Gonzalo
Topic Author

Are The NIMBY's The Biggest Threat To Industry?

Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:25 am

Overall safety is not an issue ( the accident rate is extremely low and is improving almost every year ), the fuel/oil prices are not an immediate threat ( and when the prices rise, the shock can be absorbed by fees) , and the bird flu is just a bad memory from long time ago. All this threats to the industry seems to be under control, but there is one threat that, at least in my view, is gaining strenght and adepts all over the world ( with the only exception of some countries under undemocratic governments ) : NIMBY's. Probably the most notable examples of how deep can be the effect of this are LHR and FRA, but certainly there are many more cases of airlines, airports and traffic, being seriously affected by this social phenomena.

Are this organizations the biggest threat to the industry in the near-mid term ?
What do you think ?

Regards.
G.-
Gear Up!!: DC-3 / EMB-110 / Fairchild-227 / Ab318-19-20-21 / B732 / B763 / B789

jetblueguy22

RE: Are The NIMBY's The Biggest Threat To Industry?

Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:41 am

I'm not sure they're a threat to the industry as much as a pest. It always amazes me that the same people who complain about the noise are the same ones who complain about having to connect somewhere. Not to mention if you move somewhere near an airport you have no right to complain. The government has to put their foot down at some point and say sorry but we are just hurting businesses and preventing employment opportunities.
My favorite story of an anti-NIMBY was my buddy's dad. A couple years ago he was a senior VP at Pratt Canada and he lived near Montreal airport. His wife told me one weekend he was sitting outside watching the planes coming into the airport and a guy came up and asked him to sign some petition to change the approach path to the airport. He started laughing and told the guy the whole reason he picked the house was he loved watching the planes. Then told the guy he was dumb for buying a house next to an airport when he hated the noise. Oh how I wish people would have the common sense to move elsewhere.
Blue
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

BMI727

Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:07 am

Quoting Gonzalo (Thread starter):

They're only a threat locally. For every place that resists growth and progress there will be another, more opportunistic and visionary, place that will welcome them with open arms.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

Aesma

Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:21 am

I'd say they're definitely a threat to general aviation. In fact I live just where aviation had its infancy (parallel to the Wright Brothers, and for some even before their first flight) and one of the early airports is now houses, another is under constant threat from the mayor, a third that is still bordered by fields and quite active (LFPN / TNF) is seeing more houses being build in its immediate vicinity, making me fear the worst, and the fourth is not going anywhere but of no use to GA since it's a military base, home of the presidential aircraft.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

cmf

Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:50 am

Are this organizations the biggest threat to the industry in the near-mid term ?

A provocative thought: Are they aviations blessing?

Where would we be if airports had expanded "without limits"? I fear most airlines would be stuck with a very large number of small planes flying with such frequency there would be no profitability.
Don’t repeat earlier generations mistakes. Learn history for a better future.

LAXintl

Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:37 am

The industry is it own biggest internal threat.

The industry needs to police itself from areas as diverse as consumer protections, the manner customers are handled to things like environment issues and being a good neighbor in the communities it operates.

Its only when the industry does poorly, and brings the bad press upon itself that things like government responds.

For external threats, biggest is the global economy. Simply put as the economy goes, so goes the industry.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

frmrCapCadet

Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:43 am

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 5):
The industry is it own biggest internal threat.

I quite agree. Far fewer industries are destroyed by external causes than by internal.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

Aesma

Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:26 am

What about buying lots of farmland around future airports (and renting it back to farmers) so that there will be no NIMBYs long term ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

PanHAM

Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:59 am

Yes, they are, but only in combination with weak politicians who do not understand the business. Not the airline business and not business in general. Weak politicians making populistic decisions that cater to a minority of selfish people who bought cheap houses near an airport and all of a sudden have noise they "never expected".

New runways, where the best solutiuon, the one with the least impact was chosen, with all information on the table, with all democratic procedure open, public. No reasonable objections cam but now since the runway is in operation a minority cries loud to close it again.

The damage here in FRA has been done with a unworkable night curfew between 11pm and 5 am, No one wanted to have night oeprations like in daytime. But a few needed cargoi flights are needed. The worst case was that flights, fully loaded and despatched off block had to return to the gate because of reasons the airline has no influence on. Just because it was 23h01 the flights could not start anmd 500 pax were stranded.

Carriers brought forward departure times, latest long distance block time at FRA is now 22h15 and 22h30 for short haul and then we have a moron of new mayor at FRA who advocates the curfew for 22h00 to 06h00. That would kill FRA as a hub

This nightcap really thinks that the (all) citizens switch of the lights 22h00 sharp and snore happily until 06h00 when they have to, by decret of the mayor, wake up. Oh holy simpleness.
powered by Eierlikör

CPHFF

Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:46 am

The 2 biggest threats to the industry imho:

1) Fuel prices
2) Passengers who expect to always fly across Europe for € 99 r/t
Detroit is bankrupt. Don't forget to thank UAW folks!

bobnwa

Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:42 am

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 1):
It always amazes me that the same people who complain about the noise are the same ones who complain about having to connect somewhere

Wher did you get that info from?

Gonzalo
Topic Author

Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:55 am

I'm not sure they're a threat to the industry as much as a pest.
Quoting Aesma (Reply 3):
I'd say they're definitely a threat to general aviation.
Quoting PanHAM (Reply 8):
Yes, they are, but only in combination with weak politicians who do not understand the business.

I'm with you in all of this to be honest. One of the things that I found really annoying and disturbing here in my home country, is that every NIMBY association happily rejects all kind of projects, but no one, I repeat, NO ONE, propose an alternate way to solve the problem. One clear example : every one wants electricity, but at the same time, there are complains about EVERY single way of generation for that electricity.... Coal ? Too dirty. Wind Power ? Visually unfriendly. Nuclear ? Too Dangerous !! Hydraulic ? Too disruptive... How on Earth can you deal with this people ??????
Regarding Airports, please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but both LHR and FRA are OLD airports, and were constructed and developed many years before the surrounding homes.... so, you bought a house near an airport, but you don't like the noise ? Well, then you are a big .......................-
Is like buying a home next to a Pig's Farm and complaining about the smell... What did this people around LHR and FRA expect ???? "Electric" mute planes ?
Ok, Rant off, I feel better now ....     

Regards.
G.

jumpjets

Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:38 pm

I'd be interested to know how many of the people who criticise NIMBY's for opposing unrelenting airport expansions actually live close to an airport or under a flight path?

What right do people who don't suffer from airport activity have to criticse those who object to seeing the value of their homes and the quality of lives reduced - or worse still, their homes destroyed, to satisfy the desires of airport planners?

NIMBYs may be an obstacle to aviation development - but then they have every right to protect their lives from the interference of others.

PanHAM

Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:50 pm

Quoting jumpjets (Reply 12):
actually live close to an airport or under a flight path?

well, I do. Right underneath TABUM departure route. i get everything from regional to A380s. Usually at evenings starting around 8 pm till closure. Plus, I have an inbound route from the west which turns into the landing pattern east of FRA. Plus a helicopter route bypassing the terminal area.

If that's not enough, Erbenheinm AAF whoich sends traning flights low leveöl over the A3 Autobahn, but I can usually just see them, the Aiutobahn is too noisy and the distance is 3 km.

Enough to quaalify?

Infrastructure must be adapted to the public requirements from time to time. Flying is not for fun, it is an essential service to the national economies.

There is a story our late mayor liked to tell about a farmer in the 1870s or so, when the railway line was built and the prospectors lined out a right of way which went right through the farmers barn. Now, the farmer said, over a glass of apple cider in the local pub. "They must not think that every time a train comes I run out and open the barndoor" "They" had news for him.

powered by Eierlikör

Gonzalo
Topic Author

Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:58 pm

I'd be interested to know how many of the people who criticise NIMBY's for opposing unrelenting airport expansions actually live close to an airport or under a flight path?

What right do people who don't suffer from airport activity have to criticse those who object to seeing the value of their homes and the quality of lives reduced - or worse still, their homes destroyed, to satisfy the desires of airport planners?

Your point of view is valid ONLY if the homes are there BEFORE the airport, and then a mayor , or aviation authority, decides to build the facility next to your house. But I insist, in many, many cases, probably the vast majority, Airports were there well before the people who decided to move there. Those who want a cheap house because is next to a dumpster, must be prepared to deal with the smell, the rats, the insects and the vagabond dogs, or should wait, save more money, and buy a house in a better place. Simple like that.

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 13):
Quoting jumpjets (Reply 12):actually live close to an airport or under a flight path?

well, I do.

Me too. I live under the departure path usually taken by the Chilean AF's F-16 in their daily flights for training, positioning or whatever. I can tell you a F-16 fighter jet is " a little noisier" than a 77W or A346, by the way.
I want to live in a country with well trained pilots ? Yes. If we go to war someday ( never say never ) they will fight for me and risk their lives doing that, so I don't complain about loosing some lines of the movie because one of that pilots is training over my head. Life is not only about my rights, its about my responsibilities too.
I can bet you all of this NIMBY's fanatics will made a big scandal if they must travel 50 miles by road to reach an airport situated in a place where "nobody is affected".

Rgds.
G.

[Edited 2012-10-25 06:31:05 by SA7700]

justinlee

Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:15 pm

Don't you guys think Emirates is the biggest threat to industry?  Smile

I am not joking...They are kind of using predatory pricing strategy.

[Edited 2012-10-25 06:16:42]

Gonzalo
Topic Author

Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:47 pm

Quoting justinlee (Reply 15):
Don't you guys think Emirates is the biggest threat to industry?

I am not joking...They are kind of using predatory pricing strategy.

They are in position to do all that precisely because their home-base is in a country where there are no NIMBY's trying to impose curfews to night ops and all kind of restrictions that can affect the airline and Hub strategy of EK.
If EK should face the same challenges that BA / LHR and LH / FRA has to deal with every day, they will be probably a much smaller and "harmless" airline, but that is not EK fault, their are taking advantage of a situation ( created and tolerated ) in the UK / Germany....Just my opinion...

Rgds.
G.

richcandy

Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:10 pm

Hi

This is not an easy question to answer and this is just my view.

I find it unpleasant to think that houses that are maybe 300 years old and villages and churches that are maybe 1000 years old might get demolished so that a runway can be built.

Quoting Gonzalo (Reply 11):
Regarding Airports, please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but both LHR and FRA are OLD airports, and were constructed and developed many years before the surrounding homes.... so, you bought a house near an airport, but you don't like the noise ? Well, then you are a big .......................-

I don't disagree with what you are saying, however how would you feel if you were told that the home you have spent most of your life paying for is going to be demolished so that an airport can be extended? Yes you would get cash for it but you have then got to find a new home, in a area where there is a shortage of property. Your going to get cash and most likely be ok, but what about those who are first time buyers or closer to the bottom of the chain. They just get pushed out. A few years ago in London a lot of homes were bought by wealthy Russians, now my understanding is that wealthy Greeks are buying up the city as money is safer in overseas property than Greek banks. The average salary is London is around £30,000 per year. If you and your husband/wife/girlfriend/boyfriend are both earning that then you have little chance of being able to buy a studio apartment even 40 mins out of town.

I am not saying that nothing should ever be build, but I just wonder if the airline industry needs to be smarter. Maybe rather than using aircraft like 737's and 320's to operate a route 10 or 11 times a day, switch to larger aircraft and have less flights. Or start looking at opening hubs in smaller cities. After all if you are flight say BA from NYC to FCO does it matter if you change at LHR or just for example GLA?

As I said just my view.

Alex

PMUA787

Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:10 pm

I was always puzzled by the NIMBY's around PAE that were trying to block scheduled service there. You have the biggest assembly facilities for all of Boeing's widebody aircraft and the ATS Maintenance facility that does heavy checks for WN and AS among other airlines. What's the big deal with some additional flights with some QX Q400's and a couple of G4 MD-80's or soon to be A319's or B757's to Hawaii? These same NIMBY's also probably complain about the drive to SEA as well.

cmf

Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:44 pm

Quoting Gonzalo (Reply 14):
Your point of view is valid ONLY if the homes are there BEFORE the airport,

Are you prepared to take that argument full way? The houses where there first so the airport should know there will be people living there. That villages grow so over time there will be more people living there? Or that the airport should not be allowed to expand above what it was when the people moved in?

It is a very stupid argument that only makes sense if you have a one sided view.

I'm not against expanding airports but it is ridiculous to think that it, or anything else, can expand without constraints.
Don’t repeat earlier generations mistakes. Learn history for a better future.

jumpjets

Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:54 pm

Quoting cmf (Reply 19):
I'm not against expanding airports but it is ridiculous to think that it, or anything else, can expand without constraints.

As someone who lives east of Heathrow in an area full of property built in the 1930s when Heathrow as we know it didn't exist I entirely agree with the sentiment. As a late arrival to the area I don't claim any great right to [and indeed don't] object to runway 3 etc but my elderly neighbours who have been here for 60 years certainly do have such a right.

gegarrenton

Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:59 pm

I live in the flight path of NAS Oceana, and i can tell you that anyone around a commercial airport has no idea what actual unfettered jet noise sounds like.

NIMBYs may be an obstacle to aviation development - but then they have every right to protect their lives from the interference of others.

They need to protect their lives by living somewhere else if it is that big of an issue to them.

tonystan

Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:06 pm

He started laughing and told the guy the whole reason he picked the house was he loved watching the planes. Then told the guy he was dumb for buying a house next to an airport when he hated the noise

That made me laugh. About 7 years ago when I used to live directly under the LHR flight path in Windsor I had some NIMBY arrive at the door with a petition to prevent any further expansion of LHR and mixed mode runway operations. I asked the lady when she herself first moved to the area. She proudly proclaimed that she had been living there since 1982. At which point I asked her how long after that LHR was opened. She suddenly looked all perplexed and said "but it has been here since the war"! To which I said..."Exactly....now arent you a fool to move in next door to an already established major airport". She started babbling about this and that, I then asked her how many runways LHR used to have to which she had no idea and I told her that there was far more runways in the past then there are today which was the real disgrace....needless to say she disappeared with her tail tucked between her legs and didnt even see her pop into any of the neighbours!
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

jcwr56

Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:15 pm

I did for the better part of my life. I'll be more than happy to post an address so you can google and see it was about 1.5 miles from the end of 28R at ORD. Growing up when winds prevailed a certain way, we had arrivals landing every 30 seconds and let me tell you, if it wasn't for ORD, I wouldn't be where I'm at now in my life.

For me, I'd rather fight against a porn shop being intown or a liquor store being built close to a school over expanding an airport.

Quokkas

Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:30 pm

No for the simple reason that the greatest supporters of unlimited expansion often live no where near an airport. How may politicians have you heard proclaim that the would be happy to live next to a nuclear power station or reprocessing plant, safe in the knowledge that it would never be built in his constituency. He supports the industry one hundred percent because they know it will not affect him adversely (it usually is a he but a she might act the same way). They can best be described as NIMBYS because they favour expansion knowing that it will be somewhere else and affect someone else. Clearly NIMBY does not necessarily translate to being opposed to expansion but just to who pays the environmental and/ or social price of that expansion.

Quoting cmf (Reply 4):
A provocative thought: Are they aviations blessing?

I like this thought and it is not just limited to larger aircraft with lower frequencies but innovations that lead the aircraft to have lower noise (and other) emissions. Would these occur if there was no imperative? Given that many industries only respond to costs, would they not simply concentrate on fuel efficiency (in itself desirable) while ignoring other factors like noise? Do we not all benefit form such improvements in technology?

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 8):
that cater to a minority of selfish people

That argument might hold water if it is assumed that investors are entirely selfless. Investors are purely driven by the desire to improve society and benefit their fellow man. In reality this is rarely true. I don't mean that they are predisposed to be anti-social. far from it. But many, if not all, investors in any industry seek to make a profit. Nothing wrong with that. To most it doesn't matter whether they make a profit from selling airline tickets, cars, guns or beer. That being the case, how can we assume that they are any less selfish than those who oppose limitless expansion and an absence of regulation? As a shareholder I want the best dividend or improvement in share value that I can get, otherwise I can always put the money in bonds or fixed term investments if they yield better results.
“Not to laugh, not to cry, not to hate, but understand.” Spinoza

Type-Rated

Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:34 pm

Quoting tonystan (Reply 22):
"Exactly....now arent you a fool to move in next door to an already established major airport"

This happens a lot. Especially around ORD. When ORD was built way back when the entire area around it was farmland. Soon after subdivisions popped up and the NIMBY action started. Duh, didn't you know when you bought your house and being so close to a large airport that there might be the possibility of low level aircraft flying over your house?

When I was growing up in the 50's we lived in an area that was few short miles from MDW. We'd see low flying DC-6's, Constellations, etc. over our house/yard. But nobody ever said anything about it. We just knew the airport was close by and that's part of what you get for living there.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

Gonzalo
Topic Author

Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:59 pm

Quoting cmf (Reply 19):
It is a very stupid argument that only makes sense if you have a one sided view.

I can say exactly the same for ( your ) opposite way of thinking. They want good service on board, low fares, top notch airplanes, a good frequency for their travel, a flag carrier wearing proudly their national symbols..... but they don't want the airport expands, because is "noisy".... Grow Up !!! It would be more smart from their part if just sell the house and move to a farm in the middle of nowhere. It's very quiet over there.

G.

Quokkas

Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:02 pm

Quoting Gonzalo (Reply 11):
One clear example : every one wants electricity, but at the same time, there are complains about EVERY single way of generation for that electricity

This assumes that all NIMBYS are the same people. They are not necessarily so. Advocates of nuclear power will cheerfully oppose coal because of the dangers of lung disease and pitfalls, while ignoring meltdowns. Coal miners may oppose wind generation pointing out the high costs of producing the sails, etc. In every walk of life there are people with conflicting interests.

Quoting Gonzalo (Reply 14):
Your point of view is valid ONLY if the homes are there BEFORE the airport,

This ignores the question of why people live near to an airport in the first place. Not everyone can afford to purchase a greenfield site in a prestigious location. Housing affordability, where a persons job may be, access to other resources, proximity to family and a host of other factors may play a part. It also ignores the fact that in most instances no one was ever asked in the first place and no one could ever predict the extent to which aviation has become successful. Yes people make choices but those choices are often made within external limits. Should those people's views be discounted simply because they don't accord with your own? In a democratic society everyone is entitled to express an opinion. Where they live does not make it any more or less valid than any one else's though it may influence it..

Quoting Gonzalo (Reply 16):
in a country where there are no NIMBY's trying to impose curfews to night ops and all kind of restrictions that can affect the airline

I will ignore the part about predatory pricing and simply point you in the direction of various ASAs that allow for punitive action if that occurs as it has nothing to do with NIMBYism. However on a general note, EK is an airline that is perhaps more than many others bound by all sorts of restrictions imposed outside of the UAE. One simple reason is that they offer no domestic flights. That means that every single flight they operate is governed to a major extent by the laws of other countries. People complain about middle of the night transfers in Dubai, ignoring that it is largely a result of the ban on night operations in Europe and 24/7 does benefit European carriers who can time their departures to avoid the curfew. DXB is not alone in that. We also see a lot of night time transfers in SIN, HKG and BKK for the same reason.

EK"s aircraft are subject to the same noise and other emission standards as every other aircraft at FRA, JFK, HKG or CPT. This means that like at a number of airports in other countries, including my own local airport (three kilometers from where I live) nighttime operations do not impose additional noise beyond daytime limits imposed in other countries. Despite this, Dubai Airport does maintain noise monitoring and has banned certain aircraft that fail to meet noise standards from operating. Additionally EK has experimented with different departure and approach angles to see whether this will reduce the impact of noise and one of the considerations of moving to DWC was that it would not be in the centre of town.

Edited to change angels to angles.  Smile

[Edited 2012-10-25 09:10:12]
“Not to laugh, not to cry, not to hate, but understand.” Spinoza

Gonzalo
Topic Author

Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:19 pm

Quoting Quokkas (Reply 27):
This assumes that all NIMBYS are the same people.

Oh well, that was not my intention, I was only trying to point out that the ones complaining about "the problem" ( no matter if it is an airport or a nuclear plant ), are in most cases absolutely useless when you ask them for "the solution". It is very easy and comfy to say NO for a project, because affect your interest, and leave the problem unsolved for all the rest of the society or community. That is precisely what I find extremely selfish about this people. How many people use every year LHR or FRA ? Millions !!! How many neighbours are "seriously affected" by the "horrible noise" ? 1000 ? 3000 ? I just found unacceptable that the caprice of a 0,01 % of the population can affect the overall benefit for the whole city. If they feel so disturbed by the fact that there are an airport close to their home, sell the house, live and let live. Otherwise, shut up and allow the immense majority of the people to use the airport in the more convenient way.

Not everyone can afford to purchase a greenfield site in a prestigious location. Housing affordability, where a persons job may be, access to other resources, proximity to family and a host of other factors may play a part.

Err.... yes, that is basically the way the market fix the pricing for almost everything in life... If you have 2.000 dollars you can have a Chinese city-car with a seat belt, and if you have 200.000 dollars you can have Mercedes or a Porsche with 8 airbags, and maybe eject-able seats if you want. So what ? What are you suggesting ? The only way of having an airport that doesn't affect "anybody" ( poor or rich ), is putting the airport in the middle of nowhere 60 or 80 miles away, and the very same people screaming about the noise will then complain about how far is the airport and all the time they lost driving from there....

If you don't believe me, just read some of the replies here and see for your self :

Could An "Artificial Island Airport" Replace LHR? (by Gonzalo Aug 21 2012 in Civil Aviation)

Rgds.
G.

PPVRA

Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:57 pm

Every right, actually.

And the people who own the airport have every right to protect their livelihoods from the interference of others.

Quoting jumpjets (Reply 20):
As a late arrival to the area I don't claim any great right to [and indeed don't] object to runway 3 etc but my elderly neighbours who have been here for 60 years certainly do have such a right.

He has no right other than the right to his property, which he should never be compelled to sell by the government. There is no such thing as a right to the VALUE of something.

[Edited 2012-10-25 11:01:55]
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

gegarrenton

Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:01 pm

This ignores the question of why people live near to an airport in the first place. Not everyone can afford to purchase a greenfield site in a prestigious location. Housing affordability, where a persons job may be, access to other resources, proximity to family and a host of other factors may play a part.

Correct, and that is the trade off. It still doesn't give any credence to aforementioned people bitching.

PanHAM

Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:34 pm

Quoting Quokkas (Reply 24):
That argument might hold water if it is assumed that investors are entirely selfless. I

Without investors there would be nothing, few people can realise their ideas without money.

But that's not the case here, at least not with Fraport who finance the complete 7 billion extension program, which includes the new runway, the A+ pier and T3 from cash flow and bank loans.

The airport is a money machine with 50% of the income from retail. It's a PLC and although the major shareholders are the state of Hesse and the city of Frankfurt, they are just that, sharehoolders. The company is run like a private corporation.

This is quite remarkabe for a piece of public infrastructure, which, not too far ago, would be an expensive department of the municipality, needing, like public transport, millions in subsidy each year in most European countries. The change in attitude has much to do with the EU and liberalisation of business in general.

So, here we have no investors. OTH, investors would be stupid if they give their money to others without expecting a return on their investment., that would be like people going to work each day without expecting pay.