and business planes that travel within Canada and cross-border to the States, allowing the provider to deliver seamless service to its customers.

Under the newly approved plans Gogo plans to have its Canada network fully operational by the end of 2013.

Press release:
Gogo Licensed to Provide In-Air Connectivity over Canada
http://pr.gogoair.com/press-room/201...ovide-air-connectivity-over-canada

=

[Edited 2012-08-29 08:48:05]
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

lostsound

RE: GoGo Internet To Be Available Over Canada Soon

Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:03 pm

So is Gogo only available if an airline/aircraft owner subscribes or can anybody on any aircraft over Canada access it?

c172akula

Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:57 pm

Isn't WS looking at an inflight wifi option? Hmm...

usxguy

Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:20 pm

There's a tower in Southeast Alaska that can be picked up in parts of southern Yukon and Northwestern British Columbia but that's about it.
xx

Dalmd88

Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:57 pm

Quoting LostSound (Reply 1):
So is Gogo only available if an airline/aircraft owner subscribes or can anybody on any aircraft over Canada access it?

The aircraft has to be equipped with gogo's antenna and receiver/router. In the US they use the old GTE airphone land stations.

longhauler

Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:01 pm

Quoting c172akula (Reply 2):
Isn't WS looking at an inflight wifi option? Hmm...

I am not sure about WS ... but AC has been pushing hard for this for years.

AC has two A319s that offer free wifi. They were a part of a test, and AC found that there is a huge demand for this service. Those two aircraft are usually found on YYZ-SAN and YYZ-LAX.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

FWAERJ

Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:20 pm

Quoting longhauler (Reply 5):
AC has been pushing hard for this for years.

AC offers Gogo on the US part of many transborder flights. This will extend AC's connectivity on transborder flights to Canada.
"Did he really need the triple bypass? Or was it the miles?"

longhauler

Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:00 am

Quoting FWAERJ (Reply 6):
AC offers Gogo on the US part of many transborder flights.

Only as many as can be flown by two aircraft, as only two A319s are wifi equipped, as part of the test.

They normally are relegated to SAN and LAX as I noted above, but equipment substitutions happen all the time.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

srbmod

Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:28 pm

I am not sure about WS ...

I think they'll likely go for it as well, as it seems to be an amenity more and more passengers are wanting.

Quoting Dalmd88 (Reply 4):
The aircraft has to be equipped with gogo's antenna and receiver/router. In the US they use the old GTE airphone land stations.

It's a pretty easy install and a fleet the size of Westjet's could be fully installed in a matter of months. AirTran installed it on 136 a/c in about two months. Delta took a bit longer, which of course considering how many different a/c types in their fleet, they had to get things approved for each a/c type that did not already have FAA certification.

canadianpylon

Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:43 pm

AC has two A319s that offer free wifi. They were a part of a test, and AC found that there is a huge demand for this service.

I could see that. With the proliferation of wi-fi enabled devices, this is is a win for the consumer. The internet is SOOO much more interesting than IFE content (You can't get a.net at 41,000ft without Gogo!)

Doesn't Lufthansa Technik have an IFE offering that is wi-fi delivered? ie: No IFE screens or cabling? This combined the Gogo internet provider would mean the anybody will an iPod/iPad/iPhone/SmartPhone/Playbook/Laptop/ could access airplane delivered content and internet-deliver content without the hardware installation of screen at every seat.
Always looking for the longest route with the most transfers.

rgreenftm

Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:08 pm

My understanding was that this was a priority for GoGo, because there is about a 45 minute window when flights from continental US to Alaska do not have service, because they are over Canada. By getting Canadian approval, AS benefits from having an uninterrupted connection for the entire ~3 hour journey. Certainly WS and AC would benefit if they signed on, but this was done primarily for AS.

srbmod

Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:13 pm

Quoting canadianpylon (Reply 9):
Doesn't Lufthansa Technik have an IFE offering that is wi-fi delivered? ie: No IFE screens or cabling? This combined the Gogo internet provider would mean the anybody will an iPod/iPad/iPhone/SmartPhone/Playbook/Laptop/ could access airplane delivered content and internet-deliver content without the hardware installation of screen at every seat.

I know Gogo has been working on such a thing with Delta and American. Delta has it installed on their 757-300 fleet.

usxguy

Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:00 pm

Quoting rgreenftm (Reply 10):
My understanding was that this was a priority for GoGo, because there is about a 45 minute window when flights from continental US to Alaska do not have service, because they are over Canada. By getting Canadian approval, AS benefits from having an uninterrupted connection for the entire ~3 hour journey. Certainly WS and AC would benefit if they signed on, but this was done primarily for AS.

I fly frequently between Juneau and Seattle. We lose GoGo when about 5 minutes south of Ketchikan and don't get it back until we're about 100 miles north of Seattle, so Victoria, BC-ish?

Putting a tower up in Prince Rupert, Port Hardy, and Comox, BC would fill that gap.
xx