roseflyer

Boeing Engineering Union Votes Down Contract

Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:15 pm

http://seattletimes.com/html/busines...2019317469_speea02.html?prmid=4939

It looks like the engineering union at Boeing voted down their new contact by 95%. There are still no calls for a strike but negotiations will continue over smaller raises reduced pension higher health care costs etc.

A strike now by commercial airplanes engineering would not be good for all the new programs. This is a shame after the IAM contract went so smoothly. Boeings VP says higher costs could shift work out of Seattle but we all saw what happens when they do that with the 787.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

tdscanuck

RE: Boeing Engineering Union Votes Down Contract

Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:07 pm

Quoting Roseflyer (Thread starter):
A strike now by commercial airplanes engineering would not be good for all the new programs. This is a shame after the IAM contract went so smoothly.

The IAM contract was bought with 737MAX production. They can't play that card again.

Tom.

Stitch

Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:14 pm

SPEEA have been far less...adversarial...in their relations with Boeing management during negotiations. The only time they struck was in 1999 (for 40 days) and the union themselves say they won't exercise the strike option when it becomes available in 60 days. Boeing can afford to match their previous contracts and I expect they'll do so in terms of wages and pension benefits, but be firmer on medical deductibles.

[Edited 2012-10-02 11:16:10]

roseflyer

Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:27 pm

Quoting Stitch (Reply 2):
Boeing can afford to match their previous contracts and I expect they'll do so in terms of wages and pension benefits, but be firmer on medical deductibles.

I suspect if they had offered that then the proposal probably would have been accepted. Now an adversarial approach has started it is hard to undo.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

Stitch

Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:10 pm

Quoting Roseflyer (Reply 3):
I suspect if they had offered that then the proposal probably would have been accepted. Now an adversarial approach has started it is hard to undo.

Yes, but now when Boeing gives them similar terms, union management can crow how they earned their dues. And Boeing management doesn't show weakness by just giving SPEEA what they want from Day One.

roseflyer

Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:21 am

Quoting Stitch (Reply 4):

Yes, but now when Boeing gives them similar terms, union management can crow how they earned their dues. And Boeing management doesn't show weakness by just giving SPEEA what they want from Day One.

I think everyone would appreciate that. There is no need for a strike and Boeing can afford not to cut their ebgineerings package. I think the engineers know that outsourcing them will result in more projects delayed like the 787.