cheeken
Topic Author

Singapore Airlines To Introduce Wi-Fi Onboard

Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:30 am

Singapore Airlines has finally restarted Wi-Fi services on board! Available on A345s and rolling out on A380s and 77Ws.

With a new product coming next year, perhaps SQ can begin winning back some of the market share lost to fierce competition from LCCs.

I do wonder if the buggy website has been fixed as well, haven't heard much complaints about it lately.

In any case, it seems that SQ is getting back in the game!

http://www.singaporeair.com/jsp/cms/..._with_us/inflight-connectivity.jsp

huaiwei

RE: Singapore Airlines To Introduce Wi-Fi Onboard

Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:57 pm

If skyhigh prices to boot? Probably lukewarm reception at best unless one is in desperate need for an internet connection?
It's huaiwei...not huawei. I have nothing to do with the PRC! :)

UAL777UK

Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:04 pm

Quoting huaiwei (Reply 1):
If skyhigh prices to boot? Probably lukewarm reception at best unless one is in desperate need for an internet connection?

Agreed, I will wait until I land thank you very much. Hats off for getting it but i guess we need ot see lots of the competition getting it as well which in time will hopefully drive down the usage fee.

airbazar

Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:06 pm

Quoting huaiwei (Reply 1):

If I'm traveling for work my company pays for it. I have a trip planned to India (from the US), and I will waste 2 full days of work getting there and back. If I had Internet access which allowed me to vpn into my network, it would be worth every penny.

airbuseric

Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:11 pm

I remember having WiFi onboard my A380 flight (9V-SKB) in last April already. There was a plastified leaflet about it in every seatpocket. Didn't use it myself though.
"The whole world steps aside for the man who knows where he is going"

avek00

Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:41 pm

Good to see Singapore Airlines finally catching up to the tech standards of USA legacy carriers.
Live life to the fullest.

airbazar

Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:09 pm

Quoting avek00 (Reply 5):

Good to see Singapore Airlines finally catching up to the tech standards of USA legacy carriers.

Sorry, which US carrier offers wifi on International routes?

Stitch

Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:16 pm

I used Connexion a fair bit on SQ, LH and others because the flat-fee option seemed reasonable to me (and my employer) for a long flight.

Fortunately my company will spring for this (at least to start), but if I had to pay out of pocket, I personally believe it is too expensive.

Aeroflot777

Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:19 pm

Very confusing post. Since when do legacy carriers in the US provide Wi-Fi on their long-haul, international sectors?

SInGAPORE_AIR

Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:53 am

Pardon my ignorance, which USA legacy airlines offer wi-fi on their long-haul international routes ?
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

AF185

Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:01 am

Being on a long haul flight remains one of the few occasions in our busy society to be out of Internet /social media /tv /blackberry ..for a few hours. It feels so relaxing

I just hope it remains that way

ghifty

Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:45 am

I don't fly with SQ.. but are they adding Wi-Fi for international sectors AND domestic sectors, or just domestic sectors?

Quoting airbazar (Reply 6):
Sorry, which US carrier offers wifi on International routes?

None. Delta will.
Fly Delta (Wid)Jets

United1

Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:16 pm

Quoting SInGAPORE_AIR (Reply 9):

Pardon my ignorance, which USA legacy airlines offer wi-fi on their long-haul international routes ?

UA and DL are going to be offering Wifi on long haul flights. Both are scheduled to start retrofitting their long haul fleet with it next year.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

docpepz

Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:46 pm

Hmm. Does SQ have domestic sectors?

TreeHillRavens

Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:46 pm

Quoting ghifty (Reply 11):

I don't fly with SQ.. but are they adding Wi-Fi for international sectors AND domestic sectors, or just domestic sectors?

Domestic sectors ???

United1

Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:50 pm

Quoting Docpepz (Reply 13):

Hmm. Does SQ have domestic sectors?

In a word no..... 
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

legacyins

Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:21 pm

adding Wi-Fi for international sectors AND domestic sectors, or just domestic sectors?

Suggest you use Regional instead of domestic.

aquariusHKG

Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:05 pm

Quoting airbazar (Reply 3):
If I'm traveling for work my company pays for it. I have a trip planned to India (from the US), and I will waste 2 full days of work getting there and back. If I had Internet access which allowed me to vpn into my network, it would be worth every penny.

I have doubts that the internet quality may not be enough for a decent VPN connections

airbazar

Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:37 pm

Quoting AF185 (Reply 10):
Being on a long haul flight remains one of the few occasions in our busy society to be out of Internet /social media /tv /blackberry ..for a few hours. It feels so relaxing

Speak for yourself. Although I work in the technology industry I don't even own a smart phone. It's actually very easy to disconnect. You just have to want to do it.

Quoting aquariusHKG (Reply 17):

I have doubts that the internet quality may not be enough for a decent VPN connections

I've heard of people Skyping so it should be good enough for VPN.

DesertFlyer

Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:42 pm

I've used the wifi on TK IST-LAX and it was really nice to have. It was free though, and painfully slow, but at least I could check emails and get some work done. It'll be nice when this becomes a more standard feature of longhaul flying.

XJetflyer

Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:00 pm

Airlines should have WI-FI available these days. This should be the norm on flights. I enjoy getting work done and just reading articles online while flying. Of course I enjoy the take off and landing and take breaks to enoy the flight also.

Birdwatching

Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:36 pm

I'd love it if airlines used their wifi system so you can stream the IFE, not from the internet but from onboard storage. They wouldn't even need a connection to the ground, just sort of an intranet.

Soren   
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

United1

Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:10 pm

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 21):
I'd love it if airlines used their wifi system so you can stream the IFE, not from the internet but from onboard storage. They wouldn't even need a connection to the ground, just sort of an intranet.

Not sure about SQ but UA is launching just that...you will not only be able to access the internet but also stream video from onboard servers into your personal device (iPad, tablet ect.) Its great for aircraft that do not currently have PTVs installed...

rwy04lga

Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:09 pm

Quoting legacyins (Reply 16):
adding Wi-Fi for international sectors AND domestic sectors, or just domestic sectors?

Suggest you use Regional instead of domestic.

In SQs case, regional is still international. While Delta does not now have wi-fi on international flights, they will soon. However, Delta does have a huge domestic system that has wi-fi and has had it for a while. How does SQs wi-fi capable domestic system compare?  
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

zeke

Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:42 am

Those carriers are using a ground based system, where the aircraft needs to be over a landmass for it to work, and I assume it is only over the US.

Each country worldwide has different WiFi frequencies in their approved frequency bands. When you buy a WiFi router, you may notice in the setup it asks you to set the location, this is to set the correct frequency spectrum. We have WiFi installing on our aircraft, however it is not turned on as a number of countries where we operate have conflicting frequency spectrum. One cannot operate an aircraft with illegal radio transmissions, which is what Wifi is on the incorrect frequency.

I will like to see how SQ covers this, maybe they will not have an issue on their route structure, with the selected aircraft.
We are addicted to our thoughts. We cannot change anything if we cannot change our thinking – Santosh Kalwar

airbazar

Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:16 pm

Quoting United1 (Reply 22):
Not sure about SQ but UA is launching just that...you will not only be able to access the internet but also stream video from onboard servers into your personal device (iPad, tablet ect.) Its great for aircraft that do not currently have PTVs installed...

I suspect that is the way of the future. Just about every one these days has some sort of wireless video device. Think about all the weight savings that can be translated into fuel savings, and leg room savings from not having those AVOD boxes under every other seat. They could still have the individual screens on every seatback where each passenger can plug in their own device.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos