smbukas
Topic Author

Wizz Roll-outs Paid Hand Luggage Policy

Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:41 am

Hello,

after trialing on KTW-LTN route for almost a half a year, "Wizz Air" roll-outs "paid big hand luggage" policy on all the network (except flights, operated by Wizz Air Ukraine) effective on flights Oct24 and later (bookings from today).

So, Wizz Air will price standard hand luggage (56 x 45 x 25 cm) by 10EUR for segment. Briefcases (or luggage 42 x 32 x 25) will remain free on board.

From other side WIzz Air offer for checked baggage (32 kg! for 15-25 EUR depends on season and length of flight) becomes even more attractive and I think many travellers can move to checked bag+briefcase.

This change can really speed-up boarding. Last week I had two flights on Ryanair, both of them were with 170-175 passengers on board and even with a very strict bag check on a gate policy, cabin crew had to spend about 10 minutes on both flights to find space for all cabin luggage.

I know in US Spirit has "pay for overhead bin" policy, but I think this Wizz Air move in Europe is really new thing. How do you think, could industry follow that? Ryanair usually were the first mover on all new restrictions/charges, etc.

JU068

RE: Wizz Roll-outs Paid Hand Luggage Policy

Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:55 am

So what was it like before? You couldn't check in any luggage heavier than 20 kilos or..?

smbukas
Topic Author

Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:01 am

Quoting ju068 (Reply 1):
So what was it like before? You couldn't check in any luggage heavier than 20 kilos or..?

No, check-in baggage policy was always like this.

alm1

Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:09 am

I do not think it will be a succces on leisure routes. It may have worked on a VFR route like KTW-LTN.
When flying for a weekend two pieceses of luggage is a nuicance to carry as is spending precious time waiting for a checked luggage. Also when flying with a small backpack any spontanous purchases (like shoes or somethink like that) may cause a lot of trouble at the airport. The way I see it the only way then would be to pay 20 eur at the airport which many travellers would be very reluctant to do.

Speedbird555

Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:36 pm

It was only a matter of time before this became standard across all Wizz routes once they announced the trial. Has anyone experience first hand the improvements that Wizz claim this beneficial policy brings? I would imagine that it's even more chaotic at the gate when these restrictions are applied with dozens of pax having oversized bags and claiming they were unaware. Wizz have even posted a video which claims all the benefits to be had, yet I'm finding it very hard to believe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXg_NEAh6eo

I would love to see the supporting evidence here but without any hard facts, fail to see how this benefits anyone but the airline. On face value, it feels like just another novel way to squeeze more money out of the consumer whilst claiming they are doing them (and the planet) a favour. Makes me feel sad. Odds on the £4.50 discount lasting beyond Christmas anyone?