seansasLCY
Topic Author

Estonian Launch TLL-LCY

Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:51 pm

Estonian are to launch Tallinn to London City on the Embraer 190. Very unexpected IMO.

http://www.aviator.aero/press_releas..._source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

finnishway

RE: Estonian Launch TLL-LCY

Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:05 pm

Very unexpected indeed. Good for business travellers and tourists especially from Baltic states, Finland and Russia.

I have been waiting for more routes from LCY, but this was a surprise.

smws

Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:23 pm

This was an option made available by the purchase of the Embraers. There's been talk of this in the Estonia media for the past month, after the cancellation of flights to LGW was announced.

As for the reasons - I'm imagining they struck a cheaper deal with LCY than LGW or LHR. The airport itself isn't a factor for travelers and with OY making heavy losses, the price must be a crucial factor. Also, maybe they managed to get better timeslots.

Clydenairways

Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:40 pm

Quoting smws (Reply 2):
As for the reasons - I'm imagining they struck a cheaper deal with LCY than LGW or LHR. The airport itself isn't a factor for travelers and with OY making heavy losses, the price must be a crucial factor. Also, maybe they managed to get better timeslots.

LCY is much more expensive to operate into than LHR and LGW.

I don't see this route lasting very long.

smws

Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:06 pm

Quoting clydenairways (Reply 3):

Oh? Is this just down to LCY charging more or are there any additional costa?

GIANCAVIA

Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:53 pm

Quoting smws (Reply 2):
As for the reasons - I'm imagining they struck a cheaper deal with LCY than LGW or LHR.

Cheapest for them would have been Luton but I think Ryanair does that route 3 or 4 times a week already.

smws

Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:58 pm

Quoting Giancavia (Reply 5):

That would've been a decent choice. In part, OY seems to have been forced into this position. After the flights to Gatwick were cancelled, it caused an uproar in the local media, with businessmen complaining at the need for service and the minister making comments. As an Estonian, I'm glad they're resuming service, but at the same time, this does seem to bd another questionable choice, especially as OY is losing money.

SKAirbus

Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:48 am

I'm surprised Estonian didn't go for LHR with far better connection options. LCY is a pure O&D airport and I doubt there is enough demand.

Although it is called E-Stonia, and Tallinn has financial and hi-tech industries, it is a very small city and I doubt that the demand is there. Oh well, this isn't the first mistake Estonian Air has made! Look at the mess their fleet is in!
Next Flights: LHR-OSL (738), OSL-CPH (320), CPH-LHR (321), LHR-HEL (359), HEL-LHR (359)

finnishway

Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:11 pm

Quoting SKAirbus (Reply 7):
I'm surprised Estonian didn't go for LHR

Slots aren't very cheap there.

Quoting SKAirbus (Reply 7):
I doubt that the demand is there.

I think they are trying to copy BT in some way. They want passengers especially from Finland and Russia.