stlgph
Topic Author

American Eagle - Rename That Airline!

Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:16 pm

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/

"AMR Eagle president and chief executive officer Dan Garton told his employees Wednesday that the addition of SkyWest as an American Airlines partner will impact AMR Eagle’s operations."

One of the changes - the airline will rename itself.

Interesting changes, particularly replacing 44 seaters with 50 seaters, given one of their biggest competitors is looking to cut 50 seaters as much as possible - and they're going to end the 'Connection' brand - in order to expand the 'Eagle' brand - only to change it.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

rj777

RE: American Eagle - Rename That Airline!

Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:20 pm

I don't think they're talking about just re-naming American Eagle.....

[Edited 2012-09-12 07:26:30]

b6a322

Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:27 pm

Quoting rj777 (Reply 1):
It can't possibly become American Express for obvious reasons.

Well I'm not so sure about that...it would certainly take the pressure off of designing a new logo. Available on the cheap, too. 

But at the same time...American Connection doesn't sound too bad.

[Edited 2012-09-12 07:37:09]
The content I post is solely my own opinion. It is not an official statement by/of/for nor representative of any company

stlgph
Topic Author

Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:44 pm

Quoting b6a322 (Reply 2):
Available on the cheap, too.

Ha. I know a few folks down at AmEx who'd love to get on here and respond to you about that ;0

Also, Bloomberg reports Skywest will fly 23 planes for AMR.

[Edited 2012-09-12 07:45:33]

BC77008

Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:07 pm

I think what he means is that the airline will rename itself from American Connection to American Eagle.
"He waited his whole damn life to take that flight. And as the plane crashed down he thought 'Well isn't this nice...'"

OzarkD9S

Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:15 pm

Too bad American Express is taken.  
Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL

ordbosewr

Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:20 pm

Well, it makes sense that AMR needs to change the name of the regional airline they own from AE to something else so they can use the AE brand for ALL regionals they will have.

I like the brand consistency this will create.

Now, the big question still not addressed is the long-term plan for (current AE) regional under AMR. That has to be addressed, but it seems like they are not going to the route of DL and shut it down.
They are in BK, they need to take the opportunity to fix the structure. Maybe making the current regional in AMR a 70-90 seater flier they will make it easier to spin it off at a later date.

Newark727

Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:22 pm

American Widgeon? American Robin?

Wait, wrong set of associations...

lhcvg

Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:29 pm

Quoting stlgph (Thread starter):
Interesting changes, particularly replacing 44 seaters with 50 seaters, given one of their biggest competitors is looking to cut 50 seaters as much as possible - and they're going to end the 'Connection' brand - in order to expand the 'Eagle' brand - only to change it.

Keep in mind that one problem remains their heavily restricted large RJ flying. I don't mean to overstate that case, but they don't have as many options (yet) for adding RJ capacity as their competitors, so 50 seaters may be about the best they can do.

INFINITI329

Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:30 pm

Why didnt they jus expand the american connection brand? Have the contracted flying fly under american connection and american eagle remain eagle....simple.

stlgph
Topic Author

Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:31 pm

Quoting LHCVG (Reply 8):
Keep in mind that one problem remains their heavily restricted large RJ flying. I don't mean to overstate that case, but they don't have as many options (yet) for adding RJ capacity as their competitors, so 50 seaters may be about the best they can do.

Well it's nice their 50 seaters are finding a new home with cut backs in 50 seat flying at DL and UA

Cubsrule

Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:35 pm

Quoting stlgph (Thread starter):
One of the changes - the airline will rename itself.

Your premise is wrong. The Eagle name is staying. AA itself says . . .

Quote:
As a result of the rebranding exercise, we will eventually discontinue the use of the AmericanConnection brand and will use the American Eagle brand for all of our regional partners. All other mainlines have one brand for their regional partners.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

stlgph
Topic Author

Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:49 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 11):

Let's revisit.

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...st-changes-at-american-eagle.html/

“Although we all share a pride with the American Eagle name, the name and the brand belong to AMR, and it is not surprising that American would want to have a consistent brand for all of its regional flying – just as all other mainlines have one brand for their regional partners,” Garton wrote.

“So, for now, we will continue to be American Eagle Airlines, but over the coming months we will be looking into creating a new name and identity for our company and our people,” his message said.

Cubsrule

Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:52 pm

Quoting stlgph (Reply 12):
Let's revisit.

But aside from the union, is anyone saying that? We have had Executive (OW) operating as American Eagle and American Eagle Airlines (MQ) operating as American Eagle for some time.

stlgph
Topic Author

Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:54 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 13):

American Eagle's ceo Dan Garton is saying the name will eventually change from American Eagle.

I'm not sure why this isn't sinking in.

Cubsrule

Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:10 pm

Quoting stlgph (Reply 14):
American Eagle's ceo Dan Garton is saying the name will eventually change from American Eagle.

The name, but not the brand. So I say who cares? It's not like anyone who doesn't work for American or hang out on a.net knows that OW is called Executive.

airliner371

Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:03 pm

Quote:

So it will be American Eagle operated by [new name]. So American eagle will be the Delta Connection of American and the actual American Eagle airlines will be renamed. For the customer this is no big deal, it's like ASA and ExpressJet merging.

To me this sounds like spin off prep so there wouldn't be a naming rights problem...

realsim

Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:36 pm

Quoting airliner371 (Reply 16):
So it will be American Eagle operated by [new name]. So American eagle will be the Delta Connection of American and the actual American Eagle airlines will be renamed. For the customer this is no big deal, it's like ASA and ExpressJet merging.

To me this sounds like spin off prep so there wouldn't be a naming rights problem...

Exactly. The American Eagle brand will remain, and it will be used by all the regional airlines who fly for AA. The problem is that American Eagle is also the name of the actual American Eagle Airlines, and that's what will need to change.

- American Eagle [operated by American Eagle Airlines].
- American Eagle [operated by Skywest Airlines].
- American Eagle [operated by Expressjet Airlines].
- American Eagle [operated by Chautauqua Airlines].

The first one is the one who will change.

commavia

Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:40 pm

Quoting ORDBOSEWR (Reply 6):
but it seems like they are not going to the route of DL and shut it down.

At least not yet.

Quoting infiniti329 (Reply 9):
Why didnt they jus expand the american connection brand?

The American Eagle name is far larger, has far more of a history, and is far more recognized in a lot of places. American Connection is today 15 jets flying in and out of a few Upper Midwest markets from ORD.

Quoting airliner371 (Reply 16):

Exactly. And remember - this is already how American Eagle operated for the first 15 years of its existence. Beginning in November 1984 and for nearly 15 years after, Eagle was operated by various individual companies, some eventually owned by AMR and some not. It was not until 1998 that AMR actually bought up all four of their major Eagle operators and merged three of them into what is now called American Eagle Airlines, Inc.

pu

Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:10 pm

If you bother to check American Eagle's recruiting page, they have been big time recruiting for non-benefitted ground personnel in a large number of stations. The once great Air Wisconsin is on its way to becoming a pure ground handler with no flying after their US contract expires. Will Eagle migrate to become a pure ground handler with no flying? The ground services arm of AMR to compete with Delta Global, AirWisconsin, GAT, etc?

...American Ground Services...AGS...a good name...

Pu

flyby519

Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:18 pm

Quoting commavia (Reply 18):
Exactly. And remember - this is already how American Eagle operated for the first 15 years of its existence. Beginning in November 1984 and for nearly 15 years after, Eagle was operated by various individual companies, some eventually owned by AMR and some not. It was not until 1998 that AMR actually bought up all four of their major Eagle operators and merged three of them into what is now called American Eagle Airlines, Inc.

It is crazy how history repeats itself. I will wager there will soon be more than 4 carriers flying under the American Eagle banner again.
These postings or comments are not a company-sponsored source of communication.

srbmod

Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:28 pm

Please continue the discussion in the following thread:

Skywest Might Operate For AA (by LAXintl Sep 11 2012 in Civil Aviation)