BlueBus
Topic Author

Alaska And Delta Have Big Announcement In SEA Mon

Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:23 am

Looks like Delta and Alaska will announce something big on Monday. Think it will be a merger? Lots of rumors about that. I also heard that Delta might base their 717s in Seattle. Could provide some interesting new routes that slot between AS 737s and Q400s.

http://www.airlinereporter.com/2012/...s-alaska-and-delta-up-to-in-seatt/

Prost

RE: Alaska And Delta Have Big Announcement In SEA Mon

Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:30 am

Joint venture? DL being the sole domestic codeshare for AS?

I don't have an idea. This is kind of out of left field. I'm guessing 200 posts by Monday Morning.

compensateme

Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:37 am

EDIT: In the interest of fair disclosure, it certainly appears the OP is affiliated with the aforementioned website. As of yet, AS has not issued a press release but I suspect the OP received a copy of one that will be published tomorrow.

- Unless the author received a copy of a press releases intended for tomorrow morning, Alaska did not issue a press release today.

- DL does not "base" aircraft at specific hubs. The 717 were acquired for a specific purpose - to back-fill capacity currently being operated with legions of CRJ, specifically at ATL & DTW. These aircraft will not be making appearances at SEA anytime soon.

- We can safely rule out a merger, since -- well, those types of things don't work this way.

- At best it's an expanded code/revenue share agreement and/or new service to PVG.

[Edited 2012-10-04 20:42:07]
Gordo:like this streaming video,Sky magazine,meals for sale at mealtime-make customer satisfaction rank so high at UA

BlueBus
Topic Author

Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:41 am

Quoting CompensateMe (Reply 2):
Alaska did not issue a press release today.

I am guessing they released at least one about the Salmon-30-Salmon II today. Plus I know the site is pretty legit.

- At best it's an expanded code/revenue share agreement and/or new service to PVG.

Is that really worth both CEO's making a joint announcement? I would think it would be more than that.

BlueBus
Topic Author

Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:45 am

EDIT: In the interest of fair disclosure, it certainly appears the OP is affiliated with the aforementioned website. As of yet, AS has not issued a press release but I suspect the OP received a copy of one that will be published tomorrow.

I emailed the site owner to get clarification. I know he has an A.net account, but doesn't use it much.

[Edited 2012-10-04 20:47:32]

rgreenftm

Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:54 am

Quote:
Today Alaska Airlines sent out a press release stating that their CEO, Brad Tilden, and Delta Air Lines CEO, Richard Anderson, will make a joint announcement on Monday about, “new service, product enhancements in Seattle.” What does that mean exactly? I am not sure.

What press release? I subscribe to Alaska Press release, and I never received one, nor do I see anything posted in the newsroom of alaskaair.com

I'm inclined to dismiss this, until something comes from Alaska and/or Delta regarding this "announcement".

compensateme

Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:59 am

Quoting BlueBus (Reply 3):
I am guessing they released at least one about the Salmon-30-Salmon II today. Plus I know the site is pretty legit.

Neither AS nor DL's website have any press releases in regards to a joint announcement Monday. A quick web search yielded only the referenced site as supporting it. I agree the site is legit ... but you've begun numerous threads linking back to it, and nearly all were started moments after the linked articles were posted. Thus, it's reasonable for me to conclude you have some type of affiliation with it.

Quoting rgreenftm (Reply 5):
I'm inclined to dismiss this, until something comes from Alaska and/or Delta regarding this "announcement".

I'd expect a press release in the morning. In the past, the OP/site linked to has demonstrated access to privileged information before it became public.
Gordo:like this streaming video,Sky magazine,meals for sale at mealtime-make customer satisfaction rank so high at UA

N62NA

Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:07 am

Quoting Prost (Reply 1):
DL being the sole domestic codeshare for AS?

I thought AA codeshares with AS up and down the west coast?

airlinereporter

Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:09 am

Hey folks, I am the origional author of the story. I apologize, it was not a press release, but it was a media adivsory that was sent earlier today. Hence why it has not shown up on AS or DL website, nor in people's inboxes if they are signed up for press releases. I have updated my story.

According to the advisory, the announcement will be made at 9:30am PT on Monday the 8th at SEA.

I have reached out to quite a few of my inside connections at AS and DL and no one seems to know what this announcement will mean.

Prost

Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:09 am

I was just guessing. Nothing more, nothing less. (this is in response to post #7)

[Edited 2012-10-04 21:10:17]

airlinereporter

Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:11 am

Quoting CompensateMe (Reply 6):
Thus, it's reasonable for me to conclude you have some type of affiliation with it.

Going to have to ask Dean (aka BlueBus) about that one. He is a fan and we have met a few times in Seattle, but he is not a writer or connected to my blog directly. I appriciate the support.

David

FSDan

Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:32 am

I would also guess that SEA-PVG will be announced, but there is definitely going to be more to this than just that. Maybe one or two other new routes and increased cooperation of some kind. They definitely wouldn't have both CEOs just for a few new routes.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

compensateme

Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:47 am

Quoting FSDan (Reply 11):
I would also guess that SEA-PVG will be announced, but there is definitely going to be more to this than just that. Maybe one or two other new routes and increased cooperation of some kind. They definitely wouldn't have both CEOs just for a few new routes.

You'd think a media advisory for a "major announcement" would drum on speculation, but there's no evidence of such announcement on the Internet (not that I'm disputing it exists, as the site referenced has been credible, it just seems strange).

One thing's for certain: rumored "big" Delta announcements in Seattle have replaced the rumored "big" AirTran announcements of a.net yesteryear.

BoeingGuy

Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:50 am

Quoting N62NA (Reply 7):
Quoting Prost (Reply 1):
DL being the sole domestic codeshare for AS?

I thought AA codeshares with AS up and down the west coast?

Why would AS drop their largest code-share partner? Others have said that AA, not DL, is AS's largest and most lucrative code-share partner. Not sure if that is still true, but AS and AA have a pretty large partnership.

Given that AS's business model is partially based on strong code shares across two major alliances, it doesn't seem like a good long-term move to either give one side up (if they dropped AA, they'd probably have to drop QF and LA too - BA is non-existent as far as I'm concerned). Same goes for merging with DL. You've then just taken out a portion of AS's successful business model.

Let's hope it's SEA-PVG, or maybe even SEA-LHR with AS connections.

Prost

Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:56 am

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 13):

Again, it was just a WAG. Not based on any inside information whatsoever.

FlyASAGuy2005

Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:57 am

Quoting CompensateMe (Reply 12):
You'd think a media advisory for a "major announcement" would drum on speculation, but there's no evidence of such announcement on the Internet (not that I'm disputing it exists, as the site referenced has been credible, it just seems strange).

One thing's for certain: rumored "big" Delta announcements in Seattle have replaced the rumored "big" AirTran announcements of a.net yesteryear.

Just by reading what the OP said and his friend, this was a pre-curser so the announcement for the announcement (funny) will be made tomorrow.

Because it is being made on Monday morning, they have to let the news outlets know before the weekend.
What gets measured gets done.

compensateme

Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:07 am

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 15):
ust by reading what the OP said and his friend, this was a pre-curser so the announcement for the announcement (funny) will be made tomorrow.

Because it is being made on Monday morning, they have to let the news outlets know before the weekend.

Well, in reply 8 he claimed it had already been sent out early Thursday.

spiritair97

Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:09 am

In response to everybody who is saying that itwill probably be more than a new route announcement, with whome I completely agree, could AS possibly be moving their NYC operations over to JFK? It would make more sense as they codeshare with both DL and AA and the codeshare with UA is now gone. Just a guess, though.

Also, I'm thinking it could be some kind of joint venture, as well.

"Let's hope it's SEA-PVG, or maybe even SEA-LHR with AS connections."

Hey, stranger things have happened! What would they operate the route with? Isn't their 764 fleet stretched pretty thin as it is? Or could they use a 763?

gmcc

Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:09 am

Well the site does say produce enhancements. Two things come to mind for AS.

1) The work AS and the Port of Seattle are going to be doing in the North Satellite. I think the image in the link below is what they are going for.

http://www.hok.com/design/type/aviat...ttle-tacoma-international-airport/

2) AS in set to get the first of their new 900ER's in the next couple of weeks. They are introducing new economy and First seat on the 900er's. Shown at the bottom of page one in the link below.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/seahawks7757/

As for DL I do not have anything.

CONTACREW

Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:13 am

Interesting to see that the AS 739ERs will be N4XXAS registrations, rather then a continuation of the N3XXAS registrations currently used on the -900s.
Flight Attendants prepare doors for departure, cross check verify straps standby for all call

slcdeltarumd11

Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:22 am

Not that i doubt the thread starter but lets wait to see something OFFICIAL......this site has made it hard to belive anything. It could be something very minor or something huge but i need to see something official to even discuss hypotheticals at this point of a.net

EA CO AS

Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:21 am

I KNOW NOTHING! NOTHING!!!
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

dlramp4life

Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:57 am

Going way into left field here but could it be DL picking up ground handling for AS stations that have mainline DL employees????

We shall see what Monday brings
SEA Ramp, wettest place on earth

FlyASAGuy2005

Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:02 am

Quoting CompensateMe (Reply 16):
Well, in reply 8 he claimed it had already been sent out early Thursday.
Quoting dlramp4life (Reply 22):
Going way into left field here but could it be DL picking up ground handling for AS stations that have mainline DL employees????

We shall see what Monday brings

That won't warrent the bosses of both airlines. Stuff like that is very "dime a dozen". DL employees already handle AS flights anyway. EWR, MSP, ATL..

JetAmericaS80

Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:07 am

Possibly AS augmenting SEA-SLC and ANC-SLC? I know that SLC is on Alaska's "to do" list...

JetA
The Best Buy in the Sky, Treat yourself to Jet America!

jumpjets

Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:13 am

As Oneworld are due to make an announcement in NYC on Monday also it must be that DL as AS are joining OW.   

smpplnohow2fly

Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:51 am

Horizon taking on some of the 64/76 seat flying?
The beginning is the end is the beginning

coronado

Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:03 pm

A media advisory being issued advising the press that both CEO's will be together at Seattle for an announcement implies a strategic rather than operational link up, IMHO. I suspect they will be announcing creation of a full domestic with international hub in Seattle with fully integrated schedules between Alaska and Delta along with some new transpacific routes and perhaps a LHR route. I also see a JV between Delta and Seattle for operations to Hawaii so they can right size equipment, seasonally, between west coast airports and the islands. Right now a Delta-Alaska JV on Hawaii rights in my opinion would have no problem getting approvals for a Hawaii service JV due to the number of competitors serving HI so the two airlines may as well work on rationalizing capacity.
The Original Coronado: First CV jet flights RG CV 990 July 1965; DL CV 880 July 1965; Spantax CV990 Feb 1973

ERJ170

Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:00 pm

Well, for my own personal reason, I hope they also announce RDU-SEA service.. long overdue.. but I digress..
Aiming High and going far..

NWAESC

Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:09 pm

Quoting dlramp4life (Reply 22):

That crossed my mind too...

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 23):
That won't warrent the bosses of both airlines. Stuff like that is very "dime a dozen". DL employees already handle AS flights anyway. EWR, MSP, ATL..

True, but not in one of AS' hubs. If this were to come to pass, my guess is that it would be one piece of a larger announcement.

Quoting jumpjets (Reply 25):
As Oneworld are due to make an announcement in NYC on Monday also it must be that DL as AS are joining OW.

Lol.

Seriously, though; with the banter about DL & KE deepening their connection, maybe AS is the 3rd part of that?

Obviously just guesses...
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

Bobloblaw

Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:42 pm

Quoting BlueBus (Thread starter):
Looks like Delta and Alaska will announce something big on Monday. Think it will be a merger? Lots of rumors about that. I also heard that Delta might base their 717s in Seattle. Could provide some interesting new routes that slot between AS 737s and Q400s.

No to merger and certainly no to 717s being based in SEA. Why in the world would AS be partner to DL putting mountains of new capacity in SEA? I doubt that AS exclusively will codeshare with DL, as it does nothing for AS.

compensateme

Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:43 pm

A media advisory issued more than 24-hours ago advising that the CEO's of Delta & Alaska were to meet for an announcement would surely have garnered some attention in the media & financial market watchdogs by now. I've done some more digging and there's zero evidence that an advisory was even issued.

Quoting Coronado (Reply 27):
I suspect they will be announcing creation of a full domestic with international hub in Seattle with fully integrated schedules between Alaska and Delta along with some new transpacific routes and perhaps a LHR route. I also see a JV between Delta and Seattle for operations to Hawaii so they can right size equipment, seasonally, between west coast airports and the islands. Right now a Delta-Alaska JV on Hawaii rights in my opinion would have no problem getting approvals for a Hawaii service JV due to the number of competitors serving HI so the two airlines may as well work on rationalizing capacity.

If AS were to develop a relationship of that scope with DL, surely they'd have to drop their agreements with AA -- and I'm skeptical that will happen anytime soon. Domestic JV don't exist.

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 28):
Well, for my own personal reason, I hope they also announce RDU-SEA service.. long overdue.. but I digress..

I think you're onto something: the CEOs of DL and AS are meeting in SEA on Monday and have issued a media advisory about it -- because they intend on opening up SEA-RDU!!! Each airline will operate the route 3x per week. DL will use 763 for its flights, and AS 739 for its.

[Edited 2012-10-05 08:11:49]

Bobloblaw

Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:46 pm

Quoting CompensateMe (Reply 31):

Youre probably right, plus a JV would require either DOT or DOJ approval. They could do that of course.

avek00

Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:01 pm

Quoting Coronado (Reply 27):
I also see a JV between Delta and Seattle for operations to Hawaii so they can right size equipment, seasonally, between west coast airports and the islands.

This is not going to happen, DOT and DOJ have long made clear that antitrust immunity will NOT be granted for domestic-focused cooperation by air carriers.

The prohibition on immunized cooperation in the US domestic market is wide-ranging. One example -- US air carriers granted ATI for international flying must take steps to ensure that they do not improperly share proprietary data with other US-based partners on pricing relating to the domestic legs of international journeys, since that data can affect pricing in the US domestic market.

The only way to cooperate more closely from a strategic standpoint, outside of expanding arms-length codesharing, co-location/usage of facilities, and perhaps bringing AS fully into SkyMiles, is to put forth a proposal to merge.
Live life to the fullest.

syncmaster

Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:36 pm

Quoting avek00 (Reply 33):
The only way to cooperate more closely from a strategic standpoint, outside of expanding arms-length codesharing, co-location/usage of facilities, and perhaps bringing AS fully into SkyMiles, is to put forth a proposal to merge.

And except for the later, I question if that would require both CEO's to announce.

vatveng

Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:24 pm

With Delta currently the only U.S. member of Skyteam, could this be announcing that Alaska is going to join the alliance?

KBJCpilot

Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:37 pm

Delta will be giving Alaska 2- 744's to use between SEA and HNL for the Hawaii flights. I heard it from a pilot who heard it from a mechanic who heard it from a janitor who emtpties the trash in the executive offices in Seattle.   
Samsonite, I was way off!

psa1011

Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:44 pm

Why didn't American dive into their alliance with Alaska like Delta has? From what I recall, AA discontinued SEA-NRT, and have no idea why.

Bobloblaw

Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:44 pm

Quoting vatveng (Reply 35):
With Delta currently the only U.S. member of Skyteam, could this be announcing that Alaska is going to join the alliance?

That sounds like a reasonable guess. Not sure if AS would still then codeshare with AA. I think they would want to.

Airport

Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:54 pm

At this point could it be possible that DL would move domestic operations/int'l departures to the North Satellite? Or is that out of the question? I don't know if there'd be enough gates to go around but it would certainly seem to fit the bill of this big announcement. Other than that, I'm at a loss.

FlyASAGuy2005

Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:58 pm

I was trying to be optimistic but this is looking more and more like baloney.

CONTACREW

Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:59 pm

Quoting Airport (Reply 39):
At this point could it be possible that DL would move domestic operations/int'l departures to the North Satellite? Or is that out of the question? I don't know if there'd be enough gates to go around but it would certainly seem to fit the bill of this big announcement. Other than that, I'm at a loss.

Not likely. At the moment I believe only N10 is a widebody capable gate, and once AS N to themselves, the plan is to add jetways to the current express gates of N12 & N13. I think they are also going to try to add another gate or 2 somewhere in between the existing gates.
Flight Attendants prepare doors for departure, cross check verify straps standby for all call

airlinereporter

Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:12 pm

Quoting CompensateMe (Reply 31):
A media advisory issued more than 24-hours ago advising that the CEO's of Delta & Alaska were to meet for an announcement would surely have garnered some attention in the media & financial market watchdogs by now. I've done some more digging and there's zero evidence that an advisory was even issued.

I have talked to both Alaska and Delta PR teams and have confirmed the advisory is correct. I have no idea how wide spread the advisory went out (ie only local Seattle media), and I can't tell you why others are not reporting on it.

I 100% stand by that this is a legit story. I have no problem admitting I am incorrect when proven wrong.

David

Bobloblaw

Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:23 pm

One possibility is that Horizon might start flying for DL on the west coast and SLC using DH4s.

drgmobile

Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:37 pm

I don't think it could be a merger since, as publicly traded companies the duty to timely disclose material news would preclude waiting until Monday.

Quoting Bobloblaw (Reply 43):
One possibility is that Horizon might start flying for DL on the west coast and SLC using DH4s.

Now this would make a lot of sense. I'd put money on this being it.

coronado

Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:39 pm

It

Quoting AirlineReporter (Reply 42):
I 100% stand by that this is a legit story.

This has to be a strategic announcement between Delta and Alaska, for Richard Anderson to show in Seattle on a Monday morning. Relocating terminals, or a significant ground handling contracts, etc are operational related.and probably would be handled at Delta by someone reporting to someone reporting to Ed Bastian. If it were a Skyteam related announcement I don't think RA would be out there since he is no longer on the Skyteam supervisory board. If an airline the size of Alaska were to join Skyteam, then the chairman of SkyTeam Leo Van Wijk would certainly be going to Seattle not Richard Anderson. (Having said that, an Alaska tie up would be huge news for Skyteam).

Maybe a Golden Share with Delta taking a stake in Alaska, similar to what Northwest had for a long time in Continental along with a formal strategic tie up to fully develop a joint domestic/international hub at Seattle??
The Original Coronado: First CV jet flights RG CV 990 July 1965; DL CV 880 July 1965; Spantax CV990 Feb 1973

DeltaMD90

Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:44 pm

I think it's probably gonna be something important, not just a route, but I doubt it would be a merger or something. Probably just some increased cooperation. I'd say they might expand with them in LAX but they are meeting in SEA so it probably has something to do with SEA or just AS in general. I highly doubt it is a merger, and even if they wanted to merge, I think they'd move a lot closer to each other before tying the knot.

But that being said, there are many reasons why a DL+AS merger wouldn't be that good. Sure, DL could definitely benefit from it, but it would be taking only some valuable parts while a good chunk or majority would not work under DL's model and have to be gutted
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

syncmaster

Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:47 pm

Quoting drgmobile (Reply 44):
Now this would make a lot of sense. I'd put money on this being it.

I agree this would make a lot of sense however this raises two questions for me:

1. Does Horizon have enough slack in their fleet to handle this?

2. Would this warrant Richard Anderson showing up?

OzarkD9S

Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:48 pm

Quoting vatveng (Reply 35):

Well, there is the new SkyTeam "associate" platform, or whatever the official designation is. AS could very well be joining ST as an associate, and under that scenario I see no reason why the AS/AA relationship couldn't continue. That's the idea behind the new ST membership level, right?
Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL

syncmaster

Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:51 pm

Quoting drgmobile (Reply 44):
I don't think it could be a merger since, as publicly traded companies the duty to timely disclose material news would preclude waiting until Monday.

Another thought, they could still make an announcement before then and have a press event scheduled for Monday. But my guess is still on something short of a merger and/or SkyTeam membership.