corinthians
Topic Author

AA Flight Attendants To Start Using Galaxy Note

Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:40 pm

Good news for Android fans and those who like smartphones in general. AA announced that they will give all 17,000 of their FAs Galaxy Note tablets as inflight data management systems. You hear about the iPad getting transitioned into everyday work use, but good to see Android finally getting some love. For those unfamiliar, the Note is a 5.5 inch tablet/phone that runs on the Android operating system. FAs apparently liked it over the iPad because the screen size was big enough for clear views, but small enough to store away easily.

More details at the link.

http://www.bgr.com/2012/09/19/samsun...note-american-airlines-deployment/

Note that since the Note has a cellular radio, it's technically a cellphone. Does that mean the FAA is changing their on-board electronics policy too?

flyfree727

RE: AA Flight Attendants To Start Using Galaxy Note

Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:43 pm

Quoting corinthians (Thread starter):
Note that since the Note has a cellular radio, it's technically a cellphone. Does that mean the FAA is changing their on-board electronics policy too?

Just as with all other electronic devices, these will be powered down during cricital phases of flight, and will be powered on above 10,000 ft.

AA ORD

mayor

Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:55 pm

Will the F/As be able to argue back and forth, between themselves, using the tablets??  
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

corinthians
Topic Author

Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:57 pm

Quoting flyfree727 (Reply 1):
Just as with all other electronic devices, these will be powered down during cricital phases of flight, and will be powered on above 10,000 ft.

AA ORD

I see you're an FA for AA. How do you like using the device?

jreuschl

Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:11 pm

Do they come pre-loaded with Angry Birds and Flight Control?  

gigneil

Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:17 pm

They obviously can turn them off, permanently if they choose.

NS

Asturias

Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:20 pm

An iPad can have a 3G or 4GLTE cellular radio too.
Tonight we fly

corinthians
Topic Author

Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:47 pm

Quoting Asturias (Reply 6):
An iPad can have a 3G or 4GLTE cellular radio too.

It can, but most people buy the WiFi version because it's a lot cheaper and the data plans for those tablets suck.

gen2stew

Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:52 pm

Do I smell an Alec Baldwin or Words W/ Friends joke in the works?      
I don't know why blessings wear disguises. If I were a blessing, I'd run around nude!

flyfree727

Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:05 pm

Quoting corinthians (Reply 3):
I see you're an FA for AA. How do you like using the device?

I have only tested the device. It will provide for some great things from the FAs perspective , like, eventually eliminating the required paper manual.. I think AA is initially overreaching with what they THINK fa's will do and what fa's will ACTUALLY do with the device. AA envisions fa's going pax to pax providing updated connecting flight info, for example, when an inbound flt is delayed and a pax has misconnected. There are, however, many more functions with the device that will be useful. Its a learning curve, like with anything else.. When the OSRs were put on board when AA went cashless, it was horrible for fa's. Now, you wont find a single fa that would rather go back to cash transactions. AA is removing staffing from flights, initiating horrific work rules, tripling employee contros to medical, and eliminating all together many more benefits. Ok so yes, this is the "norm" according to a.net land before I get bashed for saying those things.. Im simply saying the timing is bad.. Now is not the time to ask fa's to do MORE while compensating for 17% less. They wanted their increased productivity in existing work rules, and they got that. We'll see how this works itself out. Fa's aren't so sure, But apparently AA has got it all figured out.

AA ORD

JoeCanuck

Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:19 pm

I have a note and once you get used to all that screen real estate, it would be tough sledding to go back to a mere 4" phone screen.

I recommend getting a gel type back cover for the unit since mine is very slippery and the extra traction on the edges is handy.
What the...?

N1120A

Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:28 am

This sounds like a fantastic idea. AA has WiFi on much of its domestic fleet and is going fleet wide in short order. These devices can hook up to the in-flight WiFi and perform countless functions. I'm thinking they may well use a credit card reader app to replace the current machines.

Quoting flyfree727 (Reply 1):

That's not what Corinthians was saying. You would put the phone in airplane mode and use the WiFi when you are outside the "critical phases."
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

oldeuropean

Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:53 am

Quoting JoeCanuck (Reply 10):
I have a note and once you get used to all that screen real estate, it would be tough sledding to go back to a mere 4" phone screen.

Me too. The Note is a great device and I don't understand all the others, using these little tiny smartphones.  
Wer nichts weiss muss alles glauben

vaus77w

Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:14 am

Quoting flyfree727 (Reply 9):
It will provide for some great things from the FAs perspective , like, eventually eliminating the required paper manual.. I

Sounds great, anything to reduce the excessive amount of printing and re-printing with updates etc that we tend to do is a win-win in my book.

Is American the first airline to offer tablets/smartphones to their flight attendants? i did a quick Google search and only found articles talking about AA.

JoeCanuck

Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:41 am

Quoting oldeuropean (Reply 12):

Maybe I'm overcompensating or some such psycho babble but at least in phones, bigger is better. When you have to turn your head to see all sides of the screen...then it's just about right.
What the...?

smi0006

Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:02 am

Quoting vaus77w (Reply 13):
Is American the first airline to offer tablets/smartphones to their flight attendants? i did a quick Google search and only found articles talking about AA.

To all flight attendants perhaps, however the following airlines off similar to their senior cabin crew:

- BA
- QF
- QR
- EK
- IB
And probably more!

infinit

Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:12 am

Avid Android user here  

Sounds like a good move but the next half is training the staff and seeing that its use is developed and broadened over time.

vaus77w

Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:28 pm

Quoting smi0006 (Reply 15):
To all flight attendants perhaps, however the following airlines off similar to their senior cabin crew:

- BA
- QF
- QR
- EK
- IB
And probably more!

OK, thanks for the info!

etops1

Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:03 pm

I think it's a great Idea but in the current state AA is in they should have waited until they are out of BK and are profitable again . That's a huge expense they are taking in giving all 17,000 FA 's this device . Granted one can argue that it's a huge cost savings because it will eliminate a lot of paper transaction . If I were a FA at AA though I woud be a litte upset that the company can come and cut their pay and benefits , Furlough all these employees , Gut the pilot contract , but yet hav the money to come up with over 17,000 galaxy note Pads for fa's and iPads for pilots . This dosent sound like a company who needs to be in bankruptcy to me . Clearly all AA management wants to do is screw the employees out of their hard eared wages and benefits . This is simply all my opinion . I thnk AA coud have waited a bit before taking on such a huge expense .

commavia

Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:14 pm

Quoting etops1 (Reply 18):
That's a huge expense they are taking in giving all 17,000 FA 's this device . Granted one can argue that it's a huge cost savings because it will eliminate a lot of paper transaction

I wonder just how "huge" this expense really was. My guess is that AA got a fairly sweet deal going to a single manufacturer and asking for 17,000 of something. Plus, I also guess that AA feels the weight savings in paper replacement, the efficiency savings from transmitting information more directly to flight attendants, and the theoretical improvement in the ability of flight attendants to deliver service basically pays for itself.

If I were a FA at AA though I woud be a litte upset that the company can come and cut their pay and benefits , Furlough all these employees , Gut the pilot contract , but yet hav the money to come up with over 17,000 galaxy note Pads for fa's and iPads for pilots .

I totally get why employees would feel that way - it's only logical/natural.

Nonetheless, this is essentially exactly what Delta and United have also done in recent years: substantially reduce labor costs, and use some of those savings to invest in capital assets (jets), products and services, and technology. AMR needs to be competitive, so they are now following that same path.

The only difference is that AMR is a few years behind the other two, and thus it is trying to shorten the process by doing both - the labor cost reductions and the investment with that freed up capital - at the same time, whereas Delta and United had a year or two in between.

AA767400

Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:26 pm

FAs apparently liked it over the iPad because the screen size was big enough for clear views, but small enough to store away easily.

I find that hard to believe. The company always says "based on FA feedback", but people wonder what FA would come up with such idea? I'd say most would prefer the iPad over some device most have not even heard of.

Quoting commavia (Reply 19):
My guess is that AA got a fairly sweet deal going to a single manufacturer and asking for 17,000 of something. Plus, I also guess that AA feels the weight savings in paper replacement, the efficiency savings from transmitting information more directly to flight attendants, and the theoretical improvement in the ability of flight attendants to deliver service basically pays for itself.

Exactly! AA got no feedback whatsoever, it was the best deal from said company.

I think it's a great idea, although an iPad would have been nicer. Saves on weight, paper, and space in FA luggage.
"The low fares airline."

silentbob

Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:25 pm

Quoting AA767400 (Reply 20):
I find that hard to believe. The company always says "based on FA feedback", but people wonder what FA would come up with such idea? I'd say most would prefer the iPad over some device most have not even heard of.

So they should pick the iPad because you never heard of the Galaxy Note?

milemaster

Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:40 pm

As somebody who works for a enterprise security company who specializes in mobile device management, I would hope these devices are locked down. Android's open architecture is a nightmare for any responsible enterprise.

lightsaber
Crew

Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:54 pm

Quoting JoeCanuck (Reply 10):

I was mocked 3 years ago when I said someone will figure out how to make a 7" tablet a cell phone. As they get lighter, I bet it will happen.

The limit is iPad size. I see people in restaurants taking pictures with them. Why not as a speakerphone? However, for putting into the F/A apron pocket, the Note is almost perfectly sized.

Note: I wear cargo pants often, so I take a 7" tablet and my cell phone. Sounds like time to combine...

Granted one can argue that it's a huge cost savings because it will eliminate a lot of paper transaction .

If it isn't a huge cost savings, ch 7 AA. This is a no brainer.

Quoting commavia (Reply 19):
My guess is that AA got a fairly sweet deal going to a single manufacturer and asking for 17,000 of something.

17,000 of something at the end of its production run too...
They were cheap.

Huh? Never even heard of? Seriously, do you know zero technical people? The Galaxy Note and high anticipated Note 2 has become a phenomenon among people who really use their cell phones for something more than angry birds. Since most cars now have bluetooth microphones (and use the stereo for output), who cares how big a phone is. I don't even put little phones to my ear much anymore.

I assume everyone knows how Android phones are dominating the global market. I personally want the new samsung camera redone as a phone as that is what I need (I have young kids and often need the optical zoom).

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

b727fa

Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:25 pm

If they're going to use them in a similar way that Delta is exploring (as an sales device on the a/c, cust service tool and paper manual replacement) it won't take long to recoup the cost. The M2's (the sales devices) at DL cost $1,200 each. With a ML fleet of 722 and having a minimum of 3 M2's on the a/c that's about 2166 M2's (not including spares) for a cost of 2.6M. The DCI fleet (dual-class) is about 589. That's a cost of $8k. $3.4M buys an awful lot of new hardware/software when it's covering what three things are doing now...not counting ongoing costs like paper, distribution, etc.
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

corinthians
Topic Author

Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:09 pm

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 23):
I was mocked 3 years ago when I said someone will figure out how to make a 7" tablet a cell phone. As they get lighter, I bet it will happen.

The limit is iPad size. I see people in restaurants taking pictures with them. Why not as a speakerphone? However, for putting into the F/A apron pocket, the Note is almost perfectly sized.

Note: I wear cargo pants often, so I take a 7" tablet and my cell phone. Sounds like time to combine...

Sort of exists. Asus came out with the Padfone last year. Didn't sell all that well. Padfone2 comes out next month and looks a lot better. Might consider it if it ever comes out in North America.

http://www.asus.com/Mobile/PadFone/

N1120A

Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:37 pm

Quoting milemaster (Reply 22):
Android's open architecture is a nightmare for any responsible enterprise.

The US government seems to think they can make it work.

I think it's a great idea, although an iPad would have been nicer. Saves on weight, paper, and space in FA luggage.

An iPad would be significantly larger, heavier and clunkier. The Note is the perfect size for this. Plus, AA has an existing relationship with Samsung.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Byrdluvs747

Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:28 am

Im so glad that AA chose Android over apple. It would be interesting to see if other airlines follow AA's lead.

AA might want to purchase a few extra styluses. 
but people wonder what FA would come up with such idea? I'd say most would prefer the iPad over some device most have not even heard of.

So the company should make operational decisions based on FA's lack of technological knowledge and apple brainwashing? The Note, with its stylus for precise input, is perfect for industrial/productivity applications like this. I can't imagine that a decision was made without conducting testing at AA's Flagship University. From the article it sounds like this project has been in the works since spring, and the Note proved to be the far better solution chosen by those who will be doing the work.

The ipad is a toy for watching videos or surfing the web. Even if tablets were being considered, I would still rather have the Samsung Note 10.1 with its excellent multitasking and multi window abilities.
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

airliner371

Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:06 am

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 27):
The ipad is a toy for watching videos or surfing the web.

They chose the Note over the iPad ONLY because the iPad was too big. They wanted something that could fit in pockets.

JoeCanuck

Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:45 am

I know a bunch of people with Notes, and while they all thought it might be too big, they quickly got used to it and nobody wants to go smaller again. I find it fits in a front pants pocket without any issues.

17,000 of something at the end of its production run too...
They were cheap.

The Note, with a 5.3" screen is at the end...the Note 2, with a 5.5" screen is what it sounds like they're getting. I'm happy with mine...I won't quibble over 0.2".
What the...?

Byrdluvs747

Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:08 am

Quoting airliner371 (Reply 28):
They chose the Note over the iPad ONLY because the iPad was too big. They wanted something that could fit in pockets.

That's too simplistic a view. If they were only concerned with fitting it in a pocket then why not choose the iphone 5? Applications on the note can designed with greater detail unlike menu-ridden apps with fat input controls needed on phones with a touch only input method.

An ipad would have been a mistake, the Note 10.1 is a better productivity platform.

[Edited 2012-09-21 21:18:50]

qqflyboy

Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:45 am

As a flight attendant at AA, and a diehard Apple fan (iMac, iBook, two iPads, iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S and now 5), I can't imagine carrying the iPad around the entire flight performing onboard sales and customer service tasks. It's simply too big. Now if Apple came out with the iPad mini, that'd be another story, but until then, I think the size of the Note is perfect.

Quoting milemaster (Reply 22):
Android's open architecture is a nightmare for any responsible enterprise.

The company keeps referring to a platform/architecture called SAFE, that appears to meet these security needs, and will also allow AA to control what can be downloaded to the device. I'm not nearly tech savvy to know what SAFE is and/or what it means, but no doubt you will.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 11):
I'm thinking they may well use a credit card reader app to replace the current machines.

AA has been looking at various devices for the past year or so to replace the current OSR (onboard sales recorder). At the same time they were creating an electronic inflight manual, and were fast coming to the conclusion they could combine those two functions in one device, along with a whole host of other functions. AA currently has four apps available to flight attendants, three of which are specifically for flight attendants (iOS and Android), and now we can expect many, many more to come.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

ha763

Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:34 am

No need too change the policy. All they have to do is issue it without a sim card, put it in Airplane mode, and turn on the wifi. It then becomes a mini tablet. I doubt AA is going to issue these Galaxy Notes with sim cards and pay for the service for 17,000 flight attendants.

Now the question is who are they getting the Notes from. I doubt they will be getting them straight from Samsung. The Notes are available for use on AT&T and T-mobile in the U.S. One is headquartered in Dallas and still selling the Note, while the other only had the Note on sale for a short time before pulling them when the Note 2 was going to be announced.

"Based on FA feedback" doesn't mean the flight attendants came up with the idea. In this case (and in most cases), it likely meant that management came up with an idea, got a couple of units of each option, presented the intended use, let the flight attendants use them, and then got their feedback.

I was mocked 3 years ago when I said someone will figure out how to make a 7" tablet a cell phone.

It was already made. The original Samsung Galaxy Tab, which is a 7 inch tablet, is able to make calls if you got an international version that had GSM connectivity. The ones sold in the U.S. had the dialer removed, but you could flash a rom that would install the dialer on a AT&T/T-mobile version Galaxy Tab.

Byrdluvs747

Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:49 am

Quoting qqflyboy (Reply 31):
I'm not nearly tech savvy to know what SAFE is and/or what it means

Here's an article that gives a good explanation.

Samsung Makes Android SAFE for IT

Quoting ha763 (Reply 32):
All they have to do is issue it without a sim card

Unless these devices will be customized where the sim slot is disabled, there is nothing preventing the FA's from purchasing their own sim card for voice/data.

I doubt they will be getting them straight from Samsung.

Why? We're not talking about heading down to you local AT&T store to pick up a few phones. This will be a significant IT project, and I would imagine that Samsung(maybe Google too) is providing some technical assistance. Since voice isn't a priority, why buy from AT&T(middleman) when the quantities discussed would qualify for a sizable discount from Samsung.

qqflyboy

Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:42 pm

I doubt AA is going to issue these Galaxy Notes with sim cards and pay for the service for 17,000 flight attendants.

AA says they will have a cellular connection, but just like the OSRs which have cellular connections, it's my guess the software will prevent calls from being made/received. The cellular connection is only intended for data while on the ground, from what I understand. And I hope that's the case... I can only imagine having a company provided cell number at which time scheduling could call and reassign/junior assign me 24/7/365. No thanks.

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 33):
Here's an article that gives a good explanation.

Samsung Makes Android SAFE for IT

Thanks for the link, I'll give it a look.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

AA767400

Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:19 pm

Quoting silentbob (Reply 21):
So they should pick the iPad because you never heard of the Galaxy Note?

No, you're misinterpreting what I'm saying.

Huh? Never even heard of? Seriously, do you know zero technical people? The Galaxy Note and high anticipated Note 2 has become a phenomenon among people who really use their cell phones for something more than angry birds. Since most cars now have bluetooth microphones (and use the stereo for output), who cares how big a phone is. I don't even put little phones to my ear much anymore.

Huh? What are you rambling about? Most don't know the difference between a 727, and an M80. And I stand by what I said. "Most" don't know about, or have heard of the note pad they're getting. And yes, most know what an ipad is. Doesn't mean that's what they need to get. Let's remember the majority of the public, including FAs aren't tech nerds.   

Quoting N1120A (Reply 26):
An iPad would be significantly larger, heavier and clunkier. The Note is the perfect size for this. Plus, AA has an existing relationship with Samsung.

Correct - That's why I stated:

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 27):
So the company should make operational decisions based on FA's lack of technological knowledge and apple brainwashing? The Note, with its stylus for precise input, is perfect for industrial/productivity applications like this. I can't imagine that a decision was made without conducting testing at AA's Flagship University. From the article it sounds like this project has been in the works since spring, and the Note proved to be the far better solution chosen by those who will be doing the work.

The ipad is a toy for watching videos or surfing the web. Even if tablets were being considered, I would still rather have the Samsung Note 10.1 with its excellent multitasking and multi window abilities.

Where are you getting your assumptions from? I said none of that, so quite slandering. AA got the best deal from Samsung to provide their FAs with notes. Regardless of whether they liked it or not.

"Based on FA feedback" doesn't mean the flight attendants came up with the idea. In this case (and in most cases), it likely meant that management came up with an idea, got a couple of units of each option, presented the intended use, let the flight attendants use them, and then got their feedback.

Hello - That's exactly what I said.

The company tries to pacify the masses by stating that it was based on FA feedback, when everyone knows they'll go with the best deal from said company. Money talks, and BS walks.

Boy, to say my post was taken out of context would be an understatement.
"The low fares airline."

Byrdluvs747

Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:06 pm

Slander?  
Quoting AA767400 (Reply 35):

No, even after flyfree727 mentioned personally testing them for AA, you stated that AA got no feeback at all....

...thus implying that AA simply bought them based on some low priced deal from Samsung without having FA's evaluate or consider their opinion of the units. At this point in the bankruptcy, AA isn't going to just spend upwards of 5 million without thorough testing. Period.

The company tries to pacify the masses by stating that it was based on FA feedback, when everyone knows they'll go with the best deal from said company. Money talks, and BS walks.

As everyone who seems to understand these types of IT purchases has already said, AA isn't going to go out and purchase 17k units based on price alone. Testing, by FA's like flyfree727 and others, occurred before any decision to purchase. Functionality talks, BS walks.

TWACaptain

Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:32 pm

Don't forget that AA is already using Samsung Galaxy 10.1s for inflight entertainment on some aircraft/flights, so there is already a history between the companies. With the diverse selection of Samsung equipment and screen sizes it allowed for a better customization for the F/As' needs while remaining with an existing supplier.

Currently these units will not be able to be on below 10K feet as they (and any other Android device) have not received the FAA and FCC blessings for use during critical phases of flight. Only the iPad has received the permission following extensive testing (including in decompression chambers, EFI labs, etc.) and under strict rules (all WiFi and cellular connections off at all times). AA will try to get the FA units approved for all flight phases however AA is going to have to pay for all the testing and approvals, which as we've seen was a tedious process with the iPad.
TWA-Gone, but not forgotten...

lightsaber
Crew

Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:27 am

Quoting JoeCanuck (Reply 29):
The Note, with a 5.3" screen is at the end...the Note 2, with a 5.5" screen is what it sounds like they're getting. I'm happy with mine...I won't quibble over 0.2".

Agreed. But AA bought the Note 1.  

Everyone I know with a Note 1 is very satisfied with their purchase. IMHO the Note 2 will sell multiples of the Note 1.

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

AA767400

Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:24 am

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 36):
...thus implying that AA simply bought them based on some low priced deal from Samsung without having FA's evaluate or consider their opinion of the units. At this point in the bankruptcy, AA isn't going to just spend upwards of 5 million without thorough testing. Period.

Oh they'll test it, doesn't mean it will be an ordinary FA who does the test. They'll gather a bunch of wannabe managers who are eager to please, and are more adapt to company testing and logistics. The majority of the work group could care less about the note pad, or whatever it's called. It's coming at the wrong time for morale.

For the record - I think it's a great idea. However, I'm over debating on what you think I said, and didn't say. There's no need to debate who knows better about a company's bankruptcy dealings.
"The low fares airline."

ckfred

Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:51 am

I think it's a great Idea but in the current state AA is in they should have waited until they are out of BK and are profitable again . That's a huge expense they are taking in giving all 17,000 FA 's this device . Granted one can argue that it's a huge cost savings because it will eliminate a lot of paper transaction . If I were a FA at AA though I woud be a litte upset that the company can come and cut their pay and benefits , Furlough all these employees , Gut the pilot contract , but yet hav the money to come up with over 17,000 galaxy note Pads for fa's and iPads for pilots . This dosent sound like a company who needs to be in bankruptcy to me . Clearly all AA management wants to do is screw the employees out of their hard eared wages and benefits . This is simply all my opinion . I thnk AA coud have waited a bit before taking on such a huge expense .

There was an article in the Chicago Tribune indicating that by issuing an iPad to every pilot, it eliminates the 35 pounds of aircraft manuals and maps that each pilot carries. That will save over $1million in fuel. It also means that pilots aren't lugging the equivalent of a small child from Ops to the gate onto the plane and back (and probably to the hotel or home from time to time).

And frankly, there are a lot of companies who have been stingy with pay increases and bonuses, but they regularly upgrade desktops, laptops, tablets, and smartphones for employees, because the hardware and software is updated constantly.

quiet1

Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:12 am

I wonder how extensively they tested it with the more senior F/As, the ones with less-than-laser-sharp eyesight? Won't it be a challenge to do their preflight safety check with a 5.3" screen to look at?

If they take meal orders on it, as mentioned in the video in the article, it may also be a challenge for a harried galley F/A to squint at a screen to quickly and efficiently plate orders -- especially for a larger C-class cabin. (Unless, of course, they transfer the orders to sheets of paper with the old-fashioned meal order seat maps...) Let's see: 12A wants the steak, but with sauce on the side, no starch and extra vegs ... should be a snap to get that on a glance at a 5.3" screen. Now with a non-greasy finger, let's carefully scroll the seat map to see what 14J wants next. Will there be wall mounts for easy hands-free viewing where the device will be out of the way?

I wonder if a lot of cubicle-sitters really take the time to visualize how it will function in the real world. I'm not saying it's a totally bad idea. The idea of updated passenger manifests instantly, filing catering reports while on board, etc can be nice improvements.

JoeCanuck

Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:56 am

Quoting quiet1 (Reply 41):

The Note is at least the size of the average notepad and you can write on it and use multiple pages just like a paper notepad. Since it comes with a stylus, no need to touch the screen with greasy fingers.

I hope they get a huge supply of extra stylii....or rig them to be worn around the neck. Otherwise, they'll lose a ton of these things.

Quoting qqflyboy (Reply 34):
AA says they will have a cellular connection, but just like the OSRs which have cellular connections, it's my guess the software will prevent calls from being made/received.

Airplane mode is a finger swipe away.
What the...?

mandala499

Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:56 am

Quoting JoeCanuck (Reply 42):
Airplane mode is a finger swipe away.

And if the aircraft is equipped with WiFi, the FAs are now armed with real time customer relationship management tools...
And other nice stuff for the company and passenger...
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

ha763

Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:25 pm

Quoting JoeCanuck (Reply 29):
The Note, with a 5.3" screen is at the end...the Note 2, with a 5.5" screen is what it sounds like they're getting.

The news release in the link mentions 5.3" screen, not 5.5".

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 33):
Why? We're not talking about heading down to you local AT&T store to pick up a few phones. This will be a significant IT project, and I would imagine that Samsung(maybe Google too) is providing some technical assistance. Since voice isn't a priority, why buy from AT&T(middleman) when the quantities discussed would qualify for a sizable discount from Samsung.

But, they can also make a deal with AT&T or T-mobile to take 17,000 soon to be replaced phones off their hands for cheap. They apparently will have to connect to a cellular network to transmit data, so why not drive down the road to AT&T's HQ in Dallas and make a deal? Also, T-mobile stupidly decided to start selling the Note in August, when everyone knew Samsung was going to announce the Note 2 soon. T-mobile then decided to basically stop selling the Note two weeks later and Samsung announced the Note 2 at the end of August.

What I said is not the same as what you said. You said

They asked a focus group of flight attendants to test various options over several months. How is that not getting flight attendant feedback? This is the same thing other companies do when they test new products, services, etc. Even movie and tv production companies do selected group screenings to see if changes are needed before releasing a film to theaters or aired on tv. In fact, some tv shows do not even make it out of these screenings.

BTW, AA went with Apple's ipads for their pilot's electronic flight bag, not a Samsung tablet, even though they use the Tab 10.1 for IFE.

TWACaptain

Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:23 pm

Quoting ha763 (Reply 44):
BTW, AA went with Apple's ipads for their pilot's electronic flight bag, not a Samsung tablet, even though they use the Tab 10.1 for IFE.

The reason AA (and everyone else) is going with Apple's iPad for the electronic flight bag is that the iPad is the only FAA approved tablet. No Android tablets are likely going to be approved anytime soon because the certification process is so long and cumbersome that the current Android units will have been eclipsed by newer technology and the process would need to start all over. Likewise there are so many flavors and modifications of the basic Android system that it would be nearly impossible to get a single version for the next few years. Although Apple has revamped the iPad twice the basic architecture, operating system and manufacturing has remained constant and hence the FAA approval.
TWA-Gone, but not forgotten...

JoeCanuck

Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:55 pm

Quoting mandala499 (Reply 43):

Good point...and it also gives the F/A's another means of communicating amongst themselves in more detail than the intercom, which being attached to the plane by wires, , (so 20th century), limits mobility. They no longer have to be by the intercom to communicate..without shouting.

Overall, interesting idea and a good product to try the experiment with.

I'm thinking they would also make good electronic flight bags. i don't think the screen is much smaller than the current paper approach plates...in a much more convenient package.
What the...?