tayser
Topic Author

QF & EK Announcement - 10am Aest 6/9/12

Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:03 pm

I know there's another thread, but today is the actual announcement - so no more need for speculation.

http://www.theage.com.au/business/qa...-seal-alliance-20120906-25fhm.html

Quote:
Qantas is finally set to ink an alliance agreement today with Middle Eastern rival Emirates aimed at stemming the Australian airline's losses on the highly competitive route between Australia and Europe.

After months of negotiations and endless speculation, Qantas will today unveil the terms of an alliance with Emirates on routes to Europe via Dubai. Qantas's chief executive, Alan Joyce, will front a media conference at a Sydney hotel at 10am, AEST, this morning.

[Edited 2012-09-05 16:03:55]

EK413

RE: QF & EK Announcement - 10am Aest 6/9/12

Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:16 pm

Quoting tayser (Thread starter):

Lol I just posted this information in the other thread...

Cheers thanks for starting a new thread...

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

Sydscott

Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:33 pm

I'm watching the ASX for an announcement. As soon as it appears I'll post it.  

NZ107

Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:55 pm

It's half up - titled "The world's leading airline partnership"... Hmm. The wait begins to be able to view it!
It's all about the destination AND the journey.

EK413

Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:55 pm

Quoting Sydscott (Reply 2):

Any idea which channel will be broadcasting the announcement live...???

EK413

Sydscott

Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:57 pm

Here we go everyone;

Text from the press release as follows;

SYDNEY, 6 September 2012: Qantas and Emirates today announced a new global aviation partnership that
will give their customers a seamless Australian and international network, exclusive frequent flyer benefits and
world-class travel experiences.1
Under the agreement signed this morning by Emirates President Tim Clark and Qantas Group CEO Alan
Joyce, Qantas will move its hub for European flights to Dubai and enter an extensive commercial relationship
with Emirates.
The 10-year partnership will go beyond codesharing and includes integrated network collaboration with
coordinated pricing, sales and scheduling as well as a benefit-sharing model. Neither airline will take equity in
the other.
Qantas will launch daily A380 services from both Sydney and Melbourne to London via Dubai, meaning that
together Emirates and Qantas will offer 98 weekly services between Australia and Dubai. Qantas will be the
only other airline operating to Terminal 3 and the new purpose-built A380 concourse at Dubai International
Airport.

aussieindc

Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:57 pm

Any ideas of online video or audio of the announcement?

Sydscott

Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:59 pm

Further from the release re FRA;

http://imagesignal.comsec.com.au/doc...9lcnJvcnBhZ2VzL3BkZmRlbGF5ZWQuanNw

Broader Qantas network changes
Qantas will restructure its Asian network to strengthen its focus on services to and within the region.
“We currently have an Asian flying schedule based on travelling via Asia to Europe,” Mr Joyce said. “But our
Australian business customers want better access to Asia, and we have been looking to address this for some
time.”
“With European services transiting through Dubai, Qantas’ Asian services will no longer be a subsidiary of the
‘Kangaroo Route’. Instead they will be dedicated to connecting Australians with our region, and Asian visitors
to Australia.
“We will increase dedicated capacity to Singapore and re-time flights to Singapore and Hong Kong to enable
more ‘same day’ connections across Asia. We believe this will significantly improve the economics of our
Asian operations.”
Qantas will also withdraw from the Singapore-Frankfurt route. While this service has been underperforming
for some time, and withdrawal was inevitable, the partnership with Emirates will enable it to take place with
minimal impact on Qantas customers.

NZ107

Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:59 pm

And QF and IAG to terminate JV as another announcement.

777way

Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:04 am

So we have from South asian countries have another choice on DXB-LHR route besides EK, BA and VS?

Sydscott

Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:06 am

Quoting 777way (Reply 9):
So we have from South asian countries have another choice on DXB-LHR route besides EK, BA and VS?

It will be a joint business operation with EK. So you could buy an EK ticket and end up an a QF A380 or vice versa.

LAXintl

Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:09 am

Suppose a big finger to oneworld and BA.

However I commend Qantas for being willing to shake things up.

Also kudos for EK landing this significant venture under the nose OW and BA.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

AF Cabin Crew

Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:10 am

Quoting Sydscott (Reply 7):
Broader Qantas network changes
Qantas will restructure its Asian network to strengthen its focus on services to and within the region.
“We currently have an Asian flying schedule based on travelling via Asia to Europe,” Mr Joyce said. “But our
Australian business customers want better access to Asia, and we have been looking to address this for some
time.”
“With European services transiting through Dubai, Qantas’ Asian services will no longer be a subsidiary of the
‘Kangaroo Route’. Instead they will be dedicated to connecting Australians with our region, and Asian visitors
to Australia.
“We will increase dedicated capacity to Singapore and re-time flights to Singapore and Hong Kong to enable
more ‘same day’ connections across Asia. We believe this will significantly improve the economics of our
Asian operations.”
Qantas will also withdraw from the Singapore-Frankfurt route. While this service has been underperforming
for some time, and withdrawal was inevitable, the partnership with Emirates will enable it to take place with
minimal impact on Qantas customers.
Quoting NZ107 (Reply 8):
And QF and IAG to terminate JV as another announcement.

Maybe we'll see the end of the codesharing agreement with Air France as well particularly if QF changes the scheds between OZ and Asia.
Any info on that ?

Happy Flying,

AF Cabin Crew
Ia Maitai to tatou tere !

EK413

Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:16 am

http://www.smh.com.au/business/qanta...-seal-alliance-20120906-25fhm.html

So it's official with SIN no longer the flying Kangaroos Asian hub... Interesting move but certainly a smart move by the carrier with EKs network the options are immense...

Congratulations QF & EK...

EK413

pesit4a

Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:16 am

Its quite simple - If you cant beat 'em - Join 'em.

Well done Qantas. A massive step forward.
You just can't keep a good man down!

tayser
Topic Author

Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:18 am

Airvan00

Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:18 am

The announcement is live now on ABC 24

aussie747

Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:25 am

Quoting AF Cabin Crew (Reply 12):
Maybe we'll see the end of the codesharing agreement with Air France as well particularly if QF changes the scheds between OZ and Asia.
Any info on that ?

Yes all the QF codeshares into CDG and FCO will cease from 31MAR13

One question I pose is how will this benefit QF customers from BNE,ADL and PER. QF will still not fly to DXB from these cities only SIN and HKG(exc ADL), But there will be no QF flight or codeshare to London or Europe from here.

Once again yet another snubbing qantas who live in these cities. It just proves Qantas is so Sydney/Mebourne centric. An A332 can fly from PER to DXB and return no problem and the A332 is probably the same range from ADL-DXB as when QF used to operated the AKL-LAX services. Surely there is demand for the 744ER to operate BNE-DXB as well.

Once again these people from BNE,ADL and PER will be worse off. Not that QF currently gives them many good options to Europe compared to other carriers.

[Edited 2012-09-05 17:26:31]

tayser
Topic Author

Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:27 am

Start date looks to be April next year -

14x daily QF codeshared or operated services to DXB from MEL/SYD/BNE/ADL/PER.

33 European connections, 7 of which on 380s

Strategy complete for QF gateways: DXB for Europe, M.E. and North Africa, DFW for North America, SCL for South America, JNB for Southern Africa and SIN & HKG for Asia.

On Asian network: 25% more connections in SIN with retiming. 40% more seats available into Asia.

QF codes on EK flights to Asia, i.e MEL-KUL-MEL, MEL-SIN-MEL, SYD-BKK-SYD, SYD-SIN-SYD, BNE-SIN-BNE
_________

looks like SIN and HKG are going to be 330 land once JQ start getting their 787s - you'd hope the EK408/409 (DXB-KUL-MEL-KUL-DXB) get re-timed, I doubt many QF frequent flyers will want to depart MEL at 4am and fly in at 2am!

Sydscott

Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:28 am

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 11):
However I commend Qantas for being willing to shake things up.

Also kudos for EK landing this significant venture under the nose OW and BA.

To be honest, I doubt this will have much of an effect on British Airways. If anything it allows them to re-focus their operations on Asian O&D. What they do with their SIN-SYD service will be interesting however. I'd say they can retain it profitably but they won't have QF feeding into it at either SYD or SIN anymore. It also presses home the need for IAG to jump on-board with EK as well or form the muted alliance with QR.

Any info on that ?

No news on that but I think it's fair to say that the codeshare deal with AF fro CDG and CX to FCO are dead in the water. That traffic will now be on EK metal from April 1st, 2013. Whether or not AF and QF retain the interline agreement so QF provides on-carriage to AF passengers from Asia to Australia is a different question. We don't know the answer to that.

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 11):
Suppose a big finger to oneworld and BA.

Not really. QF has always picked and chosen what it does with OW carriers. AA in North America, LAN in South America and heir relationship with JAL are all important still for QF's future as is the relationship with BA because alot of Australians still begin or end a journey to Europe in London and will require short hops on BA metal to and from Europe where EK doesn't fly. So they will still work together just not as closely.

If anything this gives Etihad and Virgin a bloody nose because the combined VA/SQ and Etihad network between Australia and Europe is vastly inferior to EK's. When VA said "Game On" don't think this is what they had in mind!

It also presents an interesting opportunity for American Airlines if i was to ditch Etihad and jump to EK. That would vastly expand their International presence as well.

tayser
Topic Author

Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:29 am

the 40% more seats into Asia is interesting. With the loss of 2x A380s into SIN every day, that's the equivalent of 6-8x daily 330 sized aircraft flying into Asia? or am I reading that wrong?!

ManekS

Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:31 am

QANTAS - AIRFRANCE code share on SIN/HKG to CDG to end.
QANTAS - FINNAIR code share on SIN to HEL to remain.

Sydscott

Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:33 am

Quoting aussie747 (Reply 17):
One question I pose is how will this benefit QF customers from BNE,ADL and PER. QF will still not fly to DXB from these cities only SIN and HKG(exc ADL), But there will be no QF flight or codeshare to London or Europe from here.

I think you'll find QF will code on virtually all of EK's services from all Australian cities they fly to. That will cover BNE, ADL and PER.

Quoting tayser (Reply 18):
looks like SIN and HKG are going to be 330 land once JQ start getting their 787s - you'd hope the EK408/409 (DXB-KUL-MEL-KUL-DXB) get re-timed, I doubt many QF frequent flyers will want to depart MEL at 4am and
fly in at 2am!

Agreed. I think there will be a comprehensive re-structure of all of EK's and QF's Asian and Trans Tasman services but we'll have to wait to find out what that will be. If anything I can see QF being a bit more aggressive in starting new Asian services now that they can focus on O&D rather than having to drive pax to connecting flights.

vhebb

Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:35 am

Anyone know what the QF increased frequencies to Asia will look like?

tayser
Topic Author

Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:41 am

actually re: last comment, the extra capacity will no doubt come from the codeshares on EK planes.

I dare say they'll still keep dailies to SIN and HKG from all the big 4 + maybe increase ADL-SIN to daily.

Zkpilot

Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:46 am

Quoting tayser (Reply 20):
the 40% more seats into Asia is interesting. With the loss of 2x A380s into SIN every day, that's the equivalent of 6-8x daily 330 sized aircraft flying into Asia? or am I reading that wrong?!

Most of the pax on the 2xA380 flights are going on to LHR. By switching to A330s that terminate in SIN it opens up a lot more seats to Asia rather than through Asia.
56 types. 38 countries. 24 airlines.

commavia

Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:48 am

Quoting Sydscott (Reply 19):
If anything it allows them to re-focus their operations on Asian O&D.

Yep, just as QANTAS is apparently planning to do from the other direction.

What they do with their SIN-SYD service will be interesting however. I'd say they can retain it profitably but they won't have QF feeding into it at either SYD or SIN anymore.

I agree that BA probably will still be able to make a single daily LHR-SIN-SYD flight work, perhaps with a 777, and particularly considering the drop in capacity on both sectors that will now come from QANTAS removing their A380s from those services.

In addition, I'm not sure why you think BA will no longer have QANTAS feeding them at SYD or SIN - I would be very surprised to see BA and QANTAS drop their codeshare altogether. They just will no longer have a JV. But given how sparse a presence BA has in Australia sans QANTAS, I think it's highly likely that the two will continue to codeshare extensively.

It also presses home the need for IAG to jump on-board with EK as well or form the muted alliance with QR.

True.

I think that while everyone is rightly focusing on the watershed moment this is for QANTAS, some may be overlooking just as monumental a change this really is for Emirates, too. Emirates, to this point, has preferred to stay almost entirely out of the alliance game, but with this move they are now diving head first into a tightly-integrated strategic JV partnership. As such, I wonder whether, at some point in the future, Emirates and QANTAS may want to, or be able to, pull IAG into their new JV. My, what a combination that would be.

planesarecool

Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:52 am

What does Emirates have to gain from this? They already have a massive stake in the EU-OZ market, why the need to jump into bed with a loss-making competitor?

Zkpilot

Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:53 am

Once they have bedded down the relationship, it will be interesting to see if QF and EK launch Jetstar Dubai... I'm sure EK could do it alone but there is some brand value in the Jetstar brand and experience. I'd imagine EK would own 66.6% and QF 33.3%.
It would help EK with its short haul side of the business (an area which they haven't really focused) and also on the budget end of the market (which is of course mostly short haul).
56 types. 38 countries. 24 airlines.

kiwiandrew

Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:00 am

Quoting planesarecool (Reply 27):
What does Emirates have to gain from this? They already have a massive stake in the EU-OZ market, why the need to jump into bed with a loss-making competitor?

I have to admit that I am still puzzled by this. However, they are a pretty shrewd operator and they must feel that they gain something from this or they would not have agreed to it.

NZ107

Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:06 am

And they gave the finger to CX and their codeshare to FCO.

Quoting ManekS (Reply 21):
QANTAS - FINNAIR code share on SIN to HEL to remain.

Not surprising as EK doesn't fly to HEL yet.

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 28):
it will be interesting to see if QF and EK launch Jetstar Dubai... I'm sure EK could do it alone but there is some brand value in the Jetstar brand and experience.

Or EK could just take control of Flydubai if they really wanted..

blink182

Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:10 am

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 28):
Once they have bedded down the relationship, it will be interesting to see if QF and EK launch Jetstar Dubai... I'm sure EK could do it alone but there is some brand value in the Jetstar brand and experience. I'd imagine EK would own 66.6% and QF 33.3%.

But how would this be any different from FlyDubai, which is already EK's defacto shorthaul/low fare airline with routes like BEG and TBS? I don't know what EK's equity is, if there is any, but I don't believe the two airlines compete all that much and serve different markets.

Quoting commavia (Reply 26):
As such, I wonder whether, at some point in the future, Emirates and QANTAS may want to, or be able to, pull IAG into their new JV. My, what a combination that would be.

Interesting hypothetical, but I think that may be a case of too many cooks in the kitchen. QF's Europe network is nothing outside of LHR and FRA(now announced to be dropped), but BA has a large network to Asia, India, and the Middle East. I always imagined a QF-QR-IAG tie up, but I don't know if BA and EK could play nicely together. That would be a LOT of capacity between LHR and DXB.

All of that said, while the BA/QF JBA may disappear, I don't think this spells the end of BA/QF codesharing or cooperation. If there were an end, methinks QF would drop LHR altogether, and that's not happening. BA may very well codeshare on QF's SYD/MEL-DXB-LHR flights and may continue to feed and receive feed from QF connections in SIN to BNE, ADL, PER, SYD, MEL etc.
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

SCL767

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 30):

And they gave the finger to CX and their codeshare to FCO.

Is this surprising considering that QF will launch Jetstar Hong Kong?

tayser
Topic Author

ikramerica

Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:11 am

Removing a competitor means higher prices. It's basically a price fixing scheme. OZ pax will get screwed. It's not as if any more options are actually opened to them, only funneled through a different portal, connecting to a different airline...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

NZ107

Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:12 am

Quoting SCL767 (Reply 32):

No it's not; however JQ HK still hasn't gone anywhere past the announcement stage. Who knows how long it'll be before they can start, if at all.

9MMPD

Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:14 am

Whilst I am for anything to help an ailing aussie icon it will be sad not to see QF's beautiful A380s in Changi and I have always preffered transiting through there on may way to London.

Question though for those passangers who live in PER, BNE and ADL what if we want to fly to LHR with QF/EK but in Premium economy? EK doesn't have a Y+ cabin and I don't want to pay for Y+ and only have it for half the journey onb QF ex DXB. I liked that I could actually purchase a Y seat for thye short 5 hour flight from PER-SIN and then pay for a Y+ seat for the big 13 hour leg from SIN - LHR.

Will EK look into Y+?

allrite

Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:16 am

Joyce talked about Singapore and Hong Kong acting as their Asian hubs. Who will provide the onward flights to other Asian destinations? Jetstar? Will it mean any dropping of direct flights (Tokyo, Indonesia, Bangkok, Manila, Shanghai) - although these are pretty much only served from Sydney with QF mainline right now IIRC?
I like artificial banana essence!

tayser
Topic Author

Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:17 am

Website up for the partnership: http://www.qantasandemirates.com/

I wonder if there'll be a rationalisation of lounges in AU, maybe expansion of first class QF lounges in MEL and SYD?

thegeek

Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:19 am

Access to the QF Frequent Flyer program is the only significant thing I can see. Currently, QF FF's have an incentive to avoid EK.

There's also feed to regional destinations in Oz, but I doubt that is too significant.

SonomaFlyer

Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:25 am

For one, the additional QF capacity to Australia. There are only so many slots available for EK to fly between DXB and Australia. It also gives them additional feeds to their network from QF (this includes additional cities within the QF network).

The re-alignment makes good business sense for QF. If they can get their Asian services reorganized well, they should make good money.

NZ107

Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:25 am

I wonder how long it'll take before EK starts pushing for codeshares to LAX. They've always wanted to fly their own planes from Aus/NZ to USA. This is their opportunity to get a foot in the door..

Quoting allrite (Reply 37):

I suppose their new soon-to-be-OW-buddy MH can operate all that for them... I feel as though MH has been completely duped by this new arrangement. I can't see them dropping many of their flights into Asia. The partnership website states that Tokyo will continue to be served by a 744.

[Edited 2012-09-05 18:29:45]

[Edited 2012-09-05 18:30:18]

SCL767

Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:27 am

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 35):
Quoting SCL767 (Reply 32):

No it's not; however JQ HK still hasn't gone anywhere past the announcement stage. Who knows how long it'll be before they can start, if at all.

QF stated in its PR that it will use HKG as a "gateway"; which I interpret as a future hub for Jetstar Hong Kong. Meanwhile, CX/KA have been increasing frequencies and launching new regional routes from HKG this year...

wstakl

Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:36 am

Sorry for being lazy as I am sure this has already been mentioned, but when do these changes "go live" so to speak?

Quokkas

Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:36 am

Quoting commavia (Reply 26):
to this point, has preferred to stay almost entirely out of the alliance game,

EK has not wanted to formally join an alliance like One World, Skyteam or Star, but it has entered into a number of alliances with airlines in the past. These have included reciprocal and non-reciprocal codeshares (for example KM and AT) and access to frequent flyer programs, for example SA. They used to have an agreement with DJ where you could seamlessly book on one airline to continue on the other and earn either Velocity or Skywards points. You could book reward flights using points/ miles from either airline.
“Not to laugh, not to cry, not to hate, but understand.” Spinoza

Quokkas

Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:42 am

Quoting WSTAKL (Reply 43):
Sorry for being lazy as I am sure this has already been mentioned, but when do these changes "go live" so to speak?

Subject to regulatory approval in April 2013.
“Not to laugh, not to cry, not to hate, but understand.” Spinoza

Lufthansa

Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:52 am

i wonder if there are any implications for El Al in the Qantas frequent flyer program

koruman

Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:53 am

No more Premium Economy to UK/Europe from Brisbane, Perth or Adelaide.

That is a big, big call, especially when Virgin Atlantic, Air New Zealand and British Airways each identify Premium Economy as the most profitable long-haul cabin on key routes.

You would think that a tie-up with Emirates would enhance network options across Europe and Australia, but in fact this entrenches the SYD/MEL-centricity even further.

It also really makes it difficult for Qantas to continue to position itself as a premium airline which can command a fare premium. Virgin Australia is already in bed with Emirates' classier sister Etihad and neither has had much luck trying to seduce the real catch, Qatar Airways.

Flightsimboy

Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:58 am

Quoting tayser (Reply 33):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei4_0EK4xrg&feature=player_embedded

Was that 14 flights daily from Australia to Dubai from 2013 between Emirates and Qantas? Is that any different from what Emirates already flies between Australia and Dubai. Sorry I haven't taken the time to count the daily frequencies each week.

koruman

Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:01 am

Quoting Lufthansa (Reply 46):
i wonder if there are any implications for El Al in the Qantas frequent flyer program

Not just that.

In the liberal professions and the world of finance in Sydney, Melbourne, London and Paris there are very significant numbers of Jewish professionals.

I cannot imagine that they would choose Qantas via Dubai or Virgin Australia via Abu Dhabi, regardless of whatever reassurances they may be offered.

I would imagine that this joint venture will at a stroke redirect many of them into the arms of Singapore Airlines, as well as possibly ensuring that one daily British Airways flight to Sydney has a chance of survival.