Italianflyer

New Travel Channel Show 'Airport 24/7'

Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:07 pm

Set your DVR for Travel Channel's new series 'Airport 24/7" series @ 9pm eastern. Features an in depth look behind the scenes at MIA , mostly from an operations point of view.

flymia

Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:16 pm

DVR set  Knew about this for a while now. They are showing two episodes tonight. I think it is only six episodes though. Not sure if they will go to another airport or see how it does. I would prefer staying at MIA for more episodes but it would be interesting to see other airports. LAX or JFK would be great too.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

Italianflyer

Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:20 pm

I hope it becomes a regular thing too and they cover other major airports   If they can make something like Man v. Food work (I went to college with Adam..watching him snarf a 10lb cheeseburger is just painful) then I think they can find a niche for 'Airport'. It looks promising....like a below-the-wing version of A&E's "Airline".

speedbrds

Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:38 pm

Excited. Perhaps not so. It's still not the same as London Heathrow's 'Airport'. That was THE best show. Now we get to see how we American's run an airport, if you can call it 'running' an airport. Another reality show (basically) to show how inept we American's are. This should be fun...

thomasphoto60

Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:42 pm

Damn, and my local provider stopped carrying TTC (along with NGC) a few months back. Hopefully it will migrate to one of their sister networks.
"Show me the Braniffs"

tjwgrr

Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:50 pm

DVR set. Could have potential- hopefully not another airport reality show highlighting nut-job attention seeking passengers. We shall see.

Some video snippets:

http://www.travelchannel.com/tv-shows/airport-24-7-miami/video

Nice ramp clip here:
http://www.travelchannel.com/video/tarmac-dos-and-donts

[Edited 2012-10-02 11:59:41]
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

LV

Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:12 pm

Watching the initial promos I'm concerned the producers are going to over dramatize everything and make it real old real quick. "Documentary" shows on American networks have a tendency to do that (i.e. American Chopper). The two best aviation shows I have seen I had to go find on the internet to see them.... Ice Pilots (they have an Americanized version on the Weather Channel but I went on line to find the original Canadian version) and Inside Gatwick (some dramatization but not much). Still, I will keep an open mind going into it.

AA94

Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:19 pm

Quoting LV (Reply 6):
Watching the initial promos I'm concerned the producers are going to over dramatize everything and make it real old real quick.

Having watched the entire first and second episodes, I can say that this isn't the case. Yes, there is a little dramatization because they still need to make it palatable for non-avgeeks, but it's not too bad, and I was fascinated by the first two episodes.

The producer, Chris Sloan, is an avgeek himself, so hopefully Airport: 24/7 will stay away from over-dramatization.

http://blog.racingwinds.com/2012/09/...rfect-show-for-avgeeks-and-beyond/
If you can't take the heat, you best get out of the kitchen

OB1504

Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:33 pm

Quoting flymia (Reply 1):
I think it is only six episodes though.

For now. I guess they're going to see how they do ratings-wise before ordering a full season. I'm hoping it does well because I'd personally like to appear in an episode, despite my history with one of the present stars!

Quoting speedbrds (Reply 3):
Now we get to see how we American's run an airport, if you can call it 'running' an airport. Another reality show (basically) to show how inept we American's are.

I can assure you that the Miami-Dade Aviation Department does an excellent job of running MIA, despite constant interference from the county itself.

Quoting AA94 (Reply 7):
The producer, Chris Sloan, is an avgeek himself, so hopefully Airport: 24/7 will stay away from over-dramatization.

He also runs the Airchive.com website.

Type-Rated

Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:38 pm

From what has been said in this thread so far this show sounds promising.... DVR set.

I wonder if this is going to be a long advert for AA like the show they did at ORD covering AA's operations some years back.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

OB1504

RE: New Travel Channel Show 'Airport 24/7'

Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:47 pm

Quoting type-rated (Reply 9):
I wonder if this is going to be a long advert for AA like the show they did at ORD covering AA's operations some years back.

Considering their present state, it may have just the opposite effect, though I believe the episodes were filmed prior to the current labor strife. I think it's supposed to be an advert for Miami-Dade County as a whole, otherwise they wouldn't have approved the filming.

srbmod

Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:55 pm

Quoting thomasphoto60 (Reply 4):
Damn, and my local provider stopped carrying TTC (along with NGC) a few months back. Hopefully it will migrate to one of their sister networks.

Unlikely since Travel Channel is no longer owned by Discovery Networks and none of the other Scripps Interactive networks is a likely fit (Food Network, Cooking Channel, Great American Country, HGTV, DIY,).

Quoting type-rated (Reply 9):

This show appears to not focus on a particular airline and seems to go into multiple areas within the airport and that is where a lot of stories can be found.

Quoting ItalianFlyer (Reply 2):
I hope it becomes a regular thing too and they cover other major airports

Similar to how Airline focused on multiple WN cities. The question is will other airports be willing to give film crews this sort of access? I remember about 12 years ago the Discovery Channel had a crew at ATL filming a special on the airport (I never got a chance to see it, as they only showed it a handful of times and I missed it. I may have actually been in some of the footage as they were filming around the gates I worked at ASA that particular day.).

AA94

Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:35 pm

Quoting srbmod (Reply 11):
This show appears to not focus on a particular airline and seems to go into multiple areas within the airport and that is where a lot of stories can be found.

Correct. The show focuses on general airline ops at the airport, as well as TSA ops, baggage ops, CBP ops, and other areas related to the overall running of the airport. It doesn't focus on one specific airline.

OB1504

Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:08 pm

Quoting srbmod (Reply 11):
The question is will other airports be willing to give film crews this sort of access?

If they use it to promote the city/airport, as MIA seems to be doing, other airports could be more likely to cooperate, especially if the series does well.

zippyjet

Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:09 pm

Quoting ItalianFlyer (Thread starter):

Looking forward to it. I hope they also include the history of MIA. A very rich aviation heritage indeed. Regrettably, MIA website omits any history section.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

rwy04lga

Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:47 pm

Each episode only a half hour long? Bummer!
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

AA94

Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:25 pm

Quoting speedbrds (Reply 3):
Excited. Perhaps not so. It's still not the same as London Heathrow's 'Airport'. That was THE best show. Now we get to see how we American's run an airport, if you can call it 'running' an airport. Another reality show (basically) to show how inept we American's are. This should be fun...

I'm intrigued as to how you arrived at this conclusion ...

crapper1

Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:19 am

It's a niche show. What they need to do is continue production. Then make it available online for streaming with ads so they get the revenue from it and they can fill the empty slot on the network for something more kardashean how ever u spell that. When airport ops get stale to the public but is still having good viewership to turn a profit online.Sadly no network execs are that smart

andrefranca

Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:27 am

they already did airport 24/7 in GRU and MEX is this new season?

DeltaRules

Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:54 am

Looking forward to this. Airport was excellent, so hopefully this is as good.

Quoting LV (Reply 6):
Ice Pilots (they have an Americanized version on the Weather Channel but I went on line to find the original Canadian version)

I saw the same episode of Ice Pilots (the one where they prep the water bombers to go Trans-Atlantic) in Toronto and again on NatGeo in the US and didn't see any differences between the two episodes.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

speedbrds

Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:05 am

Quoting AA94 (Reply 16):

In regards to what? My opinion of how Heathrow's 'Airport' is THE best show or how inept our airports are ran. Clarification is key.

Have you travelled lately? The infrastructure of US airports is hilarious. Everything from TSA to food/beverage sites is sad. As an American, I cannot say I am proud of our air transport infrastructure.

[Edited 2012-10-02 18:09:11]

AA94

Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:09 am

Quoting speedbrds (Reply 20):
In regards to what? My opinion of how Heathrow's 'Airport' is THE best show or how inept our airports are ran. Clarification is key.

My apologies. I reread your previous comment and realize that you yourself are American. I thought you were British, and calling out Americans for being "inept" at running airports.

Pardon me for the oversight. As you were ...

n797mx

Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:29 am

Watching it now, not really impressed. On a side note, anyone see what looked like a SR tractor sill in MIA?  
Clear skies and strong tail winds.

spacecadet

Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:32 am

Couldn't finish it. Typical reality show "setups". I turned it off when the TSA discovered the inevitable "potential terrorist".
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

OB1504

Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:06 am

Quoting n797mx (Reply 22):
On a side note, anyone see what looked like a SR tractor sill in MIA?

Swissport, actually. They run a very good operation at MIA and provide ground handling to a number of international and domestic carriers.

Quoting spacecadet (Reply 23):
Couldn't finish it. Typical reality show "setups". I turned it off when the TSA discovered the inevitable "potential terrorist".

The second episode was better in this regard. I guess the first episode of anything set at an airport always has to revolve around security.

At least it's not LAX!

flymia

Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:24 am

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 14):
Looking forward to it. I hope they also include the history of MIA. A very rich aviation heritage indeed. Regrettably, MIA website omits any history section.

That should change. MIA and the city in general is filled with aviation history. One of the most rich aviation history cities in the world honestly.

Quoting speedbrds (Reply 20):
Have you travelled lately? The infrastructure of US airports is hilarious. Everything from TSA to food/beverage sites is sad. As an American, I cannot say I am proud of our air transport infrastructure.

Huh? I can agree with TSA but since when have American airports become so horrible. I think U.S. airports do a pretty good job transporting the largest air market in the world.

Quoting spacecadet (Reply 23):

I can see how you can that feeling with the security stuff but I would not call it "typical" it is a lot better than most garbage on TV.

Quoting OB1504 (Reply 24):
At least it's not LAX!

Great comment! What a disaster that was.

I liked it. Of course I have some home airport bias but it was a good show. I toured CBP facilities over the summer and those guys are a great group of professionals, especially the Chief who is not on the show. I also met one of the dogs they had on the opening credits 
Also the police officer they focused on is the officer who helped me deal with a traffic accident I was involved in right by the airport. Great officer.

It was good. Glad to see it not too dramatic and it had some interesting stuff. Looking forward to next week.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

CaliAtenza

Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:42 am

Quoting OB1504 (Reply 24):
At least it's not LAX!

hey i kinda liked that show lol.

zippyjet

Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:29 am

Quoting flymia (Reply 25):
That should change. MIA and the city in general is filled with aviation history. One of the most rich aviation history cities in the world honestly.

Your mouth to God's ears! It's been at least five years since MIA omitted their rich aviation history in their web site.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

ckfred

Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:16 am

I thought the show was interesting. But I was struck by one thing, the lack of any activitiy at AA. You saw some quick footage of Concourse D, but I actually saw more Delta jets than American jets. If AA has at least 70% of the traffic at MIA, shouldn't there be some footage of AA activities?

flymia

Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:47 am

Quoting ckfred (Reply 28):

I thought the show was interesting. But I was struck by one thing, the lack of any activitiy at AA. You saw some quick footage of Concourse D, but I actually saw more Delta jets than American jets. If AA has at least 70% of the traffic at MIA, shouldn't there be some footage of AA activities?

Most of the outdoor scenes and shots were in or around the South concourse where DL is. DL usually uses the southern runway too while AA uses the two runways to the north near their terminal. I think that is one reason. DL has a decent amount of flights out of MIA so there will be a bunch of them around the South the concourse. But good observation I did not see much AA.

kpitrrat

Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:50 am

While I honestly liked episode one I will say that it appears that this (episode 1 at least is) attempting to show TSA in a more "Important" light. I say "Important" in that manner because it really is important and necessary whether we like it or not. But considering the bad press it has been getting/earning not many people respect what they do. I feel the travel channel is trying to show people that TSA is necessary and to be honest I am still not sure how to feel about it. I suppose you could include border protection but I believe they are completely necessary, just being from western PA I hear more about them on television shows concerning the Mexican border.

Also, considering that I have worked at PIT as a ramp agent seeing the footage of the A380 from a different perspective was pretty cool. Aircraft in photos and on television do not do it justice to really understand how big some are and working at PIT we do not get to see many widebodies. Overall I approve thus far.

[Edited 2012-10-02 21:56:38]

[Edited 2012-10-02 21:58:15]

N62NA

Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:05 am

I thought the show was interesting. But I was struck by one thing, the lack of any activitiy at AA.

Same here. Kind of odd. Maybe AA didn't give the producers permission.

dlramp4life

Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:14 am

Quoting N62NA (Reply 31):
I thought the show was interesting. But I was struck by one thing, the lack of any activitiy at AA.

Same here. Kind of odd. Maybe AA didn't give the producers permission.

I found the show interesting as well and saw more action from DL, international airlines and even ground handlers then AA. You would think they would have some involvement in the show since it is their hub.

But as someone who studied television production and works on the front lines at an airport, I think it is an interesting show concept whether it is real or not.
SEA Ramp, wettest place on earth

rotating14

Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:55 am

Not impressed, good job finding the narcotics but car accidents happen everyday, kinda had to turn it when they stretched so much time covering the A380 to see if it was going to leave on time .... DUN DUN DUN.

bhmdiversion

Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:25 pm

I thought the show would be a little more about the odds and ends of the airport, but the Security Director of MIA seemed to be very dramatic, and also since when does the airport authority care about getting passengers to their flights. In every airport that I have worked, I have NEVER seen an airport "helper' take the time to help out like that. I think this was done more since the cameras were around. I also tried to figure out how the station manager of LH was allowed to speak on camera - we always had to have permission just to be identified on the news, but now interviews with the STM?

tp1040

Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:45 pm

Face it, if you are not really interested in all things aviation, the show needs drama to bring in regular viewers. Everything was over dramatized. My wife watched and liked it.

Would I have liked more MIA history, ops etc? Sure.

The car crash drama was way over the top, but is had everything. Security, severely injured driver (wink wink nudge nudge), distraught mother, lost dog, lost wife. The only thing missing was a lost child.

flymia

Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:38 pm

Quoting bhmdiversion (Reply 34):

LH gave them permission. What's so hard to believe?
As for the airport employee caring who knows. Maybe it was more because of the cameras or maybe she really does care about the passengers. Honestly IMO the county employees at MIA are fantastic and the aviation dept there is great. It's the airline employees and politicians who give MIA any bad rap.

Type-Rated

Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:55 pm

By showing all the details of the car accident it serves as a reminder that people should always carry some kind of "In Case Of Emergency" number in their wallet or billfold and maybe have an ICE directory listing on their cell phone.

The reason I mention this is that the airport personnel seemed to go way out of their way to locate the people associated with the traffic victim. This is not always the case.

In Texas, troopers will look for the first phone number they come across and call it to let that person know of the accident if the person in the accident is injured and can't respond to them. In some cases it's family in some cases it's not. Several years ago a friend of ours got hit by a drunk driver and was unconscious for a few days. The troopers called the first number they came across in his wallet which happened to be a business card of a potential customer of his business. She was in LA and he was in Houston. The poor woman didn't know what the hell to do as she didn't really know him outside of being a salesperson who had visited her a few days before on a sales call. So she called his company the next morning and let them know what had happened.
After our friend recovered he asked the police why in the world they would call someone in LA rather than local to let them know about the accident. Their response was "We only call the very first number we encounter on the victim and then that's the end of our responsibility." It's just the path of least resistance.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

Viscount724

Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:30 pm

Another clip showing a security sweep of a LH A380 and dumping the lavatories.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=X55YpK-u9Gw

GSPSPOT

Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:05 pm

I don't have a DVR - still have flashbacks of trying to program VCR's to record the programs I wanted to see later! If I can't catch it while it's on, maybe they'll make a DVD of the series... LOL
Finally made it to an airline mecca!

wn676

Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:15 pm

Lauren Stover is obnoxious. Other than that, I think it's a great show.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.

spacecadet

Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:42 am

Quoting flymia (Reply 25):
I can see how you can that feeling with the security stuff but I would not call it "typical" it is a lot better than most garbage on TV.

Why, just because it's set at an airport?

It had all the typical crap "reality" show hallmarks, like for example cameras just happening to be filming on both ends of a cell phone call between two people who aren't even the normal subject of filming. I saw stuff like that all through the episode I was watching but I'm specifically thinking of the call about whether or not the A380 flight would be delayed.

Reality show producers these days just go way too far in trying to manufacture drama, and it's always so obvious when they're doing it. Just film the airport ops; I'll watch that. I have no interest in watching some fake drama that's made for TV unless it involves attractive professional actors who are given well-written lines to read from a properly crafted script. "Reality" shows like this have become nothing but much more cheaply made scripted shows without any point to them.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

gothamspotter

Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:03 am

Quoting spacecadet (Reply 41):
Reality show producers these days just go way too far in trying to manufacture drama, and it's always so obvious when they're doing it. Just film the airport ops; I'll watch that.

So will I, and so would the producers of "Airport 24/7", but TV execs and advertisers know that most people won't.

This show is more like "Cops" than "American Chopper." It may be a little over dramatized, but at least it shows real people doing real jobs that affect all of us. Someone screwing up at the airport can mean that a company loses a ton of money, hundreds of people are delayed or a customer gets hurt, not like "omg, our client has to wait another day for his ugly $20,000 bike."

OB1504

Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:20 am

I thought the show would be a little more about the odds and ends of the airport, but the Security Director of MIA seemed to be very dramatic, and also since when does the airport authority care about getting passengers to their flights. In every airport that I have worked, I have NEVER seen an airport "helper' take the time to help out like that.

Lauren is like that in real life. From my experiences at MIA, using the golf carts to get passengers to their flights on time is a routine occurrence, cameras or not. The way it was edited, though, made it seem like she was trying to get on the Lufthansa flight, when she was clearly flying American.

I would imagine that with the bankruptcy and labor woes, American would rather keep a low profile for the time being.

[Edited 2012-10-03 22:20:49]

lhcvg

Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:59 pm

I also tried to figure out how the station manager of LH was allowed to speak on camera - we always had to have permission just to be identified on the news, but now interviews with the STM?
Quoting flymia (Reply 36):
LH gave them permission. What's so hard to believe?

Flymia is right...Someone at the station manager level would certainly know the LH rules on that and not be willing to risk it over getting on TV without approval.

something

Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:58 pm

One of the most ridiculous shows ever. Maybe I am just used to European documentaries as opposed to dramatized, mindless entertainment, but this show was particularly bad. You didn't learn anything, you didn't gain any actual insights. It was all just ''extremely dangerous'' and there were ''a lot of really close calls''. Especially the ''Arab'' from Eye-raan (Iran) who is a potential Al Qaida terrorist.
..sick of it. -K. Pilkington.

707lvr

Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:24 pm

These women-in-charge types, racing around constantly on the cellphone with an entourage of baby chicks trailing .. tiresome real fast.

something

Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:36 pm

Quoting 707lvr (Reply 46):

These women-in-charge types, racing around constantly on the cellphone with an entourage of baby chicks trailing .. tiresome real fast.

The show focuses entirely on the people at the airport. They show/say virtually nothing about the airport operation itself. The only thing I learned from watching it is that Miami's law enforcement are the finest you can get in the double digit IQ range.
..sick of it. -K. Pilkington.

mayor

Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:44 pm

Quoting something (Reply 45):
Especially the ''Arab'' from Eye-raan (Iran) who is a potential Al Qaida terrorist.

Well, apparently, the courts don't agree with you, as it was stated, at the last of the show, that the "suspected" terrorist was indicted on the charges and is probably spending time in a federal prison, as we speak.

I would think that if you had someone that had three passports, three dates of birth and hid a knife in his shoe could indeed be suspected as a terrorist.

[Edited 2012-10-11 11:50:54]
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

mayor

Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:56 pm

Quoting something (Reply 45):
You didn't learn anything, you didn't gain any actual insights. It was all just ''extremely dangerous'' and there were ''a lot of really close calls''.

What did you expect?? This program isn't aimed at us aviation geeks.....it's aimed at the general public and if they can learn anything from it other than what they usually get from the media, more power to them.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen