Pe@rson
Topic Author

EZY Adds MAN/EDI-KEF

Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:42 pm

Complementing LGW-KEF, EZY will fly EDI-KEF and MAN-KEF. Both will be 2x weekly, with EDI starting on the 14th February and MAN 21st March. One-way fares for EDI-KEF start from £24.99 including taxes but excluding card fee, and £28.99 from MAN.

Source: www.easyjet.com
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

something

RE: EZY Adds MAN/EDI-KEF

Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:17 pm

What is it with all the traffic to Iceland these days? DL from JFK, Iceland Air expanding, WOWair or whatever their low cost carrier's name was, Air Berlin expanding there, Swiss/Edelweiss etc.?

I would not hate if EasyJet extended their LGW-KEF to somewhere near BOS or NYC.
..sick of it. -K. Pilkington.

Damian

Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:41 pm

Quoting Pe@rson (Thread starter):
Complementing LGW-KEF, EZY will fly EDI-KEF and MAN-KEF. Both will be 2x weekly, with EDI starting on the 14th February and MAN 21st March.

Good news, however I believe EZY's existing Iceland-London service operates from LTN rather than LGW?

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:48 pm

Quoting damian (Reply 2):
I believe EZY's existing Iceland-London service operates from LTN rather than LGW?

Indeed it does. Obviously I only put it so you had a reason to reply.  
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

normie999

Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:04 pm

Actually is it not LTN-KEF (or Lidl-Selfridges Food Hall to translate the contrast between the two airports into a retail experience)?

I thought Bristol or Belfast might get some EZY KEF routes before MAN and EDI.

SCQ83

Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:33 pm

Quoting something (Reply 1):
What is it with all the traffic to Iceland these days? DL from JFK, Iceland Air expanding, WOWair or whatever their low cost carrier's name was, Air Berlin expanding there, Swiss/Edelweiss etc.?

Their economy is quickly recovering after their 2008 collapse: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/.../iceland-gdp-idUSL6E8K77ZK20120907 Icelanders travel (or used to travel) a lot.

International tourism is growing in Iceland, particularly the number of American tourists: http://www.visitreykjavik.is/PortalD...l/VisitRek_Newsletter.feb.2012.pdf Don't forget Iceland is also way cheaper these days (their currency lost a lot of value) than before the crisis, when Iceland was lubriciously expensive for the average American/European tourist. And it is still quite exotic for most Americans and Europeans, their main targets.

Icelandair is a hub airline with new "niche" additions (ANC, DEN, SEA) that seem to work pretty well for them. They also market themselves quite aggressively (at least in Boston and NYC) with their "Only 5 hours from BOS/NYC" (or whatever it is) and their free-stopovers in USA-EU flights. I certainly know a bunch of people who have lately traveled with Icelandair for holidays, stopping there in their way to the other side of the Atlantic... or even just for a long weekend.

[Edited 2012-10-04 11:41:21]

by738

Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:47 pm

Quoting something (Reply 1):
What is it with all the traffic to Iceland these days?

Iceland Express are dropping their EDI-KEF service.

SurfandSnow

Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:32 pm

Iceland was notoriously expensive before the financial crisis. Now that it has become much more affordable, it seems many are taking advantage of the opportunity to go there!
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!