multimark
Topic Author

Why Does AC Have Two Hangars In YVR?

Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:48 am

I lnow the easy answer is one of the hangars was inherited from CP. But given that it has been @12 years since the merger, why do they still retain their original hangar and the CP Ops building? And given that they're trying to lease out hangar space in the CP building, why not just sell off their original AC hangar and consolidate everything in the Ops complex? It seems to me they'd have plenty of space, and could probably even accommodate Jazz operations all under one roof.

RWA380

RE: Why Does AC Have Two Hangars In YVR?

Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:25 pm

Totally guessing, but I'd expect one has been AC since it's erection, and the other belonged to CP, and AC got it.
Next Flights: PDX-HNL-OGG-LIH-PDX On AS, WP & HA

YYCFlyer

Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:07 pm

One hangar is used for Jazz Air and the other is used for Air Canada.
'Opinions Expressed By This Poster Do Not Reflect Those Of My Employer'

My16sidedoffice

Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:52 pm

It would make sense to move into the old Canadian Ops center as the whole facility is so much larger. I can only imagine though how many feathers that would ruffle from the old school Air Canada employees. Either way it's a lot of money tied up operating 2 large facilities.
Jazz has their own hangar and is a separate entity so sharing hangar space isn't really a good idea.

rfields5421

Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:36 pm

Quoting multimark (Thread starter):
why not just sell off their original AC hangar and consolidate everything in the Ops complex?

Before they can sell something as large as an aircraft hanger - there has to be a buyer.

What airlines/ businesses in Vancouver are looking to buy a hanger that large?

KELPkid

Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:42 pm

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 4):
Before they can sell something as large as an aircraft hanger - there has to be a buyer.

What airlines/ businesses in Vancouver are looking to buy a hanger that large?

Abandonment is always an option... 
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

YYCSpotter

Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:51 pm

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 5):
Abandonment is always an option...

But whats the fun in that?   

but really, there would be no profit there, so AC Would never even conside it...
I

airforceone

Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:25 pm

I was wondering why Westjet would not buy it. For a while there was a plan to flatten Burkeville and build a hanger for Westjet there. Now Westjet uses the old hanger where the BCIT use to be and they can only fit one plane in there at a time.

pictues

Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:40 pm

Actually per space the original ac hanger can hold more planes at once, during the strike in 98 air Canada put 7 planes into their hanger in yvr. Max for the content hanger in one spot is 5. But yes using the whole cp hanger you can put a more aircraft

qblue

Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:18 am

I believe that Westjet is using the old BCIT hanger on the south side. But all they do there with the plane is minor maintenance and wash there aircraft. I think YVR bought the AC hanger to help AC when they where cash strapped and AC is now just leasing it. YVR also owns the JAZZ hanger and also just leasing. The old CP hanger was with AVEOS and is now empty all tooling have been auctioned off and is all gone. Air Transat some times rent the last bay in the old CP hanger for the winter for some minor repairs and keep aircraft warm when layover is few days.

slcdeltarumd11

Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:59 am

My first question was who would want the other one? What is the point of consolidation if no one wants the other one?

Viscount724

Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:11 pm

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 10):
My first question was who would want the other one? What is the point of consolidation if no one wants the other one?

Reply 9 says AC is leasing their former hangar from the YVR airport authority. If they don't need it and could cancel the lease they could presumably save the lease payments.

multimark
Topic Author

Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:40 am

Quoting YYCFlyer (Reply 2):

No, there's actually three hangars involved there. North of Grant McConachie Way is the CP Ops building with its hangars (now AC). South of Grant McConachie Way is the large AC hangar, and beside it a smaller hangar for Jazz.
As stated, it seems to me everything could be consolidated into the CP building.

Viscount724

Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:34 am

Quoting multimark (Reply 12):
Quoting YYCFlyer (Reply 2):

No, there's actually three hangars involved there. North of Grant McConachie Way is the CP Ops building with its hangars (now AC). South of Grant McConachie Way is the large AC hangar, and beside it a smaller hangar for Jazz.
As stated, it seems to me everything could be consolidated into the CP building.

The former CP Ops Centre (now AC) hangar is bigger than both of the old AC hangars combined.

Both of the original AC hangars in this photo. The smaller and older one on the left was built around 1960. The larger hangar on the right opened sometime in the 1970s if memory correct.

http://www.rayjanko.com/aerials/album_pix_2/1.jpg

The older hangar (then TCA) in the early '60s soon after it opened, with one of every member of the fleet at the time (DC-8, Vanguard, Viscount). The vacant land on the far (north) side became the site of the CP Ops Centre several years later. It opened in 1969, soon after the new terminal opened. When the photo below was taken there was almost nothing else in that area as the passenger terminal was still the old, very inadequate facility on the south side of the airport.

The ex-CP, now AC hangar when under previous management.

http://www.airport-data.com/images/airports/small/005/005983.jpg

When under construction in the mid-60s. It was enlarged by around 1/3 about 10 years later. The houses and buildings in the distance are long gone and are now covered by runway 08L/26R.

As it looks now (first photo with 2010 Winter Olympics artwork).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/acm83/4338790122/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jorgphoto/5422813513/