GSP psgr
Topic Author

Is Southwest About To Max Out At Midway?

Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:23 pm

Given the finite amount of facilities at Midway and the rate at which WN has been growing, is likely that they're soon going to hit a wall in terms of the number of flights they can run out of there (leading to the recent growth spurts at STL and MKE)?

TWA902fly

RE: Is Southwest About To Max Out At Midway?

Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:47 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they maxed out at MDW quite a long time ago. I believe given their amount of gates they are operating either at or near the maximum amount of flights.

'902
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

United787

Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:14 pm

What is their current MDW market share? They could grow some more by just pushing the few remaining airlines out. Would be scary if WN was 100% of MDW flights...

flyiguy

Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:21 pm

Currently other than WN, there is Delta, Frontier, Porter and Volaris. All others operate either solely at ORD or in conjunction. MDW for WN is currently at or close to the 250 flight mark per day.

FLY
The opinions I post are of mine and mine alone, not of the airline I work for.

INFINITI329

Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:40 pm

Quoting United787 (Reply 2):
What is their current MDW market share? They could grow some more by just pushing the few remaining airlines out. Would be scary if WN was 100% of MDW flights...

WN operates out of 2/3 concourses at MDW.. I would say they're market share is not 100% but in the high 90%

Mexicana757

Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:12 am

Quoting infiniti329 (Reply 4):
Quoting United787 (Reply 2):

WN operates out of 2/3 concourses at MDW.. I would say they're market share is not 100% but in the high 90%

Southwest/Airtran have about 94% of the market share at MDW. According to BTS.gov WN has 90.1% and FL 3.3% share at MDW.

Quoting TWA902fly (Reply 1):
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they maxed out at MDW quite a long time ago. I believe given their amount of gates they are operating either at or near the maximum amount of flights.

I'm sure WN could add more flights at MDW, combined with FL they have 32 of the 43 gates at MDW. The problem they have is not enough space for sorting bags from what I have read on here. This has caused delays in the past.

The resent build up at both MKE and STL is probably due to WN not wanting to put all their eggs in one basket in case there are storms that will cause major delays at MDW affecting otther flights through out the system. You can route passengers through both of those airports.

steex

Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:15 am

Quoting Mexicana757 (Reply 5):
The resent build up at both MKE and STL is probably due to WN not wanting to put all their eggs in one basket in case there are storms that will cause major delays at MDW affecting otther flights through out the system. You can route passengers through both of those airports.

The STL/MKE operations aren't all about being a MDW reliever, WN is the market leader for O&D traffic in those cities too.

ScottB

Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:09 am

Quoting GSP psgr (Thread starter):

No, not really. Even with just under 250 daily departures and 29 gates, they're still only operating a bit over 8 daily turns per gate, and that's below their typical target of 10 daily turns per gate. The MDW terminal has 43 gates and the other carriers use at most 6 gates. So there are still several unused gates at MDW (I believe the three-gate Concourse C has been closed-off) which would allow WN to expand service if desired. The airfield capacity is probably the key limiting factor since the IMC AAR is under 30/hour.

Cubsrule

Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:12 am

Quoting ScottB (Reply 7):
The airfield capacity is probably the key limiting factor since the IMC AAR is under 30/hour.

True, but that would still permit 300 plus WN flights over a more than 12 hour day.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

airliner371

Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:27 am

Southwest continues to add MDW flights slowly, I think they are trying to add flights but slowly to keep a track of when there start to be too many flight so they don't all the sudden over crowd the airport.

Keep in mind F9 now flies from C2 opening up one more gate on A.

elbandgeek

Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:32 am

Quoting airliner371 (Reply 9):
Keep in mind F9 now flies from C2 opening up one more gate on A.

Already spoken for. The gate they were using was an FIS gate which F9 didn't need but WN/FL did for the new CUN flight and that's why they moved F9 over to C.

airliner371

Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:37 am

Quote:
Already spoken for. The gate they were using was an FIS gate which F9 didn't need but WN/FL did for the new CUN flight and that's why they moved F9 over to C.

You seem to know alot about MDW  , Is there room for DL to go to C as well or is that too much. Thank you.

Tbone354

Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:41 am

I do not know. Is it? Shoulda, coulda, woulda?

alggag

Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:41 am

Speaking as a passenger I've started actively avoiding MDW unless I'm headed to Chicago itself. It used to be my favorite airport in the WN network but I am now turned off by how crowded the terminal is and the fact that the on time performance tends to be dismal late in the day.

Also, out of Houston MDW only makes sense for connections to a couple of cities that I so far haven't needed to go to.

airliner371

Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:49 am

Quote:
Is there room for DL to go to C as well or is that too much.

I can half answer my question, Delta operated one flights today from C1 but that was it, the rest were in A.

Mexicana757

Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:09 am

Quoting elbandgeek (Reply 10):

CDA is creating room for future international flights out of the airport. Porter tends to use A3 a lot, Y4 and FL use A2 for their FIS arrivals. But A1 is needed when the Y4 flights are running behind schedule and A2 and A3 are blocked.

Quoting airliner371 (Reply 11):
You seem to know alot about MDW, Is there room for DL to go to C as well or is that too much. Thank you.

DL would have a hard time running all of their ops out of concourse C unless F9 is moved back to concourse A. Concourse C only has 3 gates. Not much seating in C. Jet Purple (Public Charters) tends to use C for their flights to MBS. Hard for DL to have all of their ops there unless the city expanded the concourse adding one or two gates. Even if they did I think C would make a better fit for the FIS facilities and common use gates.

Mexicana757

Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:11 am

Quoting airliner371 (Reply 14):
I can half answer my question, Delta operated one flights today from C1 but that was it, the rest were in A.

The flight that tends to operate out of C1 is usually the flight that RON's from DTW.

airliner371

Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:15 am

What are DL's actual gates not including common use or C.

ORD Boy 2

Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:27 am

The one thing that always gets me is that US, AA and UA never made a profit out of MDW. I would think UA could have flights to EWR, CLE, IAD and/or DEN. AA Could make it to LGA, DFW or MIA, and US to CLT or PHL pretty easily for feed to other flights, and they could get feed from the southern suburbs and western suburbs as well as NW Indiana without harming the main ORD station and hubs.

Mexicana757

Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:32 am

Quoting airliner371 (Reply 17):
What are DL's actual gates not including common use or C.

Delta gates are A5, A7 and A10.

airliner371

Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:33 am

Quote:
The one thing that always gets me is that US, AA and UA never made a profit out of MDW. I would think UA could have flights to EWR, CLE, IAD and/or DEN. AA Could make it to LGA, DFW or MIA, and US to CLT or PHL pretty easily for feed to other flights, and they could get feed from the southern suburbs and western suburbs as well as NW Indiana without harming the main ORD station and hubs

I would point you to the "Why No UA (or AA) Point-to-point Flights From MDW?" thread for more on that so this thread can stay on the topic.

airliner371

Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:37 am

Quote:
Delta gates are A5, A7 and A10.

Thank you very much! So couldn't they move to the 3 C gates and use a common use gate if needed and move F9 back to A using one gate. That way WN can use 2 more gates. That is the most efficient way to use all the gates I can think of.

On another note, is there anywhere that gates can be expanded or a new terminal can be built if flights warrant it?

strfyr51

Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:02 am

Quoting airliner371 (Reply 20):

Keeping an airline operating is not something taken lightly. If UA or AA split their operation like NYC between LGA. JFK and EWR there would have to REALLY be a pile of money in it because the fuel handling and space for parts and ground Equipment could cost more than it's worth to fly out of there. Frankly? there's no demonstrated NEED to serve MDW.
Everybody IN Chicago can get to ORD, By Bus ,Road, or Rail! ORD is WELL Served. Is this an Idle Speculation or are you making a case FOR MDW?? Frankly? The Gary Airport is closer to downtown than Midway is and Metra has some pretty good service in there as well.

mke717spotter

Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:32 am

Quoting strfyr51 (Reply 22):
The Gary Airport is closer to downtown than Midway is and Metra has some pretty good service in there as well.

It takes like 15 minutes to get from downtown to MDW on the Orange Line.
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

BMI727

Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:41 am

Everybody IN Chicago can get to ORD, By Bus ,Road, or Rail! ORD is WELL Served.

That's kind of part of the issue. Midway is closer to downtown and a bit easier to get to but a) not nearly everybody lives or works downtown, plenty of the northern and western suburbs would be better served by O'Hare or even Milwaukee and b) it isn't that far or difficult to get to O'Hare. Midway isn't like London City or YTZ. (Chicago did that. It didn't end well)
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

fghtngsiouxatc

Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:24 am

The rumor everyone keeps hearing is that the city will be tearing down the old Odyssey Aviation building and the NG building when they vacate their hangar next year. The supposed plan is to build a new international terminal. Again, just a rumor.

jcwr56

Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:21 am

Quoting fghtngsiouxatc (Reply 25):

Just a rumor, CDA right now has a severe issue with relationships between the airlines in general. Erin is running MDW ( and she doing a good job) but it's known adding intl flights (new carriers) at MDW is pissing off the carriers at ORD. A few flights is one thing, but the city will be risking an all out war if they desire a new Intl terminal.

The WN, F9 route awarding didn't help and with Interjet looking to start CHI, the ORD carriers are waiting to see which airport the CDA is pushing them towards.

Fun times politically...

Cubsrule

Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:57 pm

Quoting jcwr56 (Reply 26):
Erin is running MDW ( and she doing a good job) but it's known adding intl flights (new carriers) at MDW is pissing off the carriers at ORD.

As far as new carriers, that doesn't make sense. If the carrier is going to start CHI regardless, wouldn't the ORD carriers prefer that they be at MDW so at least they are competing a little less directly (and not gumming up Terminal 5)?

airliner371

Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:35 pm

Quote:
The rumor everyone keeps hearing is that the city will be tearing down the old Odyssey Aviation building and the NG building

That seems like a small lot of land, is it and how many gates could go there?

knope2001

Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:57 pm

For what it's worth, here are WN/FL departures by 30-minute blocks at Midway using a Thursday in late March:

0530 X
0600 X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X
0630 X X X X X X X
0700 X X X X
0730 X X X X X X X
0800 X X X X X X X X
0830 X X X X X X X X X X X X X X
0900 X X X X X
0930 X X X X X
1000 X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X
1030 X X X
1100 X X X
1130 X X X X X X X
1200 X X X X X X X
1230 X X X X
1300 X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X
1330 X X X X X X X X
1400 X X X
1430 X X X X X X X X
1500 X X X X X X X
1530 X X X X X X X
1600 X X
1630 X X X X X X X X X X X
1700 X X X X X X X
1730 X X X
1800 X X X X X
1830 X X X X
1900 X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X
1930 X X X X X
2000 X X X X X
2030 X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X
2100 X X X X X X X
2130 X X X X X X X X X X X X

Now of course you can't simply assume 18 flights per half-hour block is max and assume they can do 12 more flights from 630-659, 14 more flights 700-729, etc. Far, far from it. And remember that while planes may only spend about 30 minutes on the ground at Midway, passengers and bags spend a lot more time than that. And you have to have some slack in the gate planning so a single delayed flight doesn't destroy the system. But this does show that there are valleys in usage where some additional trips could be added. It's important to note, however, that some of these lower-use periods are less desirable in the big picture, perhaps because of time of day demand, because of connection needs, or simply because it's logistically not easy to get an aircraft to MDW at that particular time of day...it doesn't make sense to have an aircraft sit idle at an outstation every day until 9:30am so it can hit some magical gap in the MDW schedule when a gate is open.

There is room at Midway to perhaps add more flights to places like CLT, DCA, MEM, DAY, ROC, etc., but not that much room and not always at desirable times. So my guess is that the total number of flights at MDW won't increase much, and when they do add couple of trips to Charlotte, it may well be funded by cutting a frequency elsewhere, either in a high-frequency market like STL or by dropping a nonstop market like IND or ISP (which were recently axed).

Sometimes people confuse the capacity issue at Midway and turn it into "Southwest can't/won't add DCA-MDW because they are at capacity" assertions. Even if MDW is at capacity, they can certainly add DCA-MDW by adjusting what they do with their capacity.

jcwr56

Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:21 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 27):

For Intl flights, Customs sees ORD and MDW as one. So while ORD is the preferred Port of Entry, Customs is pulling staff from ORD to handle the increase flight activity at MDW. What that has done is causing processing wait times to sky rocket.

There's also the rates and charges the city has. Carriers locally don't see other airlines as the enemy when new entrants are announced. If anything, the mindset is they're welcome, for each new carrier the operating cost goes down overall.

If there is one thing that collectively the airlines are always in agreement on, is to keep an eye on how the city is spending the airlines money.

Regarding the cap for MDW, there's the theoritical limit and then there's the "real word" limit.

wjcandee

Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:31 pm

The Gary Airport is closer to downtown than Midway is and Metra has some pretty good service in there as well.

People's respect ratings stay low when they just indiscriminately say stuff that is demonstrably untrue.

From Google maps: from Downtown Chicago (5454 East Wacker Drive) to Gary/Chicago International Airport: THIRTY-TWO MILES, 44 Minutes.

From 5454 East Wacker Drive to MDW: TWELVE.5 MILES, 16 Minutes.

And it's about 25 minutes on the Orange Line to Midway. $2.25

Fifty-Eight Minutes on the South Shore Line to Gary/Chicago Airport: $6

wnflyguy

Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:31 pm

There have been so many rumors about Who was going to get what gates.
Old rumor Delta was moving to the C gates. WN was picking up 2 xtra gates.
F9 moved to the C2 gate.
NEW Rumor is that WN is moving the last few FL ATL flights to Gate C3 AND A2
WN will take over A10 from DL and gates A12,A14 and A16 from FL.
This should give WN about 70 move flights to add.
Plus once WN starts red eye flying you can ADD about 10 more flights.
Then by 2016 WN should be Tapped out at MDW.
WNFG 
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

southwest737500

Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:39 pm

I think CLT,MEM DCA and maybe TUL will see service from MDW

CLT-3 flights
MEM-3 flights
DCA-2 flights
TUL- 2
Next flight: TUL-ATL-CLT CRJ900 and MD88

airliner371

Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:43 pm

Quote:
DCA-2 flights

They have to be more competitive then this. I would expect something around 5 flights.

Quote:
CLT-3 flights

Same with this one, they have to be more competitive then this. I would expect something around 5 flights.

southwest737500

Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:46 pm

Quoting airliner371 (Reply 34):

I agree. Considering MDW is there largest focus city, they could easily have 5 flights and then it will funnel there other flights
Next flight: TUL-ATL-CLT CRJ900 and MD88

ckfred

Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:42 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 24):
That's kind of part of the issue. Midway is closer to downtown and a bit easier to get to but a) not nearly everybody lives or works downtown, plenty of the northern and western suburbs would be better served by O'Hare or even Milwaukee and b) it isn't that far or difficult to get to O'Hare. Midway isn't like London City or YTZ. (Chicago did that. It didn't end well)

If there is no traffic on the Kennedy, ORD is slightly quicker to get to than MDW from the Loop. As many times as I've tried, I've never hit all of the traffic lights green on Cicero between the terminal and the Stevenson. There have been times where I have sailed on the Stevenson, only to hit every red light on Cicero, with a fair amount of traffic that never gets up ot the speed limit.

If there is any sort of a traffic bottleneck on the Kennedy, then it is faster to MDW from the Loop. If you are talking leaving the Loop at 5pm and both expressways are crawling, then it's a toss-up, but probably 65-35 in favor of MDW.

deltairlines

Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:06 pm

Quoting wnflyguy (Reply 32):
WN will take over A10 from DL and gates A12,A14 and A16 from FL.

And where would Delta pick up extra gate space?

There's no way Delta can make 20 daily flights (6 ATL, 8 MSP, 6 DTW) work out of 2 gates. As it stands, Delta has 3 departures at roughly the same time for the morning bank, at 900a, 1100a and 400p. And that's not even when they add their on-again, off-again 7th ATL-MDW flight (as they had this past summer).

wnflyguy

Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:09 am

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 37):

OK From my source said your right DL is not giving up A10. or A5 and A7.
Plans WAS for DL to move everything to the C gates.
F9 was going to move to A5, Porter to A1,FL A2 Volaris A3. WN Taking over the rest of A gates.
Delta backed out on the deal I'm told because under terminal C it did not have enough space for DL personal and storage.
WN I'm told is planning on moving ALL FL flights to gateS C1AND C3 also a few out of A2 after International arrival turns out domestic.
As for A12,A14 and A16 they will become WN gates later this year from my understanding.
wnfg 
p.s. there is a rumor F9 may be moving ops to ORD.
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

airliner371

Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:29 am

Quote:

I could see that happening. They do alot of apple flying from there and it would make moving planes around alot easier.

jcwr56

Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:49 am

Quoting wnflyguy (Reply 38):

That's correct  

They're ferrying planes from ORD/MDW/ORD on the off days there's no ops at ORD. Granted this is the "off" period for them until fall/travel seaon kicks in.

[Edited 2012-09-03 18:51:36]

bjorn14

Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:01 am

Quoting wjcandee (Reply 31):
People's respect ratings stay low when they just indiscriminately say stuff that is demonstrably untrue.

Yeah, I was going to make a joke that WN could expand to GYY but considering what strfyr51 posted it lost it's punch.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

Flytravel

Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:55 pm

Quoting ORD+Boy+2" class="quote" target="_blank">ORD Boy 2 (Reply 18):

UA and AA have large ops at ORD where they compete. So neither wants to dilute it by going to MDW. US gets Star Alliance feed from ORD. For DL, there is less in way of great presence or feed at ORD so it works to be at MDW too. If by some scenario, DL bought AA, I assume they would leave MDW.

fghtngsiouxatc

Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:59 pm

Come to think of it, I have seen a FL 737 parked at C3 a couple times these past few nights. Wonder if it's just for RON parking or if it's a permanent move. That plus F9 at C2 and Public Charters at C1, it's good to see the C Concourse getting used again. Either way, MDW is near capacity at certain parts of the day, but certainly not all the time.

Mexicana757

Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:19 am

Quoting jcwr56 (Reply 30):
For Intl flights, Customs sees ORD and MDW as one. So while ORD is the preferred Port of Entry, Customs is pulling staff from ORD to handle the increase flight activity at MDW. What that has done is causing processing wait times to sky rocket.

We can also say the more airlines that want to operate international flights into ORD the more strain and longer wait times you will see. How many international arrivals can you push into T5 especially during the afternoon rush period? CDA is not going to make airlines and passengers happy by cramming everyone into one facility.

I'm sure customs has a number of personnel that are based at MDW. MDW has had their FIS for ten years. Customs has experience operating at both airports. By CDA promoting MDW as an alternative international gateway to Chicago instead of ORD it eases some of the pressure and congestion at T5.

Quoting jcwr56 (Reply 26):
The WN, F9 route awarding didn't help

WN was bound to add international flights at MDW even if they didn't get the Chicago-CUN authority. And it looks like the decision by DOT to award the authority to FL was a good move, they are going 2x daily in Jaunary.

Quoting fghtngsiouxatc (Reply 25):
The rumor everyone keeps hearing is that the city will be tearing down the old Odyssey Aviation building and the NG building when they vacate their hangar next year. The supposed plan is to build a new international terminal. Again, just a rumor.

Would spending the money on such facility be worth it? It would be an exact same copy of what is going on at ORD. If this rumor is true, CDA should look into expanding concourse C north by adding one or two gates and have the FIS facility move there if its possible.

rwessel

Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:55 pm

Quoting wjcandee (Reply 31):
From Google maps: from Downtown Chicago (5454 East Wacker Drive) to Gary/Chicago International Airport: THIRTY-TWO MILES, 44 Minutes.

From 5454 East Wacker Drive to MDW: TWELVE.5 MILES, 16 Minutes.

5454 East Wacker?! That would be six miles out into Lake Michigan.  Wow!

But assuming *54* E Wacker, which is somewhat close to the middle of downtown, the distances are approximately correct.

jcwr56

Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:24 pm

Quoting Mexicana757 (Reply 44):
How many international arrivals can you push into T5 especially during the afternoon rush period? CDA is not going to make airlines and passengers happy by cramming everyone into one facility.

I'm sure customs has a number of personnel that are based at MDW. MDW has had their FIS for ten years. Customs has experience operating at both airports. By CDA promoting MDW as an alternative international gateway to Chicago instead of ORD it eases some of the pressure and congestion at T5.

Correct, each airport has a specific amount of officers assigned to each and it appears, when flights are being adding at MDW, CBP are pulling those from ORD down to MDW to cover. (it never happens to the opposite) It's been made known, there's no additional budgeting made to hire new staff. Staffing issues go back all the way to T4 and the airlines no longer believe what they're told.

Adding additional flights in the afternoon would depend on the arrival time but for next summer I have 4 additional new flights a day being added and the timings are very good to the building.

In the end, this shouldn't be about ORD over MDW or what's better. I get the larger picture that new services into Chicago is what the city wants and in the end, the airline will decide that.

Cubsrule

Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:29 pm

Quoting jcwr56 (Reply 46):
Adding additional flights in the afternoon would depend on the arrival time but for next summer I have 4 additional new flights a day being added and the timings are very good to the building.

New flights haven't ever seemed to be much of a problem. Heck, when UA and AA added YXU and YKF in the not-so-distant past, both chose to have a flight arrive around 1700. That's not exactly a slow time at Terminal 5.