skipness1E
Topic Author

American Ops At Heathrow

Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:34 am

pprune are reporting that BA will be handling American at LHR from Jan-2013. Previously American were self handling, I believe stations of a certain size and up had to be under a union agreement. I am guessing going Chapter 11 means that they no longer are bound by this?

pu

RE: American Ops At Heathrow

Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:57 am

AA ground staff everywhere is rapidly becoming a thing of the past. The "lucky" ones will be offered jobs with AMR's ground handling subsidiary formerly known as a reginal airline, American Eagle. Without benefits of any kind.

Pu

Skyguy

Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:22 am

I hope this bodes well for customers at LHR, there was an Op-Ed in todays New York Times, a well known author had an unfortunate experience with them at LHR and wrote a very scathing and negative write up. Wonder if any at AA would notice this. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/30/op...ntic-trip-turns-kafkaesque.html?hp
"Those who talk, do not know, and those who know, do not talk."

Liverpoola380

Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:02 am

BA LHR Ground Ops are excellent I think its a great move!

sevenheavy

Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:17 am

I can't see a source anywhere, but assuming this is true (and in the absence of any details like which parts of ground handling, as AA has mx, ramp, ops and customer service staff) it is difficult to see the benefit, in particular to BA.

AA gets a lot of staff off its books, granted. But BA will have to offer all of them jobs under TUPE, so they will transfer from one airline to the other. Over time there may be some efficiency savings through attrition but BA will have to pay them the same as AA in the meantime. A lot of those employees have been there since TWA flew the routes, and I doubt many will leave in a hurry. It's not like they are being transferred over to a handling agent where there is less incentive to stay.

If true, it's a definately change in direction from AA. LHR is viewed almost as a hub, and something of a flagship station. When AA were slashing salaries in the early 2000's LHR staff were left untouched (which possibly means they are relatively highly paid now.....) and they are a backup and diversion station for AA's entire European operation.

They also do a fair bit of handling for other carriers, so that's an additional headache.

It may well be true, it's just difficult to see where AA will save any money. They aren't in T5, so it's not as if they can just be absorbed into BA's operation there. I know they also operate from T3, but AA's operation is bigger than BA's so they will still need a separate workforce. It's not as if BA are going to do it for free, and their costs aren't much different to AA's.

Lastly, I'm assuming that this doesn't include AA's sizeable engineering operation at LHR. They offer support for all of AA's European operations, and LHR is the diversion/turnback airport for any European flights for that reason.
So long 701, it was nice knowing you.