santos
Topic Author

Swiss To (re)Start Zurich-Singapore

Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:35 am

Swiss International Air Lines (SWISS) will be adding Singapore to its route network in May of next year. The new long-haul destination, one of Asia’s prime business hubs, will receive daily non-stop service from Zurich using Airbus A340 equipment.

SWISS will be further expanding its range of air services to and from Asia next spring. The carrier will introduce daily non-stop flights between Zurich and Singapore on 12 May 2013.

Schedule:
Zurich - Singapore LX 178 22:45 - 17:10 (the following day)
Singapore - Zurich LX 179 23:05 - 06:10 (the following day)

Great news for LX, will it go head to head with SQ or they will both have a codeshare on the route?
https://www.swiss.com/web/EN/about_swiss/media/press_releases/Pages/pr_20120926.aspx

[Edited 2012-09-26 01:08:10]

AntonovA330

RE: Swiss To Start Zurich-Singapore

Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:53 am

It's maybe more a re-start as they served SIN until spring 2009. Still, great news!
Remember, SQ and LX have quite different departure times - the former departs around midday, the latter in the evening.
Good day to you sir! Please turn left, your seat is in the first row.

Asiaflyer

RE: Swiss To (re)Start Zurich-Singapore

Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:19 am

Quoting AntonovA330 (Reply 1):
It's maybe more a re-start as they served SIN until spring 2009. Still, great news!

At that time it was as a one-stop service via BKK.
I am not a big fan of SQs morning/midday departures from Europe, like ZRH, CPH, CDG etc, so this is a nice and alternative. If they just can codeshare with SQ, it gives much better opportunity to mix the carriers.
Anyhow, great news.!!
SQ,MI,MH,CX,KA,CA,CZ,MU,KE,OZ,QF,NZ,FD,JQ,3K,5J,IT,AI,IC,QR,SK,LF,KL,AF,LH,LX,OS,SR,BA,SN,FR,WF,1I,5T,VZ,VX,AC,NW,UA,US,

huaiwei

Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:43 am

Great that it's a daily route, which is much more competitive than the 6-weekly one-stop service which was destined for failure.

They seem to be trying to replicate AY's decision to also relaunch SIN as a non-stop flight rather than to route it via BKK?
It's huaiwei...not huawei. I have nothing to do with the PRC! :)

LH422

Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:44 am

This was posted shortly before your post:

Swiss To Singapore As Of May 2013 (by First Class Sep 26 2012 in Civil Aviation)

ManekS

Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:34 am

Fantastic news and long overdue. I can't wait to fly this route after years of hoping SWISS would relaunch Singapore.

EBGflyer

Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:40 am

Quoting Asiaflyer (Reply 2):
I am not a big fan of SQs morning/midday departures from Europe, like ZRH, CPH, CDG etc, so this is a nice and alternative. If they just can codeshare with SQ, it gives much better opportunity to mix the carriers.

Exactly. I prefer the late departures from Europe going East, which means you will arrive 2-3 pm'ish in Asia without having to stay awake the whole day. Unfortunately not only SQ but also TG and many of the Middle Eastern Carriers leave in the morning or mid day.

More evening flights please!!
Future flights: CPH-BKK-MNL; MNL-GUM-TKK-PNI-KSA-KWA-MAJ-HNL-LAX

9MMPD

Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:52 am

Great news!

I wonder which Terminal they will use at Changi? 2 with LH, 3 with SQ or their old one at 1

SASDC8

Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:07 am

Excellent news by LX! Let's just hope the will code share with SQ, so that one can fly LX to SIN and SQ to ZRH  
Quoting EBGflyer (Reply 6):
Exactly. I prefer the late departures from Europe going East, which means you will arrive 2-3 pm'ish in Asia without having to stay awake the whole day. Unfortunately not only SQ but also TG and many of the Middle Eastern Carriers leave in the morning or mid day.

Exactly! That's why I'll miss SK's BKK route so much!
2-3-2 is NOT a premium configuration

jfk777

Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:10 am

Not surprising given that Singapore Air flies its A380 to Zurich.

mdavies06

Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:25 pm

So where does this leaves SQ? Will they be able to sustain their daily A380 service? It will be a shame if they down gauge the service.

PhilInBRN

Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:55 pm

Quoting mdavies06 (Reply 10):
So where does this leaves SQ? Will they be able to sustain their daily A380 service? It will be a shame if they down gauge the service.

Keep in mind that until SQ introduced the A380 to ZRH it operated twice a day 77W flights. In terms of overall seat capacity the change to the big ship was however a downgrade reducing the capacity from 556 by around 148 to the now used business variant of the A380 at 408 seats.

Furthermore late night departures from Europe towards the Far East seem to be quite popular with many travelers. I'm quite confident that given its vast European network LX will be able to attract enough customers to fill this flight in all three classes.

Viscount724

Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:36 pm

ZRH-SIN-ZRH daily requires more than one aircraft. What route(s) are they dropping to make the aircraft available for SIN?

changyou

Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:39 am

Quoting mdavies06 (Reply 10):

Its hardly any threat by LX...SQ have the OZ connection to ZRH. Infact very high chance it will be a code share flt.

nyswiss

Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:04 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 12):
ZRH-SIN-ZRH daily requires more than one aircraft. What route(s) are they dropping to make the aircraft available for SIN?

I think they get a new A330 which will replace part of the A 340 capacity to EWR and PEK and use that aircraft for SIN as far as I have heard, they might also use the capacity of the seasonal flight to MIA, so they wouldn't have to drop any routes

nethkt

Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:39 am

Closing BKK maybe the other option?
So many rumours about one of the LH group airlines will stop BKK, either LH, OS or LX.
So this might be it!!
Let's just blame it on yields.

PhilInBRN

Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:33 am

Quoting nyswiss (Reply 14):
I think they get a new A330 which will replace part of the A 340 capacity to EWR and PEK and use that aircraft for SIN as far as I have heard, they might also use the capacity of the seasonal flight to MIA, so they wouldn't have to drop any routes

I heard that the PEK flight might get switched to A333 completely. It will also likely get new time slots.

As far as shifting capacity from the seasonal MIA I'm not so sure. Could be that LX brings back the seasonal second flight to ORD with this aircraft. Let's not forget that LX is to receive another two A333 until next summer, HB-JHM and HB-JHN.

Quoting nethkt (Reply 15):
So many rumours about one of the LH group airlines will stop BKK, either LH, OS or LX.
So this might be it!!

Hard to imagine that given the large amount of traffic on the ZRH-BKK route.

mdavies06

Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:31 am

I'd tell LX that if (and only if) they are not making money on BKK then they should switch it to seasonal winter service or drop it. They can codeshare with TG anyway and SIN should be a stronger station for LX than BKK due to the premium traffic of the former.

sandrozrh

Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:31 am

Can't wait to go to SIN  

None. We're getting two new A333s next year with one being operated by WK on our behalf on the JFK route.

Quoting nyswiss (Reply 14):

Right. By jiggling around aircraft deployments, they will be able to free up two A340s for the SIN route easily. In fact, there will be one A330 available to open up a new US east-coast or middle east route. The rumour mill is running at full capacity within the company, but I'm not going to start speculating until we'll be hearing something official. EWR is to stay on the A340 from what I heard. It's needed for crew-training.

Quoting PhilInBRN (Reply 16):

I heard that the PEK flight might get switched to A333 completely. It will also likely get new time slots.

That's the plan and has been ever since it was launched, but the Chinese still don't want to give us the slots that we desire, unfortunately. I hope it's a matter of when than if though.

Quoting nethkt (Reply 15):
So this might be it!!

BKK is staying. It's doing well as far as I know.

Quoting changyou (Reply 13):
Its hardly any threat by LX

See, this snobby attitude has been coming from SQ for years. Let's see how this is going to play out.

Sydscott

Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:06 am

Quoting EBGflyer (Reply 6):

Don't forget they're feeding hubs in Asia and the Middle East in reverse to the European Carriers. So it makes sense for them to turn the plane around after they arrive early morning and fly them straight back for a morning arrival into Asia. For business people and onward connections that's the ideal time rather than arriving in the late afternoon. That way the carriers get maximum usage out of their aircraft which would otherwise sit around and do nothing all day in Europe.

huaiwei

Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:32 pm

Quoting SandroZRH (Reply 18):
See, this snobby attitude has been coming from SQ for years. Let's see how this is going to play out.

I am not sure how an a.netter's comment is supposed to represent an airline's attitude, but even if true, it is not difficult to see why it is said. As someone else mentioned, SQ actually downgraded capacity on the SIN-ZRH route after Swiss left, and the two airlines have long cooperated and remained as codeshare partners after Swiss left SIN. The timing of the new Swiss flights actually show likely cooperation rather than direct competition.

Anyway, the two airlines are likely to work together even closer again, as Swiss aims to codeshare into Australia, most likely via SQ's flights.

http://www.travelweekly.com.au/trave...ews/codeshares-next-as-swiss-grows

[Edited 2012-09-28 06:32:59]
It's huaiwei...not huawei. I have nothing to do with the PRC! :)

SR4ever

Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:13 pm

Quoting PhilInBRN (Reply 16):

Quoting nethkt (Reply 15):Closing BKK maybe the other option?
So this might be it!!

Hard to imagine that given the large amount of traffic on the ZRH-BKK route.

Agreed, and yields seem to be somehow higher than on AF, LH, or SK.

HAJFlyer

Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:14 pm

This announcement needs to be seen in the light of the recent LH decision to stop serving MUC-SIN. The ZRH-SIN route on LX makes more sense for the LH group as both cities are important financial centers and therefore generate plenty of premium traffic.

Viscount724

Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:50 pm

Quoting SandroZRH (Reply 18):

None. We're getting two new A333s next year with one being operated by WK on our behalf on the JFK route.

Do WK and LX have separate operating certificates? If they do, are there any problems when WK crews fly an LX aircraft, assuming the two new A333s are both LX aircraft?

nethkt

Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:10 am

People talk so much about yield.
I'd never believe it unless they could prove me with the non-manipulated figures.
Let's just blame it on yields.

ManekS

Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:31 am

Quoting SR4ever (Reply 21):

I doubt LH would cut BKK, despite being a poor performer.
That leaves OS. I wonder how VIE-BKK is holding up.

SR4ever

Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:25 am

Quoting ManekS (Reply 25):
I doubt LH would cut BKK, despite being a poor performer.

Cutting BKK would be extreme I agree, but don't forget that TG substitution of its 744 with 388 will bring further capacity on the market.

A downgauge from 744 to 343 (when flight terminates at BKK) and 346 (when flight extends from BKK to SGN) would be more realistic and sensible. 748 only reasonable at peaks, not all year-round.

Quoting ManekS (Reply 25):
That leaves OS. I wonder how VIE-BKK is holding up.

OS has already quite much scaled down its Asian network, with route closures and downgauges in 2007/2008 (BKK was downgauged from 343/77E to 763), meaning that there aren't too many opportunities left, but full line closures, or à-la-AF downgrades. As a Star hub, BKK needs to be reasonably connected with other main Star hubs in Europe...