LAXintl
Topic Author

Virgin America Announces JFK-PSP Nonstop

Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:31 pm

Effective December 22nd, VX will commence a winter seasonal JFK-PSP nonstop.

Flight is in addition to the daily seasonal SFO-PSP service which commences on October 18th.

Saturdays.
VX055 JFK-PSP 1055-1400 A320
VX056 PSP-JFK 1455-2245 A320

Press release:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/virgin...expands-flight-palm-160000841.html

=
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

jfk777

RE: Virgin America Announces JFK-PSP Nonstop

Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:38 pm

How long before Jat Blue or AA start a competing flight ? By Christmas.

enilria

Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:50 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Thread starter):
Flight is in addition to the daily seasonal SFO-PSP service which commences on October 18th.

You know, I thought the runway wasn't long enough...but I was wrong. This is an interesting idea. It's gonna be seasonal which makes it hard to try such off-the wall ideas because when you leave and return a year later you don't have much brand equity again making it easy for somebody else to jump in. I would hope that PSP is providing some serious funding for this.

It's also interesting because I'd been told that VX would ONLY be adding routes from LAX/SFO going forward. I wonder where they will get the slot for this? Are there free slots available at JFK in Winter?

jfklganyc

Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:54 pm

"I wonder where they will get the slot for this? Are there free slots available at JFK in Winter?"

Plenty of slots at JFK. Especially mid morning when this flight is leaving. AND historically, JFK is busier in the summer than the winter.

ontime

Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:08 pm

With a Saturday-only schedule from JFK, isn't it difficult to attract roundtrip travellers? Unless you are staying in Palm Springs exactly one week (Saturday to Saturday), it seems like it would be hard to get back to NY on Virgin. You'd either have to drive to LA or fly backwards to connect in SFO).

slcdeltarumd11

Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:09 pm

Is this the second flight that does not involve lax or sfo

LAXintl
Topic Author

Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:06 pm

Quoting Reply 4):
With a Saturday-only schedule from JFK, isn't it difficult to attract roundtrip travellers?

Not much different then Saturday only service to ski resorts, Caribbean or Mexico.

Airlines have been doing such 1x weekly flights for ages.

Anyhow VX also has a daily SFO-PSP which can be used to connect if needed.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

AAflyguy

Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:14 pm

And the fact that the daily PSP-SFO flight will continue on to JFK as a red-eye..makes it pretty easy, really. Congrats to PSP! Big things are happening there on the air service front.

DesertFlyer

Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:42 pm

PSP is different than normal Florida or other seasonal destinations. The people in the PSP area have a lot of money and are almost entirely from somewhere else. Many people taking AA PSP-DFW are connecting on the New York. Many of the people in the valley live there on weekends and work in New York. It's not like it's just people going on family vacations, it's a higher end market than that.

SANFan

Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:37 pm

Unbelievable. Seeing this, I'm speechless.

bb

AAflyguy

Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:39 pm

Quoting DesertFlyer (Reply 8):

And, there are tens of thousands of annual visitors who are there for meetings & conventions which is a bread & butter segment of the market for the resort hotels. They represent a huge chunk of the $$$ that flows into the local economy. Some high-value events are held there on a rotating, if not annual, basis.

n737aa

Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:47 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 2):
I wonder where they will get the slot for this? Are there free slots available at JFK in Winter?

Slots at JFK are for prime time operations 1500-2100 (I think).

I doubt it will work.....

N737AA

Bobloblaw

Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:54 pm

I wonder where they will get the slot for this? Are there free slots available at JFK in Winter?

The question is where do they get the slot and the aircraft time in JFK? Probably a day of week cancellation on LAX, LAS or SFO on a Saturday in the winter. Frees up aircraft time and if needed a slot.

HVNandrew

Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:55 pm

I would hope that PSP is providing some serious funding for this.

It's also interesting because I'd been told that VX would ONLY be adding routes from LAX/SFO going forward. I wonder where they will get the slot for this? Are there free slots available at JFK in Winter?

It's a seasonal, Saturday-only route. There's not much to fund.

The only time slots are an issue at JFK are at certain times of day where there is a significant spike in traffic - i.e. the time around the trans-Atlantic push.

I believe this is the first non-stop attempt at NYC-PSP by any carrier, correct?

LOWS

Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:06 pm

Quoting Reply 4):
With a Saturday-only schedule from JFK, isn't it difficult to attract roundtrip travellers? Unless you are staying in Palm Springs exactly one week (Saturday to Saturday), it seems like it would be hard to get back to NY on Virgin. You'd either have to drive to LA or fly backwards to connect in SFO).

Many leisure carriers do this kind of flying into SZG, especially in the winter. I'm sure it's totally normal in the US too.

Quoting SANFan (Reply 9):
Unbelievable. Seeing this, I'm speechless.

Care to elaborate?

AAflyguy

Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:39 pm

Also, Westjet flew PSP-YYZ nonstop last winter season, and very successfully, as I understand. I think this route by Virgin will work well, especially as it's being announced several months in advance and is starting as Sat only. Fairly low-risk.

KLAXAirport

Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:06 pm

Are the crews there the whole week or are they ferried back to JFK, LAX, or SFO somehow?

Cheers,
KLAXAirport   

spiritair97

Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:32 pm

Quoting KLAXAirport (Reply 16):

Don't forget that VX already flies. PSP-SFO daily. They probably fly to PSP ans then fly to SFO or deadhead to SFO.

laca773

Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:30 am

I think it's a very smart move on VXs part. I bet this flight does very well for them.

KLAXAirport

Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:37 am

Quoting spiritair97 (Reply 17):
Don't forget that VX already flies. PSP-SFO daily. They probably fly to PSP ans then fly to SFO or deadhead to SFO.

Sometimes... I just need to remember certain things...

kgaiflyer

Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:51 am

Works for me.

This puts me one step closer to buying a PSP condo and retiring.  

gaystudpilot

Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:04 am

This is great news!

Will VX introduce a new pink livery and name the aircraft Cosmo Express?

wjcandee

Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:19 am

You know, I thought the runway wasn't long enough

At PSP? It was an Army Air Corps base and has a 10,000-foot runway. Scheduled-service DC10s used to land there. President Ford lived in the area for years and when he died they picked his body up with a VC-25 (i.e. 747-200). PSP has the ability really to handle everything. And I just love the indoor/outdoor quality of the terminal. One of my favorite airports.

OB1504

Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:23 am

Quoting LOWS (Reply 14):
Care to elaborate?

Probably because VX chose to launch a route that wasn't to/from SAN...

san747

Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:00 am

Unexpected news, but great news as this gives me another nonrev option to go to NY to see family. A nice option for my mom who lives much closer to PSP than LAX or SAN for her to go out east as well.
Scotty doesn't know...

WA707atMSP

Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:32 pm

Quoting HVNandrew (Reply 13):
I believe this is the first non-stop attempt at NYC-PSP by any carrier, correct?

I think CO tried EWR-PSP in the late 1980s, but the route did not last.

Quoting wjcandee (Reply 22):
You know, I thought the runway wasn't long enough

At PSP? It was an Army Air Corps base and has a 10,000-foot runway. Scheduled-service DC10s used to land there. President Ford lived in the area for years and when he died they picked his body up with a VC-25 (i.e. 747-200). PSP has the ability really to handle everything.

This flight is seasonal, and runway length shouldn't be a problem for the months it's operating. It might be a problem in the summer (when the flight doesn't operate) because summer temperatures in PSP routinely reach 115 to 120 degrees. At one time, PSP was considering extending the runway 2,000 feet to the northwest, to make year round non-weight restricted nonstops to the East Coast possible. I don't know if those plans are still under consideration.

Quoting wjcandee (Reply 22):
I just love the indoor/outdoor quality of the terminal. One of my favorite airports.

I've been flying into PSP for almost forty years (the first airplane flight I can remember was on an AA DC-10 in 1974, PSP-PHX-ORD-DTW, when I was six years old), and I agree 100%. I think it's the prettiest airport in the country.

There is nothing nicer than arriving into PSP from the east in the wintertime, exiting the "indoor" part of the terminal, feeling the warmth of the desert, and knowing you've left the cold behind for a few days. On the way home, I always try to stay in the "outdoor" part of the terminal as long as I can, to enjoy the view of Mount San Jacinto, and the desert air, for a few more minutes.
Seaholm Maples are #1!

WALmsp

Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:20 pm

Quoting WA707atMSP (Reply 25):
There is nothing nicer than arriving into PSP from the east in the wintertime, exiting the "indoor" part of the terminal, feeling the warmth of the desert, and knowing you've left the cold behind for a few days. On the way home, I always try to stay in the "outdoor" part of the terminal as long as I can, to enjoy the view of Mount San Jacinto, and the desert air, for a few more minutes.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Nate Portinga

Be to check out the World War II Air Museum located on the east side of the airport!
In memory of my Dad, Robert "Bob" Fenrich, WAL 1964-1979, MSP ONT LAX

AAflyguy

Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:08 pm

Runway 13R/31L was extended from 8,500ft to 10,000ft in the late 90's, I believe. I was there when it happened, and was right around the time when the Sonny Bono Concourse was completed. As for the temps, that's only a potential problem in the mid-to-late afternoon or so in the May-Aug period. And, even then it's more dependent upon aircraft operating limitations and takeoff weight. It's not much different than PHX or LAS in terms of temps, and a 10K foot runway can handle most aircraft year-round. I agree with the comments about the terminal facility there..it really is beautiful and rather unique. So comfortable & relaxing with its indoor/outdoor design..it's like the anti-airport for the Lower 48. I think this flight will do extremely well and that there won't be many open seats for non-rev travel.

WA707atMSP

Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:58 pm

Quoting AAflyguy (Reply 27):
Runway 13R/31L was extended from 8,500ft to 10,000ft in the late 90's, I believe.

OK, thanks for the update. I remember reading about the extension being considered, but never heard whether or not it had been completed.

Quoting AAflyguy (Reply 27):
I think this flight will do extremely well and that there won't be many open seats for non-rev travel.

I agree. I've been flying out to the Coachella Valley long enough that I remember when Palm Desert really was nothing but Palm trees and desert - no glitzy resorts, and almost no buildings in the city between California 111 and Interstate 10. I'm not sure whether I'm hopeful more people from the east coast will discover what a great place the Coachella Valley is, or worried the flights will cause the area to become even more crowded.
Seaholm Maples are #1!