avi8
Topic Author

How Is LGA Doing For DL

Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:26 pm

Good morning! So I was wondering if anyone could give me any insight in how LGA is doing for DL. I know that launching 200 + flights in a couple of swings takes time to make it profitable. But I was also wondering if there have been any schedule "tweaks" since the initial launch in June/July. I know it is mostly an O/D hub, but how many people actually connect in LGA?

Y'all have a good day 

Avi8.
avi8

panamair

RE: How Is LGA Doing For DL

Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:39 pm

Quoting avi8 (Thread starter):
I know that launching 200 + flights in a couple of swings takes time to make it profitable.

I believe it's already profitable. LGA has had a 3 point profit margin improvement in Q3 (the full ramp up was done in July) despite the 40% capacity increase.

Quoting avi8 (Thread starter):
if there have been any schedule "tweaks" since the initial launch in June/July

- Mainline 'injection' into some routes that were previously all-RJs (LGA-RDU / CLT / PWM / BUF / MCI for example)
- Dropping of LGA-PHL
- Will bump LGA-MIA from 4x to 5x daily in December
- Will start 2x daily LGA-SRQ in December

PSU.DTW.SCE

Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:43 pm

LGA is meeting or exceeding DL's initial expectation. As said, it is always a challenging when adding so much capacity in a short period of time.

Round 1 that launched in the spring went very well, and round 2 that launched in July is going well by all accounts too.

DL has made some public remarks about the LGA expansion:
http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/da...01968712003196/delta_8k-ex9901.htm
Go to slide 11 for DL's summary of LGA growth.
- Now serve 47 of the top 50 business markets
- Margin continues to improve, up 3 points in July on a 40% increase in capacity
- DL continues to gain more corporate contacts in the NYC market

As for schedule tweaks, there have been some:
- Cutting LGA-PHL this fall
- Cut LGA-OMA
- Increasing flights and capacity on LGA-Florida flights for this winter
- Upgauging LGA-NAS to a 757 for the peak winter/spring break season
- Added some mainline flights on some flights that were initially flown with 2-class RJs (PWM, RDU, CLT, BUF, MCI)
- Reduced the BOS-LGA shuttle from A319 to E75

[Edited 2012-09-07 05:44:43]

Cubsrule

Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:09 pm

Quoting PSU.DTW.SCE (Reply 2):
As said, it is always a challenging when adding so much capacity in a short period of time.

Yes, and while it's too early to gather a whole lot of data, it sounds like on at least some routes, DL is having the same trouble filling the airplanes that US had. I watched a BNA-LGA flight depart the other day on which every passenger was upgraded. When you've only sold 9 seats, you can do things like that.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

maddogjt8d

Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:09 pm

I think it is interesting that DL is reducing shuttle capacity on BOS-LGA from A319 to E75, yet is increasing capacity on BOS-JFK and DCA-JFK from RJ's to the A319.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:24 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 3):
Yes, and while it's too early to gather a whole lot of data, it sounds like on at least some routes, DL is having the same trouble filling the airplanes that US had. I watched a BNA-LGA flight depart the other day on which every passenger was upgraded. When you've only sold 9 seats, you can do things like that.

I'd imagine that loads vary a lot depending on the day of the week and also on the time during the day. DL is going to be commited to LGA, with some tweaks.

Quoting MaddogJT8D (Reply 4):
I think it is interesting that DL is reducing shuttle capacity on BOS-LGA from A319 to E75, yet is increasing capacity on BOS-JFK and DCA-JFK from RJ's to the A319.

When you have 5x per day on BOS-JFK vs 16x per day on BOS-LGA, there is a big difference. Plus, the flights to JFK also serve international connections.

Cubsrule

Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:29 pm

Quoting PSU.DTW.SCE (Reply 5):
I'd imagine that loads vary a lot depending on the day of the week and also on the time during the day.

I think that's right, and it's similar to US' experience. Nonetheless, persistently low loads were a problem that dogged US for years, especially on shorter routes where DL is offering much more capacity. I hope DL can find a way to combat the problem, as their LGA operation is much larger and offers customers many more options than US ever did.

airliner371

Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:12 pm

Quote:
launching 200 + flights

It was 140 new flights, not 200+.

jfklganyc

Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:54 pm

"I think it is interesting that DL is reducing shuttle capacity on BOS-LGA from A319 to E75, yet is increasing capacity on BOS-JFK and DCA-JFK from RJ's to the A319."

I was looking at that the other day,

Between B6, AA, and DL, there are 13 mainline flights a day between JFK and BOS which is pretty impressive for a within the perimeter, non leisure market.

EWR has 14

LGA still has the shuttles...but half are now regional

PSU.DTW.SCE

Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:12 pm

JFK is a connecting hub for B6, DL and AA, predominately for markets not served nonstop from BOS and many of the international destinations.

LGA predominately is focused on O&D travel between the two markets.

jetlanta

Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:13 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 3):

Cubs, Delta has been flying LGA-BNA for a couple years now. The load factor performance for the YE May 1012 was 48% for DL vs. 64% for AA, which has been flying the market for decades. To be fairy evaluated, however, it is important to note that Delta's YE1Q12 average fare was $181 vs. $194 for AA. $181 is actually a very healthy fare for that stage length on E70 equipment at Delta Connections costs. AA gets a higher fare and load factor, but has been operating on AA/M80 costs. So I imagine there isn't a huge spread on the margins.

BTW, this data is all pre-LGA expansion. It will obviously improve as Delta improves its position in NYC. This service would be included in the group that saw the 4pt margin improvement since the swap.

slcdeltarumd11

Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:24 pm

Its too early to know. Until all the seasons go by its all guesses. Summer is the busiest time of the year. I know LGA-DEN has actually done really well this summer amazingly well but it is not so stellar this Fall. I expect it to do great this winter again. Some routes will vary alot just summer is not guide of which flights are the best or will work year round.

I keep seeing delta offering connections thru LGA and this summer alot. I bet its to start and help the flights they want to connect less and less over time and rely on o&d. At least i hope. LGA is probably the worst place to connect. Hotels are ridiculously expensive so if you get stuck there for two nights during a snowstorm its really gonna stink.

I bet you its alot easier to sell corporate contracts with all those destinations now. Delta has a pretty extensive list of the business destinations non-stop from either JFK or LGA

Cubsrule

Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:47 pm

Quoting jetlanta (Reply 10):
So I imagine there isn't a huge spread on the margins.

Does that fare data include the brief period when AA tried majority CR7 service? If so, AA probably came out ahead. If not, as you say, it's probably pretty close.

In any event, anywhere but LGA, 48 percent on a "mature" route is not a good load factor for a year. My point was simply that DL has experienced and is experiencing low loads, just like US and, in a lot of cases, AA. It doesn't mean they aren't making money. It does likely mean there's more money to be made.

jfklganyc

Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:18 pm

Well look at what DL is doing this winter...same thing B6 does at JFK and same thing B6 did with LGA slots...more Florida. Highest yielding? No. But if you have the cost structure...you will fill the plane everyday.

With that move in mind, DL likely has a few more slots than in needs at LGA.

The set up at LGA is complicated. There are only so many flights that are needed within the 1500 mile ring and I think DL has hit that wall

kubus

Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:20 pm

Comparing to US, Delta has much better product with front cabin on CR7s on PIT route and WiFi on all A/CD. I've made a switch to DL for my weekly commute to LGA because of that. Plus ground handling, gate experience is much better. At least they make it appear that they care for customers. As for performance, I see a lot of familiar faces switching to DL metal from US and it does seem loads are good. Average fare is about $250 for Y, slightly below US at $265, this is for the early am, afternoon turns, not middle of the day bargain.
What's really funny is that in the shared terminal C, US spent a little money replacing the 1970's monitors with LCDs. Finally!

rwy04lga

Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:50 pm

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 13):
There are only so many flights that are needed within the 1500 mile ring and I think DL has hit that wall

I looked at a map and saw little room for expansion.

Quoting kubus (Reply 14):
What's really funny is that in the shared terminal C, US spent a little money replacing the 1970's monitors with LCDs. Finally!

In the ticketing area or the ones just past the US security? Near gates 26 and 28? Those look like Delta standard monitors.
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

FL787

Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:12 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 12):
Does that fare data include the brief period when AA tried majority CR7 service?

I'm pretty sure LGA-BNA has been MQ only for about a year at least. It's the norm now. In 1Q12, AA had 5x CR7s and an ER3.

kubus

Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:51 am

Quoting Rwy04LGA (Reply 15):
In the ticketing area or the ones just past the US security? Near gates 26 and 28? Those look like Delta standard monitors.

Gates C36 - C41 which are US gates... right across from those are Delta's.

aviateur

Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:29 am

Remember that the majority of the expansion at LGA involved CONNECTION carriers, not actual Delta, so much of this discussion is misleading.
Patrick Smith is an airline pilot, air travel columnist and author

FlyASAGuy2005

Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:39 am

Quoting aviateur (Reply 18):
Remember that the majority of the expansion at LGA involved CONNECTION carriers, not actual Delta, so much of this discussion is misleading.

Oh Lord, here we go...
What gets measured gets done.

DeltaMD90

Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:00 am

Quoting aviateur (Reply 18):

Um so the connection carriers own the slots? Directly sell the seats? Fly with their own liveries? It's Delta
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

gothamspotter

Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:08 am

Delta opened their new LGA Terminal C Sky Club this week. Major upgrade over the previous US Airways Club.

Photos: http://www.nycaviation.com/photo-gal...to-galleries/image/20120905_122921

FlyASAGuy2005

Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:14 am

Quoting gothamspotter (Reply 21):

Photos: http://www.nycaviation.com/photo-gal...22921

Looks nice!!! I}ve only been in the club on D and that was before they started the build out some months back. They added a second on D and the larger of the 2 is currently being expanded.

gothamspotter

Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:21 am

Also interesting... US is building a new club in Terminal C, but it won't be done until next year. US pax can use the new Delta club until the US club opens.

idlewildchild

Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:56 am

I recently researched booking LGA-DTW-LGA for a business trip, 5 weeks in advance for a mid-week trip and the fare came back as $745 r/t on Delta. Needless to say I would have gone through Chicago or Cleveland on UA which had a fare around $345. My stomach sank from the experience as I got sick with the thought of how high DL will be charging fares as the proverbial 'only game in town' wherever they can.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:30 pm

Quoting idlewildchild (Reply 24):
I recently researched booking LGA-DTW-LGA for a business trip, 5 weeks in advance for a mid-week trip and the fare came back as $745 r/t on Delta. Needless to say I would have gone through Chicago or Cleveland on UA which had a fare around $345. My stomach sank from the experience as I got sick with the thought of how high DL will be charging fares as the proverbial 'only game in town' wherever they can.

It's been that way for years on LGA-DTW if you are doing a trip of less than 3 days. The fare drops significantly if you spend 3 nights or if you include a Saturday night stay.

jfklganyc

Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:13 pm

"What's really funny is that in the shared terminal C, US spent a little money replacing the 1970's monitors with LCDs. Finally!"

1990s monitors thank you very much! With "USAIR" actually burned into the screens. US did nothing with the place since it opened in 1992. DL changed that!

US has finally put up flat screens with very minimal gate decor. But it is all modern and nice. The departure screens have all been redone too.

It is nice to see new life brought back into Terminal C. IMO, the nicest at LGA

aviateur

Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:20 am

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 20):
Um so the connection carriers own the slots? Directly sell the seats? Fly with their own liveries? It's Delta

I understand your point, BUT... The employees who fly the planes, maintain them, train the crews, and sign the paychecks are no more DL employees than the cashier on the concourse newsstand.
Patrick Smith is an airline pilot, air travel columnist and author

Cubsrule

Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:58 am

Quoting FL787 (Reply 16):
I'm pretty sure LGA-BNA has been MQ only for about a year at least. It's the norm now. In 1Q12,
AA had 5x CR7s and an ER3.

Yes, sorry, that was really unclear. It was about the first of the year they went all-MQ permanently, but IIRC they tried it for a little while in late spring or early summer, 2011 before going back to M82s for a while. I assume from Jetlanta's reference to "M80 costs" that at least some of his data is from the mainline days.

[Edited 2012-09-08 19:13:34]

B777ER

Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:33 am

Two points I have read:

-8% of EWR traffic (passenger)moved to LGA in August (as in taken from UA).
-3% LGA traffic has moved from AA to DL.

[Edited 2012-09-08 19:33:33]

[Edited 2012-09-08 19:34:19]

FlyASAGuy2005

Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:37 am

Quoting aviateur (Reply 27):
I understand your point, BUT... The employees who fly the planes, maintain them, train the crews, and sign the paychecks are no more DL employees than the cashier on the concourse newsstand.

So is the TGIF in the airport REALLY TGIF? Considering everyone working the joint are HMS Host employees. And are trained by HMS host, and their check is signed HMS Host? Come on guy...

Why stop there? Whgat about the whole concept of franchises? I}m all for calling a spade a spade but your view on it is a little skewed. It}s outsourced flying. Nothing more. Nothing less. Doesn}t mean that this isnt DELTA FLIGHTS.

[Edited 2012-09-08 19:42:09]

RyanairGuru

Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:16 am

Quoting aviateur (Reply 27):
The employees who fly the planes, maintain them, train the crews, and sign the paychecks are no more DL employees than the cashier on the concourse newsstand.

By your own logic you have probably never eaten at McDonalds once in your life.

Quoting B777ER (Reply 29):
Two points I have read:

-3% LGA traffic has moved from AA to DL.

Out of interest, do you have a source? I'm not questioning the figures but I'd be interested in reading the analysis of them. If those are accurate then that is really bad for UA. I doubt we'll see a draw down at EWR any time soon, but the O&D EWR traffic is higher yielding than the connections
Worked Hard, Flew Right

airliner371

Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:45 am

On another note, has F9 given up one of there 2 gates now? They operate 3 flights, never with more then one on the ground at once and yet they have 2 gates. I just hope they give up either B1 or B3 so other airlines that actually need gates can use it.

Quote:
Photos: http://www.nycaviation.com/photo-gal...22921

Its good in the pictures to see LaGuardia gates being used fully now.

B777ER

Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:07 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 31):
Out of interest, do you have a source? I'm not questioning the figures but I'd be interested in reading the analysis of them. If those are accurate then that is really bad for UA. I doubt we'll see a draw down at EWR any time soon, but the O&D EWR traffic is higher yielding than the connections

From DL's own internal analysis. And yes, it is and will continue to be bad for UA in the NY area with respect to business O&D.

[Edited 2012-09-08 23:12:06]

fat-g4

Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:28 am

Quick question... How do people choose between LGA, JFK, or EWR? Pretty much whoever has direct flights where there going. I'm sure there has to be other reasons.

slcdeltarumd11

Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:31 am

Tolls can be alot but mostly traffic and distance im sure effects decision.

slcdeltarumd11

Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:33 am

Try to drive from nj to lga or long island to ewr at rush hour and it will be painful

jfklganyc

Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:18 pm

LGA is preferred unless you live in NJ.

From Manhattan, both EWR and JFK are a bit of a schlep.

Do not be fooled by people who tell you EWR is easier to lower Manhattan than LGA...it isn't simply because of two dreaded words: Holland Tunnel.

The reality is LGA is by far the closest of the 3 airports to all parts of Manahattan. Even though it lacks rail service, cabs are cheap enough and business people in the city use Town Car service.

Also, it is a lot easier to get off Manhattan going east towards Brooklyn and Queens than going west.

The three exits west Holland Tunnel, Lincoln Tunnel, GWB have announced delays every morning/afternoon/evening of 45 mins to an hour. THIS IS JUST TO GET THROUGH THE CROSSING.

Going east, you have a lot more options to get off the island.

So when you hear people on a.net say that EWR is close to lower Manhattan because of pics they have seen, they usually don't deal with the realistic travel times in the NY area. The thought of travelling to NJ in the afternoon rush when little old LGA is right there makes LGA more attractive...no pun intended as it is the ugliest airport in the world

slcdeltarumd11

Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:46 pm

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 37):
So when you hear people on a.net say that EWR is close to lower Manhattan because of pics they have seen, they usually don't deal with the realistic travel times in the NY area. The thought of travelling to NJ in the afternoon rush when little old LGA is right there makes LGA more attractive...no pun intended as it is the ugliest airport in the world

haha LGA is a dump but i still think the delta terminal at JFK was/is the worst in the country until its renovated

We all have opinions but I have lived in the NYC area my entire life minus one year. I use to work on Wall Street and live in NJ. I look at it differently. First of all lets remember that LGA is limited to flights 1500 miles of less and has many less destinations than EWR. EWR also has more mainline and the ability to fly one airline with loyalty and consistancy. To compare EWR to LGA is flawed since the airports missions are different.

EWR is also quite realistic for people who live near a path station or NYP who can take mass transit and be more consistant on time and less risk of a massive traffic jam. LGA has no train to it and does see gridlock on the way to Manhattan quite often. I am just saying to say that LGA is not easier for everyone is not accurate and EWR is quite convenient for a large amount of people. I use to work in lower manhattan and flew quite often out of EWR at liek 3 and 4 pm flights and got to EWR quite easily dare i say easier than LGA by car. There are many in Manhattan that use EWR thats all im saying and the reason why UA is able to fly to so many amazing destinations. I had many coworkers who always took the train to EWR and JFK to fly out on business since they have low luggagge on short trips and didnt want to bother with traffic.

codc10

Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:58 pm

Quoting B777ER (Reply 29):

The unmitigated disaster that United has become since the merger is no doubt a major boon to Delta, and so the expansion could not possibly have come at a worse time for United.

adambrau

Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:07 am

It's true about the Holland Tunnel - I walk by the traffic everyday going home from work - anytime after 330pm going west to EWR it is a disaster. Until around 7pm. Primarily when business travelers are returning home to catch flights. Agree LGA is easiest.

FutureUScapt

Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:43 am

Quoting PSU.DTW.SCE (Reply 2):
As for schedule tweaks, there have been some:
- Cutting LGA-PHL this fall
- Cut LGA-OMA
- Increasing flights and capacity on LGA-Florida flights for this winter
- Upgauging LGA-NAS to a 757 for the peak winter/spring break season
- Added some mainline flights on some flights that were initially flown with 2-class RJs (PWM, RDU, CLT, BUF, MCI)
- Reduced the BOS-LGA shuttle from A319 to E75

One more tweak to add:

DL will be ending its 3x LGA-YOW service after 31Oct

Quoting panamair (Reply 1):
- Will start 2x daily LGA-SRQ in December

DL has evidently just decided to run this as only a 1x pattern instead. All told, NYC-SRQ will still be roughly double what it was last year with 4x daily service this year (2x B6 JFK, 1x B6 LGA, 1x DL LGA) compared to 2x daily last year.

nycdave

Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:55 am

Quoting CODC10 (Reply 39):
The unmitigated disaster that United has become since the merger is no doubt a major boon to Delta, and so the expansion could not possibly have come at a worse time for United.

DL has been very aggressively going after corp contracts since loading up at LGA, and both DL and AA have been going after disgruntled UA/CO frequent fliers, offering matching status and bonuses. Would not be at all surprised if that has had *some* effect. Not sure about 8% though.

EWR has a near-monopoly on west-of-hudson traffic, and does fairly well from manhattan (nearly as many pax as JFK) between 14th-96th streets. LGA and JFK do a pretty good job of splitting the market from Long Island and the boroughs. LGA is the dominant favorite, however, for all of Manhattan, with 40% of the traffic going there, and the rest more or less split between JFK, and EWR/SWF.

Almost none of LGA's traffic gets there by public transit -- only 7% take the bus, and over half take some sort of hired car.

I think we can infer from that, that any gains LGA has gotten at the expense of EWR would be from Manhattan-origin pax whose previous direct options were JFK or EWR, and found EWR more convenient.

Besides being a shorter car ride (almost no matter the traffic) than JFK or EWR, LGA is well-liked by business pax as being a quick "curb-to-gate" airport. Sure, it's a dump, they might say, but it's a dump you don't have to spend much time walking through!

B777ER

Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:22 am

Quoting nycdave (Reply 42):
DL has been very aggressively going after corp contracts

Not directly related to LGA but AT&T has moved their corporate contract from SWA to DL.

airliner371

Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:10 am

Quote:
Almost none of LGA's traffic gets there by public transit

If only the MTA would extend the N, Q and 7....

Quote:
Not directly related to LGA but AT&T has moved their corporate contract from SWA to DL.

Didn't even know AT&T had a contract with SWA. Does SWA have any other big contracts in NYC?

nwmke

Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:46 pm

It is affecting b6 loads in and out of JFK from the east coast, because of the larger Jets they are using. The buisness men also prefer close in LGA.
flying is all i love

PIEAvantiP180

Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:58 pm

Quoting nwmke (Reply 45):

Is this something that B6 has come out and said publicly or is this internal B6 communications that you heard from one of their employees.

nwmke

Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:09 pm

A few of their employees at JFK said that the loads from upstate have lightened up with the buisness men.
flying is all i love

airliner371

Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:13 pm

If an AA/US merger happens, we can certainly expect them to have to give up slots (I am thinking about 20-25) in LGA and WN and B6 would love these slots.

I think this would be a great thing for LGA because LCCs have never had a large slot portfolio in LGA (or DCA for that matter).

I think if WN could have 50-60 flights from LGA that would really be beneficial for all of NY. I say WN specifically because the only other LCC that could do something is B6 but B6 having large ops in 2 NY airports would not be as beneficial as B6 having 1 and WN having 1.

Quote:
A few of their employees at JFK said that the loads from upstate have lightened up with the buisness men.

That stinks for B6 because B6 has to operate upstate to keep their JFK slots.

[Edited 2012-09-15 14:14:35]

nwmke

Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:21 pm

DL has all jets from new england where as US had mainly dash 8s which has also effected B6's loads. They're more reliable.
flying is all i love