plateman
Topic Author

Eagle Go Around Tonight @ JFK - Onboard

Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:44 am

Flew in tonight DCA-JFK on AA Eagle 3633 and we had a last minute go around.

Anyone know how I can pull the ATC tapes to listen? I really want to hear the order from Kennedy Approach or Tower

Was quite interesting. Coming in and pilot sounded annoyed once he told us what was up. "We were following their vectors and their speeds and came too close to another arriving aircraft so were ordered to go around at the last minute."

I know this is pretty normal and was exciting, I've always wanted to experience one. The flightaware map is pretty neat too, shows us approach KJFK and lift right back up. Are they as common as I imagine?
Thanks.

Brian
"Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain

jetmatt777
Crew

RE: Eagle Go Around Tonight @ JFK - Onboard

Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:47 am

Quoting plateman (Thread starter):
I know this is pretty normal and was exciting, I've always wanted to experience one. The flightaware map is pretty neat too, shows us approach KJFK and lift right back up. Are they as common as I imagine?

Hundreds of times a day
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

EMBQA

Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:50 am

I'm sure you can find it but it will be far from exciting and interesting.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

plateman
Topic Author

Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:51 am

Quoting Jetmatt777 (Reply 1):
Quoting plateman (Thread starter):

Hundreds of times a day

thx, then looking for the ATC tapes, just to listen for the order, pilots sounded annoyed

KaiGywer
Crew

Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:13 am

http://archive-server.liveatc.net/kjfk/KJFK-Twr-Oct-03-2012-2230Z.mp3

About 4-5 minutes in you hear the first communication with 3633.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

plateman
Topic Author

Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:16 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 4):
http://archive-server.liveatc.net/kjfk/KJFK-Twr-Oct-03-2012-2230Z.mp3

About 4-5 minutes in you hear the first communication with 3633.

Awesome, thanks so much KaiGywer!!

rcair1
Crew

Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:43 pm

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 2):

I'm sure you can find it but it will be far from exciting and interesting.

It is interesting to people on the plane or involved.

Couple of days ago I was tracking AWE482 on Flight aware into PHL because my wife was on it - wanted to know when she landed. I noticed from the log they went to 900 ft, then back up to 3000 and back to land - clear go around.

Pulled the tapes - same thing. The plane ahead was a bit close. Twr asked them "no delay to S3". Few seconds later, the PNF (I presume) on 482 said "Cactus 482 going around". The controller went kind of "Oh- okay, climb to 3000 and when able right turn to ..."

Nobody sounded annoyed- just part of the business. They circled and landed shortly.

Not dramatic or anything - but interesting to me (a pilot) since it was personal. My wife was also very interested - she did notice it - and she is not a pilot or at all involved with aviation.
rcair1