sq_ek_freak
Topic Author

Breaking: Syrian Airliner Forced Landing In Turkey

Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:20 pm

Details are sketchy but the BBC are breaking a story that a Syrian passenger plane has been forced to land in Turkey after being intercepted by air force jets.

Al Jazeera is reporting that the aircraft involved is an A320 en route from Moscow:

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/europe/2012/10/201210101804010971.html

Details to follow, I'm sure.
Keep Discovering

Flaps

RE: Breaking: Syrian Airliner Forced Landing In Turkey

Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:23 pm

Suspected of carrying heavy weapons eh? Imagine that. Good for Turkey, I'm glad to see a country stand up for itself in this region.

mauriceb

Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:29 pm

Good to see Turkey taking a major leadership role in this ugly war, and i am glad they are getting global support for their responsive actions.

Hope its all oke, but i must admit im surprised to read that Syrian Airways is still active.

Maurice

roseflyer

Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:45 pm

It will be interesting to see if Syrian Air is carrying arms on passenger flights. I wouldn't be surprised if Turkey makes whatever they find on that plane very public. This could result in Syrian Air running into some problems with various conventions and ICAO regulations. Turkey has the right to force down any airplane suspected of carrying suspect cargo in its air space. Countries like Thailand have forced down airplanes from countries like North Korea before.

Syrian air has already been banned from the European Union. This won't help them getting re-instated.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

PHX787

Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:49 pm

Quoting Flaps (Reply 1):
Suspected of carrying heavy weapons eh? Imagine that. Good for Turkey, I'm glad to see a country stand up for itself in this region.

About dang time. This is nuts, the EU and the UN are gonna have a field day with this one.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

cf105arrow

Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:59 pm

Not sure whether it is suspected of carrying arms or not but it appears that Turkey has closed its airspace to all civilian flights to and from Syria.

Birdwatching

Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:09 pm

Wow, this is crazy. I can't imagine the outcome if they really do find any weapons on that flight. Military cargo on a civilian airliner. This will be a major thing. Could this be a turning point in the war?

Soren   
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

TurkishWings

Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:21 pm

The A 320 from Moscow (Vnukovo) is in ESB (Ankara) right now and the belly is being unloaded as we speak. They are searching for weapons...

On related news, Turkish registered airplanes are no longer flying through Syrian airspace as it has become unsafe to do so... This should be interesting which so many middle eastern flights are routed over Syria...
Coffee - Tea or Me?

PHX787

Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:28 pm

Quoting TurkishWings (Reply 7):
On related news, Turkish registered airplanes are no longer flying through Syrian airspace as it has become unsafe to do so... This should be interesting which so many middle eastern flights are routed over Syria...

That's interesting. Maybe they're flying south over the Holy Land/Jordan?
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

fd122

Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:43 pm

Word is that Turkish officials have seized 'suspicious' cargo, possibly missile parts. Will be interesting to see how this develops, if true.

http://english.alarabiya.net/articles/2012/10/10/243011.html

Birdwatching

Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:52 pm

Better photo via DPA (German Press Agency)

http://cdn1.spiegel.de/images/image-411360-galleryV9-utnv.jpg

Seems to be YK-AKE.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Mark Kwiatkowski

Soren   
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

faddypainter

Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:52 pm

Do things such as the Chicago Convention (to which Syria is a signatory) actually have any legal authority or provision for penalties against states which violate it?

RussianJet

Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:34 pm

Quoting Faddypainter (Reply 11):
Do things such as the Chicago Convention (to which Syria is a signatory) actually have any legal authority or provision for penalties against states which violate it?

The CC has very little to do with this particular situation, other than effectively saying that Turkey has the right to do what it deems necessary in its own airspace.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

Senchingo

Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:56 pm

Smart move to get their own flights out of Syrian airspace right before doing that. Nevertheless i guess this is gonna cause major trouble soon.

If really weapons are found, i hope it'll be the final reason for other states to back up Turkey.

sweair

Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:01 pm

Acting on intel? Did someone have an inside contact at Moscow?

jumpjets

Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:05 pm

The BBC is reporting that Military communication devices have been confiscated and the plane and its 35 passengers has been given permission to leave.

zkojq

Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:06 pm

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 10):
Seems to be YK-AKE.

Not a good month for Syrian Airlines. Last month YK-AKF had its tail clipped by a helicopter.

Quoting sweair (Reply 14):
Did someone have an inside contact at Moscow?

IMO its more likely someone in the know from the Syrian Intelligence service defected to Turkey and gave away some secrets.
First to fly the 787-9 with Air New Zealand and ZK-NZE (2014-10-09, NZ103)

Senchingo

Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:13 pm

German "Spiegel" reports that Turkish secretary of state said "further passenger flights will be forced to land".
On Monday, Turkish military stationed 25 F-16's near Syrian borders.

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/auslan...flugzeug-zur-landung-a-860627.html

Edit:
AV Herald now covering it:
"Some Turkish media report, without providing details or sources of such information, that no weapons and no ammunition was found, however, a large shipment of communication equipment for military purposes was identified. Other Turkish media report, also without providing details or sources of that information, parts for missiles were found on board of the aircraft."

http://avherald.com/h?article=45737b13&opt=0

[Edited 2012-10-10 15:53:07]

kc135topboom

Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:56 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 4):
This is nuts, the EU and the UN are gonna have a field day with this one.

Then they will do nothing, as usual. Now the question becomes, who were to receive this military equipment in Syria? The government or the rebels? A far as I can see, neither side is one I would support after what has happened to us after helping in Lybia.

readytotaxi

Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:03 pm

I would guess that an agency "whispered" in a Turkish ear that they might find something of interest.   

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 18):
Then they will do nothing, as usual.

Have to agree there, do not see light at the end of the tunnel yet.  
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!

DeltaMD90

Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:44 pm

Now the question becomes, who were to receive this military equipment in Syria? The government or the rebels?

Seeing that this flight originated from Moscow and Russia strongly backs the Syrian government, I'd say the Syrian government
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

SuseJ772

Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:45 am

My question is this: if (not saying he/she was, just if) a pilot for Syrian Air were in on this, what would really stop them from just continuing to fly to Syria. Do we really think a Turkish F-16 would shoot down a passenger plane on the suspicion of arms trading? There is no way any military would shoot down a passenger plane in circumstance where they weren't certain there wasn't a WMD (nuclear, biological, etc...) on board.

Not saying I would do it, but it would be interesting to see what happened if the pilot called their bluff.
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

SOBHI51

Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:57 am

Quoting Venus6971 (Reply 20):
If the rebels win all the sects that support the regime will be massacred

Can you give us the source of such information? As far as i know all the different groups of rebels stated that no harm will come to the Alawites as even them are suffering under Assad regime.
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

YVRLTN

Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:14 am

Update from BBC is the cargo was "military communications devices" which are hardly in the same category as arms IMO, though of course the Turks were not to know but nonetheless its sad that Russia continue to support and thereby prolong the madness.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-19905247

[
quote=MauriceB,reply=2] i must admit im surprised to read that Syrian Airways is still active.[/quote] Probably still active for the purpose of carrying out flights like this  
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

timpdx

Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:55 am

hmm, 35 pax, that is on a 2 class A320, that is like a 25% LF, guess the cargo made up for it?

sturmovik

Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:58 am

Quoting suseJ772 (Reply 22):
Not saying I would do it, but it would be interesting to see what happened if the pilot called their bluff.

That's an interesting scenario. Turning that around, perhaps the reason the pilot complied with the interception was because he knew there was nothing illegal on board?
'What's it doing now?'

BMI727

Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:32 am

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 25):
Update from BBC is the cargo was "military communications devices" which are hardly in the same category as arms IMO,

I'd say they are. In the US there is the United State Munitions List which governs what can and cannot be exported under ITAR which specifically includes "military electronics." Depending on what exactly it is and who exactly is getting it, I'd say such things could cause problems.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

JA

Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:52 am

Considering that the integrity of the Syrian military is critical to Turkey's stability, I would be real careful touching anything Russian. Unless, of course, you want the Russians delivering it themselves.

bushman

Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:37 am

Here in Moscow we have Syrian Air Il-76 coming to Vnukovo airport several times a month. I haven't heard it has ever been intercepted anywhere. It can be much more interesting target for the ones who are looking for weapons.

atcsundevil
Crew

Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:47 am

Quoting readytotaxi (Reply 19):
I would guess that an agency "whispered" in a Turkish ear that they might find something of interest.

No, what sounds like a whisper is actually me screaming from 6,000mi away. LOL. I know there was some evidence that Iran Air may have been shipping arms, munitions, and other military equipment, but only Iraq would have been in a position to halt that and I can't imagine the Iraqis are too keen to get involved in this charlie foxtrot. The Turks are well within their rights and given the mess they've been dragged into, I think it's good for them. Your assertion of "whispers" from -- let's say, western intelligence services -- is almost certainly valid. The Turks would not have gotten acted if they weren't pissed off, so it's clear that they're pretty pissed off.

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 23):
Update from BBC is the cargo was "military communications devices" which are hardly in the same category as arms IMO

Definitely. Weapons with battlefield applications (not just guns) and munitions have a direct impact on the conflict whether it goes to the government or the rebels. It is still a big deal because associated military equipment, even communication equipment, adds fuel to the fire. They are definitely in separate categories and although it is probably unethical of Russia to equip them with support equipment, it doesn't have the same ramifications as shipping arms. Even though it probably means they are sending guns too, but that's just my best guess.

I wonder if they'll try to route aircraft south over Iran and Iraq then turn west to Syria to avoid Turkish authorities. That is a pretty big detour though, so that in itself is significant.

garpd

Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:49 am

OK so they only found communications equipment on this flight. But it does set a precedent. So, how many flights have flown before this one with potential more lethal cargo? The question does beg answering.

Now that Turkey have taken action, Syrian would be stupid to risk carrying any more military cargo.
arpdesign.wordpress.com

GIANCAVIA

Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:57 am

The only mistake the Syrians made was sticking it on a Syrian plane. If they shoved it on a Russian Ilyushin or an Antonov I would have love to seen someone stop the delivery from Russia.

Lets face it this is not going to escelate anything. If having its border town shelled and having a surveillance aircraft shot down didnt force Turkey into action then this certainly wont. Its another big mess where both sides are full of creeps. Innocent civilians caught between Extremists fighters and a twisted Dictator. There will be no good outcome.

Pellegrine

Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:38 am

Quoting Giancavia (Reply 31):
Lets face it this is not going to escelate anything. If having its border town shelled and having a surveillance aircraft shot down didnt force Turkey into action then this certainly wont. Its another big mess where both sides are full of creeps. Innocent civilians caught between Extremists fighters and a twisted Dictator. There will be no good outcome.

Blah blah. NATO is influencing Turkey to act with restraint. This situation is far more complicated than anyone thinks.
oh boy, here we go!!!

jumpjets

Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:15 am

Quoting Pellegrine (Reply 32):
This situation is far more complicated than anyone thinks.

Except you oh wise one by the sound of it  

pvjin

Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:42 am

Then they will do nothing, as usual. Now the question becomes, who were to receive this military equipment in Syria? The government or the rebels? A far as I can see, neither side is one I would support after what has happened to us after helping in Lybia.

What bad happened? Yes some small extremist group attacked your embassy and killed some people, so what? It's no reason not to help also in Syria.
"Optimism is the madness of insisting that all is well when we are miserable." - Voltaire

GIANCAVIA

Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:47 am

Quoting jumpjets (Reply 33):
Except you oh wise one by the sound of it

Yeah he has some inside info from the land of lala that the rest of us are not allowed to know.

It isnt complicated at all, Dictator.. random cluster **** of loyalties from city to city. Turkey wanting to influence, Iran wanting to influence, Russia selling arms.. Islamic Extremists getting involved.. NATO writing strongly worded letters and having tea parties while pretending to care. Nothing we havent seen before and wont see again.

The only people that lose are the random civilians that just want to work and live like normal.

bobnwa

Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:20 am

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 6):
Wow, this is crazy. I can't imagine the outcome if they really do find any weapons on that flight. Military cargo on a civilian airliner. This will be a major thing. Could this be a turning point in the war?

You don't think that military cargo doesn't fly on civilian airlines in the US and western Europe every day?

GIANCAVIA

Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:28 am

Wasn't even anything spectacular. Just some comms equiptment.

EL-AL

Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:28 am

The hypocrisy is unbelievable. All hell would break loose if Israel would have forced an civilian airliner flying from one country to another to land using fighter jets, with another 200+ thread about the Israeli piracy, but if Turkey does so it's OK.

Come on, as if no one knows what those planes really fly for 18 months now. I want to see Turkey trying to land a Russian cargo jet heading to Syria.
every day is a good day to fly

Eagleboy

Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:38 am

Quoting bushman (Reply 28):
Here in Moscow we have Syrian Air Il-76 coming to Vnukovo airport several times a month. I haven't heard it has ever been intercepted anywhere. It can be much more interesting target for the ones who are looking for weapons.
Quoting Giancavia (Reply 31):

The only mistake the Syrians made was sticking it on a Syrian plane. If they shoved it on a Russian Ilyushin or an Antonov I would have love to seen someone stop the delivery from Russia.

A military transport is expected to carry military equipment. Any IL-76 making the trip would be filed as military. Turkey could in theory prevent overflight of Russian aircraft,but technically Russia is a neutral country in this conflict.
This was a civilian airliners suspected of carrying military equipment. This is probably against IATA and/or ICAO regs, also if it was not declared onboard then it is cross border smuggling.

flyingturtle

Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:46 am

Quoting EL-AL (Reply 38):
The hypocrisy is unbelievable. All hell would break loose if Israel would have forced an civilian airliner flying from one country to another to land using fighter jets, with another 200+ thread about the Israeli piracy, but if Turkey does so it's OK.

Israel has already done that - December 12, 1954.

(And worse: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libyan_Arab_Airlines_Flight_114)

David

[Edited 2012-10-11 04:47:39]

[Edited 2012-10-11 04:48:08] The bracket is a pain in the rear.

[Edited 2012-10-11 04:58:31]Now, it shouldn't be.

[Edited 2012-10-11 04:59:03]
Keeping calm is terrorism against those who want to live in fear.

PanHAM

Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:59 am

Of course civilian airliners carry some sort of military goods on a daily basis. As long as the export or import is not prohoibited in the countries concerned and the packing as well as the items are in line with IATA and ICAO rules and regulations, export and import permits are on hand , stamped and certified, that is all OK:

All cargo flights might even carry some ordnance, but then they are military charter and should rather not make tech stops at places like LHR or FRA..

What we have here, with Syria, is a country that is sanctioned by the UN, the EU and the USA. Some of the sanctions prohibit the import of military goods and equipment and that is exactly the case we have here. International law is the basis for the actions of the tiurkish government.

Of course they cannot force the IL76s cargo flights which are likely not flown throught Turkish air space anyhow. Such flights likely go via Iran and Iraq. However, it was quite bold by the Syrians to use a civilian flight.

That window is likely shut now.