Airline Named Arenas/Stadiums

Tue Oct 17, 2000 11:18 am

Delta Center (Salt Lake City)
United Center (Chicago)
American Airlines Arena (Miami)
Continental Airlines Arena (Jersey)
TWA Dome (Saint Louis)
America West Arena (Phoenix)
USAir Arena (Maryland, is it still standing?)

What about NW or WN?

Maybe jetBlue should try for the new arena going up in Newark.

With the new retractable roof football stadium going up in Houston, maybe Continental or Southwest? (Rumored to be host for 2004 Super Bowl)

Any others?

DaveT

RE: Airline Named Arenas/Stadiums

Tue Oct 17, 2000 11:22 am

Air Canada Centre, Toronto (Maple Leafs and Raptors)

Prior to AC's purchase of Canadian:

Canadian Saddledome, Calgary (Flames, Stampede, etc.) Currently, no longer associated with Canadian but has been named after some other non-aviation related company.

Republic
Topic Author

Tue Oct 17, 2000 11:23 am

I forgot Air Canada Centre (Toronto)

How about the Boeing Bowl for the new football stadium in Seattle?

redngold

Tue Oct 17, 2000 11:24 am

I think most of those airlines either own the arena/stadium or have paid BIG BUCKS to get their name on it for a certain period of time.

I'm not sure Southwest would spring for that. They're good at flying and running an airline, and I think they'll stick with the philosophy of "doing what we're good at" instead of branching out into arenas and stadia. Besides, they're already "the official airline" of several organizations (NHL?)

redngold
Up, up and away!

redngold

Tue Oct 17, 2000 11:25 am

Boeing Bowl = Bowling Ball? LOL... sounds too similar. I think people would have a lot of fun with that!  

redngold
Up, up and away!

DaveT

Tue Oct 17, 2000 11:27 am

No airline owns any of these stadiums for one reason, if I was a stock holder, the last thing I need to see is "my" money being spent building a 200 million dollar stadium....

kind of like those ameritrade commercials....

"SELL.... SELL!!!!!"

Republic
Topic Author

Tue Oct 17, 2000 11:31 am

Has the new football stadium being built in Denver sold its naming rights?

DaveT

Tue Oct 17, 2000 11:34 am

probably going to go to Coors Beer.... That would make sence wouldn't you think.

Over in the world of amusement parks, we have the "British Airways Millenium Wheel". Would that count in your list?

Republic
Topic Author

Tue Oct 17, 2000 11:42 am

Hopefully the only time you'll be upside down with BA!

I also forgot FedEx Field (Maryland/DC), home of the Redskins.

How about Airbus Field for Seattle. Think that would get some attention?

sammyk

Tue Oct 17, 2000 11:47 am

There will be a new arena in Dallas for the Stars & Mavericks. Its called American Airlines Center. Looks real nice, hope they can get the ice colder than the slush at Reunion Arena.  

http://www.americanairlinescenter.com/

Sammy

Tue Oct 17, 2000 11:54 am

You forgot the new American Airlines Center currently under construction in Dallas, Texas.

Also, the Selwyn Theatre in New York City has been renamed the American Airlines Theatre. It's on the New 42nd Street.

The Washington Wizards no longer play at the US Air Center, but rather at the new MCI Center. I don't think its been ripped down.

The retractable roof baseball stadium in Houston is Enron Field.

The retractable roof baseball stadium in Denver is Coors Field, so unlikely the football one will carry the same corporate sponser.

Other corporate sponsers:
Tropicana, Pro Player, Turner Broadcasting, Ericcson, Phillips, Alltell, MCI, FleetBoston, Bush Beer, First Union, Key Bank, Coors, Pepsi, GM, Bank One, Comerica, Staples, National Car Rental.

DaveT

Tue Oct 17, 2000 11:56 am

I would like to think the "Aloha Bowl" in Honolulu but sadly, I don't think it has anything to do with Aloha Airlines.

But heck.... anything in Hawaii is right!

Republic
Topic Author

Tue Oct 17, 2000 12:03 pm

Twannh:

Yes, you are correct. the retractable roof baseball only stadium is Enron Field.

The retractable roof football only stadium, currently under construction adjacent to the Astrodome, will be home to the NFL's expasion Houston Texans in 2002.

http://www.houstontexans.com

If you think that's not enough, in November, the taxpayers will be voting on a third! new stadium, this one for the Rockets and a future? NHL team. This time, the vote is expected to pass. Maybe the Continental Airlines Center?

blink182

Tue Oct 17, 2000 12:14 pm

The beatifull American Airlines centre down town! It looks really nice and it is being designed by the same architect who did the ball park in arlington. American has computerized pics of the interior and it is supposed to have an aviation theme to it aswell. Next year when I go to a stars game(which is not to rare) I will tell you how it is. I am glad that the new arena is being named for my favorite airline(thats the only reason I like it!)
Redngold- If i am right, the national airline of the NHL is AirCanada.
blink182
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

Tue Oct 17, 2000 12:20 pm

I believe that the brass at Continental have stated that they won't ever try for naming rights in Houston because the name recognition is so great here already that the investment wouldn't bring a great return.

propilotjw

Tue Oct 17, 2000 12:39 pm

I know it was mentioned but I have to say it again. TRANS WORLD DOME HOME OF THE ST LOUIS RAMS!!!!!!!!!

It is also a little known fact that Southwest Airlines claims to be the official airline of the St Louis Cardinals but The Cardinals only fly TWA. It is also a little known fact that Mark Mcgwire requests to have a Baby Rith candy bar on every flight and Tony Larousa has two bottles of red wine awaiting him at his seat.

Tom in NO

Tue Oct 17, 2000 1:03 pm

Think about the US airlines that DO NOT have a stadium named after them: Northwest, Southwest, and Alaska. OK, are there any possibilities here?

Northwest (would probably be in MSP, DTW, or MEM):
MSP: no new stadiums coming (Twins could use one)
DTW: nothing new here, blew their chance with Comerica Field
MEM: no professional teams

Southwest (DAL or HOU):
DAL: AA stole this one, I wonder if SW will pull their Stars sponsorship
HOU: depends on who sponsors the Titans

Alaska (SEA):
SEA: how about naming the Seahawks new digs after the Eskimo airline?

Other than these, there's not a whole lot left, unless you want to start talking commuter airlines or minor league teams.

Tom in NO (at MSY)
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

Republic
Topic Author

Team Names

Tue Oct 17, 2000 1:07 pm

Philadelphia Flyers (NHL hockey)
New York Jets (NFL football)
Houston Aeros (IHL hockey)
Winnepeg Jets (ex NHL hockey)

Any others?

Republic
Topic Author

Tue Oct 17, 2000 1:10 pm

Detroit has a new football stadium going up. I'm not sure if Ford has the naming rights or not. Maybe NW might try for this one.

OH-LGA

Tue Oct 17, 2000 1:12 pm

On September 30, 1999 Finnair announced that it would lend it's name to the new football (read: soccer) stadium being built in Helsinki.

The name? Finnair Stadium. Seats 11,000. Supposedly it opened in June 2000, but I haven't heard anything about it (being 10 timezones and a 10 hour flight away doesn't help  )

Moi,
Kai
Head in the clouds... yet feet planted firmly on the ground.

DaveT

RE: Team Names

Tue Oct 17, 2000 1:31 pm

In the unknown world of the Canadian Football League... we have the Winnipeg Blue "Bombers".... and boy have they been bombing over the last 4 years.

The Bombers are a spinoff from aviation for those that don't know.

Republic
Topic Author

RE: Team Names

Tue Oct 17, 2000 1:37 pm

I know this one is a "stretch" (pun intended): Philadelphia 76 ER s (NBA basketball)

fjnovak1

Tue Oct 17, 2000 2:15 pm

The Detroit Lions have a new stadium opening for 2002...it is already called Ford Field.

I don't know why Northwest doens't have a corporate sports facility...maybe if the Twins ever move to a new stadium instead of that ugly Metrodome it will be called "Northwest Alirlines Field," or something like that.
Go Blue!!

Tue Oct 17, 2000 3:35 pm

I think LaRussa, McGuire and co. will need a little more than Baby Ruth and Red Wine after tonight's performance 

Ya gotta believe....  

TWFirst

RE: Tom In NO

Wed Oct 18, 2000 12:43 am

Tom:

NW just missed its chance to name a new arena in MSP. The Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul just opened a couple of weeks ago. Home of the expansion NHL Minnesota Wild. Could have been Northwest Airlines Arena (They can't just name it Northwest Arena because there's a chain of fitness centers here called Northwest - not affiliated with NWA). But you are right, discussions are underway for a new Twins Stadium and the Vikings want a new stadium as well so maybe NWA will have another opportunity.

BTW, does anyone know what the new baseball stadium in St. Louis will be called?? I'm sure going to miss Busch Stadium.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

RayChuang

Wed Oct 18, 2000 10:51 am

You know, the new football stadium going up in Seattle is going to have possibly two bidders for the naming rights: Boeing and Microsoft--and maybe Starbucks if Starbucks can cough up US$40 million for the rights.

I think the name "William E. Boeing Stadium" sounds great for that new football field, but given the fact that Paul Allen owns the Seahawks, the possibility of "Microsoft Stadium" or "Paul Allen Field" is very real.

Mind you, the best "named" sports facility in the USA right now is PacBell Park in San Francisco, CA.