BoeingGuy
Topic Author

AS SJC-MCO?

Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:46 am

Hi guys,

The Wikipedia entries for both SJC and MCO state that AS is going to start SJC-MCO service on about Oct. 13. That's the same day (actually I think it's 10/11) that AS does start SAN-MCO, which is also listed in Wiki.

Is the SJC-MCO route an error in Wiki, or does someone know something that we don't know?

I was looking at the SJC page in Wikipedia so see if NH was listed yet as serving SJC and ran across the info that shows MCO as a new AS destination from SJC. As I said, SAN is correctly shown separately on the MCO page, so whoever put that in Wiki didn't simply mistake SJC for SAN.

What gives?

hiflyeras

RE: AS SJC-MCO?

Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:56 am

Has to be a typo....would love to see that in the future though!!

BoeingGuy
Topic Author

Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:03 am

Quoting hiflyeras (Reply 1):
Has to be a typo....would love to see that in the future though!!

Like I said, there is both SAN and SJC for AS, shown as starting the same day, on Wiki's MCO page. And it's on the SJC page. I had thought the person just mistook SJC for SAN, but SAN is still correctly shown also.

Yeah, I'd love to see more AS expansion out of SJC, but it doesn't doesn't seem to be happening, after some initial expansion (Hawaii, SJD, etc). AUS and GEG have actually been discontinued.

AS dropping AUS; not starting SJC-BOS when B6 dropped it for last Winter; and passing on SNA slots for QX (when I'd like to have seen them start SJC-SNA) made me think that AS was not going to continue building up SJC as a focus-city, unfortunately.

I'd love to see AS add (or reinstate) PVR, GEG, SNA, TUS, AUS, MEX, ORD, MCO, RDU and BOS from SJC.

ANA787

Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:50 am

I'd expect a return of PDX-MCO before SJC-MCO. PDX after all is an AS hub, not SJC. And SFO already has nonstop flights to MCO.

[Edited 2012-09-10 18:55:09 by ANA787]

legacyins

Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:31 am

If it does not have a citation next to it, I would skeptical.

PlanesNTrains

Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:38 am

Quoting ana787 (Reply 3):
I'd expect a return of PDX-MCO before SJC-MCO. PDX after all is an AS hub, not SJC. And SFO already has nonstop flights to MCO.

True. However, they added a PDX-SJC-XXX flight awhile back, though the "XXX" escapes me now.

-Dave
-Dave

Tomassjc

Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:50 am

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 2):
Yeah, I'd love to see more AS expansion out of SJC, but it doesn't doesn't seem to be happening, after some initial expansion (Hawaii, SJD, etc). AUS and GEG have actually been discontinued.

With an increase to daily service to all 4 Hawaiian Islands since April, 2x daily (and very successful) flights to RNO since June, PSP returning in November, and daily to GDL and SJD coming up in December, AS has MORE than enough to keep it busy at SJC. Believe me! Expect to see a dozen new faces on the front line as hiring continues throughout the fall to keep up.

Tomas SJC
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your eyes turned skyward -Leonardo DaVinci

hiflyeras

Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:58 pm

I think any perceived slowdown in growth out of SJC is due to the lack of aircraft for trying new routes. Hawaii flying has been such a great success...and AS wants to have a substantial foothold into all Hawaii markets they're serving prior to any new entrants appearing (WN, VX. G4). It looks like they're successful in that regard and should have much of their current network to themselves for a while longer.

Once the few remaining holes in the Hawaii market are filled I believe you'll see new and returning routes out of SEA, PDX, SJC and SAN.

legacyins

Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:04 pm

Update: no longer showing in Wikipedia. No go for AS to MCO.

BoeingGuy
Topic Author

Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:21 pm

Quoting hiflyeras (Reply 7):
Once the few remaining holes in the Hawaii market are filled I believe you'll see new and returning routes out of SEA, PDX, SJC and SAN.

Any hints?

Off-hand I can think of the following discontinued routes that may be candidates to return:

SEA: DCA, CUN
PDX: MCO, TUS (very short time), SJD, PVR
SJC: GEG, PVR, TUS, AUS
SAN: BOI

Tomassjc

Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:44 pm

Quoting hiflyeras (Reply 7):
I think any perceived slowdown in growth out of SJC is due to the lack of aircraft for trying new routes

Actually, it is possible to use a RON aircraft on a SJC-East Coast redeye and have it return in time for a mid morning Hawaii or SEA departure. Currently there are 4 to 5 (depending on the day of the week) aircraft that overnight at SJC. I believe that scenario has been suggested to "The Emerald Tower" by local management and airport authorities, who would like to see further AS growth at SJC.
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your eyes turned skyward -Leonardo DaVinci

ANA787

Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:49 pm

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 9):
Any hints?

Off-hand I can think of the following discontinued routes that may be candidates to return:

PDX: MCO, TUS (very short time), SJD, PVR
SJC: GEG, PVR, TUS, AUS
SAN: BOI

Add PDX-DEN, PDX-RNO, PDX-RDD to that list.

BoeingGuy
Topic Author

Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:01 pm

Quoting ANA787 (Reply 11):

Add PDX-DEN, PDX-RNO, PDX-RDD to that list.

Yep. I didn't include the QX destinations like ACV, LMT, PDT, etc but did forget about PDX-DEN.

Quoting Tomassjc (Reply 10):
I believe that scenario has been suggested to "The Emerald Tower" by local management and airport authorities, who would like to see further AS growth at SJC.

Any hints? What would be the most likely if AS started a transcon from SJC? FLL? MCO? BOS? DCA (slot permitting)?

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 9):

Surprised no-one caught this. I meant IAD, of course.

sjc4me

Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:04 pm

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 5):
True. However, they added a PDX-SJC-XXX flight awhile back, though the "XXX" escapes me now.

-Dave

It was the AUS flight.
Unable.

mtnwest1979

Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:42 pm

As a side-note, I notice in AS magazine they don't even show their SEA-MCO route.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

PlanesNTrains

Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:02 am

Quoting sjc4me (Reply 13):
It was the AUS flight.

Ah, that's right. Well, that didn't last I guess.

-Dave
-Dave

JetAmericaS80

Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:18 am

It would not surprise me to see some future expansion from SJC or the rest of the Bay Area. Just the other day an AS captain was telling me that they were sent a survey asking, if AS were to open a new crew base, which of the four options would they prefer. Options were SAN, HNL, OGG, and Bay Area (SJC/OAK/SFO). Now it's very possible this means nothing, but it was interesting nonetheless. It would be nice to see AS compete with Volaris out of OAK, if the market is there. On a side note, it was very interesting to find out on my last pass through OAK that SATA flies there! Who would have guessed?

JetA
The Best Buy in the Sky, Treat yourself to Jet America!

MCOflyer

Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:25 am

Quoting mtnwest1979 (Reply 14):

Still shows it on the route map.

KH
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos