factsonly
Topic Author

AF/KLM And ETIHAD/Air Berlin Parnership Announced

Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:12 am

AF/KLM and ETIHAD/Air Berlin have announced an extensive codeshare partnership today:

http://corporate.airfrance.com/en/pr...rberlin-announce-new-partnerships/

Extensive codesharing through AUH, AMS, CDG and BER.

LHRFlyer

RE: AF/KLM And ETIHAD/Air Berlin Parnership Announced

Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:15 am

At this stage, it's not very extenstive at all.

There may be reasons (eg regulatory) why so few destinations are currently included in the codeshare agreement and there isn’t parity in the codeshares offered to passengers of Air France and KLM and these may just be tentative steps in advance of deeper co-operation but, compared to the hype of a ground-breaking deal and the Qantas/Emirates tie-up, this is a bit underwhelming.

TeamintheSky

Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:25 am

Quoting LHRFlyer (Reply 1):
this is a bit underwhelming.

I completely agree LHRFlyer. With AF losing it's partner in Australia flights, I expected this to be much more extensive with AUH becoming the new SIN for AF. However, it doesn't seem that any of Australia made it into the agreement (at least not yet).

I was even speculating that it would be so extensive that it would be a precurser to EY joining SkyTeam, but in reality it isn't anywhere close.

Kind Regards,

Team
Since 2010: DL, KL, AF, WX, IG, FR , FL, U2, AK, BA, OK, UX, VS, VN, K6, AT, US, AY, BE, EI, LG, AZ, 9W, SG, AA, JL, W6

ozglobal

Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:01 am

Quoting TeamInTheSky (Reply 2):
I completely agree LHRFlyer. With AF losing it's partner in Australia flights, I expected this to be much more extensive with AUH becoming the new SIN for AF. However, it doesn't seem that any of Australia made it into the agreement (at least not yet).

KLM is quoted as offering the MEL and SYD connection. AF will probably announce the same closer to the end of the QF tie-up in Mar 2013.
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

AIR MALTA

Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:18 pm

I hope it is not the beginning of the end of AB in One World...
Next flights : BRU-ZRH-CAI (LX)/ BRU-FCO-TLV (AZ)

r2rho

Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:27 pm

Interesting (and expected) development. Summing it up, AF-KL get access to several Asian destinations via AUH, while EY gets access to several secondary EU destinations vial CDG / AMS. With AB, AF-KL get access to Eastern European destinations via TXL, while AB gets access to secondary French destinations via CDG and to secondary UK destinations via AMS.

Quoting AIR MALTA (Reply 4):

This too I wonder... so far it is only some codeshares, but who knows. While OW would be of no help to AB for the French destinations, they are effectively bypassing BA to the UK by using KL at AMS...

A388

Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:35 pm

Quoting AIR MALTA (Reply 4):

Interesting question, AB just joint OneWorld but EY owns a big part of AB to my knowledge so if EY will join SkyTeam what will happen to AB's tie-up with OneWorld?

A388

LifelinerOne

Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:40 pm

Will this mean that Etihad will be starting flights to Amsterdam?

Cheers!   
Only Those Who Sleep Don't Make Mistakes

Focker

Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:49 pm

Quoting LifelinerOne (Reply 7):

That would seem to make more sense than flying to BRU, IMHO.

A388

Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:00 pm

Quoting LifelinerOne (Reply 7):

Cheers!

That would be nice but the article states that KL and AF passengers will be able to connect on EY's network from Abu Dhabi so for the time being EY themselves will not be flying to AMS. Maybe it's a future route and that goes for the other Middle Eastern carriers as well. AMS in my opinion is one of the few main gateways in Europe that is not yet served by all three major Middle Eastern carriers (EK, EY, QR). I think over time that will change. The same goes for MIA in my opinion.

A388

PanHAM

Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:01 pm

I do unerstand that EY wanted the feed from BER and the additional feed from DUS as well, this gives some good options for India and far east / Australia traffic.

But what can AF and KL gain from AB? And vice versa? The best option where this "Eastern Eruope" traffic could gain wpould be VIE, not BER.

Scheduling to European points makes sense with early morning and late afternoon departures, making same day trips possible. That leaves out connecting European traffic. I said in the other thread that both AF and KL comb the German market since 6 decades. What could bring AB to them they don't already have?

This whole set-up makes little tonon-sense.

IIRC AB just invested some 40 Million € in joining OW. Congratulations, unless OW and Sky Team merge that was money down the drain.

Alliances make sense in long distance hub to hib traffic as well as hub to spoke and in European traffic it makes sense in bundling flights from secondary and tertiary airports to a hub and disztributing that out of there to secondary and tertiary airports. That's what KLM does successfully without AB, to some extend AF as well.

The primary airports between them have direbt flights.

Where's the beef for AB, more where's the gravy?
powered by Eierlikör

SCQ83

Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:04 pm

I wonder if this will also mean EY operating new AUS/NZ destinations (same for QR if they finally join OW this week). So far, QR offers two destinations, EY three and EK seven.

MEL: EK, EY, QR

BNE: EK, EY
SYD: EK, EY

PER: EK, QR

ADL: EK
AKL: EK
CHC: EK

factsonly
Topic Author

Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:18 pm

The AF/KL - ETIHAD/AirBerlin agreement results in the following schedule adjustments:

KLM starts non-stop AMS-AUH-AMS operations on 28 October 2012. The impact KL's previous en-route stop in BAH is as yet unclear.

- NEW: dep. 10:50 AMS - arr. 20:20 AUH KL 0437 Non-Stop A332 Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Sat
- OLD: dep. 13:40 AMS - arr. 23:50 AUH KL 0455 stop BAH A332

- OLD: dep. 01:00 AUH - arr. 05:05 AMS KL 0455 Non-Stop (was triangle flight AMS-BAH-AUH-AMS)
- NEW dep. 01:45 AUH - arr. 06:05 AMS KL 0438 Non-Stop A332 Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sun

As are result of this agreement ETIHAD will have multiple codeshares in Europe with EI, OK, AF, KL, AB leading to hub operations at several European stations, such as AMS, BER, CDG, DUB, PRG:

Herewith an example of EY operations in Winter 2012/2013 at AMS:

- arr. 06.05 Abu Dhabi EY XXX Etihad Airways A332 operated by KLM
- dep. 07:00 Billund EY XXX Etihad Airways F70 operated by KLMCityhopper
- dep. 07:00 Oslo EY XXX Etihad Airways B737 operated by KLM
- arr. 07:10 Billund EY XXX Etihad Airways B737 operated by KLM
- arr. 07:50 Stavanger EY XXX Etihad Airways B737 operated by KLM
- dep. 07:55 Stavanger EY XXX Etihad Airways B737 operated by KLM
- dep. 08:10 Cardiff EY 1059 Etihad Airways F70 operated by KLMCityhopper
- dep. 08:10 Newcastle EY 0953 Etihad Airways F70 operated by KLMCityhopper
- arr. 08:20 Oslo EY XXX Etihad Airways B737 operated by KLM
- arr. 08:30 Cardiff EY XXX Etihad Airways F70 operated by KLMCityhopper
- arr. 08:30 Newcastle EY XXX Etihad Airways E90 operated by KLMCityhopper
- arr. 08:40 Prague EY 7860 Etihad Airways A320 operated by OK
- dep. 09:25 Prague EY 7859 Etihad Airways A320 operated by OK
- dep. 10.45 Abu Dhabi EY XXX Etihad Airways A332 operated by KLM
- arr. 12:15 Dublin EY 7910 Etihad Airways A320 operated by EI
- arr. 14:05 Dublin EY 7912 Etihad Airways A320 operated by EI
- dep. 15:00 Dublin EY 7913 Etihad Airways A320 operated by EI
- dep. 17:00 Dublin EY 7915 Etihad Airways A320 operated by EI

An interesting strategy for Europe, quite different from what EK is doing.

_AA_777_MAN

Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:21 pm

Hmmmmm... Air Berlin announces ORD service just as AF finally pulls out for good. And EY all ready well established in ORD.

runway23

Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:47 pm

Quoting _AA_777_MAN (Reply 13):
Hmmmmm... Air Berlin announces ORD service just as AF finally pulls out for good. And EY all ready well established in ORD.

AB and EY both have AA as a partner in ORD.

AF's service on CDG-ORD is being taken over by DL as part of their joint venture so no service loss there.

miaintl

Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:57 pm

If ab fully join skyteam than that will be the end of it's service to MIA. AB service to Miami is largely dependent on oneworld feed. I wonder if BA will allow AB to join skyteam without a fight.

runway23

Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:03 pm

Quoting miaintl (Reply 15):

If ab fully join skyteam than that will be the end of it's service to MIA. AB service to Miami is largely dependent on oneworld feed. I wonder if BA will allow AB to join skyteam without a fight.

Termination will in any case be in the alliance contract. Therefore it could be that AB will sign many codeshare agreements that go beyond their one world membership, as it may be very costly to cancel one world participation and AB does lack cash right now.

panamair

Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:12 pm

Quoting _AA_777_MAN (Reply 13):
just as AF finally pulls out for good

AF equipment is scheduled to be back on ORD-CDG next summer. This winter, like last, will see a DL 763ER operating the route for both DL and AF.

Jano

Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:22 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 10):
But what can AF and KL gain from AB? And vice versa? The best option where this "Eastern Eruope" traffic could gain wpould be VIE, not BER.

Plus there is Czech Airlines. There are cooperating with Etihad already http://www.csa.cz/en/portal/quicklinks/eti_coop/eti_coop_new.htm . And OK's Eastern Europe connections are not too bad either.
The Widget Air Line :)

sscaf001

Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:30 pm

Quoting panamair (Reply 17):

Unfortunately, reservation is closed for AF664 in S13 :

AF 664 CDG/2E
10:30 ORD/5
12:30 332/0

JC CC DC IC ZC WC SC AC YC BC MC UC KC HC LC QC TC EC NC RC VC XC GS

SQ22
Crew

Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:31 pm

Its just an idea, but maybe EY future plans for AB are to use them as a feeder for flights outside of Europe only. Going east feeding EY and going west feeding AF/KL (when we are talking about long haul flights). Finally keeping a few high density seating layout equipped WB's for leisure routes.

This is based on the assumption that AF/KL might be more important for EY than AB.

Thoughts?

panamair

Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:28 pm

Quoting sscaf001 (Reply 19):
Unfortunately, reservation is closed for AF664 in S13 :

AF 664 CDG/2E
10:30 ORD/5
12:30 332/0

JC CC DC IC ZC WC SC AC YC BC MC UC KC HC LC QC TC EC NC RC VC XC GS

Where are you looking? I still see AF667/664 to be bookable in GDS, delta.com, Expedia, etc.,- I tried dates in June and July 2013, and they all show the flight operating with AF metal.

TWA772LR

Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:37 pm

Like I said in another post, will we see alliance hopping soon? I can see tie-ups with AB/ET and AF/KL with Virgin Australia and DL.

So... QR goes to OW, ET goes to ST, and EK (the airline that all the other airlines love to hate) will hopefully go to Star? Or not since Star has been quoted to not want a Gulf carrier. What if, due to the tie-up, EK joins star and drags QF with them (or vice-verse)?
Not every day we find light winds. What do we do in these situations? Fly.

panamair

Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:51 pm

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 22):
AB/ET
Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 22):
ET goes to ST

It's EY = Etihad. ET = Ethiopian which is already in Star.

something

Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:01 pm

So who is going to fly a two-stop routing when there are many one stops available? How low yielding must this traffic be?
..sick of it. -K. Pilkington.

r2rho

Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:13 am

Agree. I see the sense in AB-EY and AF-KL-EY cooperation. But AB-AF-KL is strange.... AF-KL don't need AB to tap into the German market, they do that themselves rather well as you say. If anything it might be beneficial to AB, gaining access to secondary French cities. AB also gain access to secondary UK cities with KL via AMS, but BA may not be happy as the natural OW option would have been with them through LHR...

As for Eastern Europe VIE may be "natural" geographically but it's LH Group territory, and while AB has a presence there it is not a hub. The "natural" SkyTeam option for AF-KL would have been with OK via PRG...

And by the way, will we earn Skyteam or OW miles on those AF-KL-AB flights? Or both?

MarkusMUC

Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:59 am

That are fascinating times. : )

Air Berlin joins oneworld.
Emirates allies with Qantas.
Etihad allies with Air France-KLM and Air Berlin.
Qatar Airways joins oneworld.
The memberships of Qantas in oneworld and of TAM in Star Alliance will be history probably quite soon.
Besides American Airlines is looking for a new owner.
And Lufthansa gets under heavy pressure with their long-haul flights, too, and acts like with no strategy and plan.

Indeed airliner world is changing. I'm curious about the next changes.

PanHAM

Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:46 am

Quoting MarkusMUC (Reply 26):
nd Lufthansa gets under heavy pressure with their long-haul flights, too, and acts like with no strategy and plan.

I would not say that they don't have a plan. Working to make all sections and parts of the business profitable and self-sustainable is quite a good plan.

Not having a partner in the Gulf now may even be a blessing. Wonder what happens to their code-share with QE once they have joined OW. But OK, the topic here is AB and AB has been castrated amazingly quick by EY.

Quoting r2rho (Reply 25):
AB has a presence there it is not a hub. The "natural" SkyTeam option for AF-KL would have been with OK via PRG...

OK is struggling more than the "Niki" part of AB. The market at VIE may not be big enough to support OS and AB, but VIE is their third hub after BER and DUS and of course what is left at PMI.