catiii

PHF Hedging Their Bets With JetBlue?

Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:42 pm

Thought this was interesting from one of the JetBlue execs twitter feeds: https://twitter.com/#!/martysg/media/slideshow?url=pic.twitter.com%2FdypU05Ma

Maybe PHF isn't so confident that PeopleExpress will fly?

airliner371

RE: PHF Hedging Their Bets With JetBlue?

Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:51 pm

Quote:
Thought this was interesting from one of the JetBlue execs twitter feeds:

Thats awesome. I don't know how B6 does in Richmond but if they don't want to serve both they could leave Richmond and move to PHF.

Quote:
Maybe PHF isn't so confident that PeopleExpress will fly?

I'm not confident they will either. None the less they would rather have B6 then PeopleExpress.

catiii

Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:53 pm

Quoting airliner371 (Reply 1):
None the less they would rather have B6 then PeopleExpress.

I think it's a crapshoot. Does having a new entrant lowfare carrier based at your airport outweigh having an established lowfare carrier offer, say, 3 flights a day total out of your airport?

airliner371

Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:07 pm

Quote:
I think it's a crapshoot. Does having a new entrant lowfare carrier based at your airport outweigh having an established lowfare carrier offer, say, 3 flights a day total out of your airport?

True but with PeopleExpress you do not know they will live long where as B6 is more likely to live and stronger.

spiritair97

Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:00 pm

Quoting caTIII (Thread starter):

I don't think anybody is confident PEOPLExpress will fly. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see it fly. Another new tail at PVD and some classic 737s finding a new home, but at this point, it seems like just another concept.

Also, a little off topic, but what ever happened to California Pacific???

lat41

Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:38 am

The 737-400, a superb aircraft, certainly won't be a cheap one to operate in these days of climbing fuel prices. One of the city pairs PVD-PBI has at least for Winter peak months, been claimed by WN. It would be great for Southern New England to be connected with PIT once again, but it will take more than that to operate a station. I wish them the best and hope to see them take flight , but it is a steep climb. Awesome livery in any case.

CIDFlyer

Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:42 am

If they were smart they would try to get B6. Not to be a naysayer on PeoplExpress, but the chances of a new airline succeeding these days are pretty slim. Skybus failed big time, and even something with a namebrand like VirginAmerica still struggles. Having an established carrier like JetBlue would be very helpful. Even trying to woo Spirit would probably be better than putting the eggs in the basket with PeoplExpress.

spiritair97

Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:46 am

Quoting lat41 (Reply 5):

They're supposed to be running the -300, not the -400, though I don't know how much more economical they are.

lat41

Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:03 am

JetBlue may dangle the carrot for a while but agreed, the better bet for Newport News in the long run. PeoplExpress 737-300s may be a little easier to operate than 734s but still is a lot of aircraft for brand new routes.

spiritair97

Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:22 am

Quoting lat41 (Reply 8):

I agree completely. I also think PHF was a bold choice for a starup as well, though I guess it will drum up some D.C. riders and some from the beach, especially during winter.

John

Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:19 pm

I'm actually surprised B6 hasn't entered the Norfolk/Virginia Beach/Newport News market as of yet. Hopefully PHF will be lucky enough to convince them to come there as opposed to ORF. With the recent surprise announcement of CHS to their route map, I'll bet it won't be long.

GSPSPOT

Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:25 pm

Quoting John (Reply 10):
I'm actually surprised B6 hasn't entered the Norfolk/Virginia Beach/Newport News market as of yet.

Very true - it's a VAST metro area/region with a large, mobile population. And, I'll bet most folks on the Hampton/Newport News side of the Hampton Roads would rather saw an arm off than use the congested bridges/tunnels to get to ORF.
Finally made it to an airline mecca!

vatveng

Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:49 pm

JetBlue really is the only airline that has the potential to draw the same level of traffic at PHF that AirTran did. Frontier, while doing relatively well here, isn't an east-coast airline. Allegiant is doing ok on the SFB route but folks around here have a lot more places to go than Florida. Right now the dominant Hampton Roads - NYC carrier is Delta, but only from ORF... their PHF flights are 100% Atlanta. The only way to get from Newport News to NYC is on US Express via PHL or fight tunnel traffic to ORF.

bohica

Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:24 pm

Quoting GSPSPOT (Reply 11):
And, I'll bet most folks on the Hampton/Newport News side of the Hampton Roads would rather saw an arm off than use the congested bridges/tunnels to get to ORF.
Quoting vatveng (Reply 12):
The only way to get from Newport News to NYC is on US Express via PHL or fight tunnel traffic to ORF.

If I was living in the PHF area, I would fly out of RIC before I go to ORF. It is a much easier drive to RIC than dealing with the tunnel congestion going to ORF. You never know what is going to happen in the tunnels.

catiii

Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:31 pm

Quoting spiritair97 (Reply 9):
though I guess it will drum up some D.C. riders and some from the beach, especially during winter.

Not at all. It isn't a good winter beach destination, and DC folks by and large (if they go to the beach in the summer) go to the MD/DE beaches.

ScottB

Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:26 am

Quoting GSPSPOT (Reply 11):
it's a VAST metro area/region with a large, mobile population. And, I'll bet most folks on the Hampton/Newport News side of the Hampton Roads would rather saw an arm off than use the congested bridges/tunnels to get to ORF.

Except the inconvenience of the bridge-tunnels cuts both ways -- and about 70% of the metro area population lives on the ORF side of Hampton Roads. The population on the PHF side amounts to about half a million, and that's less than half the size of the smallest domestic markets B6 currently serves. So if you claim that "most folks on the Hampton/Newport News side of the Hampton Roads would rather saw an arm off than use the congested bridges/tunnels to get to ORF," wouldn't the million-plus people on the Virginia Beach/Norfolk side feel the same way about traveling past ORF to get to PHF?

Quoting John (Reply 10):
I'm actually surprised B6 hasn't entered the Norfolk/Virginia Beach/Newport News market as of yet. Hopefully PHF will be lucky enough to convince them to come there as opposed to ORF.

IMO they won't enter the market unless/until WN announces BOS-ORF -- and that will mean B6 going into ORF. Adding PHF gives them a weak competitive response if WN enters that city pair.

GentFromAlaska

Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:05 pm

Quoting spiritair97 (Reply 9):
I guess it will drum up some D.C. riders

I not sure about that; DCA to PHF is roughly a 3-4 hour drive on the best day. BWI a little further. IAD a little closer. I would think RIC to the south and MDT to the north as a sub to BWI would be considered before PHF.
Man can be taken from Alaska. Alaska can never be taken from the man.

floridaflyboy

Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:54 am

Quoting spiritair97 (Reply 7):

Not true. From their very first press release they've said it will be 737-400s. Even the image on their web site is a 400.
Good goes around!

vatveng

Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:43 pm

Quoting floridaflyboy (Reply 17):
Quoting spiritair97 (Reply 7):

Not true. From their very first press release they've said it will be 737-400s. Even the image on their web site is a 400.

It could go either way, their deal with Qantas to buy their 734s isn't certain:

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...ones-takeoff-in-pittsburgh-644952/

Quote:

PeoplExpress still doesn't have the planes it needs to get started. It has been negotiating with Qantas Airways to buy 14 Boeing 737-400 jets, but has yet to complete the deal. It also is considering 737-300 planes.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos