kkephart13
Topic Author

TSA Sinks To An All Time Low

Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:59 pm

This is straight up embarrassing on the TSA. I feel so bad for this woman...

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t3#...dying-woman-tsa-investigation.komo
EVERYTHING i type on here, is the opinion of ME and not of any airline/company.

crapper1

RE: TSA Sinks To An All Time Low

Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:26 am

I was at STL this past week and was photographing a WN special paint aircraft. I felt a tug on my neck strap and it was a agent trying to take the bag off me to search it. It does not suprise me that they do this thing. Like any government agency it will never be run right like it should be.

lat41

Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:05 am

Yet another TSA bashing thread. This gets so monotonous. There is always more to the story than sensational headlines. Lets stick to civil aviation.

N747PE

Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:07 am

Careful with the term new all time low. The TSA is commited to going as low and their employesss can. Thank you W. for making such a awful curse that we all have to live with

kkephart13
Topic Author

Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:36 am

Quoting lat41 (Reply 2):
Yet another TSA bashing thread. This gets so monotonous. There is always more to the story than sensational headlines. Lets stick to civil aviation.

True, but i saw this, and had to share it.

Quoting N747PE (Reply 3):
Careful with the term new all time low. The TSA is commited to going as low and their employesss can. Thank you W. for making such a awful curse that we all have to live with

Embarassed to say this, I use to work for TSA at LAX, ONT, and PIT. It was a horrible job. Half those peoples "power" goes straight to their heads. I honestly hope one day, the badges get taken away from them.
EVERYTHING i type on here, is the opinion of ME and not of any airline/company.

PC12Fan

Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:38 am

Quoting lat41 (Reply 2):

We don't have to point out TSA faults. They do it just fine all on their own. Not all TSA employees are incompetent, but most are a joke that get an attitude when they wear the uniform.

Careful with the term new all time low.

Indeed, they've proven they can go lower when we all think they've reached that level. Stay tuned - they'll go lower.
Just when I think you've said the stupidest thing ever, you keep talkin'!

compensateme

Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:41 am

The TSA has disputed her account of events, but won't elaborate. There's two sides to every story.
Gordo:like this streaming video,Sky magazine,meals for sale at mealtime-make customer satisfaction rank so high at UA

Revelation

Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:43 am

Quoting crapper1 (Reply 1):
Like any government agency it will never be run right like it should be.

Hmm, the government university system I graduated from was run well enough to get me an excellent education that's served as the foundation of a career that's passing its 30th year and still going strong, with me directly and indirectly producing tax revenues that have paid for that education countless times over.

Personally, I'm glad it was not the University of Phoenix or some other for-profit diploma mill whose focus was on getting me a document that said 'diploma' on it at the maximum profit to themselves.

If you recall, or if you do your homework, it was a conscious decision to create TSA during the GWB era. The cross-party consensus at the time was that airlines and airports with their for-profit focus would be unsuitable as a provider of the increased security that was so obviously needed. It's clear that the TSA can be improved upon and that's what the goal should be, because the underlying premise is still true IMHO.
Inspiration, move me brightly!

soon7x7

Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:54 am

Quoting lat41 (Reply 2):
Lets stick to civil aviation

Good point!...their is nothing civil about the little creeps in blue.

phxa340

Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:55 am

Quoting lat41 (Reply 2):
Yet another TSA bashing thread. This gets so monotonous.

Then the TSA should stop giving us reasons to bash them ....

aviateur

Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:55 am

Actually, TSA sank to what should have been its all time low a long, long time ago.

It will keep sinking to NEW lows for as long as the lazy US populace, together with its irresponsible media and recalcitrant airlines, allow it to happen.

I've written several columns and articles documenting the farce of TSA concourse security, a few examples of which are truly Kafka-esque.

This example is just one more.

PS

[Edited 2012-10-10 19:02:20]
Patrick Smith is an airline pilot, air travel columnist and author

hOMSaR

Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:14 am

Quoting kkephart13 (Reply 4):
Embarassed to say this, I use to work for TSA at LAX, ONT, and PIT. It was a horrible job. Half those peoples "power" goes straight to their heads. I honestly hope one day, the badges get taken away from them.

Was just thinking, there was a post in another thread asking why nobody from the TSA ever posts on here. Well, here you go.
The plural of Airbus is Airbuses. Airbii is not a word, and doesn't even make sense.

N62NA

Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:21 am

Sorry to ruin the party, but I have NEVER had a problem with any TSA employee. I don't fly all over the place, but I hit some pretty major cities:

LGA, JFK, EWR
LAX
ORD
MIA
MSY
PHL
SJU

picarus

Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:57 am

Thank you W. for making such a awful curse that we all have to live with

If I remember correctly, W. was opposed to the creation of a federal transportation security agency. Although he buckled under public and political pressure, we really have Congress to thank for that mess.

I have no doubt this post will get me on the no fly list.  

PHX787

Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:12 am

I feel blessed that I never had a run in with the T.S.A. given the amount of flying I've had.

Quoting phxa340 (Reply 9):

Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

dcann40

Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:14 am

I was at STL this past week and was photographing a WN special paint aircraft. I felt a tug on my neck strap and it was a agent trying to take the bag off me to search it

And your reaction was?

Maverick623

Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:40 am

Quoting lat41 (Reply 2):
Lets stick to civil aviation.

What gets tiring is hearing that line in every single TSA thread. Like it or not, TSA is an integral part of civil aviation. If you have a problem with that, hit the little button that says "Suggest Deletion". If the mods agree with you, they will lock the thread.

Quoting CompensateMe (Reply 6):
The TSA has disputed her account of events, but won't elaborate. There's two sides to every story.

In my experience, when one side refuses to elaborate on a claim, it generally means they're lying.

Quoting Revelation (Reply 7):

If you recall, or if you do your homework, it was a conscious decision to create TSA during the GWB era. The cross-party consensus at the time was that airlines and airports with their for-profit focus would be unsuitable as a provider of the increased security that was so obviously needed. It's clear that the TSA can be improved upon and that's what the goal should be, because the underlying premise is still true IMHO.

I think the only people who want to go back to the way it was either have a financial interest in security companies or just plain don't remember what it was like. I am in the latter crowd, although several people have explained to me just how bad it was.

I felt a tug on my neck strap and it was a agent trying to take the bag off me to search it.

You should've pressed charges. Not even a cop is allowed to do that to you without announcing their presence unless they have a reasonable belief that you are about to commit a crime.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

Bobloblaw

Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:59 pm

Quoting lat41 (Reply 2):

If you want to stick it to civil aviation, keep the TSA. The whole DHS needs to be abolished.

md80fanatic

Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:24 pm

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 16):
I think the only people who want to go back to the way it was either have a financial interest in security companies or just plain don't remember what it was like. I am in the latter crowd, although several people have explained to me just how bad it was.

Let's go back further to how "good" it was, before everyone starts to think that this security "theater" has always been the norm.

Back in the days (80s) there was no "airside" ... one could enter the airport and walk right up to a gate, take a seat and watch airplanes taxiing around, gate operations, etc with no intention of flying that day. Families could gather 50 feet from where the passengers would leave the jet bridge, and not a half a mile away beyond "security". They could gather and wish their loved one's well and watch them, with tears flowing, until they disappeared 'round the bend on the jet bridge.

Travelers were treated with the utmost respect and reverence, as they should be (being the sole "customer" of passenger airlines) not despicable suspicious wonks one eye blink away from lighting their underwear or shoes on fire. I'm freaking sick of this farce, the weak link in "security" has never been with the customers, it's been everywhere BUT the customers and their belongings. Yet throngs of people go through these "security" checkpoints and literally give their tacit approval to this farce by their continued patronage of the airlines that support it. When will YOU stop flying? When the fabled TASER wristbands are attached to you at the TSA checkpoint? Will you then say "if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear"?

It was not al Queda that utterly ruined my one true love, it was someone else entirely.

Revelation

Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:49 pm

Quoting aviateur (Reply 10):
I've written several columns and articles documenting the farce of TSA concourse security, a few examples of which are truly Kafka-esque.

Maybe you can write about what corrective processes exist (if any) within the TSA, and if any of these corrective processes have produced results.

Frostbite

Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:09 pm

Quoting md80fanatic (Reply 18):
Travelers were treated with the utmost respect and reverence, as they should be (being the sole "customer" of passenger airlines) not despicable suspicious wonks one eye blink away from lighting their underwear or shoes on fire.

Come on, the security experience sucked long before the 9/11-era. Is it just me, or do people seem to forget what airport security was really like back in the pre-9/11 era? Most checkpoints were manned by contract security personnel that were poorly trained, poorly disciplined, and poorly paid. For example, any flyers here remember when Argenbright handled security at ATL?

Though I too object to some of the indignities that are hard-wired into the security process these days...on balance, I think TSA personnel exhibit a much more professional demeanor than the contract outfits they replaced. Of course there are exceptions, that's what these threads are all about, big picture be damned.

lightsaber
Crew

Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:35 pm

Quoting Frostbite (Reply 20):

Come on, the security experience sucked long before the 9/11-era. Is it just me, or do people seem to forget what airport security was really like back in the pre-9/11 era?

Yes. I remember walking family to the gate prior to a flight or greeting friends and relatives as they returned. I could show up at LAX 45 minutes before a flight, check a bag, and make the flight! At small airports (BDL, ICT), most of my friends didn't both showing up until 15 minutes before the flight for a day trip. Walk through and after a quick scan onto the plane.

And somehow with all those people parking at the metered spots traffic was better at LAX with more passengers flying!

Quoting Frostbite (Reply 20):
I think TSA personnel exhibit a much more professional demeanor than the contract outfits they replaced.

Agreed. But when one could lock suitcases, less stuff disappeared. There are two sides.

I personally believe all the security theater is diverting tourism from the USA.

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

brilondon

Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:14 pm

Quoting lat41 (Reply 2):

This is civil aviation, or do you think it should be in another forum?

Actually, TSA sank to what should have been its all time low a long, long time ago.

They keep digging the hole deeper though...

Quoting N62NA (Reply 12):

Sorry to ruin the party, but I have NEVER had a problem with any TSA employee. I don't fly all over the place, but I hit some pretty major cities:

LGA, JFK, EWR
LAX
ORD
MIA
MSY
PHL
SJU

I agree with you, I fly all the time and find that there is rarely an issue at the airports I use. I have never personally encountered any issues with the TSA. I find the ones in Hawaii very pleasant and they do their jobs with professionalism and dignity for the passengers. I take these isolated incidents and put them in my mind, but really on a day to day basis, they are just doing their jobs, most are able to do it without there being any issues and on occasions there might be a problem, but generally they are doing the governments bidding in a professional manner. Granted they don't enhance security but do give the impression that they are "keeping you safe" through the biggest waste of money the government can do on an on going basis.
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

SEA

Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:33 pm

Quoting brilondon (Reply 22):
I agree with you, I fly all the time and find that there is rarely an issue at the airports I use. I have never personally encountered any issues with the TSA. I find the ones in Hawaii very pleasant and they do their jobs with professionalism and dignity for the passengers. I take these isolated incidents and put them in my mind, but really on a day to day basis, they are just doing their jobs, most are able to do it without there being any issues and on occasions there might be a problem, but generally they are doing the governments bidding in a professional manner. Granted they don't enhance security but do give the impression that they are "keeping you safe" through the biggest waste of money the government can do on an on going basis.

I've never had any issues at all either. In fact, I've made notes of employees in DEN, COS, and SEA who were very outgoing and kind. And many times they are more friendly than FAs on some US legacy carriers... I will admit a few airports (ORD, ATL) where the TSA agents have been a bit cold, but still nothing unprofessional.

sweair

Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:48 pm

Those who defend TSA in every thread are they perhaps employed by TSA or tools of the government?

g1zmonc

Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:27 pm

TSA can not possibly sink to new LOWS, they are already there, I try to tolerate them, recently I took a reburfished computer to my x , I was worried about going thru security with it. I had more trouble with my keys and wallet than I did with a Gateway Tower and a 19 Dell LCD montior. Both those items went thru the xray machine on the belt but when my keys and wallet came thru the TSA agent asked if they were mine he advised me they needed more screening. I said whatever. So they wiped both my keys and wallet with the bomb scanning device and said they were okay but never touched the computer or the monitor. What a JOKE they are.

Revelation

Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:29 pm

Quoting sweair (Reply 24):
Those who defend TSA in every thread are they perhaps employed by TSA or tools of the government?

So, you're suggesting it's that simple a problem with that simple a motivation?

gsoflyer

Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:38 pm

It's really no different than Police or the like. Most are generally polite and are just working to the end of their day doing there job. But, people generally don't remember people that give the appearance of doing their job's right. What people see and remember are the hassles, inconvenience, uncomfortable situations, tongue lashings and general bossy "do what I say" attitude that some of the workers give.

In GSO, TUL, CMH, IAD, RDU, CLT, DTW I have found the staff fairly pleasant, if not downright pleasant. At EWR, ORD and ATL however, I have consistently had horrible experiences. This could be related to a number of factors.

The problem is, when it was private security, you could say that security at airport XX is horrible because the event and people are isolated. However, the TSA is now national and have a national image. And if people remember the bad, they remember all for being bad. I avoid Chicago like the plague because of how TSA acts there.

Flighty

Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:41 pm

The airline passenger bill of rights should limit what TSA is allowed to do. Let them search pax and their bags for weapons and explosive devices. That seems good. But random interrogations etc, no. TSA should only have the power to deny, or even delay, boarding if weapons or explosive devices are found on the person. Otherwise they should leave people alone.

smittyone

Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:08 pm

Quoting g1zmonc (Reply 25):
So they wiped both my keys and wallet with the bomb scanning device and said they were okay but never touched the computer or the monitor. What a JOKE they are.

I'm not a security guru but this might not be as dumb as you think.

'Sniffing' the things that you handle a lot (wallet/keys) has a better chance of detecting whether or not you've been playing with bomb making materials. The result of which might be in your checked luggage.

Not saying that the whole thing is or isn't a valid measure, just why they might have checked your keys but not your computer.

JHCRJ700

Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:34 pm

It will keep sinking to NEW lows for as long as the lazy US populace, together with its irresponsible media and recalcitrant airlines, allow it to happen.

Where may I find them? I'd love to read them. (No sarcasm here I would actually really like to read them).

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 16):
unless they have a reasonable belief that you are about to commit a crime

And there my friend is the problem. They would say some crap about taking pictures of planes shows your about to commit a crime of some kind.
RUSH

N62NA

Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:35 pm

I don't know if you are referring to me or not - I'm not aware that I have "defended TSA in every thread" - but when I see an entire group of people being disparaged, I feel the need to speak up. And if by sharing my experiences with TSA (which have been good) makes me a "tool of government" in your eyes, then I suggest you get some glasses or contact lenses.

canadianpylon

Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:51 pm

Quoting lat41 (Reply 2):

If the TSA would stop giving us reasons to bash them, then we could discuss other facets of civil aviation. I have to admit that reading yet another article about the incompetence of the TSA is like looking at a car accident on the highway. But, everyone slows down to take a look at the flipped car and the firetrucks.
Always looking for the longest route with the most transfers.

flyingturtle

Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:26 pm

Quoting HOMsAR (Reply 11):
Was just thinking, there was a post in another thread asking why nobody from the TSA ever posts on here. Well, here you go.

I was that guy.  
Quoting kkephart13 (Reply 4):
Embarassed to say this, I use to work for TSA at LAX, PIT.

In a community like this one, there is always room for a repentant sinner.  

David

[Edited 2012-10-11 14:28:29]
Keeping calm is terrorism against those who want to live in fear.

Bobloblaw

Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:49 pm

Back in the days (80s) there was no "airside" ... one could enter the airport and walk right up to a gate, take a seat and watch airplanes taxiing around, gate operations, etc with no intention of flying that day.

Well there was security in airport beginning about 1971-72. Up until 9-12-2001 many airport allowed non-passengers to go to that gate. I dont see why this still cant be allowed, aside from making lines longer.

JHCRJ700

Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:59 pm

Quoting Bobloblaw (Reply 34):

Back in the days (80s) there was no "airside" ... one could enter the airport and walk right up to a gate, take a seat and watch airplanes taxiing around, gate operations, etc with no intention of flying that day.

Well there was security in airport beginning about 1971-72. Up until 9-12-2001 many airport allowed non-passengers to go to that gate. I dont see why this still cant be allowed, aside from making lines longer.

Some of my fondest childhood memories were when my parents would take me to the airport and literally let me lead them around walking from gate to gate, terminal to terminal. Too bad those days are loooooong gone.
RUSH

skywaymanaz

Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:56 am

I'm amused reading so many people have never had issues with TSA. I experienced 10 invasive pat downs in a row immediately after they replaced private security in '02. They all said it was random, maybe one or two but not ten, that's just a lie later proven. The first TSA screener I ever met at CMH was extremely verbally abusive and shouted at me loudly, even in front of airport officials watching TSA's first week on the job. My "crime" in his mind was he asked me repeatedly to empty my pockets. I was clearly being uncoopertative by "lying" which he screamed at me when I said I'd emptied them already. Eventually we determined it was the button in the back pocket when he demanded to know what he was feeling in that pocket. When I explained he shouted HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW THAT!?. One of the airport officials followed me to my gate to talk to me about what had just happened. My flight was boarding, I didn't want to miss it, and thought it's just an isolated incident surely they'll get better. I've always regretted not talking to that man because no TSA didn't get better.

After getting invasive pat downs 10 times in a row that every screener swore I was randomly selected for I demanded to know what was going on. Only when I wanted their name and number to file a complaint was I told it was because I was wearing a sweater and it's baggy. It was winter go figure I'd wear a sweater. They weren't a banned item and nowhere then on TSA's website did it say anything about baggy clothes. It does say something about that now but at the time clearly I was being lied to. I doubt I'm the only one that got that treatment back then.

I wish I could say that screener at CMH was the only one who yelled at me. I've had a lot of them over the years. Once I went thru security at COS with my brother. He had a plane ticket to IAH and I had one to PHX. My brother went first and the guy was professional with my brother but was fairly nasty to me. You know honestly in that situation I would understand getting a "random" but no he was just nasty to me. Two people, possibly related with same last name, acting like they know each other I would have understood it could be seen as a red flag. If I were up to no good did he scare me straight? I had no secondary inspection of any kind just surly nasty TSA experience. The only thing I can even think of that may have set him off is my brother showed him a Texas DL and I showed him my passport. He turned nasty immediately after seeing it but made no comment about it or that I was doing anything wrong. I never show TSA my DL, ever, ever, ever. I've never had TSA question me about why I gave them a passport but I've seen a lot of them make a face like I'm just being a jerk to them. When I was a kid there was a man arrested breaking into houses who knew they were empty because he wrote down people's addresses on their luggage at the airport. I only put my name and phone numbers on my bag and I never show TSA my DL. What are the odds they'd remember my address? Yeah almost zero, but it is zero if they never see it. Sorry TSA but you've had a chronic problem with theft since the beginning. I think they know that's why I'm doing that and I think a few decide not to be professional about it.

Alas I really miss the days I could go to the airport. I love flying and on a few occassions would go way early when I had to pick someone up just to wander around the airport from gate to gate seeing the planes come and go. It really is a shame that will never come back. Airlines wanted an ID check in the 90's to crack down on frequent flyer fraud. I'd heard this several times in the early 90's but no airline wanted to be the first, they wanted the government to require it. After TWA 800 crashed that was one of the security measures that came into being, just in case. By making TSA check it airlines don't have to slow down boarding and now a machine can issue your boarding pass. So wandering the concourses without a ticket will never come back even if terrorists change their ways and everyone likes the US suddenly overnight.

Ok so maybe that never affects those of you who only want to be at the airport when you have to be right? Guess again. I was on a flight to MCI once diverted to OMA when three thunderheads parked themselves over MCI and didn't move for hours. After landing at OMA we were let off the plane and all the conessions on the concourse were closed. I had no idea, and still don't know, what TSA policy is on how do you reclear security if you exit a secured area in this case. My boarding pass says Kansas City on it, not Omaha, why would TSA let me back in? They'd probably refer me to the airline desk and who knows if they were open that late. In hindsight I could have asked the screeners before exiting, maybe I'd have been given an answer. I wrote TSA three separate times asking what their policy was in this event. Every time my concern was handled as a complaint and since no one did anything wrong it went nowhere. I even had the head of TSA at OMA email me back on my third attempt at an answer and they did seem sincere at my "complaint" and concern I wasn't being answered but guess they determined no one did anything wrong so they never wrote me back with an answer either. Anyone know what the policy is? I sure don't know and they don't want to tell me.

I want to be clear I am not opposed to airport security, unfortunately it is needed. When I was fresh out of high school I worked for Wackenhut Security (google them for some horror stories) doing screening for Eastern, Braniff and a few other carries at MCI one summer before college. I loved that job even though it was minimum wage. I have a cousin who until recently worked for TSA at CID. The problem isn't that security is there. The problem is the stupid rules, the lack of accountibility, the theft, the attitude that they can abuse the public and hide behind the rules to get away with it. The times I've asked questions that were legitimate concerns like above either I get the attitude we don't have to answer to you or I'm ignored. I think we all knew they'd have teething problems in the beginning but they haven't gotten better, they've gotten worse. There aren't a lot of good excuses for some of their behavior and the lows they sink to keep getting lower.

spiritair97

Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:31 am

Quoting gsoflyer (Reply 27):
At EWR, ORD and ATL however, I have consistently had horrible experiences.

One of my bad experiences was at EWR. I was doing one of my usual runs to MYR to see family and I had a model plane in my bag as a gift for somebody. The TSA agent apparently thought it was a dagger and left my bag in the machine longer. As it came out of the machine, I grabbed it, but was yelled at to STOP! from a TSA agent who had been observing my bag from another line. He cameover, scolded me for what I did, even though the bag was at the end of the line and ready to be picked up! He made me put the bag back into the machine and have it screened again because he didn't think the plane was actually a plane! It was humiliating being yelled at in front of a crowded EWR security checkpoint when the guy wasn't even working at the lane I was at. He was two over and ran over, causing a scene. This is, however, one of the only bad TSA experiences I have had. Mostly it's just dirty looks and sarcastic remarks, which don;t bother me that much. Some agents, however, worry me a bit. After I left the checkpoint at EWR, there was a seemingly abonded bag laying on a window sill, so, just to be safe, I alerted one of the agents. He turned his head halfway from his phone and told me to tell an agent near the bag. So, I found somebody else, who looked at the bag, and once I went on my way, he went on his! Didn't even give it any attention. I stopped at a nearby restaurant-type thing, (Can't remember the name), but the bag was in my sight for five minutes as it just sat there, unattended.

I know that most TSA Agents are trying to do their job right, and they are. But there are some that shouldn't be doing this job if they don't to do it right.

The TSA had no right to do what they did to this woman. If she checked up with the airline on what she had to do, why would there have been a legitamate problem? I don't know what these Agents thought she would:

A. Have running into her body through tubes
B. Have in a labeled medical bad with saline water in it

This is appalling and the agents who were involved in this should lose their jobs immediately.

aviateur

Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:43 am

Quoting N62NA (Reply 12):

It's not about "having a problem" with a specific employee. It's about the whole approach that TSA takes to passenger security. TSA guards can be the nicest people in the world; that doesn't excuse their protocols, or the fact that, for the most part, they are wasting our time and tax money.

PS

aviateur

Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:45 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 19):
Maybe you can write about what corrective processes exist (if any) within the TSA, and if any of these corrective processes have produced results.

I have. Visit my website and read my security manifesto.

PS

IMissPiedmont

Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:06 am

I am skeptical. That would not be a legal or sensible thing to do.

As to the original situation she probably should have contacted the TSA rather than Alaska Airlines.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

spiritair97

Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:12 am

I was at STL this past week and was photographing a WN special paint aircraft. I felt a tug on my neck strap and it was a agent trying to take the bag off me to search it. It does not suprise me that they do this thing. Like any government agency it will never be run right like it should be.

Wow, that guy had some nerve. Where in the terminal where you? Near security, or just there spotting? Either way, not really the best approach by the guy.

Also, just to be clear, you meant he tugged at your camera bag, right?

TWA772LR

Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:14 am

Don't let one bad apple spoil the bunch... TSA actually prevents harmful things from getting on airplanes, shocking right? You hear about it every once in a while. Just because one officer has a power trip doesn't mean all the agents are that way. Now CBP on the other hand...
Not every day we find light winds. What do we do in these situations? Fly.

skywaymanaz

Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:48 am

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 42):
Now CBP on the other hand...

Ironically when I had my Global Entry interview so I could get into the country faster and hopefully use TSA Pre Check I walked away thinking that is the nicest CBP officer I have ever talked to, and I mean ever! Yeah they're usually professional with nasty lurking right below the surface that comes out a lot. So I've never ever had one nice and it was kind of a shock. The TSA rep I talked to during the interview was extremely defensive, evasive and dissappeared quick. All I had asked her was what might disqualify me from TSA Pre Check. She literally said I was asking her for national secrets. Ok well yeah probably some of what would get you disqualified probably is secret. However I'd like to think committing a felony or making Blogger Bob's items confiscated this week post ought to get you bounced and that shouldn't be a secret at all.

s5daw

Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:59 pm

As a frequent flyer so far my experience with TSA and other security agencies (I mostly fly in EMEA) has been positive.
Like in any job there are individuals who are not professional and they hit the headlines.

Of course, headlines like "Thousands of TSA agents screened 3 million passengers in a day with no incidents" is not really newsworthy.

So, don't let a couple of incidents twist your perception of reality.

rwy04lga

Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:23 pm

Quoting Bobloblaw (Reply 34):
I dont see why this still cant be allowed, aside from making lines longer.

...and the crowding of the gates that would result. The gates are already crowded enough.

I was in line for TSA at JFK...the elderly Korean lady in front of me was asked ''What's your name?'' She didn't respond...''WHAT'S YOUR NAME?'' I said, ''If she didn't understand English the first time, yelling won't make her understand any better'' Then the agent yells ''SECONDARYYYY'' The other TSA agent tells me that ''The airline has selected you for additional screening.'' I said ''REALLY? Where's the code on the boarding pass? I work the check-in counters for this airline, I personally put the code on the boarding passes. MY airline didn't select me for screening, YOU DID...you're just trying to delay me and deflect blame from the TSA and instead, lay blame on the airlines.'' During the process, he became friendlier and eventually admitted that he lied...only because he knew he'd been busted.
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

TWA772LR

Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:29 pm

Quoting skywaymanaz (Reply 43):
Ironically when I had my Global Entry interview so I could get into the country faster and hopefully use TSA Pre Check I walked away thinking that is the nicest CBP officer I have ever talked to, and I mean ever! Yeah they're usually professional with nasty lurking right below the surface that comes out a lot. So I've never ever had one nice and it was kind of a shock. The TSA rep I talked to during the interview was extremely defensive, evasive and dissappeared quick. All I had asked her was what might disqualify me from TSA Pre Check. She literally said I was asking her for national secrets. Ok well yeah probably some of what would get you disqualified probably is secret. However I'd like to think committing a felony or making Blogger Bob's items confiscated this week post ought to get you bounced and that shouldn't be a secret at all.

Do CBP agents have high turnover? I worked in IAH's FIS in the summers of 2011 and 2012 and CBP in '11 were just a bunch of pricks. Very seldom would I enteract with a nice/cool agent. In '12, there were more cool agents, but still a lot of assholes. And new faces I might add.
Not every day we find light winds. What do we do in these situations? Fly.

135mech

Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:24 pm

Quoting phxa340 (Reply 9):

Precisely! This reminds me of the TSA "Agent" that opened up the jar of human remains, stuck her finger in it, stirred it around, dropped bits of it on the floor and laughed at the person trying to pick them back up.

When there's a new "low"...does it mean they are actually trying/striving for "new low" attention? LOL

I realize we don't pay them a lot, HOWEVER...take pride in your job and do the best you can! Recently, here in RAP we had some of our military deployers going through the airport ( just like many others before them), and TSA (Thousands Standing Around) actually stopped the line for 15+ minutes because they couldn't figure out what was in the bags (military items and personal items...same as before) and made many people miss their flights...including the deploying personnel.

So, while there are only a select few that "hate" the TSA haters... as has been said; "TSA should stop giving us reasons to bash them"!!!

Also, since the majority of these reports have the TSA in the "no comment" response...doesn't that show their lack of give-a-sh*t about doing things right or actually showing respect to the passengers???

Regards,
135Mech
135Mech

brilondon

Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:36 pm

I am not a tool nor do I work for the government. Every day millions of people travel through airports and have no problem. The story that is referred to is because it will get ratings and in the U.S. people as you can see above have issues with the TSA.

I felt a tug on my neck strap and it was a agent trying to take the bag off me to search it. It does not suprise me that they do this thing. Like any government agency it will never be run right like it should be.

And you did not know why you should be targeted? Why would you question their motives when all you have to do is act civil and show what you had in your bag. I assume you were at an American airport, where security was finally brought up to world standards. I have traveled all over the world and you think that the TSA is bad? Try taking pictures at CAN or PEK. You think that they would just pull at your shoulder strap? Heck, try TLV, see what they do.
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

N62NA

Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:54 pm

Quoting skywaymanaz (Reply 36):
The problem is the stupid rules, the lack of accountibility, the theft, the attitude that they can abuse the public and hide behind the rules to get away with it. The times I've asked questions that were legitimate concerns like above either I get the attitude we don't have to answer to you or I'm ignored.

I'm sorry you had so many problems. It was either bad luck or perhaps something in your attitude or approach towards them that raised a flag.

Now, as to your point that I quoted above, what you describe is unfortunately the way our Federal government is set up. There are literally hundreds of thousands of non-U.S. citizens who go through horrendous treatment at U.S. embassies when trying to obtain a visa to come to the USA and they are treated as less-than-human and are "presumed to have illegal immigration intent" (look it up, it's actually worded that way in the US Immigration law).

We have been trying now for 3 years to bring an EU citizen to the USA under the H-1B visa program. He doesn't have a "terrorist sounding name" and hasn't even gotten a parking ticket ever in his life. Yet the U.S. embassy over in Norway refuses to answer any inquiries from him OR from me (U.S. citizen) regarding why they have him in "administrative processing" for the past 2 years!

So this attitude of Federal government employees being "untouchable" and "ignoring questions" and basically treating WE THE TAXPAYERS as an annoyance and ignoring us is symptomatic of what a monstrosity of a huge bureaucracy breeds.

Quoting aviateur (Reply 38):
It's not about "having a problem" with a specific employee. It's about the whole approach that TSA takes to passenger security. TSA guards can be the nicest people in the world; that doesn't excuse their protocols, or the fact that, for the most part, they are wasting our time and tax money.

Yes, I agree in that in general our Federal government is totally out of control in many areas, and TSA, CBP / Immigration are at the top of the list.

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 42):
Don't let one bad apple spoil the bunch... TSA actually prevents harmful things from getting on airplanes, shocking right? You hear about it every once in a while. Just because one officer has a power trip doesn't mean all the agents are that way. Now CBP on the other hand...

I addressed CBP above. I agree with your other comments re: TSA.