SA7700
Topic Author

New AA Color Scheme Confirmed...painted - Part 2

Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:08 pm

This is a continuation thread of part 1 which can be found here: New AA Color Scheme Confirmed...painted - Part 1

Please feel free to continue your discussion in this thread.

Regards,

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

mhkansan

RE: New AA Color Scheme Confirmed...painted - Part 2

Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:56 pm

Well, Retro is the word of the day. I found a rendering of the 787 in the "astrojet" scheme.

http://nycaviation.com/newspage/wp-content/gallery/aa-787/aa5l.jpg

I'm hoping the change is a tasteful refresh on what we've got already, a la US Airways or Alitalia. I'm incredibly excited for the new look and for 77W!!

TWA772LR

Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:11 pm

Quoting mhkansan (Reply 1):

Well, Retro is the word of the day. I found a rendering of the 787 in the "astrojet" scheme.

That looks awesome! Maybe the new scheme will be the red, white, and blue cheatline they have now, and apply that to all the orange areas on the retro scheme! Haha...

Jokes aside, I'm looking forward to the "rebirth" of AA. They have been down for too long and the industry definitely needs the competition.

Who knows, maybe they will start a QF/Jetstar scenario and revive the TWA brand  . One can only hope...
Beauty is watching a 787 bank to make a short final. Bliss is watching that 787 with a good beer. Nirvana is all of that with a beautiful woman on your side.

scbriml

Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:17 pm

IMHO, that's awful.

I'm hoping the change is a tasteful refresh on what we've got already

Please no!   

The new AA needs a complete revamp and to move away from the old AA. No homage, no retro scheme. New, fresh, 21st century is what they need. Bare metal is just so last century. From what we've seen of the 77W so far, it looks like that's where they're moving.

Don't get me wrong, I really liked the current livery. But that was about 40 years ago.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

PHX787

Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:21 pm

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 2):
That looks awesome! Maybe the new scheme will be the red, white, and blue cheatline they have now, and apply that to all the orange areas on the retro scheme! Haha...

Indeed it does but they cannot polish the 787 like that  
Quoting scbriml (Reply 3):
The new AA needs a complete revamp and to move away from the old AA.

Agreed, as I stated in the last thread. New image always = new company morale to achieve its goals.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

gegarrenton

Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:47 pm

That would be epic.

Viscount724

Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:31 pm

That looks like the livery before the Astrojet livery, where the paint wrapped around the nose and the rudder and engine intakes were painted. Examples below.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © David Schulman
View Large View Medium

Photo © David C. Gayden

This was the Astrojet livery. No paint on the nose, rudder or engine intakes.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Bob Garrard
View Large View Medium

Photo © Bob Garrard

OB1504

Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:44 pm

The 757 wore the Jet Flagship colors, while the current 737 wears the Astrojet colors.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jonathan Derden - Jetwash Images
View Large View Medium

Photo © Josh Akbar - PHX Spotters

DocLightning

Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:08 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 3):
IMHO, that's awful.

I think it looks amazing! I hope they do it on one 787. But I agree that it would be an awful livery for an entire fleet.

It is neither Astrojet nor Jet Flagship. In fact, I'm not sure it's a true historical livery at all. There is one too many "zigs" in the cheatline and it narrows before it broadens into the nose. Also, the orange on the rudder should be a broken bar with "AMERICAN" interrupting it.

Either way, it's pretty rad.

And, as long as we're doing fantasy liveries, here's something entirely irrelevant to the discussion at hand, just for fun:
http://www.clavework-graphics.co.uk/aircraft/fantasy_4/F355_F16A_Delta.jpg
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

redzeppelin

Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:18 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 6):

I like the AA logo on the 707s with the big eagle and the smaller A's.

BlueLine

Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:22 pm

Does anyone else here think the new livery 77W will be rolled out along with an OO CR2 with a new Eagle paint job? I believe AA should be taking delivery around the same time OO will begin flying for American Eagle out of LAX. I think a ceremony debuting both schemes is in the works.

qqflyboy

Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:50 pm

Quoting BlueLine (Reply 10):
Does anyone else here think the new livery 77W will be rolled out along with an OO CR2 with a new Eagle paint job? I believe AA should be taking delivery around the same time OO will begin flying for American Eagle out of LAX. I think a ceremony debuting both schemes is in the works.

I had wondered if OO's American Eagle scheme would sport AA's new colors, but in another thread, somebody wrote two OO aircraft are already in Eagle's current livery. Perhaps it's just too close and AA didn't want to let the cat out of the bag. Not sure, but it's interesting timing for sure.

[Edited 2012-10-21 16:51:29]
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

dtw9

Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:01 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 8):
It is neither Astrojet nor Jet Flagship. In fact, I'm not sure it's a true historical livery at all. There is one too many "zigs" in the cheatline and it narrows before it broadens into the nose

That is the original Flagship livery worn first by the DC-3

[Edited 2012-10-21 17:02:19]

milesrich

Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:07 am

The Flagship Script comes from the DST and DC-3's of the 1930's.

PHX787

Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:20 am

And, as long as we're doing fantasy liveries, here's something entirely irrelevant to the discussion at hand, just for fun:

Wooooooooow I wonder if DL would actually do that for airshow purposes   

Quoting redzeppelin (Reply 9):
I like the AA logo on the 707s with the big eagle and the smaller A's.

Maybe they can combine that with a modern wave or curve stripe or something that combines a bi-color on the fuselage?

darkroast

Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:54 am

I would guess there is a large fuel surcharge on these flights?  

Regards

caribb

Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:07 am

Looks nice. Not sure how they would get a composite fuselage to reflect like that though. I like the cheatline however, it flows nicely

Hehe.. kinda cool. I wonder if Delta, United and/or American would ever consider getting a few F16s or F22's two person variants and charge ridiculous prices to fly wealthy executives anywhere in the US at supersonic speeds plus give them the experience of being in a fighter jet. You know people would do it.. there'd be a line up. It would be a personalized "Concorde"  

clickhappy

Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:26 am

Word from Tempe is that is an interim AA/US merger tie-in scheme. Haters gonna hate, but I will let my record speak for its self.

durangomac

Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:31 am

Quoting qqflyboy (Reply 11):
I had wondered if OO's American Eagle scheme would sport AA's new colors, but in another thread, somebody wrote two OO aircraft are already in Eagle's current livery. Perhaps it's just too close and AA didn't want to let the cat out of the bag. Not sure, but it's interesting timing for sure.

Yes there are at least two aircraft already painted and being stored at TUS until the start in a couple weeks. They look like the current Eagle paint nothing new.

DoubleDelta

Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:45 am

Quoting clickhappy (Reply 17):
Word from Tempe is that is an interim AA/US merger tie-in scheme.

I won't second guess you, as I'm not familiar with your record... but based on what was said in the other thread from the member who claimed they knew of two insiders who have seen the new livery — nothing was stated suggesting it was some sort of interim merger livery. It seemed like it was a 100% AA original livery. So, essentially what you are saying is brand new.

Also, I haven't been keeping up with the AA/US merger talks, but is this something that is already a done deal or nothing more than serious talking??
Northwest Airlines — my very first flight aboard a Boeing 727-251ADV.

iFlyLOTs

Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:51 am

Quoting DoubleDelta (Reply 19):
Also, I haven't been keeping up with the AA/US merger talks, but is this something that is already a done deal or nothing more than serious talking??

Not really for this thread but they signed a NDA and are in serious talks apparently.

Quoting dtw9 (Reply 12):
That is the original Flagship livery worn first by the DC-3

It should have American written on the nose to make it exactly the same, just me being nit-picky again..
"...stay hungry, stay foolish" -Steve Jobs

rj777

Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:54 am

Well, if they've already got a new livery planned, then some sort of arrangement must be reached!

JBo

Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:08 am

Quoting rj777 (Reply 21):
Well, if they've already got a new livery planned, then some sort of arrangement must be reached!

Says who? American may be planning a rebranding regardless of whether or not they reach a merger agreement with US or choose to emerge from Bankruptcy as independent.
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

JAAlbert

Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:09 am

Word from Tempe is that is an interim AA/US merger tie-in scheme. Haters gonna hate, but I will let my record speak for its self.

What a way to ruin a party! Jeez!

It seems odd that AA would commit to an interim AA/US livery without news of a merger taking place being released. I suppose the two airlines could have concluded a merger deal and kept it completely secret, but with the bankruptcy it seems keeping such news quiet would be difficult. Plus, I would've thought someone - Bloomberg or some other entity, would have leaked a lil something. Also, AA and APA have resumed contract negotiations - why would AA return to the table if it were about to merge? I thought APA had already made some sort of agreement with US if a merger were to take place. If a merger had been concluded, I'd think the parties would just table the discussion until the new management came aboard.

Lotsa questions, hmmmm....

PHX787

Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:11 am

I'm curious to know who you've heard from, because the rumors I've been hearing is that US is backing off for a while until AA can adjust itself....but then again, you do have an extensive record indeed, and this sort of thing is none too surprising to occur after a merger.

Quoting rj777 (Reply 21):

We never know until the fat lady...or Doug Parker....sings

edit:

I don't know why I haven't seen this on this website yet.
http://blogs.wsj.com/middleseat/2012...es-likely-to-get-new-paint-scheme/

[Edited 2012-10-21 20:22:05]

Mcoov

Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:11 am

ಠ_ಠ Oh lord.
Looks like American is finally going to get that IATA code it always wanted. Not sure much else can come out of this.

[Edited 2012-10-21 20:12:21]

[Edited 2012-10-21 20:12:39]

iFlyLOTs

Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:24 am

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 24):
We never know until the fat lady...or Doug Parker....sings

He's been trying to work out   

But I doubt that it is a merger livery. I could be wrong though, its been known to happen.
"...stay hungry, stay foolish" -Steve Jobs

FSXJunkie

Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:45 am

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 14):

Not much profit in that, maybe they could start a PMC division though.

Delta (Military Contract Service): Defending the friendly skies!

Independence76

Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:49 am

I have to ask, do you think this will be unveiled in Dallas at the AA Skyball X fundraiser event in Hanger #5 at DFW on October 27th?

Mcoov

Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:00 am

Quoting Independence76 (Reply 28):
I have to ask, do you think this will be unveiled in Dallas at the AA Skyball X fundraiser event in Hanger #5 at DFW on October 27th?

Seeing as how the first 77W service is DFW - GRU, that would make sense. Of course, someone will surely catch the fully-painted airplane before it leaves PAE.

[Edited 2012-10-21 21:01:55]

American 767

Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:06 am

Will every aircraft type currently in service at American see the new livery?

Assuming there will be a new livery:

B77W and A319/A321: obviously yes and I don't think any of them will be delivered in the current (soon to be old) silver livery.

B737-800, B767-300ER and B777-200: of course yes. But it'll take years to repaint the whole 738 fleet, which is getting big.

B787, if American still wants them, yes. And none would be delivered in the current (soon to be old) silver livery.

B767-200: I doubt it. Because they won't be in the fleet much longer, four years at the most. I think that only one, maybe two at the most, of the 15 762s left will see the new livery.

B757 and MD-80: yes, but the majority of them won't because those are on the way out and by the time all planes are repainted in the new livery, which will take at least 5 years, not many 757s and MD-80s will be left. 757s Int'l, those have a good chance to stay in the fleet long and see the new livery.

So in summary, I think it all depends on if and when each airplane in the fleet gets its D Check. The new livery may be unveiled already in a few weeks from now but you can expect to see the current (soon to be old) livery until at least 2017.

I remember when United unveiled their then new battleship livery in early 1993, I was still an undergraduate student. In late 1997, almost five years later, I spotted a 727 still wearing the old rainbow Saul Bass livery.

Delta has changed 3 times in the last 15 years!

Ben Soriano
Ben Soriano

phxa340

Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:12 am

Wasn't there a rumor posted on this forum a week ago from Tempe was that DL was interested in acquiring TN ?

Not hating but Tempe's track record hasn't been stellar ...

BMI727

Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:18 am

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 14):

I'm sort of surprised that some airline hasn't. Obviously not with fighters, which are far too expensive, but it might not be ridiculous for some airline to get some Extras, warbirds, or something like that to form a display team to fly the flag at airshows, similar to what Red Bull does. I want to say that some of the pilots who fly their own planes at airshows are commercial pilots as a day job, so maybe someday some airline could officially sanction such activity.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

PHX787

Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:33 am

Quoting iFlyLOTs (Reply 26):
He's been trying to work out

my buddy frequents the LA Fitness in Scottsdale and he swears he's seen D.P. there working out

Quoting iFlyLOTs (Reply 26):
But I doubt that it is a merger livery. I could be wrong though, its been known to happen.

Happened with US Airways. Didn't happen with DL. Combined livery with CO/UA so I wouldn't consider that to be a special merger livery.

Quoting FSXJunkie (Reply 27):
Delta (Military Contract Service): Defending the friendly skies!

I wonder if Blackwater would pick them up   

Quoting Mcoov (Reply 29):
Seeing as how the first 77W service is DFW - GRU, that would make sense. Of course, someone will surely catch the fully-painted airplane before it leaves PAE.

Is it being painted at PAE? I thought the 777s were painted in Ft. Worth?

Quoting American 767 (Reply 30):
B757 and MD-80: yes, but the majority of them won't because those are on the way out and by the time all planes are repainted in the new livery, which will take at least 5 years, not many 757s and MD-80s will be left. 757s Int'l, those have a good chance to stay in the fleet long and see the new livery.

Yeah the MD88s are leaving so I doubt they'd be repainted en masse.

Quoting phxa340 (Reply 31):
Wasn't there a rumor posted on this forum a week ago from Tempe was that DL was interested in acquiring TN ?

Guilty as charged, fellow PHX fan. Of course that wasn't from Tempe but a FX pilot based in MEM waiting for a flight back to MEM itself or something.

I haven't seem him at the PF Changs since I last met him, and I go there almost every weekend.

klmflighter

Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:13 am

I think this livery would look GREAT on the "new" american airlines.

http://bit.ly/PVvT8G

rj777

Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:36 am

As long as they don't pull a United/Continental and keep the existing US Airways flag logo, I'll be happy!

DoubleDelta

Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:49 am

Quoting rj777 (Reply 35):

As long as they don't pull a United/Continental and keep the existing US Airways flag logo, I'll be happy!

Nothing's "impossible" but I'd venture the "AA" logo has a million times more brand recognition than a generic, washed out American flag. Don't get me wrong, I really like the US Airways flag, but I'd be quite surprised if a merger were to happen, the U.S. flag would survive the merger. After all, US is on record for stating the new brand would retain the American Airlines name, due to brand recognition.
Northwest Airlines — my very first flight aboard a Boeing 727-251ADV.

VC10er

Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:54 am

Quoting rj777 (Reply 35):

And yes, it is a US AIRWAYS flag. Not to be confused with an American flag!
The world is missing love, let's use our flights to spread it!

captainstefan

Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:32 am

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 33):
Yeah the MD88s are leaving so I doubt they'd be repainted en masse.

American has -88s?   
Long Live the Tulip!

EA CO AS

Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:10 am

Word from Tempe is that is an interim AA/US merger tie-in scheme

I'm sorry, but that makes absolutely zero sense; what point would there be in painting new deliveries in an interim livery until a new one is formally decided upon? Why not paint in the current livery until a new one is made official? It's not like the B787 will come to AA anytime in the immediate future; there's more than enough time between the now and the first 787 delivery to come up with what they want.

Until then, just keeping the traditional AA livery makes the most financial sense.

[Edited 2012-10-22 04:12:06]
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

ZSOFN

Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:31 am

Quoting klmflighter (Reply 34):

Would be interested to know how the author got hold of my 777 template...

einsteinboricua

Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:41 am

Quoting DoubleDelta (Reply 36):
After all, US is on record for stating the new brand would retain the American Airlines name, due to brand recognition.

They never said which logo would survive. CO and UA merged under the UA name but under the CO logo.

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 39):
I'm sorry, but that makes absolutely zero sense; what point would there be in painting new deliveries in an interim livery until a new one is formally decided upon? Why not paint in the current livery until a new one is made official?

Maybe something has happened and we don't know it yet?
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

American 767

Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:54 pm

Quoting captainstefan (Reply 38):
American has -88s?

It must be a typo. I'm sure he meant -80.
Ben Soriano

YYZbound

Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:33 pm

If the two airlines merge, Parker has stated he would keep the American name and brand, as it is more internationally recognized

MCIGuy

Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:36 pm

Quoting OB1504 (Reply 7):
...while the current 737 wears the Astrojet colors.

I presume the "eyebrow" windows are painted on?
Airliners.net Moderator Team

masseybrown

Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:42 pm

Quoting klmflighter (Reply 34):

Makes me think of Ameriflot.

delta88

Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:03 pm

I think AA might be doing this as a publicity stunt, trying to get more people to fly. United did the same thing, by chosing the Continental livery but keeping the UNITED name on the aircraft. Maybe AA just wants some publicity and draw the crowd and general public away from the labour and financial problems as a result of the impending possibility of merger.

Thats my opionion, feel free to elaborate or to think differently, im happy to be corrected
B712,B738,B739,B752,B762ER,B763ER,B772ER,MD82,MD83,MD88,MD90,A320,CRJ9,CRJ2,EMJ145,ERJ175

milestones787

Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:56 pm

Does anyone know the status of the new 77W? Is it in paint? At Everett or Portland? Thanks in advance.

Acey559

Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:24 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 4):
New image always = new company morale to achieve its goals.

You clearly don't work for AMR. This company is the king of crushing people's morale.

PHX787

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:19 pm

Quoting captainstefan (Reply 38):
American has -88s?
Quoting American 767 (Reply 42):
It must be a typo. I'm sure he meant -80.

Yes my bad. Meant to hit the 0 and it was a busy day for me yesterday   

Quoting Acey559 (Reply 48):
You clearly don't work for AMR. This company is the king of crushing people's morale.

And I am glad as hell that I don't. Hopefully something, if anything, happens that benefits all sides of this potential merger. I'm personally concerned about PHX but there have been countless threads discussing this and pretty much nobody has any clue what's going to feasibly happen.