BW424
Topic Author

50 Years As Nations - Caribbean Aviation 102

Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:18 am

Greetings to all A.net patrons!

Welcome to the 102nd instalment of Caribbean Aviation!! It's awesome to see the explosive intellectual activity on our forum and it is certainly hoped that it will continue. This thread is dedicated to the both Trinidad and Tobago and Jamaica, as they both recently celebrated their golden jubilee of independence in the month of August.

Happy 50th Independence to both Trinidad and Tobago and Jamaica!!!!

Trinidad and Tobago gained its independence from the United Kingdom in 1962. Eric Williams, a noted Caribbean historian, widely regarded as "The Father of The Nation," was the first Prime Minister; he served from 1956, before independence, until his death in 1981.

In 1976, the country severed its links with the British monarchy and became a republic within the Commonwealth, though it retained the British Privy Council as its final Court of Appeal. Unlike most of the English-speaking Caribbean, Trinidad and Tobago's economy is primarily industrial, with an emphasis on petroleum and petrochemicals.Between the years 1972 and 1983, the Republic profited greatly from the rising price of oil, as the oil-rich country increased its living standards greatly.

Since 2003, the country has entered a second oil boom, a driving force which the government hopes to use to turn the country's main export back to sugar and agriculture. Tourism and the public service are the mainstay of the economy of Tobago, though authorities have begun to diversify the island. Trinidad and Tobago has since transitioned from an oil-based economy to a natural gas based economy.

Trinidad is one of the wealthiest and most developed nations in the Caribbean and is listed in the top 40 (2010 information) of the 70 High Income countries in the world. It has one of the highest GDP per capita of USD $20,300 (2011) in the Caribbean. In November 2011, the OECD removed Trinidad and Tobago from its list of Developing Countries. Trinidad's economy is strongly influenced by the petroleum industry. Tourism and manufacturing are also important to the local economy. Tourism is a growing sector, although not proportionately as important as in many other Caribbean islands

Trinidad and Tobago is known for its Carnival and is the birthplace of steelpan, calypso, soca, chutney and limbo.

Jamaica, officially Commonwealth of Jamaica, is the 4th largest island nation of the Greater Antilles. With 2.8 million people, it is the third most populous Anglophone country in the Americas, after the United States and Canada. Kingston is the country's largest city, with a population of 937,700, and is its capital. Jamaica has a large diaspora around the world consisting of Jamaican citizens migrating from the country.

Jamaica is a Commonwealth realm with Elizabeth II as Queen of Jamaica and head of state. Her appointed representative in the country is the Governor-General of Jamaica, currently Sir Patrick Allen. The head of government and Prime Minister of Jamaica is currently Portia Simpson-Miller. Jamaica slowly gained increasing independence from the United Kingdom and in 1958, it became a province in the Federation of the West Indies, a federation among the British West Indies. Jamaica attained full independence by leaving the federation in 1962.

Though a small nation, Jamaican culture has a strong global presence. The musical genres reggae, ska, mento, rocksteady, dub, and, more recently, dancehall and ragga all originated in the island's vibrant, popular urban recording industry. Jamaica also played an important role in the development of punk rock, through reggae and ska. Reggae has also influenced American rap music, as they both share their roots as rhythmic, African styles of music. Some rappers, such as The Notorious B.I.G. and Heavy D, are of Jamaican descent. Internationally known reggae musician Bob Marley is the most legendary and globally renowned Jamaican artist produced to date.

Sport is an integral part of national life in Jamaica and the island's athletes tend to perform to a standard well above what might ordinarily be expected of such a small country. While the most popular local sport is cricket, on the international stage Jamaicans have tended to do particularly well at Track and Field.

********News Feed********
CAL B738 experiences bird strike at GEO operating BW 525; no injuries, damage to a/c radome
WS to start daily POS-YYZ service Nov.16th using B73G
AA to increase its lucrative SKB-MIA from daily to 9x weekly in November
CAL recieves to ex LAN PW-powered B763Ws from ILFC; registered 9Y-LGW and 9Y-LHR
CAL expected to take delivery of 3rd B763W in Q2 of 2013
AA to start 1x weekly B738 RTB-MIA service on Nov. 17th
PY to start PBM-CAY-BEL service at the end of October
KX pilots upgrade to Ipads as EFBs
EZjet to begin 5x weekly GEO-POS service Oct. 2nd with BAE-146s
EZjet to begin weekly GEO-YYZ service October 4th
CAL takes delivery of fourth ATR-72-600 (9Y-TTD)
TAWU demands alleged outstanding monies to workers from LI
Tiara Air of Aruba to expand to FLL and various destinations in South America
CAL to launch 2 weekly GEO-YYZ service December 1st
Caricom Airways plans scehduled service to GEO, BGI, PBM and Brazil
Insel Air has painted one of its EMB-110s in its new livery
CAL to return to using JM logos/brand on CAL aircraft

Happy Posting
It is what we think we know already that prevents us from learning.......

andrefranca

RE: 50 Years As Nations - Caribbean Aviation 102

Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:33 am

Congrats to all the Trini/Jcans Islanders!

2travel2know2

Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:19 am

RE; Jamaica 50th aniversary.
Somebody from Grand Cayman told me once that they were given the choice to be a part of Jamaica 50 years ago but they declined. I suppose The Cayman Island would have been like what Tobago is to Trinidad had they chose to be ruled from Kingston.

Quoting BW424 (Thread starter):
AA to start 1x weekly B738 RTB-MIA service on Nov. 17th

Has that been confirmed.
AA is having lots and lots of cancellations and flights delays lately. Don't want to see that route die before it's supposed to start.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

andrefranca

Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:25 am

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 2):
Somebody from Grand Cayman told me once that they were given the choice to be a part of Jamaica 50 years ago but they declined. I suppose The Cayman Island would have been like what Tobago is to Trinidad had they chose to be ruled from Kingston.

According to Wikipedia: "The islands continued to be governed as part of the Colony of Jamaica until 1962, when they became a separate Crown colony while Jamaica became an independent Commonwealth realm."

I once met a caymanian who was born in Jamaica but had the caymanian citizenship since birth as it was the "same" country...

LimaFoxTango

Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:45 pm

I guess the cat is out the bag now...

Flying high
http://news.barbadostoday.bb/2012/09/27/flying-high/

Longstanding Caribbean airline LIAT is going to Europe on a special trip, but it is unclear how much the journey, expected to be at about $230 million, will cost Barbadian tax payers.

Two months after officials declined to divulge details of a plan to renew the company’s fleet of aircraft, it has emerged that negotiations to purchase six planes from France-based Avions de Transport Regional G.I.E have started.

And while LIAT Chairman Jean Holder revealed that two meetings had already been held with ATR’s principal’s on the purchase of the half dozen new ATR 42-600 50 seater planes, just how they will be paid for was still to be decided.

Additionally, once a deal is forged it will be another two to three years before the new aircraft bearing the LIAT name are able to take to the skies.

It was in late July at a Press conference in Barbados that shareholder prime ministers and the airline’s management announced they had reached a decision to purchase new planes, but declined to name the manufacturer or related costs.

Yesterday, however, Holder told Barbados TODAY that following that announcement actual negotiations had started.

“The position is that following the announcement made earlier that LIAT is to acquire a replacement for its 50-seater turboprop aircraft, negotiations have been undertaken with the chosen manufacturer, Avions de Transport Regional G.I.E.,” he said.

“These negotiations surround the proposal for the sale to LIAT of six ATR 42-600 aircraft from the manufacturer. The lead time after agreeing to the proposal would be two to three years for the delivery of all six aircraft.

“So far two meetings have been held at LIAT headquarters in Antigua between the respective representatives of LIAT and the ATR company. It is anticipated that there will be another two or three further meetings between the parties before agreement is reached on ATR’s sale proposal,” he told Barbados TODAY.

While senior aviation sources told this newspaper the likelihood was that shareholder governments Barbados, St. Vincent and the Grenadines and Antigua and Barbuda would likely have to contribute some of the millions needed to purchase, Holder said there had been no conclusion to discussions on how the planes would be bought.

ATR Media Relations Manager David Vargas said the current listed price for the planes LIAT is in discussion to acquire was about $39 million each, which meant any outright purchase of six of them would be about $234 million.

Holder said “the on-going negotiations are about price, delivery schedule, payment terms, financing etcetera. We will not therefore have answers to the financial questions you have posed until the negotiations are complete and we sign the proposal document”.

The chairman also noted while the first half dozen planes would have 50 seats like his organisation’s current fleet of planes, that would not be the end of the fleet renewal.

“With respect to the 50-seat aircraft, LIAT has determined that to carry out its present business missions, and cater for growth, it requires both 50-seat turbo-prop aircraft and larger (68/70 seat) aircraft,” he stated.

“The acquisition of six new 50-seat aircraft is the first step. The process for choosing the larger turbo-prop type has started and is expected to be completed later in 2012.

“We are presently refining the mission of the larger aircraft in our business plan to determine the exact number required to execute the plan.” Aviation industry sources questioned why LIAT was favouring the ATRS, asserting purchasing them would not make economic sense.

“I have heard that they have already decided on the ATRs – which is hard to understand as the Q400s are much faster, close to jet speeds, while the ATRs operate at the same speed as the current DASH 8s – the obvious advantage being that you get there faster as a passenger and as an airline you get in more trips in a day,” the source said.
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.

817Dreamliiner

Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:18 pm

Thanks for starting the new thread BW424!

Quoting LimaFoxTango (Reply 4):

lol I forgot LI was looking at new aircraft, Cant say that im surprised by the choice, the ATR 42 seems to be the best option at the moment for them considering Bombardier doesn't offer anything below 70 seats anymore.

I wonder if they'll go for the ATR 72 or the Dash 8-400 for their 'growth' plans:

With respect to the 50-seat aircraft, LIAT has determined that to carry out its present business missions, and cater for growth, it requires both 50-seat turbo-prop aircraft and larger (68/70 seat) aircraft,” he stated.
Please let me know... If you know this is the end of the world, Let me know... If you know the truth...

trintocan

Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:57 pm

Once again, congratulations to both Trinidad & Tobago and Jamaica on that important milestone - 50 years as independent countries. Both also have Olympic (and in Jamaica's case Paralympic) gold medals among others to celebrate alongside.

The history is a bit more complex than that as the Cayman Islands (and the Turks and Caicos Islands) had been separate British Crown Colonies but were later administered by Jamaica on behalf of Britain. In other words they were dependencies of Jamaica. They were thus part of the Federation as well. When Jamaica left the Federation and became independent, the Caymans and T&C decided to remain Crown Colonies. Tobago's case is somewhat different as it was only a dependency of Trinidad for ten years (1889-1899), during which time it still had its own Government. This ended in 1899 as it became a ward, or integral part, of Trinidad. As such Trinidad & Tobago is a unitary state and not a federation as Jamaica with the two Crown Colonies was, or St. Kitts - Nevis for that matter still are. The difference is that in federations each entity retains various Government structures and a right to self-determination (i.e. secession), something that does not happen by default in a unitary state.

“I have heard that they have already decided on the ATRs – which is hard to understand as the Q400s are much faster, close to jet speeds, while the ATRs operate at the same speed as the current DASH 8s – the obvious advantage being that you get there faster as a passenger and as an airline you get in more trips in a day,” the source said.

Makes you wonder where that source is placed in the grand scheme of things. Q400s are faster but are much larger than any Dash 8 - not many LI routes would be able to sustain that sort of capacity increase. Another point to remember is that the original De Havilland Canada had a long heritage of "bush-plane" building and so models such as the Caribou, Otter and Twin Otter have been well-regarded for being sturdy in various operating conditions. While this heritage was maintained with the Dash 7, notwithstanding its original design as a STOLport machine, the original Dash 8 represented something of a departure from history. The Q400 however represents a radical break with tradition by Bombardier as it is more in line with the CRJs and is meant as a more fuel-effective option for inter-city flights over distances up to around 1300 miles. The ATR appear to be more suited for shorter hops such as those LI operate and so it would be the best choice, given what is available now.

Trintocan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

BWIA 772

Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:02 am

“We are presently refining the mission of the larger aircraft in our business plan to determine the exact number required to execute the plan.” Aviation industry sources questioned why LIAT was favouring the ATRS, asserting purchasing them would not make economic sense.

Clearly these Aviation industry sources have nothing more than a cursory understanding of the industry, airline operations and simple arithmetic! I for one am sick of these "industry sources" making these statements clearly showing their ignorance and inability to use google properly.

Anyways, I wonder if LI is also going to be undertaking additional capacity cuts. Right now they are operating between 11-13 Dash 8s IIRC. How many aircraft do they envision in their renewed fleet?

Regards
BWIA 772
Eagles Soar!

andrefranca

Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:33 am

well I believe we have discussed about that before! I'll miss the Dashes  but NOW the ATR seem to be the best option.... hope they don't come with MD or BAE ideas LOL !

par13del

Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:54 am

Fleet commonality will be a factor, however, politics and financing can eradicate the benefit of same.
ATR has a 50 seater which Bombadier does not, ATR also has a larger model, so if they start off purchasing 6 50 seaters it makes sense to stay with the same OEM when getting the larger a/c, there is quite likely some commonality between the models.

A388

Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:37 pm

“These negotiations surround the proposal for the sale to LIAT of six ATR 42-600 aircraft from the manufacturer. The lead time after agreeing to the proposal would be two to three years for the delivery of all six aircraft.

I'm not aware of the ATR having a delivery time of 2-3 years. Look at how fast Caribbean Airlines got 4 ATR's. The ATR production line to my knowledge really isn't that busy.

A388

guyanam

Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:57 pm

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 8):

the ATR opens up opportunities for cooperation in spare parts/engineers/maintenance between BW and LI. Both are cash strapped airlines whose govts are tired of supporting them. Or at least should be tired, given many more urgent priorities. Also the less these airlines depend on govt, HOPEFULLY, the less these govts will interfere.

LimaFoxTango

Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:01 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 10):
I'm not aware of the ATR having a delivery time of 2-3 years. Look at how fast Caribbean Airlines got 4 ATR's. The ATR production line to my knowledge really isn't that busy.

Remember, an airline may not be in a position to accept the aircraft as fast ATR can push them out. The rumour out there is LI will take 3 in 2013 and 3 in 2014. So yes, ATR will not take 3 years to build 6 aircraft, but LI may want to use that length of time to complete their fleet renewal program.

guyanam

Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:33 pm

Quoting LimaFoxTango (Reply 12):

The lengthy delivery period is no doubt related to funding issues. For that matter its likely that not all of the BW ATRs that they will not take already have buyers, but LI isnt ready yet.

GUYAIR707

Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:57 pm

Quoting BW424 (Thread starter):

Thank you for the new thread, congratulations to all Jamaicans, Trinidadians and Tobagonians on the 50th anniversary.

Quoting guyanam (Reply 13):

Except BW ordered the 72-600 and I do believe LI wants the 42-600.

GUYAIR707

guyanam

Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:22 pm

Quoting GUYAIR707 (Reply 14):

Yes that is a point, but even if the smaller planes were available its likely that LIAT isnt ready yet. BGI owes UWI US$75 million, jeopardizing Cave Hill campus, and Bajan students in Jamaica and T&T. They are really flat broke. GND said it was going to buy shares in LI, but they had to borrow money from SVD to meet payroll last month. And two major banks in the E/Cbn were bailed out though no one seems willing to say which.

LI isnt a high priority right now.

andrefranca

Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:21 am

in the meanwhile Ezjet and CAL exchanging low blows! seems that CAL is rumoring that Ezjet will be the next Redjet and EZjet is flooding their facebook pages with videos of CAL "trying to win back guyanese after they were mistreated", EZjet has issued a statement:!

"Note to our Customers

We have heard many people saying we will be another Redjet. We are thrilled that Redjet aimed at providing ultra low fares to the market so you the customer can enjoy low fares. However, EZjet is EZjet and the amount of support you give us will ensure that we continue service in the market. Our low fares are calculated and we study many aspects to make sure that it will be safe for our airline and will ensure success as we progress."

From EZjet facebook page.

BW424
Topic Author

Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:18 am

Quoting GUYAIR707 (Reply 14):
Except BW ordered the 72-600 and I do believe LI wants the 42-600.

Well, the 72 is just a stretch of the 42 and all parts are identical. Therefore, cooperation between the two, if ever that happens will be effortless.

Flying high

The cat is indeed out of the bag! It's a pity to so biased sources talking about the suitability of the Q400 to LI's operations.

As for CAL, proving flights by the 763s are suppose to begin this Wednesday to YYZ. Another to LGW should be scheduled soon after.

GUYAIR707

Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:18 am

Quoting BW424 (Reply 17):

Yes I understand that but I was referring to LI taking the ones BW were giving up. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

GUYAIR707

BW424
Topic Author

Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:03 pm

Quoting GUYAIR707 (Reply 18):
Yes I understand that but I was referring to LI taking the ones BW were giving up. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Oh, my apologies....

Well, two of the four not being taken have already been sold to Intersky in the EU and I reckon the other two will find homes pretty quickly.

guyanam

Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:07 pm

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 16):

Both Ezjet and CAL need one of those carriers to drop out as the airfares are now quite unsustainable.
It appears as if Ez is drawing more blood from BW than from DL as BW is offering $400 INCLUDING FEES vs DL @ $500.

Having said that DL used to charge $700 for off peak travel so they arent unaffected either.

andrefranca

Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:55 pm

Bahamas on the spotlight!

Police will keep close eye on pax's arriving from Panama, they believe it is becoming a "trend" for mules to travel from PTY to NAS in order to smuggle narcotics into the USA!

Source: http://www.thenassauguardian.com/ind...-drug-trend&catid=3:news&Itemid=27

AA to withdraw its ATR on the MIA NAS route! ERJ-145 will be used!

It's being discussed here AA ATR Withdrawal On MIA-NAS Complete Nov 15th (by N62NA Oct 2 2012 in Civil Aviation)

caribbean484

Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:03 am

Some interesting developments happening this week

Analysis: BA reasserts commitment to Caribbean
"The Caribbean forms the bedrock of British Airways’ long-haul schedule from Gatwick, with daily flights to Antigua, Saint Lucia and Barbados through the summer and increased frequencies in winter."
http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/Details/41757

But it seems that GND will see only One weekly flights from next year from BA and a committee will be meeting with CAL to have a 1w service to LGW with a subsidy for seats.
"Minister for Tourism Senator Dr George Vincent has confirmed that the Grenada Airlift Committee is in discussions with Caribbean Airlines to service the Grenada/London route.
The disclosure follows the announcement from British Airways last week that its twice weekly summer flights to Grenada will be reduced to Sundays only, beginning 2013."
http://www.caribbeannewsnow.com/head...to-service-London-route-12847.html

New LIAT CEO to address regional transportation issues at industry conference
" The burning and vexing issue of affordable and reliable intra-regional travel will be the focus of attention when the new LIAT CEO, Capt. Ian Brunton, makes his maiden appearance at the region’s premier tourism gathering.
Brunton, who took over at the helm of the regional carrier at the beginning of August, will join a panel of creative thinkers and doers seeking to identify solutions to a problem that has plagued Caribbean travellers for a number of years."
http://www.caribbeannewsnow.com/head...-at-industry-conference-12853.html
All ah we is one family

andrefranca

Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:02 pm

Where's Yellowtail annoucing Tropic's new route BZE-CUN just saw on their facebook page!

yellowtail

Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:52 pm

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 23):
Where's Yellowtail annoucing Tropic's new route BZE-CUN ?  just saw on their facebook page!

Sorry, I posted it on the C. american forum.

The also announced BZE/SPR-MYF.....which is San Ignacio (Western Belize)

Regionally they now have from BZE...FRS, GUA, SAP, and CUN.....I guess remaining on the hit list is MID, GCM, RTB and LCE
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

andrefranca

Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:16 pm

Just a bit off topic!

Congrats to the West Indies for winning the 2012 Cricket World Cup!  

BW424
Topic Author

Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:16 pm

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 25):
Congrats to the West Indies for winning the 2012 Cricket World Cup!  

Congrats to them. They won the T20 World Cup which is a reduced overs (20) version of the game. The actual World Cup is 50 overs.

In other news, it's is with great sadness to hear of a FlyMonsterrat Islander that crashed shortly after takeoff from ANU. It is being reported that the pilot and one other passenger is deceased. Two other passengers are in critical condition at the hospital.  

R.I.P. to those gone and a speedy recovery to those in the hospital.

In other sad news, it is also being reported that a seaplane went down in PTP.

windowflyer

Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:17 pm

Congrats to the West Indies for winning the 2012 Cricket World Cup

Thanks. But...

Technically it's "THE ICC WORLD TWENTY20 TOURNAMENT" not The Cricket World Cup. The next World Cup is in 2015

CAL's "new" 767s look incredible. Anyone know how long they plan on keeping these aircraft? I would imagine they are already 15 + years old. I'm sure the answer is somewhere in this thread but I don't feel like browsing through 102 pages. Heard rumors about 787 possibilities but I'll believe that when I see it. (Trinis like to talk big)
A-300,319,320,321,330,340,380. B-727,737,747,757,767,777,787. L-1011,DC8,DC9,MD80,CRJ,Dash-8,YS-11,HS-748,Concorde

andrefranca

Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:39 pm

Quoting BW424 (Reply 26):

Thanks for the Info!

OMG, this is so sad, I saw LIAT informing their pax via facebook that the runway is closed, and is supposed to be open only from 9 PM!

Anyone with more info?

BW424
Topic Author

Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:03 am

Quoting windowflyer (Reply 27):
CAL's "new" 767s look incredible. Anyone know how long they plan on keeping these aircraft? I would imagine they are already 15 + years old. I'm sure the answer is somewhere in this thread but I don't feel like browsing through 102 pages. Heard rumors about 787 possibilities but I'll believe that when I see it. (Trinis like to talk big)

To give a bit of a summary, the B763s are going to be with CAL for an initial period of 5 years (leased from the ILFC). Both aircraft are around 17 years old. As for the 787, that was all stupid talk from the airline's former chairman George Nicholas. For now, CAL is looking to put these 763s into service on initially GEO-JFK-GEO, POS-JFK-POS and POS-YYZ-POS sectors.

Point of note...

9Y-LHR had its first proving flight today to YYZ as BW2600. There should be a proving flight to LGW with 9Y-LGW sometime next week.

817Dreamliiner

Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:57 am

In other news, it's is with great sadness to hear of a FlyMonsterrat Islander that crashed shortly after takeoff from ANU. It is being reported that the pilot and one other passenger is deceased. Two other passengers are in critical condition at the hospital.  

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 28):
OMG, this is so sad, I saw LIAT informing their pax via facebook that the runway is closed, and is supposed to be open only from 9 PM!

Well from the info ive gathered last night, the FlyM aircraft involved is VP-MON. there are many reports indicating bad weather and that the aircraft was struck by lightening on take off. Now im not a expect on how lightening affects aircraft but I never heard lightening bringing down a plane (at least I dont know of any cases) . But yet thats all speculation so far, we'll have to wait and see what info the investigation brings.

Right now im hearing conflicting reports on how many people died in the crash, some are confirming only two, some say 3 and there are some report 5 deaths. The report that is reporting 3 confirmed deaths report 2 were killed initially in the crash and a third on the way to the hospital as a result of their injuries.

Plane Down At TAPA/ANU Antigua (by wahdadli Oct 7 2012 in Civil Aviation)

An official statement from flyMontserrat regarding the crash should be posted later today.

Personally, this crash really hit me a bit hard because it was so close to home and knowing people actually died. At the moment I dont know if there was anyone I knew on that flight as names havent been released. Right now im praying hard for the families of the people who died yesterday.

More to follow...
Please let me know... If you know this is the end of the world, Let me know... If you know the truth...

817Dreamliiner

Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:26 am

Update via MNIalive:

Quote:
The Manager of Fly Montserrat, Captain Nigel Harris, has provided MNI Alive with an official statement from the airline regarding the crash of their aircraft, Flight 107, shortly after takeoff from the VC Bird International Airport.

See statement from Fly Montserrat below:

I can confirm that a FlyMontserrat aircraft crashed shortly after take off at V C Bird International airport around 1600 today.

On board were the pilot and 3 passengers.

We are sad to report that three people have died - two passengers and the pilot, Jason Forbes. One passenger has been critically injured and taken to hospital.

The Air Accidents Investigation Branch from the Department for Transport in the UK has been informed and until their team make their report it would be inappropriate to comment further on the cause of the accident.

Our thoughts and condolences are with the families and friends of those on board.

Source: http://www.mnialive.com/lifestyle/is...arding-plane-crash-in-antigua.html

A388

Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:43 pm

In other sad news, it is also being reported that a seaplane went down in PTP.

Very sad news indeed!!! R.I.P. to all those gone and as already mentioned, a speedy recovery of the survivor.

Quoting BW424 (Reply 29):
For now, CAL is looking to put these 763s into service on initially GEO-JFK-GEO, POS-JFK-POS and POS-YYZ-POS sectors.

So for now JFK will be seeing two Caribbean Airlines 76W flights on a daily basis? I'm guessing that this capacity is needed especially in December.

I think this was asked before but with the introduction of the 76W how will this affect the loads on the 737 flights? Even though these flights may be additional flights, I'm sure it will have some level of impact on the existing 737 flights(?)

A388

caribbean484

Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:40 pm

Yes congrats to the West Indies cricket team

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 30):

Very sad indeed.

Quoting A388 (Reply 32):
So for now JFK will be seeing two Caribbean Airlines 76W flights on a daily basis? I'm guessing that this capacity is needed especially in December.

No so far the rotation will just be POS-GEO-JFK-GEO-POS 3w, and then POS-GEO-YYZ-GEO-POS 2w. Along with the LGW 3w the 767 will not have much slack in the system hence the reason for a third 763 to join the fleet in the Spring.

For the winter CAL will have from JFK, 21w flights KIN, 10w from MBJ, 28w from POS, 3w (767) from GEO, 4w from GND and 1w from TAB. On some days there will be up to 12 flights in JFK for the Christmas season and more wide-bodies.
YYZ will see 6w to KIN, 14w to POS, 2w to GEO and 2w to GND.

Quoting A388 (Reply 32):
I think this was asked before but with the introduction of the 76W how will this affect the loads on the 737 flights? Even though these flights may be additional flights, I'm sure it will have some level of impact on the existing 737 flights

Honestly no meaningful impact as of yet, the current schedule has shown an increase in pax to I doubt there will be a decrease. If anything CAL can maybe start ATL or IAD, and do some services to BGI.
All ah we is one family

A388

Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:56 pm

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 33):
No so far the rotation will just be POS-GEO-JFK-GEO-POS 3w, and then POS-GEO-YYZ-GEO-POS 2w. Along with the LGW 3w the 767 will not have much slack in the system hence the reason for a third 763 to join the fleet in the Spring.

Great thanks for the clarification  
Honestly no meaningful impact as of yet, the current schedule has shown an increase in pax to I doubt there will be a decrease. If anything CAL can maybe start ATL or IAD, and do some services to BGI.

That is great for Caribbean Airlines, thanks again Caribbean484. So the addition of those 76W's lead to more people flying on Caribbean Airlines. That's always good!!!

I wonder whether CUR will ever get served by Caribbean Airlines. I have lost faith in that to be honest.

Is there more news regarding the LIAT ATR's?

A388

guyanam

Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:13 pm

Ok Andre which citizenship do you want? Its time you stop being an honorary West Indian and become a real one. Pick your favorite CARICOM country......other than Belize......I never hear of them and cricket.

Even though you mixed up 20/20 and CWC still it shows a real commitment to even notice this in a country where they think that the only cricket is the one with wings.

BW normally runs a wet lease daily 767 from Omni during the peak periods to cover JFK POS. Is the plan for this third aircraft to remove the need for this lease? If so there probably will not be much room for new routes.

I think that an IAD route will do better than ATL. If DL couldnt make ATL work...with their feed in addition to O&D I dont think that BW can. I had the impression that the IAD roite was doing OK for BWIA, until they became unreliable.

Also dont know about BGI. B6 has them locked down, unless AA decides to drop the JFK BGI route, which might be possible as they have discontinued other routes where they have competed with B6.

N312RM

Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:55 pm

Quoting trintocan (Reply 6):
The history is a bit more complex than that as the Cayman Islands (and the Turks and Caicos Islands) had been separate British Crown Colonies but were later administered by Jamaica on behalf of Britain. In other words they were dependencies of Jamaica. They were thus part of the Federation as well. When Jamaica left the Federation and became independent, the Caymans and T&C decided to remain Crown Colonies

The only thing I would make clear in this discussion is that at the time of Jamaica gaining its independence, Cayman was given a choice by the UK government, go with Jamaica or remain and become a Crown colony. The rest is history.

My congratulations on this new thread.

Just read of the plane crash in ANU in a separate post. A sad day indeed. My condolences to the families of the deceased.

andrefranca

Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:59 pm

Quoting guyanam (Reply 35):
Ok Andre which citizenship do you want? Its time you stop being an honorary West Indian and become a real one. Pick your favorite CARICOM country......other than Belize......I never hear of them and cricket.

Even though you mixed up 20/20 and CWC still it shows a real commitment to even notice this in a country where they think that the only cricket is the one with wings.

Hahaha hey it's tough question! You know I used to play what we call here "Tacoball" when I was small, it has the principles of cricket but we had no clue cricket even existed! of course I forgot most of the rules and try to re-learn while watching!

I don't think brazilians without connections to the caribbean will ever know what Cricket is....

And I don't know which country I'd pick because each one is so unique and special (apart from BGI of course, I'll never forget what the immigration officers did to me).  

windowflyer

Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:36 am

To give a bit of a summary, the B763s are going to be with CAL for an initial period of 5 years (leased from the ILFC). Both aircraft are around 17 years old. As for the 787, that was all stupid talk from the airline's former chairman George Nicholas. For now, CAL is looking to put these 763s into service on initially GEO-JFK-GEO, POS-JFK-POS and POS-YYZ-POS sectors.

Point of note...

9Y-LHR had its first proving flight today to YYZ as BW2600. There should be a proving flight to LGW with 9Y-LGW sometime next week.

Thanks for the info.
A-300,319,320,321,330,340,380. B-727,737,747,757,767,777,787. L-1011,DC8,DC9,MD80,CRJ,Dash-8,YS-11,HS-748,Concorde

yellowtail

Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:14 am

Pick your favorite CARICOM country......other than Belize......I never hear of them and cricket.

Once he gets here next year, he will never want to go to the eastern Caribbean again!

And yes we do play cricket in Belize.....
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

2travel2know2

Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:09 pm

Quite off topic but..

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 37):
I don't think Brazilians without connections to the caribbean will ever know what Cricket is....

Add to those Brazilians with connections to India/Pakistan, South Africa and UK.

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 39):
And yes we do play cricket in Belize.....

And in Panama too, but now a days it's mostly East Indians (Panamanians of Indian descent and immigrants from that part of the world) who play it.. West Indians stop playing Cricket and started to play Baseball instead.
Surprised West Indies isn't big in Rugby too..
I'm not on CM's payroll.

guyanam

Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:12 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 39):

Well Belize does intrigue me. Belizeans are the same anomaly of being the only English speaking country in your region as are Guyanese.; Though you are way more integrated into the rest of Central America than we are in South America as most of you guys are bilingual. Not only do we not speak Spanish or Portuguese, but we do not even have proper air service to Venezuela or Brazil.

Well as for cricket...cant quite recall any Belizeans who have made the team.

beeweel15

Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:06 pm

To give a bit of a summary, the B763s are going to be with CAL for an initial period of 5 years (leased from the ILFC). Both aircraft are around 17 years old. As for the 787, that was all stupid talk from the airline's former chairman George Nicholas.

Cant they place an order for the 787's and they be delivered when the leases for the 767's expier in 5 years.

GUYAIR707

Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:47 pm

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 31):

The news is also saying that a Guyanese woman was onboard. Condolences to the families.

GUYAIR707

817Dreamliiner

Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:12 pm

Quoting GUYAIR707 (Reply 43):

Thats correct, names were released today. The lone survivor is doing well from what ive heard, other than that nothing new yet.

A388

Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:15 pm

Quoting beeweel15 (Reply 42):
Cant they place an order for the 787's and they be delivered when the leases for the 767's expier in 5 years.

You must have the money to lease those 787's which they apparently don't have now, especially if they also want to replace their 737-800 fleet with the 737MAX model.

A388

guyanam

Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:30 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 45):

And especially if the LGW route doesnt work out they might want to just stay with an all 737 fleet after the lease expires and not be obligated to an expensive 787.

GUYAIR707

Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:44 pm

Quoting guyanam (Reply 46):

I do believe that some routes have outgrown the 738 (JFK-POS/GEO), especially during the peak season. That being said, yields have to be considered, which I am not privy to.

BA is complaining about the CAL subsidy. The question is will the LGW route do as well if there wasn't the subsidy? If the route can get market share before the removal of the subsidy, then maybe. Could the UK go to the WTO against T&T?? Those would be big guns against T&T if that did happen. It may not be worth it to the UK doing that. In any case their travel tax is killing their Caribbean market, and may be a bigger problem than CAL's subsidy.

GUYAIR707

LimaFoxTango

Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:15 am

For my own enlightenment, what is the purpose of these proving flights and what is exactly learnt from them? Just a general question as many airlines do it before starting a new route/aircraft type.

caribbean484

Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:31 am

BW normally runs a wet lease daily 767 from Omni during the peak periods to cover JFK POS. Is the plan for this third aircraft to remove the need for this lease? If so there probably will not be much room for new routes.

No the third is for CAL to always offer its won services in case of a breakdown or maintenance, there will be more schedule added to both 767s in the future.

I think that an IAD route will do better than ATL. If DL couldnt make ATL work...with their feed in addition to O&D I dont think that BW can. I had the impression that the IAD roite was doing OK for BWIA, until they became unreliable.

IAD would do well from BGI, basically when BWIA did the route and had a code sharing agreement with United they loads were great but we all know what happened.

Quoting LimaFoxTango (Reply 48):
For my own enlightenment, what is the purpose of these proving flights and what is exactly learnt from them? Just a general question as many airlines do it before starting a new route/aircraft type.

Well for CAL/BWIA neither airline ever operated a wide body twin under ETOPS, so its more of a comfort to TTCAA for planning and ETOPS certification. This is more towards Trans Atlantic flights than anything else.
All ah we is one family