Topic Author

TSA “Freeze” Security Drill Caught On Camera

Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:09 pm

Caught on camera, TSA security freeze drill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km0awE1Q2HA&feature=player_embedded

EMBQA

RE: TSA “Freeze” Security Drill Caught On Camera

Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:15 pm

This was discussed a few weeks back. TSA came out and said there is no such thing as a freeze drill nor is it an approved thing and was looking into it
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

QANTAS747-438

Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:19 pm

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 1):

What do you mean that the TSA doesnt do the freeze drill? They do it at LAX numerous times per day.
My posts/replies are strictly my opinion and not that of any company, organization, or Southwest Airlines.

rmoore7734
Topic Author

Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:25 pm

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 1):

This was discussed a few weeks back. TSA came out and said there is no such thing as a freeze drill nor is it an approved thing and was looking into it

The local FOX news station in Phoenix reported on it.

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/story/19...2012/09/30/tsa-drill-at-sky-harbor

ikramerica

Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:32 pm

I've been in one. It's annoying. But I see it like a fire drill. Needs to be practiced.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

rmoore7734
Topic Author

Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:42 pm

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 4):

Love it or hate it (I hate it) according to QANTAS747-438 he has seen that happen several times in 1 day. If they had fire drills several times a day that would be quite disruptive.

LimaFoxTango

Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:00 pm

Happened to me twice in SJU. Couldnt quite figure out what was really going on. As said in the video, it only lasted a few minutes.
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.

USAIRWAYS321

Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:47 pm

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 4):
I've been in one. It's annoying. But I see it like a fire drill. Needs to be practiced.

Which aspect needs to be practiced - idiots telling people not to move, or passengers standing still? Neither part is practice-worthy.

JetAmericaS80

Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:16 am

....I've screwed it up a couple times, prancing on through, too busy checking my pairing on my iPhone, in order to make sure I can make a Starbucks run before my next flight. TSA hates me...   

JetA
The Best Buy in the Sky, Treat yourself to Jet America!

AirframeAS

Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:35 am

Why does the TSA do this, if true? They are security checkpoint agents, not airport police. WTH?

Their badge doesn't mean diddly squat to me once I pass through security. From that point on, it's the airport police I deal with and take instructions from. They are the ones who enforce the law, not the security screeners.

The TSA do not carry a gun nor carry handcuffs. They are not there to arrest anyone, that's the airport police job, hence why you see a cop at the end of the checkpoint.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

ikramerica

Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:38 am

Quoting USAIRWAYS321 (Reply 7):

I've only seen it at a checkpoint. I'd probably ignore them if I was already past security.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

rmoore7734
Topic Author

Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:40 am

Wonder what would happen if a deaf person cannot hear the freeze command and the TSA does not know they are hearing impaired ?

AirframeAS

Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:47 am

Quoting rmoore7734 (Reply 11):

Wonder what would happen if a deaf person cannot hear the freeze command and the TSA does not know they are hearing impaired ?

I would keeping on walking. They touch me, they deal with the airport police on assault charges. But that's just me...

Aesma

Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:49 am

I was also thinking about foreigners not speaking good English and not expecting this.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

rmoore7734
Topic Author

Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:53 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 12):
I would keeping on walking. They touch me, they deal with the airport police on assault charges. But that's just me...

Bravo, I would applaud that, and i wonder when the general public would all take that stance and say enough is enough

jporterfi

Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:00 am

This happened to me in 2010 in ATL. Quite unnerving to say the least. I looked around to see if anyone had a gun and was sprinting toward the escalators down to the train! Once we figured out it was a drill everything went back to normal, but I wish their was a was TSA could do it without scaring the crap out of passengers!

rmoore7734
Topic Author

Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:00 am

Quoting Aesma (Reply 13):
I was also thinking about foreigners not speaking good English and not expecting this.

Suppose they will end up with an 11,000 dollar fine & a little jail time (that will teach those foreigners). No wonder were scaring away the foreign tourists to this country.

Airport Pat-Downs: TSA Says it Can Fine You for Backing Out
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/walki...ine/story?id=12215171#.UG-B2JjBEqM

AirframeAS

Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:10 am

Quoting rmoore7734 (Reply 16):

But have they fined anyone to date yet? My guess is no.

rmoore7734
Topic Author

Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:15 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 17):
But have they fined anyone to date yet? My guess is no.

it is an old article but apparently they collected 1 million in fines
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7806697/...an-cost-you-airports/#.UG-Fu5jBEqM

AirframeAS

Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:52 am

Quoting rmoore7734 (Reply 18):

Thats at the checkpoint itself, not out on the concourses though.

plateman

Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:03 am

Experienced it at Phoenix too after landing ... when walking past a checkpoint they stopped everyone, with people backing up onto the moving walkways, being dangerous.

I was walking with a former senior ATC person at PHX who I met on plane and was just as confused as me.
"Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain

rmoore7734
Topic Author

Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:10 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 19):
Thats at the checkpoint itself, not out on the concourses though.

Well in this article http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/story/19...2012/09/30/tsa-drill-at-sky-harbor it is quoted as saying

"At least one passenger FOX 10 spoke with said people were scared when the drill took place in the middle of a terminal last week, past the security checkpoint."

So i figure the potential for a fine would also be possible if ignoring the TSA. in this example

PHX787

Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:29 am

We talked about this in the PHX aviation thread a while back. It pissed a lot of people off.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

Maverick623

Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:32 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 9):

Their badge doesn't mean diddly squat to me once I pass through security. From that point on, it's the airport police I deal with and take instructions from. They are the ones who enforce the law, not the security screeners.

TSA can screen you anytime at or past the checkpoint.

Quoting jporterfi (Reply 15):
but I wish their was a was TSA could do it without scaring the crap out of passengers!

Ah... but that's the whole point. It's nothing more than obedience training. Scare the people into doing anything for security.

TSA Says it Can Fine You for Backing Out

The TSA says a lot of things that aren't true. Legally, there is nothing they can do to detain you if you decide you've had enough and walk away, even if they don't have your information. Even airport cops can't do anything if you simply walk away, because you have committed no crime.

Google John Tyner. He was repeatedly threatened by the FSD at SAN for refusing a pat-down and leaving, yet nothing came of it.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

USAIRWAYS321

Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:01 am

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 23):
TSA can screen you anytime at or past the checkpoint.

Not arguing with you, but a screening after the checkpoint is a self-admission from the TSA that they didn't do a good enough job to begin with.

sccutler

Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:09 am

I would modestly suggest that we all, each and every one of us, have a duty to vigorously and openly ignore foolishness like this.

A TSA agent tells me to freeze, I tell him to mind his own damned business.

You don't like what I am doing, let's get us a proper, sworn peace officer and have a conversation about probable cause.

These people, and the agency they represent, are utterly, profoundly and perhaps irretrievably out of control.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

shufflemoomin

Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:59 am

No wonder were scaring away the foreign tourists to this country.

It's probably more to do with having to submit all kinds of information about yourself beforehand, explain where you're staying on the first night, being met off the plane by a surly guy dressed in black with a gun asking you questions like a criminal and taking your picture and fingerprints. "Welcome" to the US, my butt. I simply don't visit as often as I used to.

mcdu

Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:26 am

One of my many beefs with the TSA is the secondary ID verification at the gates. I would love to know how many people they have ever caught in one these checks without proper ID. If they do then as was mentioned earlier, isn't that an admission that they aren't doing the job correctly at the checkpoint.

I do hope there is someone in politics willing to dismantle this obtuse organization. Lack of common sense and a hiring track record causes great concern.

sweair

Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:39 am

Until US lets go of its silly trauma about security I did my last visit 2003, even before that the immigration procedure was a uncomfortable experience.

I will rather spend my money elsewhere, I liked US like it was 20 years ago, the current US I will stay far away from. The land of the free...yeah right! The land of the manipulated!

The violence in the US outside of the Airport is where more security is needed.

PanHAM

Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:28 am

Quoting shufflemoomin (Reply 26):
being met off the plane by a surly guy dressed in black with a gun asking you questions like a criminal and taking your picture and fingerprints

yes, and then, when making your next flight, you are treated like a criminal again.

OK, as a foreigner, I am not supposed to understand "freeze". I am not supposed to know what it means. I simply don't care.

As a free person, I am not obliged to follow a "command". Such commands are intended for criminals on the run, in a prison but not in a public airport.

It is OK at check points to open ypour luggage, put laptops separates, take off belts, taking off shoes is already questionable since there are machines for screening shoes available. I have to undergo all that, OK, but I am a customer, i even pay for the service and I have to be treated with respect and dignity.

Yelling "freeze" and expecting the herd of sheep to stand still is humiliating and a disgrace for the USA that they treat their subjects and foreigners as well like they where North koreans. At least in that country they know the difference how to treat guests.