JOYA380B747
Topic Author

BA 777 Missed Landing At BOM?

Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:04 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTCBToq41hE

I don't know if it was mentioned earlier, but from the video showing part of the missed landing, a disaster or maybe a skid was averted.
If it wasn't for AI and those money mongers sitting in the parliament, 9W would have been as big as SQ...:(

jetfuel

Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:07 pm

Just a typical day in the life of a professional pilot. No big deal and certainly nothing anywhere near a disaster
Where's the passion gone out of the airline industry? The smell of jetfuel and the romance of taking a flight....

theginge

Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:30 pm

Doesn't look anything more than a go around after the main wheels touched the ground..

JOYA380B747
Topic Author

Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:29 pm

Thank you folks, my lack of depth of knowledge w.r.t crosswind landings led me to think otherwise.
If it wasn't for AI and those money mongers sitting in the parliament, 9W would have been as big as SQ...:(

skipness1E

Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:41 pm

A non event, LHR gets one a day :p

wahdadli

Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:05 am

how is a go around a non event? Its frequency does not make it a non event in my mind.

xjramper

Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:17 am

Go arounds are a non-event in the fact that pilots train for that (among a whole host of different situations) over and over again so when the need arises, they don't give it a second thought.

Or maybe BA was just doing touch and goes? 
Look ma' no hands!

FI642

Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:34 am

The pilot was just being safe. Better a go-a-round than an into-the-ground any day of the week!
737MAX, Cool Planes for the Worlds Coolest Airline.

iFlyLOTs

Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:46 am

Quoting xjramper (Reply 7):
Or maybe BA was just doing touch and goes?

Speedbird 123 short final, touch and go.  

It doesn't look too bad, just possibly a touch hard on the actual touchdown. But that's just from a GA pilots point of view..
"...stay hungry, stay foolish" -Steve Jobs

BA777ER236

Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:53 am

Interesting that this was caught on film like that.

I have not heard anything from within BA as to why this happened, however:

BA have recently been emphasising during simulator training the need to keep an open mind about going around even just after touchdown if there is a perceived problem with conditions or the amount of runway still available. They have also been stressing that the non handling pilot (non landing) should remain alert and 'in the loop' all the way through short finals and the landing - sounds obvious, but it is very easy to 'switch off' when you think it is an easy day and you have a very competent pilot next to you performing the landing(especially when you are tired after a long sector)!

So, during the recent past, we have been practising go-arounds from very low or after touchdown (baulked landings) in the simulator.

I would say that the video does not show a hard touchdown nor a 'bounce', so I would like to think that there was another reason, such as a deep touchdown, a technical problem or maybe the crew saw a runway infringement further down the field and elected to 'discontinue' the landing.

In any event, the aircraft appeared well controlled as the gear was retracted shortly after becoming airborne again, so I think that shows that the crew were well on top of it and not struggling to keep up with the aeroplane. They presumably landed off the next approach, so no harm done and the safest course taken.

Cheers

Flying would be easy if it wasn't for the ground

migair54

RE: BA 777 Missed Landing At BOM?

Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:10 pm

It could be because a gust of wind was taking the plane off the runway. Actually the landing looks quite good until the go around. Check the video below to see a bounce landing with go around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNtWqsC9Z8g

skipness1E

Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:24 pm

Quoting wahdadli (Reply 5):
how is a go around a non event? Its frequency does not make it a non event in my mind.

A professional pilot is trained to handle it in the same way as a landing, if the circumstances change, the action is changed to reflect those circumstances. It is an expected daily occurence at LHR, and indeed I have seen more than 85 with my own eyes in the last seven years.

HAWK21M

Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:55 am

Def not a touch and go as there was no such NOTAM in the day at BOM....looks more like a GoAround after touching down.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos