srbmod
Topic Author

PIT Update Thread #24

Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:27 pm

Continuing the discussion from:

PIT Update Thread #23 (with Old Pics) (by PITrules Sep 10 2012 in Civil Aviation)

A reminder, please do not overload threads with images, as not all of our users have computers or internet connections that can handle a lot of images in a thread.

PITrules

RE: PIT Update Thread #24

Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:46 pm

"Pittsburgh International Airport's Airmall getting a $10 million makeover"

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...airmall-getting-a-makeover-653352/
FLYi

PITrules

Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:39 pm

"Gas drilling bids sought for Pittsburgh International, Allegheny County airports"
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...-allegheny-county-airports-654245/

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburg...ks-for-airport-gas-lease-bids.html

"Airport's Success Grabs Attention"
"Mike Boyd, an aviation consultant with the Boyd Group in Evergreen, Colo., said there is no competition between Pittsburgh International and Arnold Palmer Regional."
http://www.aviationpros.com/news/107...8/airports-success-grabs-attention

I'm not sure what Mr. Boyd is smoking; PIT and LBE are in the same MSA and LBE very much draws from all of it and beyond. Traffic at PIT is decreasing while its increasing at LBE.

[Edited 2012-09-20 16:47:57]
FLYi

pgh234

Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:04 am

Natural gas prices are at record lows...I'd certainly sit on this for a while.

PITrules

Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:00 am

Quoting pgh234 (Reply 3):
Natural gas prices are at record lows...I'd certainly sit on this for a while.

At first I thought the same. This is also the reason no one bid last time. When gas prices subsequently came back up Allegheny Co politics interfered as the County Exec was determined to funnel that revenue away from the airport, which of course is not allowed.

However, the royalties to be paid to the ACAA in this latest bid are on a percentage basis (18%), so it might not hurt to get a bid out to see if anyone bites. If gas prices come back up so will revenue.
http://flypittsburgh.com/UserFiles/File/pdf/bus_ops/Gas_Lease_RFB.pdf
This is not my area of expertise, so I really don't know if 18% is considered lucrative or not in comparison to similar deals.

I think the timing of this is more of a desperation move, as the ACAA knows their fees are not competitive and they need to come down. They are feeling the heat from LBE (see previous post), and possible daily service at YNG. Then there is the matter of OKC-CLE service on United. Some speculate that flight is to service the local energy sector (which Pittsburgh is in the center of). Personally I think Cleveland is removed from the energy sector and this is more of a matter of CLE simply being a hub for onward connections, including shale centers such as PIT, DUJ, FKN, BDF, etc

[Edited 2012-09-20 21:44:19]
FLYi

steeler83

Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:31 pm

Quoting PITrules (Reply 2):
I'm not sure what Mr. Boyd is smoking; PIT and LBE are in the same MSA and LBE very much draws from all of it and beyond. Traffic at PIT is decreasing while its increasing at LBE

The article went on to state that even though they are serving the same catchment, they're serving two different types of fliers. LBE targets mainly lesiure travelers while PIT handles mostly business travelers...

Still, they flying public is the flying pubic, and there is some degree of passenger siphoning taking place here considering the limited number of travelers within the greater PIT/LBE catchment...

Still, it's pretty cool to see PIttsburgh with two commercial airports serving it...  
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

PITrules

Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:53 pm

Quoting steeler83 (Reply 5):

The article went on to state that even though they are serving the same catchment, they're serving two different types of fliers. LBE targets mainly lesiure travelers while PIT handles mostly business travelers...

I read the article. PIT very much serves leisure travelers. In fact, in 2010 MCO was PIT's largest O&D market; TPA and LAS were in the top 5.
FLYi

steeler83

Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:06 am

Quoting PITrules (Reply 6):
I read the article. PIT very much serves leisure travelers. In fact, in 2010 MCO was PIT's largest O&D market; TPA and LAS were in the top 5.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I know PIT serves leisure travelers. I'm saying that PIT serves more business travelers than LBE does. How far up on the list are Philadelphia, Atlanta, New York, and Chicago for PIT?
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

PITrules

Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:24 am

Quoting steeler83 (Reply 7):
How far up on the list are Philadelphia, Atlanta, New York, and Chicago for PIT?

Here's where I got my data from; page 18:
http://74.209.241.69/static/entransi...nrod_BoardMembersCommissioners.pdf

I'm incorrect in stating MCO was PIT's largest market when you add the 3 NYC airports together.
FLYi

dumbell2424

Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:34 pm

TSA is closing alternate checkpoint from 8am-2pm

http://www.timesonline.com/news/tran...3-2052-586f-91c8-6ddc95154580.html

boeingkid

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:09 pm

Maybe they need to keep it open

Airline worker may have tried to slip security at Pittsburgh airport

http://triblive.com/home/2660700-74/...irport-breach-flight#axzz27UiYpVbr

USPIT10L

Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:46 pm

Quoting BOEINGKID (Reply 10):

Probably tried to go through the bagroom. That's instant termination right there, even if she only wanted to put her bag on the cart for the flight.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

kpitrrat

Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:23 am

Good for whoever turned the individual in question in, very responsible and proactive. Even though that airport is pretty much dead it still deserves the same amount of diligence as other, more busy airports.

Flaps

Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:36 am

It's not that dead. Ever try to get through security on Sunday afternoons?

slcdeltarumd11

Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:47 am

Passenger wise I am guessing no wide bodies but who regularly flies 757s daily into pit? us?

Cush

Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:31 am

Quoting BOEINGKID (Reply 10):
Maybe they need to keep it open

http://triblive.com/home/2660700-74/...YpVbr

This story brought back memories... I remember when I worked for AE years ago, we were hanging out in the breakroom below Concourse D and a woman we worked with was flying one of our flights. She was hanging out with all of us, but prior to the flight boarding, they made her take her bag, ride back to the main terminal and go through security like everyone else.

The whole "Security" that the TSA provides is a joke and laughable, but that is another story for another thread. If there is one thing that makes me mad, it's watching a TSA employee trying to flex their muscles and making some poor innocent travelers life hell. They feel that they are high and mighty with their stupid blue shirts and fake badges, but really, they have one of the most pitiful and dispised jobs ever. ha. i wish TSA people would grow up and get real jobs.

NOTE: On a recent flight, i had a new big bottle of Cologne, and a tiny tiny bottle of Listerine (with the plastic wrap still arond the top un-oppened). The TSA jerk said "oh sir, you can't bring this on the flight", and i thought they were referring to the cologne, which i had just shelled out $60 for. Instead, they meant the tiny bottle of unopened listerine.... I was puzzled... I asked how i was allowed to bring a big spray bottle of cologne on the flight, yet, a sealed miniature bottle of mouth wash was not allowed??? Honestly, what could someone do more damage with on a flight, a bottle of cologne you could use as a form of mace to spray at someone, or a sealed bottle of mouth wash? Anyways, that's my little rant about PIT TSA. Any chance we can expect privatized security again in the future?
Fly me to the moon let me play among the stars.

N670UW

Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:10 am

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 14):
Passenger wise I am guessing no wide bodies but who regularly flies 757s daily into pit? us?

No scheduled widebodies. 757's from US Airways (to PHL) and Delta (ATL and CDG). United sends one in every now and then.

PITrules

Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:22 am

FLYi

kkephart13

Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:00 pm

DL is starting Daily A319 service to LGA starting NOV 5th.
EVERYTHING i type on here, is the opinion of ME and not of any airline/company.

PITrules

Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:04 pm

Quoting kkephart13 (Reply 18):

Nice upgrade, but this seems only to be less than daily service for a few weeks centered around the holidays.

"Donald Rossi, airport authority chairman, reiterated the agency’s plans to build a new terminal and a parallel runway as part of an airport expansion. Rossi did not offer a timetable for the project, but the authority board this summer discussed borrowing as much as $20 million for the project."
http://triblive.com/news/westmorelan...o-authority-business#axzz27gQoMFTy

I knew about desires for a new terminal, but a parallel runway?! Getting ahead of themselves at LBE.

Anyway, here is a new background video on LBE:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExdFKB2qUvY&feature=youtu.be
FLYi

Flaps

Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:37 pm

Quoting PITrules (Reply 19):
Getting ahead of themselves at LBE.

I'll say. LBE is certainly not in need of another runway. The terminal on the other hand is definitely needed at the present. Still however that is a big commitment for a small airport to one carrier. Better keep it very simple and flexible in design so that it can be used for other purposes if/when NK loses interest.

flyinryan99

Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:57 pm

A 20 year celebration will be held in the next week or so. I still remember my first time through this back in 1995...was 13 going out to DEN. Still wish I had access to connect through that facility.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/pittsb...rport-celebrates-20-155800907.html

Quote:
PITTSBURGH, Sept. 27, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- On October 1, the Allegheny County Airport Authority will celebrate 20 years of the Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT) in its current facility and share the vision for the future in attracting more passengers, flights and economic development to the southwestern Pennsylvania region. A news conference will be held Monday, Oct. 1 at 10 a.m. at the Ticketing Level Landside Terminal. The Airport will also host Family Fun Day, a public celebration on Saturday, Oct. 6 at Pittsburgh International Airport from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., which includes guided tours to the airside terminal and AIRMALL. Event parking will be free.

Since its opening in October 1992, the Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT) has been recognized as a world-class, technologically advanced facility and transportation system. PIT services more than 8 million travelers each year and remains among the top airports in the United States and world based on customer satisfaction.

steeler83

Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:01 pm

Quoting Cush (Reply 15):
The whole "Security" that the TSA provides is a joke and laughable, but that is another story for another thread. If there is one thing that makes me mad, it's watching a TSA employee trying to flex their muscles and making some poor innocent travelers life hell.

Yeah, like my wife's and mine last year flying back from SEA. If you want the whole story I can send you a PM rather than post it here...

Quoting N670UW (Reply 16):
No scheduled widebodies. 757's from US Airways (to PHL) and Delta (ATL and CDG). United sends one in every now and then.

Doesn't (or didn't) DL send a 757 to JFK?

Quoting PITrules (Reply 19):
Quoting kkephart13 (Reply 18):DL is starting Daily A319 service to LGA starting NOV 5th.
Nice upgrade, but this seems only to be less than daily service for a few weeks centered around the holidays.

Still, it's a nice upgrade even if it's for a couple of days out of the week.

Quoting Flaps (Reply 20):
Quoting PITrules (Reply 19):Getting ahead of themselves at LBE.

I'll say. LBE is certainly not in need of another runway. The terminal on the other hand is definitely needed at the present. Still however that is a big commitment for a small airport to one carrier. Better keep it very simple and flexible in design so that it can be used for other purposes if/when NK loses interest.

I've kinda been looking at the air field around ABE to see what they would do with a second runway should a need for it arise. If they're considering it now, I think they're jumping the gun. Yes, they're already handling way more people than they've ever had, but I still don't think it's enough to warant another runway. A bigger terminal, yes, perhaps, but not an additional runway. They need to build things as they're needed instead and not all at once...

flyinryan99

Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:18 pm

Quoting steeler83 (Reply 22):
I've kinda been looking at the air field around ABE to see what they would do with a second runway should a need for it arise. If they're considering it now, I think they're jumping the gun. Yes, they're already handling way more people than they've ever had, but I still don't think it's enough to warant another runway. A bigger terminal, yes, perhaps, but not an additional runway. They need to build things as they're needed instead and not all at once...

What I think they really need is radar at the tower. I've flown numerous times into LBE and either had to slow up or hold until an aircraft has landed before I can shoot an approach in IFR conditions.

kkephart13

Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:14 pm

Quoting steeler83 (Reply 22):

Doesn't (or didn't) DL send a 757 to JFK?

Yes they did, last year. It went CDG-PIT-JFK if i remember correctly.

USPIT10L

Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:27 am

Quoting Cush (Reply 15):
The whole "Security" that the TSA provides is a joke and laughable, but that is another story for another thread. If there is one thing that makes me mad, it's watching a TSA employee trying to flex their muscles and making some poor innocent travelers life hell. They feel that they are high and mighty with their stupid blue shirts and fake badges, but really, they have one of the most pitiful and dispised jobs ever. ha. i wish TSA people would grow up and get real jobs.

I agree wholehearted, and remember, they don't just pick on passengers, they can treat the employees like crap too. They gave a new-hire of ours crap for trying to go through security with a company ID as photo ID--that's allowed! The worst part about it was that we'd seen this lady for about four or five weeks prior and never gave us any grief whatsoever. One new-hire comes by and she becomes Gestapo, I don't get it--I don't think I ever will.

N670UW

Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:06 am

Quoting kkephart13 (Reply 24):
Yes they did, last year. It went CDG-PIT-JFK if i remember correctly.

They did a few days a week this summer too. I flew it JFK-PIT in June on the way back from MCO. Nice airplane. It continued onto ATL though, so I'm not sure of the purpose of that routing. I haven't seen it in the schedule for a while though.

kkephart13

Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:14 am

Quoting USPIT10L (Reply 25):
Quoting Cush (Reply 15):

I agree wholehearted, and remember, they don't just pick on passengers, they can treat the employees like crap too. They gave a new-hire of ours crap for trying to go through security with a company ID as photo ID--that's allowed! The worst part about it was that we'd seen this lady for about four or five weeks prior and never gave us any grief whatsoever. One new-hire comes by and she becomes Gestapo, I don't get it--I don't think I ever will.

Im so proud of where our taxpaying money is going!! (i surely hope you all sensed that sarcasm...)

Quoting N670UW (Reply 26):
They did a few days a week this summer too. I flew it JFK-PIT in June on the way back from MCO. Nice airplane. It continued onto ATL though, so I'm not sure of the purpose of that routing. I haven't seen it in the schedule for a while though.

If i remember correctly too on this, When the Aircraft arrived from CDG, it turned to JFK. Right at the next gate was another 757 doing a turn to ATL. It was cool as hell to see 2 DL 757's.

kubus

Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:48 am

Quoting kkephart13 (Reply 18):

It also makes the last departure at 7p instead of 7:45p with block time at over 2 hrs. A little insane. Don't like this change at all. Going back to flying on US.

Come to think of it, US used to run 321s on last flight out of LGA with occasional 734.

steeler83

Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:03 pm

Quoting N670UW (Reply 26):

Somewhat off topic, but I had a chance to fly on a 753, but the assholes at the TSA ruined that for me by a mere 2 minutes! Yep, that was last year flying out of Seattle...

Quoting kkephart13 (Reply 27):
Im so proud of where our taxpaying money is going!! (i surely hope you all sensed that sarcasm...)

You were sarcastic? Really? Gee wiz...  
Quoting kkephart13 (Reply 27):
If i remember correctly too on this, When the Aircraft arrived from CDG, it turned to JFK. Right at the next gate was another 757 doing a turn to ATL. It was cool as hell to see 2 DL 757's.

I like seeing any airline's 757 or larger aircraft there. Heh, back in the days of the US hub, numerous 757s (as in more than two at a time) parked down the A and B concourses were not uncommon...

On the subject of LBE, I am curious as to what their terminal expansion will look like, and where exactly the Laurel Valley Expressway will intersect with the PA Turnpike.

Flaps

Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:05 pm

Quoting steeler83 (Reply 29):
On the subject of LBE, I am curious as to what their terminal expansion will look like, and where exactly the Laurel Valley Expressway will intersect with the PA Turnpike.

I believe that the intersection with the Turnpike would be in the vicinity of Mount Pleasant, most likely on the New Stanton side, somewhere around the Chrysler/VW/Sony/Whatever it's called now facility.

I like seeing any airline's 757 or larger aircraft there. Heh, back in the days of the US hub, numerous 757s (as in more than two at a time) parked down the A and B concourses were not uncommon...

I got lucky a couple of times this summer and caught four 757's (2 DL, UA, US) on the ground at the same time.

[Edited 2012-09-28 09:22:07]

pliersinsight

Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:15 pm

With all the talk of the old days, I thought I was seeing things the other day from the Sam's club parking lot when I saw simultaneous approaches taking place......

masseybrown

Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:35 pm

Quoting PITrules (Reply 4):
Then there is the matter of OKC-CLE service on United. Some speculate that flight is to service the local energy sector (which Pittsburgh is in the center of). Personally I think Cleveland is removed from the energy sector and this is more of a matter of CLE simply being a hub for onward connections, including shale centers such as PIT, DUJ, FKN, BDF, etc

Chesapeake Energy, headquartered in OKC, has a regional exploration office in Uniontown, OH - spitting distance from CAK airport and about 50 miles from CLE. They don't generate enough traffic (yet?) to demand a CAK-OKC flight, but CLE is otherwise the closest.

Chesapeake is probably a big enough corporate contract that they can demand and get the flight. Prior to merger associated CO cuts, CLE-OKC was twice daily.

PITrules

Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:56 am

Regarding PIT's 20 year Midfield anniversary:
http://old.post-gazette.com/pg/12274/1265412-147.stm

Where to begin on this nonsense?
""It makes my stomach grind," said Tasso Katselas, the Pittsburgh architect who designed the complex. "I try to fly at peak hours so that it appears to be busy."

Mr Katselas designed a building based on concrete structure, while the world's airport design community moved to steel and glass structure. CVG T3, Munich, and several others opened during the same period and still look very up to date today, while the PIT baggage claim looks like a 20 year old concrete bomb shelter. I'm not sure why Mr. Katselas has a meaningful opinion on the matter? He did design a bus shelter locally, but other than that he keeps claiming to this fame.

"It's easy to forgive the 1993 master plan that calculated 40.8 million travelers by 2013, given that it would have taken a biblical prophet to predict the kind of upheaval in the airline industry that has left the midfield terminal a shell of its former self."

A biblical prophet's upheaval left midfield a shell of its former self? Or was it that this is Pittsburgh, a market which does not sustain the level of service seen in SFO, MIA, EWR, etc. C'mon Mr. Belko, really?

"A new concessions concept, called the Airmall, also took off, with a blend of national and regional retailers that were required to charge the same prices for merchandise and food as they did at their off-airport locations."

The term "Airmall" might have been coined, but PIT is hardly the first shopping plaza in an airport. ZRH, AMS, SIN, etc were well before.

"Mr. Katselas remains angered that federal and local politicians didn't secure guarantees from the airline to keep its hub in Pittsburgh in exchange for the billions of dollars in aid the airline received after the Sept. 11 attacks.

"Quite frankly, they're the ones responsible for what we have now," he said.
"

Perhaps Mr Katselas can attempt to correlate the 9/11 attacks on the United States with why PIT should remain a US Airways hub today?

"With the congestion on the East Coast and at other major hubs, Mr. Katselas believes the county also should be pitching the fuel savings airlines can achieve operating out of Pittsburgh. One thing that sold US Airways on the midfield terminal was a study that showed the airline could save up to $12 million a year in fuel costs because of the X-shaped terminal design and its location in the middle of the airfield.

"It's a matter of realizing how economical it would be for them to operate here. They have to be shown facts and numbers," Mr. Katselas said.
"

Except that after midfield opened, Rwy 32 was still preferred for landing, which actually increased taxi burn, and 28L is still preferred for T/O (along with 28R), which also increases taxi burn in comparison to the old terminal.

Nowhere in the article is mention that it is plain expensive to operate at PIT in relation to similar markets.

[Edited 2012-09-30 02:11:06]
FLYi

tarmacphotos

Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:19 pm

Pittsburgh airport marks 20th anniversary with Paris flights:

http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/local/...ersary-pittsburgh-internati/nSQcH/

steeler83

Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:07 pm

In addition to the expanded CDG flights on Delta, Republic is about to double its workforce at PIT. They plan to hire 200 workers to service more of their aircraft there, which will bring their total workforce to 500. That's according to the Tribune Review:

http://triblive.com/home/2701611-74/...aintenance-currently#axzz284xboQQJ

Quote:
Meanwhile, Republic Airways Holdings plans to hire nearly 200 maintenance workers at Pittsburgh International in early 2013, said Bradley Penrod, executive director of the Allegheny County Airport Authority.

Republic, which operates Frontier Airlines, has about 300 workers at Pittsburgh International now. With the additional personnel, Republic plans to service more of its fleet here.

quote directly from the article...

edit: spelling error (expanded CDL flights? Sorry, it's been a long day for me...)

[Edited 2012-10-01 13:08:34]

kpitrrat

Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:22 pm

From what I have observed DGS operates the inbound F9 flight from PUJ. Not sure if there are any other F9 flights out of there but I havent seen many of these supposed 300 republic workers already at PIT. Where are they?

Flaps

Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:22 pm

Republic operates out of the old TWA hangers next to the Heinz hanger. On another note, does anyone know if a timetable exists for WN/FL and UA to con
solidate operations?

PITrules

Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 am

Here are a few more details about both the terminal and Laurel Valley Connector, which seems more likely to be an upgrade to existing roads rather than a new expressway:

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...port-connector-gets-update-656129/

""We're going to have about 300,000 people a year going to the airport next year with the expansion of Spirit Airlines flights to Dallas," Mr. Courtney said. Spirit currently flies to Myrtle Beach, S.C., and to Orlando and Fort Lauderdale in Florida, and the number of passengers has steadily increased in the past two years.

"The authority wants to expand and build a new terminal with two new gates, and bring the tower into the new building," he said. It is applying for a $20 million grant from the Federal Aviation Administration to do that.

Personally, I think a slight increase to the gate area and a second jetway to the existing terminal is more than enough. $20 million for what amounts to one more gate and a new tower is nonsense. OTOH, this would be in the form of a federal grant. If LBE doesn't get it, someone else will. LBE has been masterful over the decades at attaining grant money.

Speaking of 757s at PIT, United is now scheduling the occasional 757 on IAH-PIT. But what I find more remarkable is the number of 737-900s now on the route, which essentially have the same capacity. For example, Oct 19 shows 1 757 in addition to 3 737-900s, and a 738. Some days are all 739s. This is obviously the energy sector 'fueling' this. Only a few years ago PIT-IAH was 3 daily ERJs but is now 5 mainline, most of which are 739s.

[Edited 2012-10-06 17:36:48]
FLYi

boeingkid

Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:40 am

Airport wants TSA to open Airmall to public

http://triblive.com/news/2710558-74/...t=Google+Feedfetcher#axzz28a4YXSvd

Maybe it would lower the landing fees

threeifbyair

Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:37 pm

Quoting PITrules (Reply 38):
Speaking of 757s at PIT, United is now scheduling the occasional 757 on IAH-PIT. But what I find more remarkable is the number of 737-900s now on the route, which essentially have the same capacity. For example, Oct 19 shows 1 757 in addition to 3 737-900s, and a 738. Some days are all 739s. This is obviously the energy sector 'fueling' this. Only a few years ago PIT-IAH was 3 daily ERJs but is now 5 mainline, most of which are 739s.

Impressive growth. That probably explains why I see so many PIT-IAH-SEA connections available on UA, despite the terrible routing. IAH unfortunately isn't an efficient connection point for most US destinations ex-PIT.

UA seems to be providing a lot of westbound capacity into PIT, though, vs. DL. Fares are commensurately lower as well. I'm still hoping for AS, though, as I'm making the trek to SEA a lot now.   

PITrules

Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:36 pm

Looks like they opened an exhibit in the Airside terminal showcasing the terminal's 20 year anniversary.

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburg...airports-family-fun-day-event.html

Kind of funny the photo of the model display of aircraft to come through PIT - half of those were either single charters or diversions (UA 744, CO 772 & 764). I don't remember a Concorde flight in the last 20 years either, although it was used to launch BA service in 1985.
FLYi

NWADC9

Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:36 am

I was a bit bummed I had to miss out on the event due to work and other tasks, but now that I know Delta had a 757-200 open to the public, I'm ticked!

Quoting PITrules (Reply 41):

Looks like they opened an exhibit in the Airside terminal showcasing the terminal's 20 year anniversary.

Looks like the old children's clothes store. Or was it a toy store?

Quoting PITrules (Reply 41):
I don't remember a Concorde flight in the last 20 years either, although it was used to launch BA service in 1985.

Concorde flew into PIT?  Wow!
Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that? -Capt. Picard

PITrules

Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:46 am

Quoting NWADC9 (Reply 42):

Here's for the inaugural BA service in 1985:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...04503&dq=concorde+pittsburgh&hl=en

Pic:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...60520&dq=concorde+pittsburgh&hl=en

Looks like it returned later in 1985 as well:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...49209&dq=concorde+pittsburgh&hl=en

I might be corrected on visits during the new terminal era:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...33032&dq=concorde+pittsburgh&hl=en
(That would have been only a couple days after the new terminal opened)

Again in 1994:
http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/...ort=YMD_date:D&s_trackval=GooglePM

.. And 2002:
"Pittsburgh Post-Gazette : NO HEADLINE

$2.95 -
"Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - Feb 24, 2002
The Concorde is coming to Pittsburgh on May 14, as part of a unique 10-night trip organized by Montclair Travel of Saint Louis. Passengers will fly directly from ... .
"
http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/...ort=YMD_date:D&s_trackval=GooglePM

After all that, this one says Concorde only made the one visit in 1985:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...97240&dq=concorde+pittsburgh&hl=en

I dunno, its a mystery. I'd think there would be more pics of this if all these flights did indeed happen but the only one I could find is the one linked above for the BA inauguration.
FLYi

kpitrrat

Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:55 pm

I apologize for asking this a week after it was in PIT but I had a photo I had taken with my phone but unfortunately it keeps appearing sideways when I try to upload it so I figured it would be better to not post it so people are not looking at the image and get a kink in their neck.

As to what I am referring...Last Sat (10/13) a UA 763 (N661UA, still in Tulip livery) landed at PIT after being diverted on its original route IAD-ORD. Looking at the flight path it appeared the ac back-tracked somewhat to come back to PIT.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N...A/history/20121013/2115Z/KIAD/KPIT

It stayed overnight at C61 and departed on Sun (10/14) for ORD.

2 Questions: 1) Was wondering if anyone could give some insight on why it diverted to PIT and stayed overnight.

2) After the ac left the gate it taxied over to PIT's cargo area and parked behind the UPS aircraft. There they removed the baggage cans from under the plane and it departed shortly thereafter. Why is this?

From my vantage point upon departure it appeared to me that the plane was empty (no pax or baggage). I say this because it was up in the air way before I am used to seeing planes rotate on 28R.
Also the cans that were removed from the plane were loaded into a semi truck and sent who knows where on Monday.

Just my curiosity getting the best of me...Thanks!

USPIT10L

Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:17 pm

Quoting kpitrrat (Reply 44):
2 Questions: 1) Was wondering if anyone could give some insight on why it diverted to PIT and stayed overnight.

There was a medical situation onboard. All the pax were deplaned and rebooked. Major pain in the arse. Fortunately, working the Express side means I didn't have to deal with it.

On a further note, the ExpressJet/United Express station closed last Monday. Essentially the last vestige of Continental Airlines in Pittsburgh closed with it. 25 years of dedicated service and great times. Easily the saddest day of my airline career. I am now working for American Eagle working the United ticket counter. At least I got full-time, now to find out when my days off are!

kkephart13

Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:29 pm

WN is starting PIT-HOU on 4-14. and LAS is going to 2x daily.

PITrules

Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:59 pm

Quoting kkephart13 (Reply 46):
WN is starting PIT-HOU on 4-14. and LAS is going to 2x daily.

HOU is both predicted and welcome. Competition to Houston is very welcome. The amount of energy traffic from there was just discussed in this thread, and with lower fares hopefully the market will be stimulated even more. Many of the Marcellus and Utica Shale workers still drive up from Texas - hopefully this will convince some to fly.

What I find really interesting is HOU (along with the short lived DL SLC flight) will be a service which Pittsburgh never had before even in the peak hub days.

LAS actually is already served 2x daily; IIRC they had 3x daily at one point.
FLYi

USPIT10L

Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:03 pm

Quoting PITrules (Reply 47):
What I find really interesting is HOU (along with the short lived DL SLC flight) will be a service which Pittsburgh never had before even in the peak hub days.

Not Hobby, of course. IAH has been served since about 1980, IIRC. About time WN started this, even though it gives UA some competition.

PITrules

Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:29 pm

Quoting USPIT10L (Reply 48):
Not Hobby, of course. IAH has been served since about 1980, IIRC

I'm referring to HOU; I still find it an interesting little factoid
FLYi