Aircellist
Topic Author

Petition To Carry Musical Instruments On Board

Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:07 pm

Cellist Paul Katz had a distressing moment on Westjet a few days ago. He thought he had purchased a ticket to fly from YYC to LAX on AA... yet, because of a codeshare, he was indeed on Westjet. He had purchased a ticket to carry his cello, a 1669 Andrea Guarneri which must be valued a small fortune, onboard.

Once in the plane, he was told, to his great distress, that he had to send his cello in the luggage compartment. He's been bumped after boarding. This is his story, written as it unfolded.

http://articles.boston.com/2012-08-2...6_1_cello-flight-attendant-westjet

Excerpt:

Quote:
Check the cello in baggage or get off the plane. That’s my choice.

“Sweet,” I say. “If I get off, how will you get me there?"

“Please understand, sir, the cello will not be allowed on any other WestJet aircraft.”

“Will you put me on another airline?”

“That will be your own responsibility.”

In the aftermath, an exchange happened between him and a Westjet customer agent.

http://cellobello.com/blog/index.php...tjets-robert-barron-and-paul-katz/

Excerpt:

Robert Barron:
One lesson perhaps to be learned from this is always to check your airline booking for codeshare and interline flights; these are becoming more and more common, and not all airlines’ policies, allowances, etc., are the same. As Mr Katz learned to his distress, what is allowable on one airline may not be on another. It’s best never to make assumptions, especially when there are any special circumstances such as a disability, special diet – or a musical instrument – are involved.

Paul Katz:
This response, implying I am the problem, infuriates me! In the bewildering world of online purchases and codeshares, does the airline itself have NO responsibility? Why was I able to buy a ticket for a cello on WestJet if you don’t allow them on board? Why should you not program your computers to reject cello tickets? Airlines have programmed their computers to close Frequent Flyer accounts opened in the name of a cello, and yet you allow us to pay for a seat , arrive at the gate, board the plane, an then, after throwing us off, lecture us that we didn’t do proper homework!

From the whole story, I get the feeling the company does not take any responsibility at all.

This brought to the forefront an online petition: Fair treatment for musicians traveling on planes with their instruments

https://www.change.org/petitions/fair-treatment-for-musicians-traveling-on-planes-with-their-instruments

Please, fellow A.netters, take the time to sign this so that my colleagues and me could travel more easily. I also find highly unpleasant to have to give an instrument to send it to the luggage compartment, even though my cello is worth a hundred times (at least) less than Paul Katz', I do feel the same way whenever it happens. Plus, it missed a connection once (in CDG...).
"When I find out I was wrong, I change my mind. What do you do?" -attributed to John Maynard Keynes

HPRamper

RE: Petition To Carry Musical Instruments On Board

Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:35 pm

I've never even seen a booking site or engine that did not specify if the flight was a codeshare. I believe it is policy to list a flight as such. If one books through an agency or lets corporate travel do the booking, then it may be different but Katz himself seems to imply he booked online.

The story seems exaggerated as well. A bumpy takeoff? Does YYC have speed bumps on the runway? If the cello is in a proper case a little turbulence is not going to damage it especially in the manner he seems to be afraid of, as if a little jostle is going to shatter the thing.

phljjs

Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:44 pm

Sorry, but I really don't have any sympathy for this person.

When purchasing an airline ticket, it's pretty easy to see which carrier is actually operating the flight and whether or not the flight is a code-share of some sort. It's up to the passenger to do his due diligence and research what, if any, policies apply to them, their luggage and any "special items" they may be traveling with. All of that information can easily be obtained on the airlines websites, but the key is to do your homework. Apparently, this person took prior experiences for granted and it bit him in the butt.

I frequently travel with a firearm in my checked luggage. I've never had an issue with any of the different airlines that I've flown. That doesn't mean that I won't have a problem in the future. Most airlines have very similar policies for firearms, but some are different. Before I book a ticket, I do my research and make sure the airline I wish to travel on does indeed accept firearms in checked luggage. I also review their policies on how they need to be packed, what type of bag is required, etc. Sitting down and reading for 5 or 10 minutes can save you a lot of time and trouble when you show up at the ticket counter to check in.

cheeken

Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:24 pm

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 1):
The story seems exaggerated as well. A bumpy takeoff? Does YYC have speed bumps on the runway? If the cello is in a proper case a little turbulence is not going to damage it especially in the manner he seems to be afraid of, as if a little jostle is going to shatter the thing.

It's not the turbulence that kills the instrument, (okay it can be the cause if there is) but rather the temperature and the air pressure of the cargo holds that are extremely hostile to instruments, particularly those made of wood (strings/guitars/harps)

kl911

Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:39 pm

Quoting phljjs (Reply 2):
When purchasing an airline ticket, it's pretty easy to see which carrier is actually operating the flight and whether or not the flight is a code-share of some sort. It's up to the passenger to do his due diligence and research what, if any, policies apply to them, their luggage and any "special items" they may be traveling with.

I agree 100%. Unfortunately not everybody is willing to take the time for this, and then afterwards complain.
No excuses, everybody knows how important it is to read the conditions, doesnt matter if its a new tv, microwave or plane ticket.

b727fa

Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:59 pm

If you're that important of an artist and have such a valuable instrument, then I think you'd have traveled enough to know how to "know" what you're in for. If you know to buy a ticket for it, then you know how to "find" the rules.

Took me about 3 minutes to find this:
Musical instruments: Although seats may not be purchased for instruments, we will accept small instruments as part of the carry-on baggage allowance. Exceptions may be made for irregular-sized instruments. All instruments must be stowed in the overhead compartment, under the seat or in other approved locations. This is left to the discretion of the cabin crew and Customer Service Agent upon checking flight and baggage loads. Instruments may also be accepted in checked baggage when they are properly packed. Applicable excess baggage fees will apply.
http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/trav...basics/baggage/special-items.shtml

http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/travel/basics/baggage/code-share.shtml
From the AA link:
Musical Instruments
Small musical instruments may be carried onboard the aircraft providing they meet existing carry-on size requirements and fit in the overhead bin or under the seat in front of you. Case dimensions may not exceed 45 dimensional inches (width + length + height), except for guitars which may be brought on board only if they can be safely stowed in an overhead bin or approved stowage location in the cabin.

The instrument is considered the passenger's one allowed carry-on bag. A personal item is allowed in addition to the instrument.
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

Aesma

Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:37 pm

He says he bought a seat for the cello, what's up with that ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

phljjs

Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:55 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 6):

I've seen people do that before, however, I don't see how it could be done online since you have to input birth dates, passport numbers, etc. I don't think you can get through the booking process without filling in all the info. He would have input fake information to get it to work.

Ticket agents at the airport and perhaps the call center can complete the booking. I've seen people carrying large musical instruments on US Airways. They had a boarding pass in the name of "A. Cello."

The part of the story where he said he bought the extra seat online made me suspicious of him and his ordeal. If Westjet or AA doesn't allow large musical instruments in the cabin, why would they let you buy a ticket for one?

canoecarrier

Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:18 pm

Quoting phljjs (Reply 7):
I've seen people do that before, however, I don't see how it could be done online since you have to input birth dates, passport numbers, etc. I don't think you can get through the booking process without filling in all the info. He would have input fake information to get it to work.

Ticket agents at the airport and perhaps the call center can complete the booking. I've seen people carrying large musical instruments on US Airways. They had a boarding pass in the name of "A. Cello."

I've seen it done two ways, either purchased as an extra seat in the passengers name. As in they bought an empty seat next to them. People without instruments do that sometimes as well. Or, as you mention they'll buy a ticket for "Cello (last name)". You can make up birth dates if you're flying domestically, the TSA isn't going to look for a drivers license for an instrument.

When I worked at the airport we had a regular that flew with his cello quite often. We even had a professional violinist purchase a seat for her violin every time she flew.

I don't have any sympathy for this guy. Cellos are not small instruments and anyone that travels with them frequently should know the rules already or at least know to look them up before you fly.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

strfyr51

Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:14 pm

many cellos are nearly Priceless and cannot BE replaced, My take?? INSURE THE Cello to the HILT Make prior arrangements with the airline. DO NOT accept code shares and STAY off Low Rent airlines Because any Reputable airline would allow you to buy a seat so that your Cello or Double Bass might travel Neck Down inside it's case. Ive been on flights with yo yo Ma and Ron Carter and Both of them had their instrument sitting beside them. I'm not sure what airline WOULDNT understand that.

ScottishDavie

Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:07 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 6):

Maybe I'm missing the point but surely the rules quoted in reply 5 are directed towards carrying musical instruments as hand baggage. That's not exactly what this guy was trying to do - he was carrying his cello as an additional fare-paying passenger, so to speak. If he has bought a seat for the cello and it fits securely into that seat where exactly is the problem apart from a lack of common sense and flexibility on the part of Westjet?

b727fa

Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:56 pm

I would never travel with it neck down--in ANY kind of case. Still, he should know how to fly with his cello. I live in CVG. How does our world class symphony travel all around the world with their priceless instruments in cargo?
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

Viscount724

Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:13 pm

Quoting ScottishDavie (Reply 10):
Quoting Aesma (Reply 6):

Maybe I'm missing the point but surely the rules quoted in reply 5 are directed towards carrying musical instruments as hand baggage. That's not exactly what this guy was trying to do - he was carrying his cello as an additional fare-paying passenger, so to speak. If he has bought a seat for the cello and it fits securely into that seat where exactly is the problem apart from a lack of common sense and flexibility on the part of Westjet?

Because WestJet makes it very clear in their rules, easily found on their website, that they DO NOT sell extra seats for musical instruments. Instruments carried on have to be "small" which certainly doesn't describe a cello.

Westjet also includes the following in the baggage section of their website, followed by links to the baggage rules of all their codeshare partners. Since this passenger was travelling on an AA ticket, not a WS ticket, perhaps AA wasn't as clear in their website. He should then be complaining to AA for selling him a ticket that couldn't be used, not WS.

Code-share baggage info

Travelling with one of our airline partners? Be sure to familiarize yourself with their baggage allowances and fees as they may be different from ours.

[Edited 2012-09-02 13:18:57]

[Edited 2012-09-02 13:19:54]

ScottishDavie

Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:32 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 12):
Because WestJet makes it very clear in their rules, easily found on their website, that they DO NOT sell extra seats for musical instruments.

Exactly as I said - lack of common sense and flexibility. What does it matter to Westjet whether a seat is occupied by a human being or a musical instrument? They still get paid the same and at least the musical instrument isn't likely to get drunk, become disruptive or fail to comply with cabin crew instructions.  

ORDJOE

Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:59 pm

Quoting strfyr51 (Reply 9):
any cellos are nearly Priceless and cannot BE replaced, My take?? INSURE THE Cello to the HILT Make prior arrangements with the airline. DO NOT accept code shares and STAY off Low Rent airlines Because any Reputable airline would allow you to buy a seat so that your Cello or Double Bass might travel Neck Down inside it's case. Ive been on flights with yo yo Ma and Ron Carter and Both of them had their instrument sitting beside them. I'm not sure what airline WOULDNT understand that.

Agreed, I have no sympathy for this jack ass who seems to think the airline will bend to his will due to him being a professional or having a priceless instrument (as a note I do not doubt the instrument costs a ton of money, my sister plays cello and even a crappy one will be 20K and up). When you book codeshare it always says under it "operated by XYZ" he did not due his dilligence.
He seems like one of the many who think the airline will make exceptions or try to pull the "do you know who I am." He could have booked a connecting flight on AA or whomever's metal to ensure it stayed in the passenger cabin.

Goodbye

Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:02 pm

To be fair, most average people when they're booking a flight on an airline's website expect to be flying with that airline. 90% of people wouldn't have a clue what a "codeshare" is nor what it means for them.

One of my friends is travelling in the US at the moment, he didn't know what airline he was flying there on (from Australia!), nor what airline he was travelling around the US on ("whatever the travel agent booked for me"), so the fact that this gentleman wasn't aware his flight was operated by WestJet isn't that hard to understand.
✈︎

PHX787

Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:06 pm

Quoting ScottishDavie (Reply 13):
Exactly as I said - lack of common sense and flexibility. What does it matter to Westjet whether a seat is occupied by a human being or a musical instrument? They still get paid the same and at least the musical instrument isn't likely to get drunk, become disruptive or fail to comply with cabin crew instructions.

true but can you securely use a seatbelt to strap a cello in?

When I bring my guitars on board, I usually ask the F/As to put the guitar behind the last First Class seat if there's no room in the overhead. If I'm in first class, the F/As usually put it above my seat. But then again it's a guitar, not a cello  
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

ooslc

Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:41 pm

How did he make it all the way to his seat with a huge cello without a single agent at WS seeing it!?!?! It would have been less of a blow if an agent saw it during check in. Surely two boarding passes popped out of the machine. When the agent asked him for his passport, I'm surprised he/she didn't catch that there was no passport for the cello. Seems fishy to me.

nitepilot79

Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:41 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 16):

Only if you "B#" enough. If not, then one has to "C" it to "B" leave it   

trex8

Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:57 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 16):

Yes

My daughter is a cellist, she has a $3000 air travel case for checking it in but its so heavy if she goes somewhere where she has to carry it around a lot - say she is going to a music camp as opposed to just doing a performance, she gets another seat for it and uses a lightweight case you can carry on your back. She usually flies UA and getting a E+ bulkhead seat guarantees no problems. Its not allowed in exit rows. She has managed to fit it in a regular coach seat but it seems to vary with type of plane/seat- also sometimes it will stop the person in front from reclining completely. FAs are usually very good about accommodating her. We had one issue recently with DL, she was using grandparents freq flier miles as she was going to ATL so figured there must be so many flights and they can't all be completely full. I called DL and spent over an hour twice trying to get a bulkhead seat- they won't release till day of flight and people with medical issues get first dibs at it, they ("supervisors" ) also claimed there would be zero issues with a regular seat and it fitting and they "absolutely knew it would be fine in a regular seat" and there were specified seat locations for such instruments in the cabin but no one could tell me exactly which seat on a MD80 this was! I think they didn't know the size difference between a guitar and a cello! They were wrong about it fitting but fortunately the flight wasn't full so it manged to fit at an angle for 2 seats. Maybe when they have economy comfort on all DL flights it won't be an issue as it would be like UA E+ space wise. WN has moved people from bulkhead seats to allow her cello to get in there.

You can book another seat for an instrument on line very easily on every airline we have tried. TSA doesn't ask to see the id to certify the birth date or sex when you bring it up to them, in fact they usually don't even check its got its own boarding pass, thats only important for the gate agent, FAs. She usually books it as surname, cello instrument

Some research and preparation helps but it also helps if the airline have a clue! Some don't.

She called UA Mileage Plus once to ask if she could get an account for the cello, they said that would not be appropriate!  

OB1504

Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:05 am

I've never even seen a booking site or engine that did not specify if the flight was a codeshare. I believe it is policy to list a flight as such.

Indeed, I believe a company would be opening itself up to fines from the DOT if it did not disclose codeshare flights.

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 8):
I've seen it done two ways, either purchased as an extra seat in the passengers name. As in they bought an empty seat next to them.

This is how I've usually seen it done, and the customer was then issued two boarding passes for himself/herself and the instrument. I can't recall if had to go on the floor (the bottom of the case) or could be in the seat, though.

prosa

Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:08 am

If the cello is worth millions of dollars, why wasn't it shipped using an armed courier service?
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

nitepilot79

Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:17 am

Quoting OB1504 (Reply 20):
This is how I've usually seen it done, and the customer was then issued two boarding passes for himself/herself and the instrument.

I've never felt the need to name any of my musical instruments until now!

Mir

Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:46 am

Quoting PROSA (Reply 21):
If the cello is worth millions of dollars, why wasn't it shipped using an armed courier service?

You don't realize how much (or should I say how little) musicians make, do you? That's not going to be financially possible.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

HPRamper

Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:28 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 23):
You don't realize how much (or should I say how little) musicians make, do you? That's not going to be financially possible.

Hmm, then how could said individual have acquired a multimillion dollar instrument? Charitable gesture?

Mir

Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:39 am

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 24):
Hmm, then how could said individual have acquired a multimillion dollar instrument? Charitable gesture?

Some instruments are loaned, but most are purchased. Doesn't mean they have a lot of disposable income hanging around to spend on armed escorts for it. By your logic, anyone who owns expensive camera equipment should be very well-off, but we know that's not the case. Some people need to spend money there and cut back elsewhere - this is no different.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

jetjack74

Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:00 am

Honestly, are we to believe that the world should stop for this guy, because he CHOOSES to cart around some sort of "sacred relic of string instruments" because he thinks it makes him play better? If he really cared enough about this silly thing, he would insure it everywhere he goes instead of imposing it's presence upon the traveling public. If having to check your cello is "unthinkable" as he puts it, then why would you agree to travel and not take another flight where your 2nd seat for your cello(paid at a fraction of a real seat price) is honored? This rationale bewilders me. And then he writes some silly story about having a nervous breakdown inflight, where everyone is supposed to hold your hand while you sob like a 2 year-old??? I'd crap on it if I had the opportunity. We're going to be held liable as some sort of "Americans With Musical Abilities Act" to disguise it as some kind of civil right's protection. Give me a break.

Quoting Mir (Reply 25):

Some instruments are loaned, but most are purchased. Doesn't mean they have a lot of disposable income hanging around to spend on armed escorts for it. By your logic, anyone who owns expensive camera equipment should be very well-off, but we know that's not the case. Some people need to spend money there and cut back elsewhere - this is no different.

-Mir

By my logic, anyone who owns an expensive camera, an expensive house or expensive sports car should be able to provide for it's upkeep, storage and care. If you can't, don't buy it and let somebody who can buy it. Otherwise, it's your fault if it gets damaged.
Made from jets!

BN747DFWHNL

Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:00 am

Few thoughts from a professional musician and plane geek:

1) WestJet's policy makes zero sense. It is common practice to allow cellists to buy a seat for their instruments when they fly. We're not talking about a floor lamp that Aunt Mathilda wants to take with her back to Poughkeepsie. We're talking about a piece of equipment, musical in nature, which is depended upon by the musician to earn a living. If that piece of equipment is damaged from being checked under the aircraft, they can't do their job. Although I don't play the cello, I would not use the special hard case that cellists can buy (at an exorbitant price) to check the instrument under the aircraft: I would always buy a seat so I knew where the instrument was at all times and how it was being treated.

2) The whole codeshare system is deceitful. "Oh, look: you can fly us all the way from Hartford, CT, to Thunderhead, BC, Canada (fictional)....well, not really, heh heh: you can fly us from Hartford to [insert connecting city of your choice] to Vancouver, BC, and then you'll fly on Flying Geese (fictional) Airlines to Thunderhead (only thing is that Flying Geese Airlines is written in small letters on your itinerary and Big Name-Recognition Airlines with a 7800 (fictional) flight number is what is listed in bigger letters, along with your other bigger-letter type for the other Big Name-Recognition AIrlines' flights)." It's just like how you go to baggage claim and see fifteen different airlines and fifteen different flight numbers listed for your one flight (Air India flies from Cleveland to Chicago....huh?). We're supposed to think, erroneously unfortunately, that everything is all streamlined and hassle-free.

3) Related to 2) above: if airlines are going to scratch each other's marketing backs and make it seem like they're one conglomerate, then they need to streamline their requisite policies into one policy so stuff like this doesn't happen. If one company decides to do something differently than the general practice of most airlines, especially airlines it codeshares with, this makes no sense and is a disservice to the customer. If the airlines are going to market their flights under the codeshare and use the bigger airline's name, then the smaller airline's policy needs to match the larger airline's policy.

4) WestJet flies the same aircraft that are flown by dozens of other airlines around the world, dozens of other airlines who understand there's a small percentage of their customers who have a very special circumstance when they fly, dozens of other airlines who understand that a purchased seat is a purchased seat, no matter whether a human butt is in it or the backside of a cello case. Heck, they should be HAPPY to have a cello "sitting" in the paid-for seat: it doesn't complain when the flight is delayed, it doesn't ask for a special meal, and, most importantly, it adds less weight to the cabin than 90% of the mass in the other seats.

[Edited 2012-09-03 00:02:56]

[Edited 2012-09-03 00:05:52]

[Edited 2012-09-03 00:12:26]

cheeken

Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:40 am

Quoting B727FA (Reply 11):

I would never travel with it neck down--in ANY kind of case. Still, he should know how to fly with his cello. I live in CVG. How does our world class symphony travel all around the world with their priceless instruments in cargo?

They don't. For instruments too big to be carried, they rent it at their destination, and for celli, they put them in flight cases, or most of the time they are provided with a spare seat for it. And for the rest, everything goes into the cabin!

Quoting jetjack74 (Reply 26):
By my logic, anyone who owns an expensive camera, an expensive house or expensive sports car should be able to provide for it's upkeep, storage and care. If you can't, don't buy it and let somebody who can buy it. Otherwise, it's your fault if it gets damaged.

upkeep, storage and care, in the case of a flight = bringing it into the cabin and not leaving it in cargo conditions.

jetjack74

Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:53 am

Quoting cheeken (Reply 28):
upkeep, storage and care, in the case of a flight = bringing it into the cabin and not leaving it in cargo conditions.

How about leaving it at home and taking a less-expensive cello?

This is what I would do with it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=749iU2Zv1kw

[Edited 2012-09-03 00:58:22]
Made from jets!

PanHAM

Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:06 am

Quoting PROSA (Reply 21):

because you don't give it to people who might shoot holes into the Cello.

LOL - some answers here are unbelievable

An instrument made in 1669 is priceless. Simple as that. Priceless means, you cannot buy a new one because there ain't new ones on the market. unfortunately, the manufacturer dies some time ago and the skills to make them like that are no longer available..

To make it udnerstandable for some guys here, Willie Nelson would not be Willie Nelson without Trigger. I doubt that ´Trigger ever saw the bellyhold of an aircraft.

Now, although United breaks guitars, this story show how needed legacy carriers are, who still understand particular needs of their customers. There is a mreason why some musical instruments are carried in the main cabin. has to do with culture as well.

The old culture, not the new one created by cheapos of all kinds of trades.