tsra
Topic Author

Airport Name Changes

Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:19 pm

I am doing a report on airport name changes and need some help. I have spent countless hours doing Google searches but am not getting enough information, so I turn to you in Airliners.net land. What I am looking for are airports that have changed their name from a name sake to the city where the airport is located. An example would be the push to rename McCarren International to Las Vegas International. Thanks for your expertise.

PacNWjet

RE: Airport Name Changes

Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:32 pm

When United States Senator Henry "Scoop" Jackson died in 1983 Seattle-Tacoma International Airport was briefly changed to Henry M. Jackson International Airport to honor the late senator. While Jackson was a revered politician in the state of Washington, many people feared that removing the cities of Seattle and Tacoma from the name of the airport would jeopardize the ability of the airport to market itself as a convenient gateway to the two major metropolitan areas in northwestern Washington state. The name soon reverted to Seattle-Tacoma International Airport. Here is how the United States Navy website devoted to Senator Jackson's memory describes the course of events:

With his death in office, the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport was initially renamed Henry M. Jackson International Airport, but political resistance to the change led to this being reversed in favor of Seattle-Tacoma International Airport. It wasn't that the public didn't want to honor the late Senator, but rather leaders in both Seattle and Tacoma (Tacoma, in particular), fearing the loss of convention business, demanded that their cities name be included in the name of the airport. The airport lies between the two cities in the municipality of SeaTac.

Source: http://www.jackson.navy.mil/senator.html

Viscount724

Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:43 pm

BWI was originally known as Friendship International Airport (code then was BAL). It changed to Baltimore/Washington International Airport in 1973 (and code was changed to BWI) to make the area served more obvious. In 2005 it officially changed to Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport for the former Supreme Court justice, but with the focus still on the names of the cities.

FWAERJ

Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:56 pm

I can name three examples in my home state of Indiana: FWA, IND, and GYY.

FWA (Fort Wayne International Airport) was originally known as Baer Field after WWI military pilot Lt. Paul Baer. Interestingly, the Baer Field name transfered over from a smaller airport on the north side of Fort Wayne that is now known as Smith Field (IATA designator SMD) and is still in operation today. FWA's name was changed to Fort Wayne International Airport in 1991 to reflect a new customs facility for cargo. Despite the 1991 name change, many people here still call FWA by its original name of Baer Field. At the same time FWA was renamed, the terminal was renamed the Lt. Paul Baer Terminal to continue honoring Mr. Baer.

IND (Indianapolis International Airport) was originally known as Weir Cook Airport after another famous WWI military pilot. The name was changed to the current name around 1967. However, when the current terminal opened in 2008, it was named the Weir Cook Terminal, and the road that the IND terminal sits on is Weir Cook Boulevard. Although there was a push in Indy to change the name back to Weir Cook Airport prior to the terminal opening, IND's name remains Indianapolis International Airport.

GYY (Gary/Chicago Airport) was known as Gary Regional Airport until 1995. That year, the Chicago-Gary Airport Compact was signed between the cities of Chicago and Gary, which created the Chicago-Gary Airport Authority in response to the State of Illinois's (still-unrealized) plans for an airport in Peotone, which the City of Chicago opposed and continues to oppose. The compact also necessitated a name change to Gary/Chicago Airport.
"Did he really need the triple bypass? Or was it the miles?"

iFlyLOTs

Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:48 pm

Chicago Executive Airport changed its name from Palwaukee Municipal Airport. Its original name was taken from the two roads it was near, Palatine Road and Milwaukee Avenue. The reasoning behind it, I personally am not quite sure, but my guess is it was something to do with wanting to cater more to the Chicagoland area.
"...stay hungry, stay foolish" -Steve Jobs

tsra
Topic Author

Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:50 pm

Great examples and exactly what I was looking for! Keep them coming please.

dtw9

Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:55 pm

Wayne County Major became Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport

aussie747

Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:56 pm

just to name a further few. google searches may net a few further and expnad on why these were changed.. But yes informational is not as forthcoming as I thought it would.

JNB was changed from Jan Smuts International Airport to OR Tambo International on October 2006
LIT will change its name from Little Rock National (Adams Field) Airport to Bill & Hillary Clinton National Airport soon.
LPL - Liverpool Airport changed its name to Liverpool John Lennon Airport in 2001
BLR - Bangalore International Airport will change its name to Bengaluru Nadaprabhu Kempegowda International Airport, has just been approved this year
DAC - Dacca International Airport has changed it's name from Zia Interntional Airport to Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport in 2010

N766UA

Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:00 am

I believe SBN, now South Bend Regional Airport, used to be Michiana Regional. Not a huge leap, but Michiana is the little-known colloquial name for the region SBN is a part of.
This Website Censors Me

777fan

Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:06 am

ORD's IATA code was derived from its original name: Orchard Field. It was originally built as a Douglas manufacturing field during WWII and named after a nearby farming hamlet. It was subsequently converted to a civilian airport after the war (its remote location enabled it to accommodate jets that needed more space than MDW's "carrier deck"). It was named after Medal of Honor recipient Capt. Butch O'Hare in 1949 after a strong push by Robert McCormack (of Chicago Tribune fame).

AUS is another one of sorts, although it's really named after the former Air Force Base it was built upon/converted from after the first round of BRAC in the 90s. It's arguably one of the best BRAC conversion examples in the country (I'd also add GNAS to that list although its conversion was commercial/residential and did not involve aviation).

777fan
DC-8 61/63/71 DC-9-30/50 MD-80/82/83 DC-10-10/30 MD-11 717 721/2 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 741/2/4 752 762/3 777 A306/319/20/33 AT

B6JFKH81

Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:09 am

JFK went the opposite direction LOL. From Idlewild Field to New York International Airport to JFK.
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

JBAirwaysFan

Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:14 am

ATL: The William B. Hartsfield-Atlanta International Airport became Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport

PNS is now Pensacola International Airport.

VPS went from Okaloosa Regional Airport to Northwest Florida Regional Airport in 2008.
In Loving Memory of Casey Edward Falconer; May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

airliner371

Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:15 am

MKE has not but is looking at adding Chicago to their name to help get Chicago travelers.
Milwaukee/Chicago General Mitchell International Airport.

tymnbalewne

Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:35 am

BDA was originally Kindley Field, (named after a US Aviator with the 'reversed' name of Field Kindley!). The airport was a joint military (US)/civilian airport. When the US Military left, the name of the airport became Bermuda International. Now it's named "L. F. Wade International Airport", named for a local politician.
Dewmanair...begins with Dew

FWAERJ

Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:37 am

Quoting N766UA (Reply 8):

I believe SBN, now South Bend Regional Airport, used to be Michiana Regional. Not a huge leap, but Michiana is the little-known colloquial name for the region SBN is a part of.

For a while in the 1990s, SBN was actually called Michiana Regional Transportation Center... SBN didn't want to be seen as simply an airport. The reason for that name change was because SBN was the first true multimodal airport in the US. Some airports are linked to commuter rail (not light rail or subway) stations via bus, but SBN was the first airport in the US to have a commuter rail station next door to their terminal. SBN is home to the eastern terminus of the South Shore Line commuter trains to downtown Chicago and is also the local home for Greyhound and Coach USA (the latter operating to ORD and MDW) buses.

The name change didn't fly (pun intended), and within a few years, SBN was back to the name South Bend Regional Airport. Nevertheless, the South Shore trains and Coach USA/Greyhound buses are still there, but air service is getting top billing (most recently with F9 to DEN).

strandedinbgm

Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:41 am

BGM.

From Wiki:

The airport was originally named Broome County Airport and that name remained through the 1970s. It was later renamed to honor the inventor of the aircraft instrument simulator, the Link Trainer, as Edwin A. Link Field-Broome County Airport, a name it kept until the 1990s when it was again renamed to the Binghamton Regional Airport. The name Greater Binghamton Airport was chosen in 2003 to match the area's new marketing campaign under a unified name. The field on which the airport lies is still named in Link's honor.
It's 737s, 747s and 380s. Not 737's, 747's and 380's. Learn to use the apostrophe for crying out loud.

anonms

Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:41 am

TPE used to be Chiang Kai-Shek International Airport (named after the former president of the Republic of China) but, for political reasons (let's just say he was rather disliked by particular demographics in Taiwan for good reasons), was renamed to "Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport".
This is my signature.

AWACSooner

Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:45 am

Quoting aussie747 (Reply 7):
LIT will change its name from Little Rock National (Adams Field) Airport to Bill & Hillary Clinton National Airport soon.

REALLY?!?!?!? Nothing political, that name just sounds DUMB!

midex461

Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:46 am

Back in 1998, there was an attempt to rename PHX in honor of Sen. Barry Goldwater. Phoenix Goldwater International. Resistance led the city to compromise, a la DCA, with Goldwater Sky Harbor Int'l, before finally giving up. It was kind of redundant, as Terminal 4, the airports largest, is already named the Barry Goldwater Terminal.
Then there's the drama of AZA. Originally, it was Williams Gateway Airport as a holdover from the days when it was Williams AFB, but, to attract airlines, it was changed to Phoenix-Mesa Gateway. According to the authorities, it was also done to clear up confusion about where the airport is. There's a small town west of FLG called Williams, and they felt pax would think they were flying there as opposed to the PHX area.
Opinions and views expressed are MINE and do NOT represent the views of US Airways

lat41

Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:55 am

PVD was originally Hillsgrove, named after the mostly agrarian section of Warwick RI where it was built. Theodore Francis Green became Providence's official name in 1961 taken from the late senator.

FWAERJ

Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:58 am

Quoting AWACSooner (Reply 17):

REALLY?!?!?!? Nothing political, that name just sounds DUMB!

I suspect that along those lines, we should watch for DFW to be renamed "Dallas/Fort Worth George W. Bush International Airport". Which could easily be confused with IAH's name of "Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport" (though, to be fair, both did come from Texas).

No politics here, just predicting future names.

AWACSooner

Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:01 am

Quoting FWAERJ (Reply 20):
I suspect that along those lines, we should watch for DFW to be renamed "Dallas/Fort Worth George W. Bush International Airport". Which could easily be confused with IAH's name of "Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport" (though, to be fair, both did come from Texas).

I think you're on to something...although, by that logic, LBJ should've had an airport by now!

tharanga

Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:21 am

Quoting tsra (Thread starter):
What I am looking for are airports that have changed their name from a name sake to the city where the airport is located

So, to clarify - you are only looking for changes from an airport named after a person, to an airport named after the market it is serving?

mjgbtv

Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:24 am

MSY
MCO (partially)
DEN (both ways)

Just pick any airport whose code does not seem to have any relation to the location or current name and you are likely to find someone's name in the origin.

BreninTW

Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:37 am

JNB was changed from Jan Smuts International Airport to OR Tambo International on October 2006

It's actually more complicated than that ...

JNB went from Jan Smuts to Johannesburg International to O. R. Tambo.

I unfortunately don't know the years of the changes, but I distinctly remember flying into and out of "Johannesburg International" in the late 90s / early 2000s.

fxra

Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:37 am

Quoting tharanga (Reply 22):
So, to clarify - you are only looking for changes from an airport named after a person, to an airport named after the market it is serving?

I was wondering the same thing. Are you looking for changes like.. RFD changing from Greater Rockford Airport to Northwest Chicagoland Regional Airport at Rockford (in 2000) and then to Chicago/Rockford Int'l a few years later or just the renaming after the latest politician to die (ex IAH from Houston Intercontinental to George Bush Houston Intercontinental).

ALso, if you want to go back in time, there's tons of former military airports that now have been redeveloped for civilian use. Like SDF was Standiford FIeld before becoming the passenger airport for Louisville (services moved from LOU - Bowman field). Other examples would be MCO (Orlando Intl was McCoy AFB) and I believe BDL was military field before being turned to joint use. A good place to start with these are identifiers that seemingly have nothing to do with the city they serve (MCO for Orlando, MSY for New Orleans, ORD for O'hare CHicago, etc...). Usually they have some name change in their past.
Visualize Whirled Peas

deltaffindfw

Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:54 am

MSP used to be Wold-Chamberlain Field. Technically, today it is Minneapolis-St Paul/Wold-Chamberlain Intl Airport but no one seems to use it (except fly.faa.gov).

LoneStarMike

Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:35 am

Quoting 777fan (Reply 9):
AUS is another one of sorts, although it's really named after the former Air Force Base it was built upon/converted from after the first round of BRAC in the 90s.

True, and IIRC Austin's previous airport was simply called Robert Mueller Municipal Airport. (Austin wasn't part of the official name.) When Bergstrom was converted to civillian use, it retained the Bergstrom name, but at least Austin was added - Austin Bergstrom International Airport.

LoneStarMike

ERJ170

Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:40 am

Hmmm.. Here's one..

EWN (New Bern, NC) went the following way..

New Bern Airport --> Simmons-Knott New Bern Airport --> Craven County Regional Airport --> Coastal Carolina Regional Airport

That's a lot of changes!
Aiming High and going far..

71Zulu

Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:47 am

MSY

1946 - Moisant Field opens to commercial airline operations
1961 - name changed to New Orleans International Airport
2001 - name changed to Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport

so I guess it went round robin.

Original control tower (pic taken in 1949).
You can see the EAL hangar in the background, "Fly Eastern Air Lines"

http://i47.tinypic.com/rae2b8.jpg
Clickable links only please!

PlanesNTrains

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:03 am

I'm thankful that the Henry M Jackson title was short-lived in Seattle. Sometimes we rename things as some sort of feel-good exercise without thinking through how it sounds. Jackson International Airport? Uh, let's just stick with SeaTac.  

-Dave
-Dave

rampart

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:22 am

Quoting tsra (Thread starter):
I am doing a report on airport name changes and need some help. I have spent countless hours doing Google searches but am not getting enough information, so I turn to you in Airliners.net land.

I have to ask, if you are doing a report, don't you have to cite some authoritative references? "Nerds on Airliners.net" may be authoritative (at least in their own minds   ), but I'm not sure it would be acceptable citation source. Just saying. Depends on the intended reader of the report, I suppose.

So to be a little helpful, I suggest adding BUR: Bob Hope (formerly Hollywood-Burbank or Glendale-Pasadena-Burbank) Airport to your list.

-Rampart

RogerThat

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:55 am

BGW - Baghdad International was originally named Saddam International.

LoneStarMike

Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:05 am

Quoting rampart (Reply 31):
I have to ask, if you are doing a report, don't you have to cite some authoritative references? "Nerds on Airliners.net" may be authoritative (at least in their own minds ), but I'm not sure it would be acceptable citation source

But once he gets the answers here, he can then go back and google the individual airports and get his sources there.

So to be a little helpful, I suggest adding BUR: Bob Hope (formerly Hollywood-Burbank or Glendale-Pasadena-Burbank) Airport to your list

He said he is looking for airports that have changed their name from a name sake to the city where the airport is located. Your example is just the opposite - an airport that changed it's name from the city where the airport is located to a namesake.

(to be fair - some of the other responses to this thread made the same error.)

LoneStarMike

[Edited 2012-09-24 21:08:49]

BreninTW

Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:13 am

CPT was the HF Verwoed Airport, then became Cape Town International.

LoneStarMike

Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:37 am

Nashville International Airport is another one

Quote:
It was named Berry Field in honor of Colonel Harry S. Berry, State Administrator of the WPA. The three letter identifier, BNA, stands for Berry Field NAshville.

Source: History of Nashville International Airport

GEG (Spokane International Airport) is another one.

Quote:
Major Harold Geiger was a noted Army aviator and balloonist from times' past. His name is an ongoing, living legacy every time a GEG symbol is put on luggage or freight coming to Spokane, Washington, via the airways. Spokane International Airport was actually named Geiger Field until 1960, when the name was changed to its current nomenclature.

Source: Airport Codes: The Meaning Behind the Strange Three-Letter Ones

LoneStarMike

[Edited 2012-09-24 21:57:21]

JU068

Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:56 am

I think Athens could be mentioned here. Previous official name was Ellinikon International Airport and then when the new airport was opened in 2001 it became Athens International Airport known as "Elefthérios Venizélos".

kcrwflyer

Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:03 am

CRW - Kanawha Airport until 1985, then renamed to Yeager Airport in honor of Chuck Yeager.

rampart

Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:21 am

Quoting ju068 (Reply 36):
Previous official name was Ellinikon International Airport and then when the new airport was opened in 2001 it became Athens International Airport known as "Elefthérios Venizélos".

Ellinikon is named for the city in which it's located. Somewhat like Heathrow or Orly. That airport did not actually change its name, it simply decomissioned. Naming the new airport Ellenikon would have been inaccurate, since it was not located in the city of Ellinikon. According to Wikipedia (which admits up front to some lack of verification on that specific entry), the Ellinikon (Hellenikon) airport did have different names dating from WW II and shortly after. I don't translate Greek and not familiar with Greek names, but perhaps some of those earlier names were personal, and later changing to the place name. But no references given to be definitive.

-Rampart

thijs1984

Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:30 am

RTM / Rotterdam - The Hague Airport was renamed at least 2 times

It opened in 1955 as Luchthaven Zestienhoven
Was later (in the 90's) renamed to Rotterdam airport.
And recently re-named: Rotterdam - The Hague airport.

tayser

Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:45 am

for any Australian, or person who has knowledge of the subject:

SYD. How long has it been known as KSIA (Kingsford Smith International Airport)?

SYD, BNE and MEL are often referred to the suburb the respective airport is located within: Mascot, Eagle Farm and Tullamarine - but yes, how long has SYD been known as KSIA?

Tullamarine is fairly obvious.... pre-60s "Melbourne International Airport" was Essendon and the new airport site made sense to differentiate it with Essendon, but Mascot/KSIA has always been there...?

Also PER, I take it the "original" airport was Jandakot to the south?

and ADL - was the current airport site always there, or was it where Edinburgh RAAF is now - Salisbury/Elizabeth area?

thanks in advance.

migair54

Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:24 am

Zanzibar Airport in Tanzania recently change from Kisauni intl to Abeid Ameni Karume Intl, as usual for a politician.... something that i will never understand....

Bilbao Airport in Spain change from Sondika Airport to Loiu Airport, because the new terminal that opened in 2000 not in Sondika city but in Loiu.

There´re endless examples,

point2point

Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:01 pm

I'm not quite sure that this is exactly what you want, but I guess that I could throw this in there.

As we know, before 1995, Denver had Stapleton International Airport. I'm pretty sure that it was known as Denver-Stapleton Field. But with everyone in the Denver area, just saying Stapleton was enough to know that it's the airport.

Then the new airport was built, and it's name was now just a plain-jane - Denver International Airport. Stapleton is not to be found in the name of the new airport. And the main terminal is now Jeppesen Terminal. And in the area, now saying DIA is known to be referring to the airport, even though the official three letter code is DEN.

Again, I'm not quite sure if a replace airport suffices here, but...?

tsra
Topic Author

Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:21 pm

Quoting tharanga (Reply 22):
Quoting fxra (Reply 25):

My focus was on a change from a name to the city/region the airport serves. However, a change from an old airbase to the city served is perfectly fine too. Thank you again for all the post! Great post and keep them coming please!

tsra
Topic Author

Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:26 pm

I have to ask, if you are doing a report, don't you have to cite some authoritative references? "Nerds on Airliners.net" may be authoritative (at least in their own minds ), but I'm not sure it would be acceptable citation source. Just saying. Depends on the intended reader of the report, I suppose.

So to be a little helpful, I suggest adding BUR: Bob Hope (formerly Hollywood-Burbank or Glendale-Pasadena-Burbank) Airport to your list.

-Rampart

Haha. I was going to say "experts on Airliners.net"!

neutrino

Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:46 pm

The Philippines' Clark International Airport at the former Clark Air Base was renamed the tongue-twisting Diosdado Macapagal International Airport in 2003 by then-President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo in memory of her former-President father. Then in February this year, its' name was reverted back to Clark International Airport. From place name to person and back to place. Talk about coming full circle!

What of the Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport which was formerly known as Washington National Airport? Its previous name reflects both person (George Washington) and place (Washington DC). But being also referred to as Reagan National, it seemingly gives the impression of a person/place name to person name change.
Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis

milesrich

Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:20 pm

Quoting JBAirwaysFan (Reply 11):
ATL: The William B. Hartsfield-Atlanta International Airport became Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport

Actually, the Atlanta Municipal Airport was originally known as Candler Field after the Race Track originally built on the site by Coca Cola's Asa Candler. The airport was named after Atlanta Mayor William B. Hartsfield in about 1960. The name stuck, and then was changed for political correctness to Hartsfield Jackson when the Atlanta City Council voted to change the name less than 120 days after the death of Atlanta's first African American Mayor, Maynard Jackson. At the time, there were those who wanted to completely replace the name of Mayor Hartsfield, who was the mayor for many years when the airport was developed into one of the USA's busiest, but so called cooler heads prevailed.

Quoting FWAERJ (Reply 20):

I hope not. I thought changing the name of Washington National to Reagan was almost blasphemous. The same GOP congressman and senators behind this also wanted to replace FDR on the dime. I think naming things for people who are still living is usually improper. Reagan had nothing to do whatsoever with the development of Washington National, unless you consider his firing of all the FAA Air Traffic Controllers when they went out on strike.

The same can be said of Intercontinental in Houston. The old airport, William P. Hobby, was named after a Houston Mayor who was instrumental in the building and expansion of that airport. Then Intercontinental was built and replaced Hobby until Southwest Airlines came along in 1971. George H. W. Bush did live in Houston for a time, represented the area in Congress for a four years from 1967 to 1971, and retired there, but spent more time in Midland (where George W. spent his teenage years) when he came to Texas. Naming MAF after one of the Bushes or both of them would be more appropriate. Again, Bush 41 had nothing to do with the airport's development.

And changing the name of DFW to George W. Bush is ridiculous. W. had no connections to the DFW area personally, until he purchased a house in the primarily Jewish area of Preston Hollow after leaving the White House. I point this out as a Jewish person, because most people expected him to purchase a home in Highland Park, an area that was deed restricted to prevent Jews from buying property there until the 1965 Civil Rights Act. Prior to that, his only connection to the DFW area was that his wife, Laura, graduated from SMU, also located in Highland Park, where Bush built his library. (I don't think either of his alma mater's, Yale or Harvard, wanted it. I am an SMU graduate.)

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 30):
I'm thankful that the Henry M Jackson title was short-lived in Seattle. Sometimes we rename things as some sort of feel-good exercise without thinking through how it sounds. Jackson International Airport? Uh, let's just stick with SeaTac.

I agree. My distaste for renaming airports is not partisan. Scoop Jackson was a Democrat, but the airport, always known as SEA-TAC should stay that way. ORD will always be known as O'Hare. MDW should stay known as Midway, not the former Mayor Richard J. Daley, a Democrat, who it is now named after, even though it was Daley who refused to let Midway, which was fairly close to his Southside home located in the Bridgeport neighborhood from dying after the expansion of ORD which Daley also led, and the abandonment of Midway by all airlines, soon thereafter in 1962.

I remember there were many people opposed to the renaming of Idlewild after JFK's assassination in 1963, but as was pointed out, the official name was New York International Airport at Idlewild, although most New Yorkers referred to it as Idlewild. But JFK the man, was known by his initials, and they stuck to the airport, especially after the designator was changed from IDL, just as BWI has stuck to Baltimore, although Friendship was not an obscure name prior to.

I just don't think we should rename things. There are other ways to honor President Reagan, or both of the Presidents Bush. Little Rock might want to reconsider renaming their airport after the Clintons. The Presidential Library is located there but once the Clintons left for Washington 20 years ago, neither has returned to live. Perhaps, after their passing, it would be very nice memorial to them, but during their lifetimes? Fiorello La Guardia was dead for six years before New York Municipal Airport was named for him, even though its development was the works of the Mayor. Prior to the airport being built, commercial flights all landed at Newark. Then during his term in office, La Guardia was flying back home and purchased a ticket that read "New York". When the flight landed at EWR, he pointed out his ticket said, New York and demanded to be flown there, the only airport in NYC being Floyd Bennett Field. This event was used by LaGuardia to push for the construction of what is now LGA, so naming the airport after him made good sense, as he got it built.

PacNWjet

Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:55 pm

Quoting milesrich (Reply 46):
I remember there were many people opposed to the renaming of Idlewild after JFK's assassination in 1963, but as was pointed out, the official name was New York International Airport at Idlewild, although most New Yorkers referred to it as Idlewild.

Well, not exactly. The subject of the evolution of the name of Kennedy Airport in New York came up in another thread a couple of years ago:

Why Was Idlewild Chosen To Be Renamed After JFK? (by FlySSC Apr 28 2010 in Civil Aviation)

As it turns out, an article in the New York Times in December 1963 right after the airport was re-named for President Kennedy prominently highlighted the fact that the airport at Idlewild was already named after someone, i.e., Major General Alexander E. Anderson. The official name of the airport was New York International Airport-Anderson Field. The article has a sub-heading "Already a Memorial," the first paragraph of which reads "Actually, in changing the title of Idlewild Airport to Kennedy Airport, the city would be erasing a memorial to a little-remembered but once prominent veteran of two world wars, Maj. Gen. Alexander E. Anderson."

The "Idlewild" moniker apparently was unofficial. According to the New York Times, the area where the airport eventually was built once housed the Idlewild Hotel and Park. The name "Idlewild" is thought to have been inspired by the fact that the area originally had been wild (i.e., undeveloped) but was developed as a recreational area for the "idle" rich.

I discovered all this in an article that begins on page 1 of the December 5, 1963 issue of The New York Times which is continued on page 35 of the newspaper.

ckfred

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:16 pm

Quoting 777fan (Reply 9):
ORD's IATA code was derived from its original name: Orchard Field. It was originally built as a Douglas manufacturing field during WWII and named after a nearby farming hamlet. It was subsequently converted to a civilian airport after the war (its remote location enabled it to accommodate jets that needed more space than MDW's "carrier deck"). It was named after Medal of Honor recipient Capt. Butch O'Hare in 1949 after a strong push by Robert McCormack (of Chicago Tribune fame).

I think ORD was an airport before WWII. It was known as Orchard Field and Orchard Place Field. Then, the Douglas plant was built.

Just to make things even more confusing, when the City built the original terminal (which later became the first international terminal and later UA's Terminal 1), the airport was Chicago International Airport at O'Hare Field. When Terminals 2 and 3 were built, and Terminal 1 was remodeled to match the steel and glass look, then it became Chicago-O'Hare International Airport.

On the other hand, MDW started out as Chicago Municipal Airport. It was renamed Chicago-Midway Airport to commemorate the Battle of Midway Island.

In both cases, people often refer to the airports by one word, O'Hare and Midway. And many Chicagoans still refer to O'Hare as O'Hare Field.

Here's another one. TWF was originally known as Joslin Field. Then, it became Twin Falls City-County Airport. (Twin Falls is the county seat of Twin Falls County). Now, it's known as Magic Valley Regional Airport.

FlyPeoria

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:22 pm

PEORIA, ILLINOIS (PIA) has had several formal names in its 80-year history. It opened in December 1932 as "Peoria Municipal Airport." At first, the airfield was managed by the Peoria Park District. Then in 1950, the Greater Peoria Airport Authority was formed and a new name reflected this change.

The "Greater Peoria Airport" name stuck for nearly four decades when the GPAA inserted "Regional" in June 1989. The most recent change occurred on October 10, 2008 (coinciding with the new terminal groundbreaking) when it was renamed General Wayne A. Downing Peoria International Airport.

Peoria's claim to fame is its status as world HQ for Caterpillar Inc.

BLOOMINGTON-NORMAL, ILLINOIS. Nearby "Bloomington Municipal Airport" (BMI) opened in October 1934. Normal, Illinois grew rapidly and the area became known as the "Twin Cities" so the airport was renamed "Bloomington-Normal Airport." I'd guess this happened c. 1980 but am not sure. Finally, BMI was renamed "Central Illinois Regional Airport" in 1996.