kaitak
Topic Author

Irish 13/12: Stormy Skies Ahead

Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:11 am

Good morning folks!

It's been quite a long time since we've had a new thread and there have been quite a few interesting events, some internal and some external, affecting Irish aviation.
- The continuing efforts of FR to anticipate possible objections to its planned takeover of Aer Lingus (and the continuing refusal of other carriers to play ball)
- The ongoing pensions issue; indeed, as recently as today - 9th October - Aer Lingus has put some feelers out in relation to a compromise: it will make a one time contribution in return for lower demands for salary increases over the next few years
- Varadkar and the DAA wooing UA to open a route to the US west coast
- The very successful recent match between the USN and Notre Dame looks likely to become an annual event (though not necessarily between these teams!), as the American NFL and Irish agencies enter talks
- Aer Arann has firmed up its order for ATR72-600s
- The SAA has successfully attracted a major new route: Shannon to Chicago starts next Summer, on a seaonal basis
- Aer Lingus basing A319s as DUB and ORK, and restructuring its operations at Belfast.
- Aer Lingus (and the DAA) still posting positive trends in passenger numbers, albeit from a significantly reduced base

There's probably a few more that I've missed, but it's still only 5am and the old brain doesn't get up until at least seven.

There's quite a few things from that list which are still ongoing; we'll certainly hear more about the pensions issue and industrial action can't be ruled out (though hopefully can be avoided).

The economic climate is still not brilliant, although hopefully once the EU decides to follow through with its promise to compensate us for our banking bailouts, this will make a significant difference and allow some significant investment in growth. Of course, we're not likely to see any movement on this for some time. Our presidency of the EU in the first half of next year will be a turbulent one, but at least is likely to see some significant developments - hopefully of a positive nature.

So, enough waffle for now; over to you folks. 13/12 is now ready to roll ...

OA260

RE: Irish 13/12: Stormy Skies Ahead

Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:43 pm

Quoting kaitak (Thread starter):
- Aer Lingus basing A319s as DUB and ORK, and restructuring its operations at Belfast.

Indeed not long now til the big move from BFS to BHD . Will be interesting to watch developments.

Regarding the pensions issue :

Shocked Aer Lingus workers told they may get only 4pc of their pensions

By Kim Bielenberg
Tuesday October 09 2012

AER Lingus has issued a shock warning to its workers that if the hole in its pension scheme is not addressed they could receive only 4pc of their expected benefits.

The airline has issued a statement to the stockmarket on its pension scheme.

It said the shortfall in the pension stood at €748m at the end of May.

http://www.independent.ie/business/i...4pc-of-their-pensions-3254440.html

Dublinspotter

Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:10 pm

hi

Quoting OA260 (Reply 1):
Aer Lingus basing A319s as DUB and ORK, and restructuring its operations at Belfast.
Quoting OA260 (Reply 1):
ndeed not long now til the big move from BFS to BHD . Will be interesting to watch developments.

I will be at Belfast City for work experience a few days after the move from the international so I will ask if I can take some photos, but I doubt it as its an airport in modern times!!!!

I do think the airline has mucked things up a bit as in they can really go back to BFS after abandoning ship and the BA and BHD thing was a bit of a surprise...now we are left with one airport with two airlines competing on the LHR route and one airport with only one real international route to EWR. but if EI are committed to BHD they might as well make more business routes ie FRA CDG MAD not 2 London routes and 2 summer routes. Not good planning in my opinion....

But if they really are committed I hope they succeed.

Dublinspotter  
Dublinspotter

tonystan

Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:46 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 1):

I sense this could simply be scare tactics but time will tell. How awful if you are nearing retirement and then suddenly you realise all you worked for amounts to nothing!
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

OA260

Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:15 pm

Interesting comments:

""While that route is biting the dust, Kamen was positive about the potential to enhance its relationship with Aer Lingus and hinted strongly that United would like the Irish airline to join the Star alliance, of which the US carrier was a founding member.

“We’ve agreed with Aer Lingus that, while they may or may not ever want to join Star, and you would have to ask them that question, we think there are benefits for both carriers.

“They are a strong partner for us in the UK and Ireland. We will likely expand that relationship.

“The benefit for us is the connections they provide throughout the UK and Ireland, especially with [UK airline] BMI leaving Star and the Lufthansa group [following its takeover by BA].

“Aer Lingus provides connections at Heathrow as well as out of Shannon and Dublin services that we couldn’t otherwise offer to destinations that we don’t serve.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...nance/2012/1005/1224324905511.html

ClassicLover

Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:56 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 1):
Regarding the pensions issue :

The article states -

"Aer Lingus is proposing to close the scheme to new entrants and freeze payments for current members.

The airline wants to replace the current pension fund with a defined contribution scheme. "

Do you know what this looks like? It looks like an airline caring about their employees. They probably know from their legal advice that neither they nor the DAA has any obligation to fill the massive hole in the current pension fund, so in order for the employees not to be short changed in their retirement, they will replace it with defined contribution. I do note that it also says -

"Aer Lingus promised to make a once-off payment to kickstart this scheme if workers agree to pay restraint."

Which is only fair, to me. Alternatively, the whole thing goes bust and the employees are back to square one.

The company I worked for started a defined contribution scheme for all new employees, while the old ones get to keep their defined benefit scheme, so this is the way the wind is blowing.

Meanwhile, in other news, I got the retrojet out of LHR this morning quite by chance. I'd forgotten it had the Iberia interior. Lots and lots of passengers transferring on flights from Australia (I was on the 0850 departure). Funnily enough, the people sitting behind me were going to Dublin then driving home to Belfast and were very tired! I would have thought they would have gone to Belfast directly from Heathrow?
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

shamrock321

Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:58 pm

Hey everybody, long time no post!

Just looking at flightradar and flights seem to be doing 2 laps or so south of DUB before approaching! Any ideas why?

pesit4a

Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:26 pm

Quoting shamrock321 (Reply 6):
Hey everybody, long time no post!

Just looking at flightradar and flights seem to be doing 2 laps or so south of DUB before approaching! Any ideas why

Cloud base at 100ft - CAT III conditions here at the moment - bit of a traffic jam!
You just can't keep a good man down!

Callbell

Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:52 pm

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 5):

EI-DVM the retro jet has regular EI interior and not the Iberia one. The only 2 aircraft with Iberia interiors are EDS & EDP.

tonystan

Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:41 pm

Quoting callbell (Reply 8):

EI-DVM the retro jet has regular EI interior and not the Iberia one. The only 2 aircraft with Iberia interiors are EDS & EDP.

He possibly means the new airbus standard panelling and fittings as opposed to the seats.

nightfox365

Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:32 pm

Hi guys, I have been reading these topics for a long time now, and just purchased a first class membership to here. I am behind getting most news of aviation, but have a sub to airliner world. I was at the aviation museum at Baldonnell today, which was real good, only down side was it is by appointment only to go visit it. But plans are to relocate it, so that it can be open to the public at all times, without appointment.
Flown on: bae146, bn2 islander, 741, A320, A321, A333, A332, MD80, 738

ClassicLover

Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:57 pm

It has EI seats, but the rest of the interior is Iberia style really...
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

airfinglas

Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:46 pm

Speaking of EI pensions - I once heard that EI Pilots retired on two-thirds final salary after 30 years service. Does anyone know if this is correct?

EIDL

Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:57 pm

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 11):

That's just the new standard Airbus PSUs/sidewall/etc. The other EI-DVx registered Airbuses are the same inside, as was the U2 319 I was on last week.

tonystan

Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:23 pm

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 11):

NOT Iberia style....just standard Airbus. EI have about 3 different types of Airbus interiors now (possibly 4). Differences are subtle such as minut changes in the air vents to pretty obvious such as the window frames. Its the easiest way to tell if you are on a newer aircraft.

BrianDromey

Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:33 pm

Quoting tonystan (Reply 14):
NOT Iberia style....just standard Airbus. EI have about 3 different types of Airbus interiors now (possibly 4). Differences are subtle such as minut changes in the air vents to pretty obvious such as the window frames. Its the easiest way to tell if you are on a newer aircraft.

Given the ages of their A32x aircraft this is not surprising! I think there are two main types, the A321s and EI-CVx A320s have an earlier interior with filament bulbs in the reading lights, push-button cabin panel, but they have retro-fitted the newer style overheard bin doors at some stage - presumably when they had the 174Y cabin installed.
Early EI-DVx deliveries are quite similar, the only real difference I can see is these aircraft lack the cabin divider rail which runs along the top of the overhead bins. The window surrounds are markedly less yellowed on these aircraft also.
Mid way though the control panel at L1 became a touch screen and in overhead reading lights are of a different style, with a theatre dimming style on/off
The newest deliveries have the Airbus evolve interior with larger overhad bins, LED lighting, etc.
Next flights: MAN-ORK-LHR(EI)-MAN(BD); MAN-LHR(BD)-ORK (EI); DUB-ZRH-LAX (LX) LAX-YYZ (AC) YYZ-YHZ-LHR(AC)-DUB(BD)

shamrock350

Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:06 pm

Any idea about the Belfast A319s, I know the ex-Iberia aircraft was hanging around DUB for over a year before it entered service and the other was with Comoros Island Airways but I've seen a few people complain about the legroom on them which was a common complaint when the ex-Iberia A320s arrived with their IB configuration.

Speaking of the A319s, one of them operated LHR-SNN on Tuesday evening and operated SNN-LHR the next morning before slotting back into the BFS schedule.

Quoting kaitak (Thread starter):
Aer Lingus basing A319s as DUB and ORK, and restructuring its operations at Belfast.

I think the plan for next summer is two A319s be based at BHD, one at DUB and one at LGW. I don't think there are any A319s planned for ORK at the moment.

nightfox365

Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:47 pm

Quote:
Industrial action at Aer Lingus now seems highly likely in the short term as part of an ongoing dispute over pensions, trade union Siptu has said.

Siptu said efforts to resolve the dispute over the €748 million deficit in the pension scheme at Aer Lingus and the Dublin Airport Authority ended in disarray at the Labour Relations Commission last night.

The union claimed the breakdown in the talks occurred when Aer Lingus representatives refused to meet unions representing the staff pension committees.

“Despite a request from the LRC, Aer Lingus refused to meet directly with the employee’s representatives. The company is also refusing to attend the Labour Court in relation to the issue.”

Siptu organiser Dermot O’Loughlin said this afternoon workers at the two companies were “angry and disillusioned with the discourteous behaviour which the Aer Lingus management team has displayed”.
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/1012/breaking46.html

I have almost had enough of siptu, they are going to bankrupt Aer Lingus with what they want. I do support the need for unions, just as long as they are sensible, but SIPTU are not being sensible here, they are being greedy.

[Edited 2012-10-12 10:48:36]
Flown on: bae146, bn2 islander, 741, A320, A321, A333, A332, MD80, 738

VFRonTop

Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:15 pm

I did it, after years of reading and looking at photos I finally decided to take the plunge and join the conversation.

Quoting nightfox365 (Reply 17):
I have almost had enough of siptu, they are going to bankrupt Aer Lingus with what they want. I do support the need for unions, just as long as they are sensible, but SIPTU are not being sensible here, they are being greedy.

I agree wholeheartedly. I just don't understand what they think they will achieve with this action. Aer Lingus is in a precarious position at the moment, MoL is trying to break in the door and SIPTU are busy jimmying the lock?!? What do they expect labour relations to be like if MoL/Ryanair are calling the shots?

Hopefully all this will get sorted without any more damage to the company and the already frayed relationships involved.

pesit4a

Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:33 pm

Quoting nightfox365 (Reply 17):
I have almost had enough of siptu, they are going to bankrupt Aer Lingus with what they want. I do support the need for unions, just as long as they are sensible, but SIPTU are not being sensible here, they are being greedy
Quoting VFRontop (Reply 18):
I agree wholeheartedly. I just don't understand what they think they will achieve with this action. Aer Lingus is in a precarious position at the moment, MoL is trying to break in the door and SIPTU are busy jimmying the lock?!? What do they expect labour relations to be like if MoL/Ryanair are calling the shots?

Hopefully all this will get sorted without any more damage to the company and the already frayed relationships involved.

Welcome to the thread folks!

Agreed on points above, though I see the staff's point of view here - I just think SIPTU need to do themselves a favour here and allow EI management to focus on fending off the FR takeover.

OA260

Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:41 pm

If SIPTU call a strike over the October Bank Holiday weekend then airlines and passengers should sue SIPTU and make them go bust. They will only be turning the public against them and their cause.

AmricanShamrok

Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:59 pm

I notice Aer Lingus operated today's EI111 flight (SNN-JFK) with A330-300 equipment as opposed to the usual -200. Was this a once-off operational issue or are they now going to rotate aircraft around the system according to demand? I'm also curious about Shamrock350's post above about the A319 rotations.

kaitak
Topic Author

Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:19 pm

Aer Lingus is to increase BOS to twice daily next Summer, a further increase over the initially announced 12 weekly.

Also, an interesting article in yesterday's IT, where although the minister expresses scepticism over FR's plans for EI, he does concede that EI is vulnerable to takeover at some point:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...nance/2012/1012/1224325186938.html

[Edited 2012-10-13 08:25:23]

jrfspa320

Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:55 am

Just wondering what the forward booking were like ex BHD, better/worse than BFS?

Wasnt overly surprised to see LGW-ORK dropped as the flight was never very busy. Any chance of seeing Knock moving to LHR, I think it could do weill the connections etc!

Any thoughts about EIR running flights out of BHD, taking on flybe to MAN, GLA CDG etc....
Or flying to Ireland (DUB/OCK/BHD from LCY) (connections to USA.

Eagleboy

Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:52 am

Quoting VFRontop (Reply 18):
Aer Lingus is in a precarious position at the moment, MoL is trying to break in the door and SIPTU are busy jimmying the lock?!? What do they expect labour relations to be like if MoL/Ryanair are calling the shots?

Great comparison there

Quoting pesit4a (Reply 19):
Agreed on points above, though I see the staff's point of view here - I just think SIPTU need to do themselves a favour here and allow EI management to focus on fending off the FR takeover.
Quoting OA260 (Reply 20):
They will only be turning the public against them and their cause.

All my thoughts exactly......this issue can still be addresses in Jan/Feb once the threat of FR has gone away.....

Strike threats hurt the workers in the long term.

tonymctigue

Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:26 am

Quoting jrfspa320 (Reply 23):
Strike threats hurt the workers in the long term.

How long before SIPTU start making threats of strike action during the forthcoming busy Christmas season? That is the kind of greedy self-serving tatic that they would deploy. Can you imagine what damage that even the mere mention of such a selfish would do to the airline?
Airports: SNN GWY NOC DUB ORK BOS EWR JFK ORD MCI BOI SEA LHR STN CDG LYS FAO GVA HKG MEL ADL HBA

pesit4a

Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:57 pm

Quoting jrfspa320 (Reply 23):

I would not be at all surprised if NOC moved to Heathrow eventually, though I suspect EI would want to do that twice daily, so getting slots would be an issue.

EIR setting up at BHD is strongly rumoured.

OA260

Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:45 pm

Quoting pesit4a (Reply 26):

I wonder if we will ever see BHD-SNN oneday if EIR did ever commence operations there.

EIBusiness

Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:13 pm

Quoting tonystan (Reply 3):
I sense this could simply be scare tactics but time will tell. How awful if you are nearing retirement and then suddenly you realise all you worked for amounts to nothing!

While I deeply symphathise with (and know) some of those affected - who do great work at EI - this has been happening to tens of thousands of private sector workers persistently post 2008. Does that make it alright? Certainly not. But, this is an affliction of these troubled times and of the years of excess in Ireland - when every pension, savings plan and practically everything was indexed to a concept of perpetual prosperity.

While there is strong justifiction to fight for individual rights and entitlements - there is NO justification for bringing disruption to an airline that is doing miraculously well given the persistent collapse in its primary market. As OA260 and others point out - the public will only take so much. Pricing is now at a point again on EI where it is almost more cost efficient to travel in the Premium Cabin via LHR to the States for example. Business travellers and the public generally will not endure these tactics and threats in such difficult times and will simply go elsewhere.

This running to the strike or industrial action threat button has to cease at Aer Lingus - it is damaging for perceptions, for the brand and for the company generally.

Any individual who engages in such action over the coming weeks - in the midst of a hostile takeover bid, should seriously consider their position at the company and what they truly stand for. If these people think that conditions are bad right now - then they will be lost for words were the FR bid to be successful for example. An outright FR control regime would have no difficulty in removing another EUR 40-50 million from the cost base.

More individual ouput for less is and will be the main trend in Ireland for the coming years in an attempt to rebalance the economy and our position globally. Any agendas at variance to this are likely to fail.

EIBusiness
Vivo Per Lei...

dstc47

Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:31 pm

The following commercial website may be of interest to some readers, as it includes a considerable number of shots taken at Irish airports among other images.

http://www.irishphotoarchive.ie/

While most images are of persons arriving or leaving of limited interest due to the narrow framing, there are shots of the first EI Bac 111, the last IAC Spitfire leaving, and of an AZ accident at SNN.

Jambost

Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:55 pm

I noticed EI44 BFS - ACE turned around and landed in ORK and is now on its way to ACE, medical emergency?
1APR14 Ireland Direct, 3 A380-9LR,Equiped Irish Bar & Casino. All Y+ seating. Serving DUB-PER-SYD/MEL

Jambost

Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:52 pm

Also noticed EI779 ACE - DUB is now behind EI44, it departed ACE on time passing the inbound from BFS, it then diverted to FAO. EI44 passed by an hour behind schedule and then EI779 ascended behind back en-route to DUB. Quite a coincidence!
1APR14 Ireland Direct, 3 A380-9LR,Equiped Irish Bar & Casino. All Y+ seating. Serving DUB-PER-SYD/MEL

Clydenairways

Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:16 am

Maybe a fuel stop?
When the wind is from a certain direction there is a performance hit at ACE.

auntie

Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:43 pm

Quoting clydenairways (Reply 32):
Maybe a fuel stop?
When the wind is from a certain direction there is a performance hit at ACE.

I was on the EI779 on Friday night and we rerouted to FAO for fuel due to the northerly winds
I had been monitoring the 779 for a few weeks and it seems to go into FAO a lot.

Can someone please explain to me how come the 779 has to go to FAO and the 144 doesn't? (I know why the 779 goes, but I'm wondering why the 144 doesn't)

Does every full aircraft that leaves ACE bound for - Ireland or the UK - when the winds are like that have to stop somewhere else for fuel? Or is it just the EI779?

(btw, I'm not complaining about having to reroute - 2 take-offs for the price of one, happy days!)

Clydenairways

Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:42 pm

Quoting auntie (Reply 33):
I was on the EI779 on Friday night and we rerouted to FAO for fuel due to the northerly winds
I had been monitoring the 779 for a few weeks and it seems to go into FAO a lot.

Can someone please explain to me how come the 779 has to go to FAO and the 144 doesn't? (I know why the 779 goes, but I'm wondering why the 144 doesn't)

Does every full aircraft that leaves ACE bound for - Ireland or the UK - when the winds are like that have to stop somewhere else for fuel? Or is it just the EI779?

The payload on the other flight may have been less so they could have taken off with more fuel?

Were they both 320's

AmricanShamrok

Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:12 pm

Would the A319s fare better on the DUB-ACE route operationally? I know it would be at a disadvantage in terms of capacity but would the range be greater?

Clydenairways

Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:59 pm

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 35):
Would the A319s fare better on the DUB-ACE route operationally? I know it would be at a disadvantage in terms of capacity but would the range be greater?

Maybe, it would depend on what engine rating they operate the aircraft with. A319 CFM options between 22,000lbs to max 27,000lbs thrust rating.

ACE has this problem more in the winter months.

[Edited 2012-10-16 09:32:33]

[Edited 2012-10-16 09:34:01]

pesit4a

Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:22 pm

Quoting clydenairways (Reply 36):

Yup, ACE is a bitch to dispatch with a full load on an A320, every pax under 180 makes a big difference!

OA260

Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:54 pm

Hey all a fab weekend at SXL Airport last week. Fellow Anetter took the controls and here is the story :

A Pilots View Anetter Takes EI-CRU For A Spin@SXL. (by OA260 Oct 17 2012 in Trip Reports)

Such a shame no commericial flights from SXL . Saw the old signs from RE and must have been a great Regional airport in its days . Can just imagine the Aer Lingus Shorts 360 back in the day .

Jambost

Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:48 pm

Very interesting situation with the A320 on the ACE route. A nasty bill for EI, if it wasn't for those menacing winds!

Great TR, hope SXL will restore their DUB route in the future to come, when did NOC score an Onur Air charter? fair play to them long may it last!

richcandy

Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:01 pm

Hi

In about 1990 when I was working in Belfast, Airtours (or maybe my travel) and British Midland both used to operate a charter to ACE from BFS on a Thursday during the summer. Both used to be operated by a 737, however the BD flight frequently used to stop at FAO for fuel on the northbound sector, where as the other one didn't.

The reason I remember this was that a very unhappy client who flew to ACE a few times a year, used to get most upset if all we could get him was seats via Falcon holidays on the BD flight.

Would BD's 737's of been heavier that the Airtours aircraft?

Alex

shamrock350

Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:58 am

Aer Lingus set to increase Belfast to London flights

Quote:
Aer Lingus will launch more scheduled flights from Belfast to Heathrow as soon as it can secure the landing slots in London.
With just over a week left before the airline goes head-to-head with BA on the George Best Belfast City Airport to Heathrow route, chief executive Christoph Mueller said he wants to build business between the two airports.

"We want to grow," he said on a visit to Belfast yesterday. "Three times a day to London Heathrow is a start but it's not enough in the long-term. We haven't made a secret of the fact we are after additional slots in Heathrow and one of the destinations we would deploy those is Belfast."

Aer Lingus currently flies to the London airport, along with Alicante, Barcelona, Faro, Malaga, Lanzarote and Tenerife, from Belfast International Airport. But from October 28 it will move its Northern Ireland base to Belfast City Airport from where it will fly just to Heathrow and Gatwick.

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/bu...lights-16225909.html#ixzz29dPdsmGq

Not sure how successful this move is going to be, LHR should hold its own but I don't see it growing in frequency past a maximum of 4 daily. Maybe they'll drop LGW if more LHR slots become available because right now I think 4 daily to LGW and 3 daily to LHR next summer is overkill considering the competition.

OA260

Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:26 am

Quoting shamrock350 (Reply 41):
Aer Lingus set to increase Belfast to London flights

Certainly seems to be hotting up at BHD and copper fastens everything Ive heard so far from within the trade itself.

OA260

Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:29 am

Quoting Jambost (Reply 39):
Great TR, hope SXL will restore their DUB route in the future to come, when did NOC score an Onur Air charter? fair play to them long may it last!

Not sure but they always amaze me with their emails and routes. They must have the magic touch or be blessed  

-----

New safety video for EI on the horizon :

VStream Lands Aer Lingus In-Flight Safety Video | The Irish Film & Television Network

Irish digital content production company vStream has beaten off stiff competition from Ireland and the UK to produce Aer Lingus’s new in-flight safety video.
The Dublin-based company pitched ideas to the airline and are now tasked with producing a video which informs passengers of their safety guidelines and comfort information.

VStream co-founders and directors Niall O’Driscoll and Andrew Jenkinson will oversee the project. O’Driscoll said: “Innovation is at the core of everything we do at vStream and this partnership with Aer Lingus will be a marriage of the best of our in-house directorial, video, visual effects and animation expertise.”

http://www.iftn.ie/commercials/?act1...3&rid=4285490&tpl=archnews&force=1

AmricanShamrok

Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:41 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 43):
New safety video for EI on the horizon

It'll be kind of sad to see the current safety video go - it's been there for as long as I can remember...nearly know the words off by heart now http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNTcWT5yE2E
(uploaded by fellow Irish A.net user Phen)

shamrock321

Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:40 am

Wifi coming in Aer Lingus long haul fllet shortly!

http://www.ittn.ie/bulletins/infligh...tic-services/#.UH_6J9RKom4.twitter

shamrock350

Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:02 am

Arrived in a very murky DUB this morning on EI-DVM from LHR, nice flight with a busy load and friendly, if a little tired looking crew. The flight itself went by very quickly with the help of the Irish breakfast but on arrival we were waiting for a stand at T2 for over 20 minutes, quite a queue had formed with an EI A330 behind us and the EY arrival behind that. First time I've witnessed how busy the airport can be in the morning since T2 opened.

Quoting shamrock321 (Reply 45):
Wifi coming in Aer Lingus long haul fllet shortly!

This months Cara Magazine also says it will be installed on the short haul fleet in 2014, might not be free though. I don't think the uptake on paid wifi is very good with other airlines and I can't see many willing to pay for it on Aer Lingus short haul services. Free on board wifi would be another reason to chose Aer Lingus over the likes of Ryanair, especially for those higher yielding business passengers that Aer Lingus are now so openly targeting.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 43):
New safety video for EI on the horizon

Looking forward to seeing that, I think the current video is the first and only one they've ever had so not surprised it's time for an update! The company has done some work for Aer Lingus before on the pilot cadet scheme with a video promoting it.

tonymctigue

Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:24 am

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 44):

It'll be kind of sad to see the current safety video go - it's been there for as long as I can remember...nearly know the words off by heart now
Quoting shamrock350 (Reply 46):
Looking forward to seeing that, I think the current video is the first and only one they've ever had so not surprised it's time for an update! The company has done some work for Aer Lingus before on the pilot cadet scheme with a video promoting it.

I believe the current safety video has been in continuous use since the A330 was brought into the EI fleet and from faint memory, the B747 safety video was pretty similar. I'd nearly go as far as to say all the did was change the graphic at the start and end of the video from a B747 to an A330. It does look very dated what with that crudely computer animated crash dummy looking sort of character performing all the various safety drills.
Airports: SNN GWY NOC DUB ORK BOS EWR JFK ORD MCI BOI SEA LHR STN CDG LYS FAO GVA HKG MEL ADL HBA

EI320

Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:53 am

Quoting shamrock350 (Reply 46):

A thick blanket of fog lingered over the airfield up until about 07:30 which slowed down the departure of the first wave. This, combined with the arrival of the transatlantics and early UK flights, resulted in some very heavy congestion on the apron up until 08:30-09:00. Aircraft were left waiting for long periods to take-off and also to reach stands. Quite messy to say the least.

shamrock321

Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:58 am

I seen DVM last night parked at T1 when we arrived from MAN about 11pm, our plane G-DBCI had just come in from DUB with about 100 customers onboard, not bad for a Thursday evening, flying with BA to DUB myself on Monday really looking forward to it!

Also read on Twitter this morning that DY are increasing OSL-DUB to 3 weekly next summer, I thought it was 3 weekly already!

Anybody know of any decent Twitter feeds to follow for Irish aviation news?