iFlyLOTs
Topic Author

Russian Jet Production Question

Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:27 am

Today I was looking at the production numbers of Russian built airlines on wikipedia (which I realize isn't the best resource) and it seems to me that they can't produce the same numbers of planes in the same amount of time such as Boeing, Airbus, Embraer, and Bombardier.

Why can't they keep up? Is it a lack of demand? Is it that they don't have as strong supply chains? Or is it something else I'm missing?
"...stay hungry, stay foolish" -Steve Jobs

sovietjet

RE: Russian Jet Production Question

Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:40 am

Are you talking about Russian jets before 1990 or after? Because if it is after, then simply put there was no money for jets. If it is before, they only made as many jets as Aeroflot needed and whatever orders they got from the the Warsaw Pact nations. Whereas Boeing and Airbus function as purely commercial companies selling as much as possible to as many as possible.

iFlyLOTs
Topic Author

Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:43 am

I was asking about after, I get that it was what Aeroflot and the Warsaw Pact nations before that were placing the orders. But especially recently, isn't there tons of money in Russia? Is producing commercial airliners not getting the money?
"...stay hungry, stay foolish" -Steve Jobs

Fabo

Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:20 pm

There have been very little (apart from the SSJ) in the way of competitive local airliner designs. So with the money being there, you still have to run to A/B to get any jet from SSJ size up... As for SSJ, I have no idea whether slow production rate is the result of slow demand, or what.

It will be interesting to see how MS-21 will hold.
The light at the end of tunnel turn out to be a lighted sing saying NO EXIT