JU068
Topic Author

Travel Liberalisation For Cubans, What Impact?

Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:50 am

Good morning.

I just read an article which stated that as of 14th January 2013 Cuban citizens will no longer require a government permit to leave the country. In order to receive the permit they needed to present an invitation letter from abroad, and in case they stayed longer than what is allowed (11 months) they could risk having all their property confiscated and would be considered as fugitives by the Cuban authorities. The Cuban government could turn down the offer without an explanation.

Now, will this have an impact on air travel? This should make travelling much easier for Cuban citizens. From what I can see Cuban citizens can travel without visas to Dominica, Ecuador, Grenada, Haiti, Saint Kittis and Nevis, Saint Lucia and to the Saint Vincent and the Grenadines.

Any thoughts?

http://www.lefigaro.fr/flash-actu/20...ba-elimine-le-permis-de-sortir.php

robffm2

RE: Travel Liberalisation For Cubans, What Impact?

Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:38 pm

If the US government would now allow the free travel of its own citizen to Cuba, that would be BIG news!

PHX787

Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:37 pm

Quoting robffm2 (Reply 1):
If the US government would now allow the free travel of its own citizen to Cuba, that would be BIG news!

Now I'm hearing rumors US government is lifting the travel ban too. That of course depends on the administration and the future one (    ) getting their heads out of their   

At the same time, it's not necessarily a priority for the government right now, but at the same time, it's something that shouldn't take long to do either.

Plus, more people flying to/from America to more markets = more $$$$ for us.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

flymia

Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:46 pm

This should be interesting. They would still need a Visa to enter the U.S. but certainly we could see an increase of flights between Cuba and the U.S. especially at the obvious airports like MIA FLL and JFK. Now if the U.S. lifted travel restrictions it would cause a large increase in service. MIA and FLL could easily see hourly shuttles as long as the Cuban government allowed it.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

JU068
Topic Author

Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:20 am

Quoting flymia (Reply 3):

Who knows, maybe in the near future we could see a Cubana IL-96 in New York. That would be a sight! 

PanHAM

Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:23 am

This all has little impact, those you might be able to travel make US$ 20,00 per month and hardly have the money to use the new liberties without the help from their relatives in the US, those who have the money will not be allowed to leave because of their importance to ........ whichever part they work in.

Reminds me a bit of the old DDR, those who could ztravel had no importance and the state was happy if they stayed in the West. One less mouth to feed.

I am afraid there won't be lL86s at JFK until Cuba really is Cubra libre.