hiflyeras

VX Trims Schedules And Staff During Winter

Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:19 pm

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-1...t-on-slower-winter.html?cmpid=yhoo

While a schedule reduction of 3% in the winter isn't a big surprise, trying to get your employees to take a voluntary leave or less hours is a tough sell. First hint of troubles at VX?

LAXintl

Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:41 pm

3% reduction and voluntary leaves seems to be standard procedure these days for the airlines during the winter.

Also keep in mind, VX has no more planes due in the short run (matter of fact only a single new frame till September 2013) so things were going to be flat at the very best anyhow.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

rgreenftm

Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:51 pm

I'm not sure you can call a 3% reduction a chopped schedule. Just saying.

hiflyeras

Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:04 pm

Quoting rgreenftm (Reply 2):
I'm not sure you can call a 3% reduction a chopped schedule. Just saying.

How about delicately sliced?   Fact is that Cush stated in the email to employees that they were having financial difficulties. This is after spending millions on a training center in Burlingame that won't be getting much use as far as new-hires and for new front-line unifoms just a few months ago.

santi319

Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:14 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 1):
3% reduction and voluntary leaves seems to be standard procedure these days for the airlines during the winter.

Name one??? I know for a fact NK, B6, WN, DL,G4 are not doing this. NK even opened a new base in DFW.

rgreenftm

Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:23 pm

Quoting HiFlyerAS (Reply 3):
How about delicately sliced?

That seems fair  

I feel compelled to state that I am a strong supporter of AS, so this news doesn't really disappoint me, but I still feel like the title was a bit over dramatic. Still 2,600 people have staked their livelihood on the success of the airline, and that never feels good to see some of them lose jobs/hours.

LAXintl

Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:25 pm

Quoting santi319 (Reply 4):
Name one???

How about United and Delta.

Both have provided downward capacity guidance for this winter, and have various leaves of absence programs ongoing.

Southwest also has provided downward guidance for the winter of 2-3% previously. We will probably have updated numbers from them tomorrow at their earnings call.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

RyanairGuru

Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:27 pm

Name one???

UA, AA, US, and er...

I know for a fact ... DL ... are not doing this

Yes they are, DL is the airline which does the most seasonal trimming
Worked Hard, Flew Right

MaverickM11

Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:28 pm

Put a fork in it. They're dunzo.

Not for 'startups'

Name one??? I know for a fact NK, B6, WN, DL,G4 are not doing this. NK even opened a new base in DFW.

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 6):
Both have provided downward capacity guidance for this winter, and have various leaves of absence programs ongoing.

DL and UA are also consistently profitable as of late, and have huge baggage from decades of operation and multiple bankruptcies. For VX to start acting like a legacy is in no way good thing.
E pur si muove -Galileo

santi319

Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:30 pm

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 7):
Yes they are, DL is the airline which does the most seasonal trimming

Huh? They added a ton of flights? Even those CUN to almost every major city in the US flights plus transcon and Caribbean....

RyanairGuru

Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:34 pm

Quoting santi319 (Reply 9):
They added a ton of flights?

Right, so they added a couple of flights to CUN one a week. On the other hand they always cut a ton of TATL capacity, even discontinuing some routes, through the winter months and on domestic flights they generally cuts capacity (note, capacity, not number of flights per se) by around 3%. This can come about just by down gauging a 76 to a 75 etc, but DL are very proactive at not flying around fresh air during slow periods.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

MaverickM11

Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:38 pm

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 10):
DL are very proactive at not flying around fresh air during slow periods.

They also have a much higher exposure to seasonal markets, particularly in terms of ASMs. While everyone pulls back for lower seasons (even VX, as they have in previous years), and flex up in the summer, for VX to pull down and offer buyouts and to be on track to lose $1B, this is not good, nor 'business as usual'.
E pur si muove -Galileo

RyanairGuru

Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:38 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 8):
DL and UA are also consistently profitable as of late, and have huge baggage from decades of operation and multiple bankruptcies. For VX to start acting like a legacy is in no way good thing.

I'm confused. We can accept that fewer people fly during winter than during summer, right? So surely VX are competing for a smaller pool of travellers. Either they can (a) trash yields or (b) cut capacity. Are you suggesting that it is wrong for a corporation (even a newly established one) to take basic steps to mitigate against the impact of a downturn in consumer spending?

Also remember that they only have 1 aircraft coming in the next 12 months, so they can use this down turn for maintenance which allows them to abuse their aircraft next summer.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

BMI727

Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:42 pm

Quoting HiFlyerAS (Thread starter):
First hint of troubles at VX?

I would have called the losses they've suffered the first hint of trouble.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

allegiantflyer

Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:52 pm

VX needs to start thinking about making hubs and focus cities outside of California,I know they want to be that California airline but to possibly make more profit they need to expand outside of the state. Maybe FLL? IAD, DTW, PHX, MCO, PHL,MSP are all some of really good options,i know they don't serve some of those but they may in time. Another thing i see them doing is expanding more in JFK,they already have done a great job doing so but maybe they should add more destinations more south,like FLL,MCO,and DFW. I really hope VX gets out of this tough time they are the only more than decent carrier the U.S. Has left.

hiflyeras

Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:52 pm

Let me rephrase that. First 'admission' of trouble.

phxa340

Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:58 pm

I am empathetic to a lot of VX supporters who love the airline. Their product is excellent, consistent, and evolving. However , from a business model they are a train wreck. Their financials have not improved , many on here can spin it as they want but their markets they choose to compete in are hyper competitive.

VX chose to compete in the LA, SFO, BOS, NY markets which have a ton of high yeilding business customers which was a good choice IMO. They made 2 huge mistakes though - no comp first class upgrades and a weak domestic network with no domestic airline partners , both things high yeilding business travelers look for.

commavia

Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:12 am

This is after spending millions on a training center in Burlingame that won't be getting much use as far as new-hires and for new front-line unifoms just a few months ago.
Quoting phxa340 (Reply 16):
I am empathetic to a lot of VX supporters who love the airline. Their product is excellent, consistent, and evolving. However , from a business model they are a train wreck. Their financials have not improved , many on here can spin it as they want but their markets they choose to compete in are hyper competitive.

Reminds me of Legend.

I agree that Virgin does have an absolutely top-notch product - after flying them several times, I can definitely personally attest to that. I still continue to question the underlying viability of their business plan, though, because I am not sure how scalable their business model is given the market niche the cater to and the routes they focus on. Time will tell.

zmp0psa

Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:19 am

Not sure where DL is asking employees to take voluntary leaves or less hours is occuring? FA's or pilots? I know the ramp employees in the colder part of the country are heading into the busy season with deicing, and ready reserves in those stations are or soon will be at 40 hours again.

EA CO AS

RE: VX Trims Schedules And Staff During Winter

Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:30 am

It's generally the slow time from mid-September to mid-November where carriers look for voluntary leaves.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

usairways85

Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:41 am

Quoting phxa340 (Reply 16):
VX chose to compete in the LA, SFO, BOS, NY markets which have a ton of high yeilding business customers which was a good choice IMO. They made 2 huge mistakes though - no comp first class upgrades and a weak domestic network with no domestic airline partners , both things high yeilding business travelers look for.

I think they are at a huge disadvantage with their network. A predominantly domestic carrier with hubs on the two coasts results in a limited number of connection opportunities. Their network is basically a bunch of transcons with a few west coast and leisure mexican destinations. B6 has succeeded in that strategy bc they have built up a number of short hauls that can realistically feed the longer flts.

I tried VX on LAX-PHL and I will say I was impressed but not blown away. They offer a unique service which is refreshing in today's industry. They offered dirt cheap fares to complete (especially with AA at DFW) but they are as bad as any other carrier when it comes to "incidentals". The Premium Economy fee at T-24 hours isn't cheap, $15 for wifi, $8 for 1 on demand movie, $10 for a turkey sandwich. Those fees can easily add up.

As a frequent flier VX's poor FF program and limited network do nothing for me and thus I'll stick to my carrier and only fly VX maybe when the price is right.

flyfitch

Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:48 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 8):

Wouldn't VX offering furloughs instead of voluntary leave make them more like a legacy? I think it shows that they are not like a legacy, since they aren't just cutting people.

MaverickM11

Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:10 am

Quoting flyfitch (Reply 21):
Wouldn't VX offering furloughs instead of voluntary leave make them more like a legacy? I think it shows that they are not like a legacy, since they aren't just cutting people.

When did WN/B6/NK/G4 first start doing either?
E pur si muove -Galileo

F9Animal

Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:04 am

This is the slower season for all airlines. I know F9 reduces frequencies system wide during this time. Almost all airlines do some form of change during this time. Nothing shocking. In fact, 3% is relatively small in comparison to what some airlines do during this time.
I Am A Different Animal!!

deltal1011man

Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:15 am

nope. I think the last two years of burning money would take care of that.  
Quoting flyfitch (Reply 21):
I think it shows that they are not like a legacy, since they aren't just cutting people.

uhh...what? When has Delta laid-off employees just because its winter?
New airliners.net web site sucks.

hiflyeras

Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:28 am

If you want a constant, steady operation you move your capacity to sunny destinations if your 'summer' routes don't need the same lift. VX flies to SJD, PVR and CUN...but apparently they aren't ramping up service in the winter to those destinations to make up for winter cuts to their trans-con flying. They must know something we don't...that those routes can't support additional VX flights and that their yields would take a beating. Makes me wonder just how well they're doing on flights to Mexico. Maybe they can fill one flight a day but they must be assuming that even twice a day is not practical.

NWADTWE16

Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:35 am

Wouldnt they do well in the business markets of SFO/LAX to MEX or is it already overserved?

mariner

Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:20 am

Quoting HiFlyerAS (Reply 25):
They must know something we don't...that those routes can't support additional VX flights and that their yields would take a beating. Makes me wonder just how well they're doing on flights to Mexico. Maybe they can fill one flight a day but they must be assuming that even twice a day is not practical.

Although the LCC's do very well to Mexico, almost all of them work with a vacation packager, such as Apple or Funjet - Frontier obviously with Apple, and Funjet is teaming with Apple on a lot of flights. Similarly, Sun Country at MSP, LAN and DFW and even Airtran (Southwest) at AUS/MKE/DTW/BWI etc, as well as Southwest Vacations. JetBlue does BOS-CUN/PUJ and LRM - La Romana - for/with Apple, but it also has its own in-house packager.

Without those, Mexico can be tough, because of the numbers of pax being sucked up by the packagers and the legacies.

Virgin America has its own in-house packager too, but it's still quite small and is competing in a well-supplied market.

I don't know if it has any such overall deal or any CPA's with the big boys, although I know it is doing a few charters for Funjet (also BOS-CUN/PUJ). It has some sort of a deal with Expedia, but again I don't know how if that involves capacity purchase.

I don't see any big packager listing Virgin for its west coast/Mexico routes - there may be some, but I haven't found them.

mariner

[Edited 2012-10-17 23:26:20]
aeternum nauta

EA CO AS

Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:28 am

Quoting NWADTWE16 (Reply 26):
Wouldnt they do well in the business markets of SFO/LAX to MEX or is it already overserved?

IIRC, the route authorities in those markets are already allocated to other carriers. They can't just decide to start flying it without it.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

UALWN

Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:32 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 22):
When did WN/B6/NK/G4 first start doing either?

Are these legacies? This just proves the point that VX is acting like those companies you mention, hence not like a legacy.
AT7/111/146/Avro/CRJ/CR9/EMB/ERJ/E75/F50/100/L15/DC9/D10/M8X/717/727/737/747/757/767/777/787/AB6/310/32X/330/340/380

neveragain

Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:44 am

Quoting usairways85 (Reply 20):
As a frequent flier VX's poor FF program and limited network do nothing for me and thus I'll stick to my carrier and only fly VX maybe when the price is right.

Agree completely. I have flown VX, had a perfectly decent experiences, and enjoyed the vastly superior inflight ammenities. But sadly for VX network coverage, frequency, and price are still king in my book.

How about delicately sliced? Fact is that Cush stated in the email to employees that they were having financial difficulties. This is after spending millions on a training center in Burlingame that won't be getting much use as far as new-hires and for new front-line unifoms just a few months ago.

I wonder if they have cut their internal budget for BBQs ourside their Burlingame headquarters? From my own observation they were held very frequently and were a bit over-the-top for a company that has been posting loss after loss each quarter.

deltal1011man

Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:18 am

Quoting UALWN (Reply 29):
Are these legacies? This just proves the point that VX is acting like those companies you mention, hence not like a legacy.

and again I'll ask....when has AA/UA/US/DL laid-off people during seasonal pull downs?
New airliners.net web site sucks.

MaverickM11

Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:20 pm

Quoting UALWN (Reply 29):

Huh? They're successful carriers--which I don't believe have ever done what VX is doing. Heck, legacy carriers are successful at this point. VX is acting like a company that has lost almost $1B and 'now that its growth period is over it can see the revenue growth it needs' by temporarily reducing its workforce, just like....exactly whom?
E pur si muove -Galileo

LAXtoATL

Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:29 pm

Quoting Deltal1011man (Reply 31):
and again I'll ask....when has AA/UA/US/DL laid-off people during seasonal pull downs?

While technically not a lay-off, DL does have seasonal employees which they inactivate during seasonal pull downs which gives DL the same benefit.

jfklganyc

Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:38 pm

Quoting Deltal1011man (Reply 31):

It's no different. Except VX hasn't done this before. And let's not fool ourselves:

1. They are losing money ... with metrics getting worse not better
2. They are small and can not absorb the losses they have seen on a continuing basis
3. People are concerned (rightly so based on 1 and 2) that this is the beginning of a shrinking of an already small airline

You can not compare an airline with 500+ airplanes to one with less than 100. AA laid off more employees than all that are employed by VX.

Different scale

UALWN

Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:49 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 32):
They're successful carriers--which I don't believe have ever done what VX is doing.

They do reduce their schedule during the low seasons. Do they do that while keeping everybody on the payroll, with some earning a salary for doing nothing? Doubtful.
AT7/111/146/Avro/CRJ/CR9/EMB/ERJ/E75/F50/100/L15/DC9/D10/M8X/717/727/737/747/757/767/777/787/AB6/310/32X/330/340/380

MaverickM11

Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:21 pm

Quoting UALWN (Reply 35):
Do they do that while keeping everybody on the payroll, with some earning a salary for doing nothing? Doubtful.

Of course not, but there's really not much staff trimming during the winter--you can't reduce FAs/Pilots/MX/etc and HQ staffing is pretty much what it is year round. There may be some reduction in contractors but that's about it. If you think this VX reduction is "business as usual" then you're fooling yourself.
E pur si muove -Galileo

UALWN

Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:58 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 36):
If you think this VX reduction is "business as usual" then you're fooling yourself.

VX is reducing their flying by 3% in the winter, and reducing staff by an untold amount. How is that unusual? If other companies reduce flying by a similar amount but do not furlough anybody, whereas VX performs the same reduction in flying while taking the opportunity to save on personnel costs, how is that bad for VX?

I bet if the opposite was true, some here (ehem) would take the opportunity to lambast VS's management for failing to save money during the low season...

phxa340

Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:19 pm

Quoting UALWN (Reply 37):
I bet if the opposite was true, some here (ehem) would take the opportunity to lambast VS's management for failing to save money during the low season...

VX's management should be lambasted for one reason and one reason alone - a complete failure to produce any sort of profit. Their losses are GROWING , not shrinking.

I am going to get slammed for saying this but here it is - after watching them and their financials for the past 2 years - VX is not a viable business moving forward and they are going to be in for a major restructuring whether that be a complete change of their business model , merger, or sale. Product differentiation does not help in the airline industry - only price differentiation (You having the lowest price).

MaverickM11

Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:39 pm

Quoting UALWN (Reply 37):
VX is reducing their flying by 3% in the winter, and reducing staff by an untold amount. How is that unusual?

The Winter reduction is industry standard, and a 3% difference between Summer and Winter is even pretty tame. The reduction in workforce, however, is extraordinary. Other airlines don't furlough or trim workforces for short periods; people, like planes, are hard to get rid of for only a season.

Quoting phxa340 (Reply 38):
VX is not a viable business moving forward and they are going to be in for a major restructuring whether that be a complete change of their business model , merger, or sale. Product differentiation does not help in the airline industry - only price differentiation (You having the lowest price).

I don't think there's anything else to say, really.
E pur si muove -Galileo

lightsaber
Crew

Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:44 pm

Quoting Deltal1011man (Reply 24):

nope. I think the last two years of burning money would take care of that.

That sums up my opinion. From the OP link:
may need to pursue a “major restructuring” to survive, said Hunter Keay, an analyst at Wolfe Trahan & Co. in New York. Virgin America has competition on every route, such as San Francisco to New York. Each of the 11 other airlines Keay follows has a monopoly on at least 25 percent of their routes, he said.

I'm surprised VX has no monopoly routes.

Also from the OP link:The airline’s network doesn’t allow it to easily shift planes to shorter north-south “sun routes” that are more popular in the cold months, he said.
VX needs to attain the flexibility for year round profitability.

VX just hasn't found the people who like their service who are willing to pay for it.  

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

SANFan

Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:47 pm

I find this remark from the article to be one of the most telling/revealing/important:

Quote:
The January to March period is “challenging” for the industry, especially because Virgin America’s coast-to-coast routes often “underperform in the winter months,” Cush wrote in the letter. The airline’s network doesn’t allow it to easily shift planes to shorter north-south “sun routes” that are more popular in the cold months, he said.

And tell us, Mr. Cush, exaclty who's fault is that?

Since their first anniversary, I have felt that VX's route structure could very well prove to be their undoing, and they have continued to operate the carrier with only 1 -- now 2 with their amazing new weekly PSP-JFK flight -- p-2-p, non-LAX/SFO routes. And again, how is that working for you, CEO Cush?

Wasn't VX thought to be getting ready for an IPO sometime next year? I think I won't be holding my breath for that...

bb

UALWN

Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:05 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 39):
Other airlines don't furlough or trim workforces for short periods; people, like planes, are hard to get rid of for only a season.

Then, kudos to VX for managing to do it!

phxa340

Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:49 pm

Quoting UALWN (Reply 42):

I find it difficult to give the management team at VX any sort of kudos. A new entry to a market should be expanding every month , not contracting. I think what others are trying to convey is that VX is doing this because the winter months are going to be even more unforgiving to VX vs other carriers. VX can't even turn a profit during the summer travel months, the winter is going to be a blood bath for them when you factor in the lower demand and lower yeilds.

MaverickM11

Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:25 pm

That's like congratulating the Titanic captain for lowering the lifeboats, ignoring everything that lead up to that point, that was also under his control.
E pur si muove -Galileo

brilondon

Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:41 pm

AC and WS to a lesser extent. They make up for it with Holiday charters.

Quoting santi319 (Reply 9):
Huh? They added a ton of flights? Even those CUN to almost every major city in the US flights plus transcon and Caribbean....

But they shift capacity from other areas so they don't look like they are reducing the total number of flights. The TATL flight schedules would show a reduction in capacity, if not flight reductions.
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

lightsaber
Crew

Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:58 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 44):
That's like congratulating the Titanic captain for lowering the lifeboats, ignoring everything that lead up to that point, that was also under his control.

So true.

VX has a serious issue. As already noted, they should be a start up growing every month, even during the slow season. To start adopting mature company policies before estabilishing a profitable route structure is not a good forward indicator.

VX needs a major restructuring. #1 on the list must be reducing non-operating costs.

I know people who really enjoy flying the airline. However, the business model is poor.

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

UALWN

Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:10 pm

Quoting phxa340 (Reply 43):
I find it difficult to give the management team at VX any sort of kudos.
Quoting lightsaber (Reply 46):
VX has a serious issue.

I was being moderately facetious. Indeed, VX seems to have serious problems. However, reducing the winter capacity by 3% may not be the biggest one.

Hahaha. That's a good one!

SANFan

Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:21 pm

Excellent summation of Virgin's journey, Maverick'!

bb

phlwok

Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:50 pm

Quoting allegiantflyer (Reply 14):
VX needs to start thinking about making hubs and focus cities outside of California,I know they want to be that California airline but to possibly make more profit they need to expand outside of the state.

Well, they're not making any profit anywhere, so something needs to change.

Quoting allegiantflyer (Reply 14):
Maybe FLL? IAD, DTW, PHX, MCO, PHL,MSP are all some of really good options

How is attempting to set up mini hubs in others' fortress hubs a good idea? FLL and MCO might not count as fortress hubs, but they are not high yield locations (especially MCO) and AA has fought in FLL pretty hard to protect MIA in the past.