rumorboy
Topic Author

WN/FL Will Link Up Route Network

Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:41 pm

There was an article about this in the Dallas paper the other day. Gary Kelly spoke at a transportation conference, saying the networks would link up in the 1st qtr 2013.

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/a...o-link-up-their-route-networks.ece

"That means that for the first time, a customer can start a flight in a Southwest city and connect to an international flight departing from an AirTran city, Kelly said at the Boyd Group International’s annual forecast conference in Dallas."

"Kelly indicated that airline officials must decide how to handle the issue of charging fees on flights, though he said Southwest will not begin charging bag fees. “The net effect of the revenue in passengers vs. the fees, it could be an offset. All that remains to be seen,” he said.

" Southwest’s reservation system does not have the capability to handle international itineraries. Therefore, Kelly said, international bookings will be handled on the AirTran reservations systems website until Southwest has a new reservation system in place."

iowaman

RE: WN/FL Will Link Up Route Network

Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:39 pm

Sweet! This will be huge for long time WN city customers as well as FL customers reaching some cities previously unreachable such as BOI, BHM, ABQ, SLC, etc. Opening up bookings through MCO to the Caribbean from the good sized Southwest stations already served out of MCO will provide a boost for Orlando traffic too. I wonder if WN will allow bookings with RR points on WN/FL combo itineraries yet?

slcdeltarumd11

Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:01 pm

Once the route networks are totally integrated I would think SAN-ATL and SLC-ATL are the two easy missing links? SLC i understand they think Delta might upgauge and Delta has defended SLC sometimes most recently US enterting to CLT but SAN just seems like such a natural that has to happen doesnt it?

enilria

Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:46 pm

Did he say whether this "link-up" was international only? Remember they are getting Amadeus specifically for linking international. I'm more interested in how the domestic systems will link.

southwest737500

Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:55 pm

Does this mean I could fly FL from CLT-BWI-PIT.
Next flight: TUL-ATL-CLT CRJ900 and MD88

airliner371

Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:05 pm

From what Gary has said before, this will be domestic and International.

Quote:
Does this mean I could fly FL from CLT-BWI-PIT.

Yes

wnflyguy

Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:20 pm

I see the code share starting in MAR.
Once the code share starts in APR this will give WN the freedom to remove overlapping FL markets.
Now with a full code share FL planes can be redeployed in new markets that have connects to all of WN.
I can see FL add service to:
MDW: ROC,CLT,RIC,DAY,PMW and FLT.
HOU: PNS,MEM,CLT.
STL: GRR.MEM.
ATL: PVD,MHT,ISP,ECP,ALB,BDL and SNA (hehe).
SNA: drop both FL LAS & SFO and add ATL and 2nd MEX.
Thoughts?
wnfg 
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

wnflyguy

Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:26 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 3):

Right now Amadeus part 1 it's just a fix to FINALLY connect and code share all flights.
Amadeus part 2 will be the new combined RES system for WN.
wnfg 

[Edited 2012-09-19 12:27:22]
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

ScottB

Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:12 pm

Did he say whether this "link-up" was international only? Remember they are getting Amadeus specifically for linking international. I'm more interested in how the domestic systems will link.

Apparently the link-up will be available for domestic travel, too -- but international travel will only be bookable on FL's web site until Amadeus is active for WN international service.

airliner371

Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:16 pm

Quote:
Thoughts?

Agree with everything, just adding, SWA will finally be able to convert more ATL flights without largely affecting AirTran pax.

burnsie28

Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:28 pm

This just sounds like a computer/res meltdown waiting to happen.

slcdeltarumd11

Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:25 am

Quoting burnsie28 (Reply 10):

I actually think southwest has taken so long to do this it will be well thought out, organzied, well run and relatively smooth. Plus southwest tends to be pretty well run IMHO not an airline to create disasters and poor planning

usflyer msp

Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:30 am

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 11):
Plus southwest tends to be pretty well run IMHO not an airline to create disasters and poor planning

The way this entire merger has been executed has been piss-poor planning, IMHO.

kcrwflyer

Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:49 am

I actually think southwest has taken so long to do this it will be well thought out, organzied, well run and relatively smooth.

Like the AirTran acquisition?

Plus southwest tends to be pretty well run IMHO not an airline to create disasters and poor planning

See: The AirTran Acquisition.

Quoting wnflyguy (Reply 6):
STL: GRR.MEM.

You can't just post that you see WN adding STL-GRR and walk off like nothing happened. Can you explain what would make that route work?

airliner371

Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:54 am

Quote:
See: The AirTran Acquisition.

I completely agree the merger is not at all as expected by SWA or us but at the end of the day there will have been some advantages to the merger. New destinations, expanded access to DCA, LGA and a large focus city at ATL plus without it, SWA would not have realized they need a lot of fixing (ie. res system etc...). This is an expensive way to find this out but it might have been better to go through this then SWA alone. (We will never know)

MCOflyer

Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:57 am

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 2):

Add MCO-SAN to the list as well.

KH
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

toltommy

Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:08 am

Quoting burnsie28 (Reply 10):

I gotta agree on this one. There's a big difference between this merger and the last two. In the DL/NW merger and the CO/UA merger, there was a migration to one of the two existing systems. In the FL/WN merger, they'll have to migrate two systems into a new systems. In the first two mergers, there was a source of knowledge from at least one side of the merger. In this one, everyone at the combined carrier will be behind the curve. Yikes....

usflyer msp

Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:16 am

Quoting toltommy (Reply 16):
In the FL/WN merger, they'll have to migrate two systems into a new systems.

It actually worse than that. This is two systems (navitare and saas), temporarily connected by a third system (amadeus) while they figure out what combined system (potentially 4th system) they are going to use in the long-term. Talk about potential for disaster!!

Why they didn't just migrate WN to Navitare (I'm sure they would have cut WN a great deal for the volume) for simplicity's sake, I will never understand.

southwest737500

Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:25 am

CLT-MDW
CLT-HOU
CLT-DEN
Next flight: TUL-ATL-CLT CRJ900 and MD88

Bobloblaw

Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:44 am

Quoting rumorboy (Thread starter):
" Southwest’s reservation system does not have the capability to handle international itineraries.

STILL!!!!! How friggin hard is to make an international reservation????? This merger has shwon just how antiquated some aspects of WN are.

airliner371

Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:47 am

Quote:

WN could operate this already if they wanted to. If the route happens it doesn't have anything to do with the codeshare.

Quote:
It actually worse than that. This is two systems (navitare and saas), temporarily connected by a third system (amadeus) while they figure out what combined system (potentially 4th system) they are going to use in the long-term. Talk about potential for disaster!!

What SWA is going to do is add Amadeus for International, see how that happens, if all goes well they have hinted at going all Amadeus (Domestic and International). If all doesn't go well they will work out the kinks and then do domestic res system.

That is what I understand from all that has been said.

LambertMan

Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:53 am

Quoting Kcrwflyer (Reply 13):

You can't just post that you see WN adding STL-GRR and walk off like nothing happened. Can you explain what would make that route work?

I'm not sure "what happened" exactly but I don't think hes required to monitor the board in case someone questions a perfectly reasonable assertion.

His premise, in my estimation, is that it will add network connectivity to a decently sized market in GRR. St. Louis provides similar connecting opportunities to many smaller midwestern stations and I would imagine GRR and perhaps DAY/DSM could be added as well.

airliner371

Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:06 am

Quote:

I think he can and he just did. Please remember we are all here as aviation enthusiasts, cultivating over one topic we all have a passion for. There are nicer ways you could have said this, (i.e. Could you explain please).

Quote:
STL: GRR

STL would provide great connecting opportunities because MDW and MKE are probably way to close for SWA's liking. I could see STL, DEN, BWI and some Florida city or two. Depends on what they want from GRR. If they want more business we could see less Florida, if they go after leisure then more Florida.

enilria

Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:10 pm

Quoting ScottB (Reply 8):

Apparently the link-up will be available for domestic travel, too -- but international travel will only be bookable on FL's web site until Amadeus is active for WN international service.

Do we have a link reflecting that?

rumorboy
Topic Author

Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:45 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 23):

From the article.

"In addition to letting AirTran sell tickets to Southwest-only cities, the linkup will let Southwest passengers buy tickets to AirTran’s non-U.S. destinations, including several cities in Mexico, Jamaica, Bermuda, the Bahamas and Aruba."

ScottB

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:09 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 23):

Also from the article:

Quote:
Kelly said, international bookings will be handled on the AirTran reservations systems website until Southwest has a new reservation system in place.

usflyer msp

Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:37 pm

Quoting airliner371 (Reply 20):
What SWA is going to do is add Amadeus for International, see how that happens, if all goes well they have hinted at going all Amadeus (Domestic and International). If all doesn't go well they will work out the kinks and then do domestic res system.

Southwest has already stated that for a period (until they take over all the FL domestic routes) they will be operating three systems. SAAS for WN, Navitare for FL Domestic, and Amadeus for THFL International. That sounds like a meltdown in the making.

ouboy79

Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:28 am

Quoting usflyer msp (Reply 26):
Southwest has already stated that for a period (until they take over all the FL domestic routes) they will be operating three systems. SAAS for WN, Navitare for FL Domestic, and Amadeus for THFL International. That sounds like a meltdown in the making.

Not really. Honestly once they transitional to international, what is the point for Navitare anymore? There would be no reason to keep domestic FL separate at that point except for brand experience issues on the aircraft. IMO, once international is tested on Amadeus they'll flip the switch to replace SAAS completely.

SANFan

Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:00 am

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 2):
I would think SAN-ATL and SLC-ATL are the two easy missing links?

I've certainly felt this way since WN first announced their intentions to use their own metal at Hartsfield. Yet here we are still, nothing... It's nice to know that others have noticed as well.

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 15):

Yeah, another boat that's sailed on WN. I very sincerely hope that AS continues to jump all over the other opportunities that WN has been ignoring lately here in SAN! (Hey WN, did you notice AS begins n/s SAN-MCO on 10-11-12?! But hey, I understand -- heck, there must be 20 or 30 more routes to add out of Denver first...)

bb

WNCrew

Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:40 am

Quoting SANFan (Reply 28):
Yeah, another boat that's sailed on WN. I very sincerely hope that AS continues to jump all over the other opportunities that WN has been ignoring lately here in SAN! (Hey WN, did you notice AS begins n/s SAN-MCO on 10-11-12?! But hey, I understand -- heck, there must be 20 or 30 more routes to add out of Denver first...)

They're only going to do what they think makes money. I never understand why people act as if it's personal or their "hometown airport" is being ignored. It's all $$$... my favorite place to work flights is MSP bc pax are SUPER kind and friendly but it pays crap from my base... and since kindness doesn't pay my bills I have to work elsewhere as well.

AS might be able to make more from each pax on the route than WN. WN also took SCJ-AUS from AS so it works both ways.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

airliner371

Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:50 am

Quote:
But hey, I understand -- heck, there must be 20 or 30 more routes to add out of Denver first...

Your taking this personally. An airline is there to make money. If WN doesn't think serving SAN-MCO is smart for SWA, it won't. AS thinks they can do SAN-MCO profitably so they fly that route.

Do you know how many SWA flights SAN has? Any city would love to have that many SWA flights but SWA chose SAN to have those flights.

MaverickM11

Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:55 am

Quoting SANFan (Reply 28):

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 15):

Yeah, another boat that's sailed on WN.

Because WN loves 4+ hour transcons 
E pur si muove -Galileo

spiritair97

Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:52 am

Quoting wnflyguy (Reply 6):
ATL: PVD

One can only hope. They could probably make a daily 737 work, as in a market such as this one, it would be easy to beat DL's price.

Jetfixr757

Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:32 am

Quoting usflyer msp (Reply 12):

Who asked for it, don't see you running a 700 aircraft airline!!!!
Jet

wnflyguy

Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:09 am

The BUZZ around WN system today HAWAII and Etops flying is being pushed back until 2016.
Not happy if this rumor is true..wnfg 

airliner371

Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:37 am

Quote:
The BUZZ

When is voting over? There really is no way to tell until voting is over and the actual numbers are spread as a rumor unless they are making this decision with or without the FA vote.

[Edited 2012-09-21 03:41:42]

Atlwest1

Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:53 pm

Quoting wnflyguy (Reply 34):
When is voting over? There really is no way to tell until voting is over and the actual numbers are spread as a rumor unless they are making this decision with or without the FA vote.

Vote is done by noon central results shortly their after.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co. or Airt

gizmonc

Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:57 pm

Quoting usflyer msp (Reply 17):
Why they didn't just migrate WN to Navitare (I'm sure they would have cut WN a great deal for the volume) for simplicity's sake, I will never understand.

SWA tried to move everything over to Navitare and it was not performing well. SAAS has its problems so I presume the powers that be decided that they needed to move over to an entirely new system. Picking Amadeus over Sabre was probably the best solution. After all Amadeus is the choice of Star Alliance. I am surprised that when UA/CO merged they did not move over to Amadeus, but stayed on Shares and moved United over.

Bobloblaw

Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:31 pm

Quoting wnflyguy (Reply 34):
The BUZZ around WN system today HAWAII and Etops flying is being pushed back until 2016.
Not happy if this rumor is true..wnfg

By then there maybe nothing left for WN in Hawaii. Other carriers with lower CASM will step in and start filling the niche.

wnflyguy

Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:08 pm

FA vote or no FA vote. Hawaii is a no go being pushed off regardless is what everybody is talking about.
I'm so glad WN wasting more money again.
SAD TIMES AT MY FAVORITE AIRLINE  
wnSADGuy

airliner371

Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:18 pm

Quote:

FA vote or no FA vote. Hawaii is a no go being pushed off regardless is what everybody is talking about.
I'm so glad WN wasting more money again.
SAD TIMES AT MY FAVORITE AIRLINE

Until there is confirmation, I'm not gonna believe this. The -800 is not a waste of money anyway because they are able to put it in slot controlled airports and routes that can handle more flights.

ouboy79

Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:37 pm

Quoting Bobloblaw (Reply 38):
By then there maybe nothing left for WN in Hawaii. Other carriers with lower CASM will step in and start filling the niche.

Yet WN would still be able to offer the flights and fill them with their own loyal flyers. It might be an issue picking up new passengers that don't already pick WN first when available.

Quoting wnflyguy (Reply 39):
Hawaii is a no go being pushed off regardless is what everybody is talking about.

Considering nothing is public from the company, how else are people suppose to take it? Sure you could be right, but does that mean you are leaking proprietary information that you really shouldn't be sharing on a site that HQ monitors regularly? Sometimes it is best to just bite your tongue before having to ask the union to defend you.

Quoting airliner371 (Reply 40):
Until there is confirmation, I'm not gonna believe this. The -800 is not a waste of money anyway because they are able to put it in slot controlled airports and routes that can handle more flights.

The 800s I feel were essential to WN. Flights are routine full and larger aircraft into slot controlled airports is how it is suppose to work - not dumping billions of RJs.

Atlwest1

Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:43 pm

Quoting ouboy79 (Reply 41):
Considering nothing is public from the company, how else are people suppose to take it? Sure you could be right, but does that mean you are leaking proprietary information that you really shouldn't be sharing on a site that HQ monitors regularly? Sometimes it is best to just bite your tongue before having to ask the union to defend you.

Seeing the way he worded he didn't put a definitive it was more broad, meaning "everybody is talking about it". He did not say Hawaii is a no go. He is just giving a glimpse into the WN water cooler of the moment nothing else.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co. or Airt

Atlwest1

Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:46 pm

So the Tentative agreement covering International Redeye and duty is being blab and reported that it has passed. More details to follow I assume. This will and should speed up the network connectivity process if it has been passes. God i hope this speeds this merger along!

[Edited 2012-09-21 10:59:52]

wnflyguy

Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:50 pm

Regadless if the FA VOTE is a pass or fail and no Hawaii.
I hope they use the new 800 next year to replace the 41 FL 737-700 so they can at least free up the planes on domistic markets and deploy them on more new international markest.
that would at least take the sting away from 2 yrs of 800 and hawaii talks we all been built up on.
wnfg

airliner371

Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:51 pm

Quote:
International Redeye and duty has passed

Do you mean International and redeye or only International Redeye's? None the less, good job to all that voted yes, you are helping your company which will overall help you!

[Edited 2012-09-21 10:53:10]

Atlwest1

Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:54 pm

Quoting wnflyguy (Reply 44):
Regadless if the FA VOTE is a pass or fail and no Hawaii.
I hope they use the new 800 next year to replace the 41 FL 737-700 so they can at least free up the planes on domistic markets and deploy them on more new international markest.
that would at least take the sting away from 2 yrs of 800 and hawaii talks we all been built up on.
wnfg

If that happens they and to speed up the crossing over of employees or there will be lot of people just sitting around at FL.

wnflyguy

Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:16 pm

NOW with this YES vote Hawaii or not lets kick tale and GET moving...
While I was not 100% with the TA. I'M HAPPY IT PASSED.
ROLL OUT THE RED EYES MR BILL....
WNHAPPYGUY NOW..   

usflyguy

Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:02 pm

Quoting wnflyguy (Reply 47):

Red-eyes were in the contract already... they didn't need this to do them.
My post is my ideas and my opinions only, I do not represent the ideas or opinions of anyone else or company.

Atlwest1

Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:16 pm

Quoting usflyguy (Reply 48):
Red-eyes were in the contract already... they didn't need this to do them.

Yes they were allowed to do night flying but now the lanugage is in clear terms for read eye flying which mostly red eye terminology in scheduling and application is meant as a turn meaning ATL-SFO-ATL etc flown through out the night. The sticking point if im not mistaken was a bump up in duty time for certain types of flying.

Quoting airliner371 (Reply 45):
Do you mean International and redeye or only International Redeye's? None the less, good job to all that voted yes, you are helping your company which will overall help you!

I meant International, redeye flying. Punctuation are hard when on mobile and typing fast lol.