bavair
Topic Author

Jet Airways To Start BLR-MUC

Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:29 am

Hi,

Rumors regarding 9W and Munich have been around for a long time. Although I don't think they will ever build a hub there as rumored, it looks like they're starting their first flight to MUC this Winter.

According to MUC airports website, 9W 152/153 will be connecting MUC and BLR daily. The interesting thing is that these flights are scheduled to depart and arrive at Terminal 2 which is exclusive to Lufthansa, Star Alliance and Lufthansa partner airlines. The flight is also timed for connections with LH's North America departures and arrivals. I'm guessing that at the very least this means that we will be seeing code sharing between LH and 9W, but its also a step towards Star.

Link: Seasonal Flight Plan MUC

Nimish

RE: Jet Airways To Start BLR-MUC

Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:41 am

Well - let's see if something actually happens. But if this is true, it probably points to the following:

* 9W joining *A
* 9W/LH code sharing (at least) on all flights to-from India, and 9W code sharing on further connections from MUC
* 9W dropping BRU entirely - moving BOM/DEL to MUC as well - and probably starting other Indian cities to MUC
* Hopefully a deeper relationship with LH - some type of JV ideally.
* Hopefully OS/ LX also join the party

From what I could make out, the flight is due to start 14-March-2013.
Latest Trip Report - GoAir BLR-BOM-BLR

behramjee

Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:08 pm

whats the exact schedule of 9W 152/153 please...thanks

BLRAviation

Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:28 pm

Thanks for the info.

Quoting bavair (Thread starter):
The flight is also timed for connections with LH's North America departures and arrivals.

Actually most of LH MUC North American departures are in the afternoon and the return too arrives towards the afternoon. I am guessing this timing will allow Jet to capture Europe bound traffic.

Bangalore is a major hub for German companies. Bosch, which is HQed at Stuttgart, being the largest. Other European companies also have offices in Bangalore, and Munich, IMHO, is a better transit hub in terms of smaller size, shorter distances, etc. when compared to FRA.
I am on Twitter @BLRAviation

BLRAviation

Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:29 pm

Quoting behramjee (Reply 2):
whats the exact schedule of 9W 152/153 please...thanks

9W154 departs Bangalore 04:05 arrives Munich 08:35
9W153 departs Munich 12:00 arrives Bangalore 02:40 the next morning
Full details are on my site.  

blrsea

Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:27 pm

Quoting BLRAviation (Reply 3):
Actually most of LH MUC North American departures are in the afternoon and the return too arrives towards the afternoon. I am guessing this timing will allow Jet to capture Europe bound traffic.

I think LH is playing very smart with 9W. If the 9W flight was timed to match the NA arrival/departure bank at MUC, it would have eaten into LH's BLR-FRA-NA share. So looks like they have prevailed upon 9W to time their flights to MUC at a different time??

I don't think this will work out well for 9W unless it times to the NA flights.

BLRAviation

Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:31 pm

Quoting blrsea (Reply 5):
I think LH is playing very smart with 9W. If the 9W flight was timed to match the NA arrival/departure bank at MUC, it would have eaten into LH's BLR-FRA-NA share. So looks like they have prevailed upon 9W to time their flights to MUC at a different time??

I concluded the same thing in my article. Unfortunately, A.net rules do not allow me to post content here, so I only invite you to visit. I am awaiting some more information then will try to do an analysis.

LAXDESI

Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:40 pm

I don't understand why 9W is not considering Skyteam offer of JV. The BLR-MUC flight timing suggest that LH is unlikely to offer a JV to 9W.

bavair
Topic Author

Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:42 pm

As I said before, these departure times do tie in with LH NA flights. The thing is that LH has 2 main banks for North America in Munich. This flight would fall into the earlier one, which works for the flights to CLT, ORD, JFK, PHL and IAD as well as the UA flight to EWR and AC to YYZ. This makes the flight mostly viable for US East coast as well as all European feeder flights which is quite a good positioning.

LAXDESI

Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:52 pm

Quoting bavair (Reply 8):
As I said before, these departure times do tie in with LH NA flights. The thing is that LH has 2 main banks for North America in Munich. This flight would fall into the earlier one, which works for the flights to CLT, ORD, JFK, PHL and IAD as well as the UA flight to EWR and AC to YYZ. This makes the flight mostly viable for US East coast as well as all European feeder flights which is quite a good positioning.

Thanks for sharing. Timing makes more sense now.

I wonder if 9W will offer its own bank from MUC to SFO/LAX? Will LH be supportive?

bavair
Topic Author

Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:38 am

Quoting LAXDESI (Reply 9):

Thanks for sharing. Timing makes more sense now.

I wonder if 9W will offer its own bank from MUC to SFO/LAX? Will LH be supportive?

I doubt LH would allow this. However, a second flight or bigger equipment to one of the westcoast destinations is long overdue. At certain times of the year its almost impossible to get a ticket short term.
With the feed from 9W an additional flight from either LH or 9W shouldn't be too hard to fill without having a too large drop in yield.

bavair
Topic Author

Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:46 am

Jet Airways and Lufthansa announce frequent flyer partnership
I guess this was to be expected from the start. Great news for both airlines tho!

Nimish

Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:00 am

Quoting bavair (Reply 11):
I guess this was to be expected from the start. Great news for both airlines tho!

This goes back almost a decade - announced "03 May 2006"!

bavair
Topic Author

Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:53 pm

Quoting Nimish (Reply 12):
Quoting bavair (Reply 11):

This goes back almost a decade - announced "03 May 2006"!

You're right, sorry. I saw the link in another forum and copied it without paying attention to the date.

Nimish

Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:53 am

An update - I hear (unsubstantiated rumor) that LH/9W's cooperation is not yet firmed up for the BLR-MUC sector, and that LH expects to treat this as "competition" for the moment. However from what I could make out, 9W's currently firm on launching this routing in the S13 schedule.