ripcordd
Topic Author

US Airways To Buy American Eagle Rumor?

Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:03 pm

Ok I heard that USAIR maybe buying American Eagle just a rumor flooting around. I dont see what they will get out of it other than High Labor Costs and a gas guzzling fleet. Any thoughts to this

Stitch

Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:10 pm

My question would be why?

What does US gain running AA's regional operations? It doesn't seem logical to me as a stepping stone to a merger with AA mainline.

And I certainly can't see US buying it to make it their own, as they already have US Airways Express. True, USAE is an independent operation run under contract, but...

jfklganyc

Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:13 pm

No one is buying Eagle.

High costs, old planes/gas guzzling planes, senior workforce.

When the bright star of your fleet are 25 CRJ 700s that were recently delivered, you are in trouble

DeltaMD90

Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:48 pm

Never say never but... this will never happen. How do I know? Just ask the question: "Why!?"
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

flyby519

Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:58 pm

Almost as bad as the rumor that Richard Branson was going to buy a stake in AE
These postings or comments are not a company-sponsored source of communication.

AA94

Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:59 pm

Oh, please ...

If you can't take the heat, you best get out of the kitchen

skycub

Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:52 pm

Quoting flyby519 (Reply 4):
Almost as bad as the rumor that Richard Branson was going to buy a stake in AE

One would hope that Sir Richard already has his hands full with the failure of an airline already using his brand in the United States.
My opinions are my own. They are not representative of my employer, my union or my co-workers. They are all mine.

enilria

Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:55 pm

Quoting ripcordd (Thread starter):
Ok I heard that USAIR maybe buying American Eagle just a rumor flooting around. I dont see what they will get out of it other than High Labor Costs and a gas guzzling fleet. Any thoughts to this

If it were true it would have to be some sort of backdoor to buying mainline AA. Probably not true.

ouboy79

Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:12 am

Quoting Stitch (Reply 1):
And I certainly can't see US buying it to make it their own, as they already have US Airways Express. True, USAE is an independent operation run under contract, but...

It probably would have been better to state that they already have PSA and Piedmont, not US Airways Express. USX is just a brand for regional operations that are done by the wholly owned carriers and additional contract carriers.

Regardless, I don't see any reason for this move. US has consolidated the wholly owned carriers from 4 to 2 (Allegheny and Mid Atlantic gone)...no reason to start adding back to it.

JBo

Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:22 am

I seriously doubt that US would buy only Eagle as opposed to all of AA.

US already has two wholly-owned regionals - Piedmont and PSA - so it wouldn't make any sort of sense to acquire Eagle.

If anything, should the US-AA merger happen, I could see US either selling off or dissolving Piedmont and PSA in order to consolidate regional operations.
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

usairways85

Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:27 am

Don't believe it for 1/10th of a second. Why would any major want a bunch of ERJs.

Quoting JBo (Reply 9):
I seriously doubt that US would buy only Eagle as opposed to all of AA.

US already has two wholly-owned regionals - Piedmont and PSA - so it wouldn't make any sort of sense to acquire Eagle.

Exactly and they already have old Dash-8s. I would think the last thing US wants is a boat load of aged ERJs

ATCtower

Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:02 am

Quoting enilria (Reply 7):
If it were true it would have to be some sort of backdoor to buying mainline AA. Probably not true.

That too was what I was thinking, though this is merely a 'rumor' and I dont put a whole lot of credit to it.

We all know AAL is working to 'merge' (acquire) with AWE and perhaps this could be a 'cut the fat' measure and aid in AWE execs being responsible for the final downfall of Eagle (though they have already gone further down the crapper than AWE has so that is merely speculation on my part).

AAL is certainly good at hemoraging cash but no one can dismantle an airline the way AWE mgmt has tried to do. If this rumor were true, this is the only plausible reason I could come up with for putting the Eagle name under AWE before the big merger takes place.

My $.02
By reading the above post you waive all rights to be offended. If you do not like what you read, forget it.

kparke777

Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:05 am

"They have already gone further down the crapper than AWE has" - What data do you subscribe to that suggests AWE has come even close to going "down the crapper." Perhaps the best 3Q they have ever had? LOL

jfk777

Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:45 am

why would Usairways want Eagle without AA ? Like they need feed in Chicago or DFW.

HPRamper

Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:25 pm

Quoting ATCtower (Reply 11):
AAL is certainly good at hemoraging cash but no one can dismantle an airline the way AWE mgmt has tried to do.

LOL. This makes absolutely no sense, regardless of what anyone's personal opinion of US happens to be.

Mainliner

Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:43 pm

Quoting ATCtower (Reply 11):
no one can dismantle an airline the way AWE mgmt has tried to do.

Reno Air? Air Cal? TWA?  
Every flight counts.

SkyTeamTriStar

Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:23 pm

This can't be true....ANOTHER poor decision coming from US Airways? Nope, I just can't believe my ears...LOL LOL

olddominion727

Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:46 pm

I think the rumor is someone's pipe dream. As others have said, why would they want Eagle without AA?

bobnwa

Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:24 pm

Quoting ripcordd (Thread starter):

Ok I heard that USAIR maybe buying American Eagle just a rumor flooting around.

Does that rumor have any source other than you posting it on Anet?

jetBlue

Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:33 pm

What if....

This is a way to get E190s delivered to be operated for AA, directly to an airline that already has the certification and training to operate the type, so that Eagle doesn't have to come up with all of that on its own, which would take 12-18 months?

Just a thought.

jetBlue
We know for you it's not just a seat on a flight to a place. It's a seat on a flight to your life.

nwcoflyer

Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:44 pm

Quoting SkyTeamTriStar (Reply 16):

This can't be true....ANOTHER poor decision coming from US Airways? Nope, I just can't believe my ears...LOL LOL

Instead of just being a flame thrower, can you list some of the poor decisions made at US in the past 2 or 3 years that have have undermined the success of the organization? Since you said "ANOTHER" you are implying there are many...

Back to the topic... No way in hell US is going to buy AA Eagle. Eagle may be included as part of a larger deal with AA, but to think that they would want the feed for ORD/DFW/LAX/MIA/JFK with out the mainline is laughable.
The New American is arriving.

flyby519

Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:15 pm

Quoting jetBlue (Reply 19):
What if....

This is a way to get E190s delivered to be operated for AA, directly to an airline that already has the certification and training to operate the type, so that Eagle doesn't have to come up with all of that on its own, which would take 12-18 months?

Just a thought.

jetBlue

Not sure I follow this logic. So US buys MQ and transfers E190s onto the MQ certificate, which are then flown for AA feed? There would need to be a new training program established for MQ E190s.
These postings or comments are not a company-sponsored source of communication.

RyanairGuru

Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:22 pm

Which E90s though? All of US' are fully accounted for, including those coming back from Republic which will replace DH3s.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

DeltaMD90

Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:59 pm

Quoting SkyTeamTriStar (Reply 16):

implying this rumor is true and not completely BS...
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

derwentwater747

Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:09 am

Thank the lord if this happens. Then needed markets like PVD can be served by the future American.

jlbmedia

Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:56 am

Quoting jfk777 (Reply 13):
why would Usairways want Eagle without AA ?

Why would Usairways want Eagle WITH AA?
JLB54061

Mainliner

Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:10 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 22):
Which E90s though? All of US' are fully accounted for, including those coming back from Republic which will replace DH3s.

Not true. The leases on the DH3's have been extended and aren't going anywhere any time soon. Some of the DH8's will be timing out next year, so that could cause some shuffling of aircraft.
Every flight counts.

aaway

Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:13 am

Quoting flyby519 (Reply 21):
What if....

Just a thought.

jetBlue

Not sure I follow this logic. So US buys MQ and transfers E190s onto the MQ certificate, which are then flown for AA feed? There would need to be a new training program established for MQ E190s.

I think you're totally missing jetBlue, flyby519. Hehe....I like the he thinks. Yeah....jetBlue.
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard

ATCtower

RE: US Airways To Buy American Eagle Rumor?

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:24 am

Quoting kparke777 (Reply 12):
"They have already gone further down the crapper than AWE has" - What data do you subscribe to that suggests AWE has come even close to going "down the crapper." Perhaps the best 3Q they have ever had? LOL

Lets start with hemoraging 2/3 of their pilots and 80% of the Captains in the last 10 years. Pilots rarely see a reason to fly for an airline that pays its execs top dollar and its pilots comparable pay to regional carriers. Sure, 'the Company' may have seen a higher profit margin, but at what cost? Premium passengers avoid them (not even quoting comparable J/B class fares). They have revolutionized the 'charge for everything' mentality and no longer hold any of the market share in the 'classy airline', the 'low cost airline' or the 'most contiguous service airline', and to top it off their prices run 8-14% higher than any of their competition on competing routes. Hell, you want profit, look at Enron and Worldcomm in the preceeding 12Q before they went out. Yes, mgmt is taking the airline down the crapper and thats why you will see if they dont merge with AA they are done for.

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 14):
LOL. This makes absolutely no sense, regardless of what anyone's personal opinion of US happens to be.

How does it not make sense? Perhaps a little fact to base your opinion on would be useful eh?

Quoting Mainliner (Reply 15):
Reno Air? Air Cal? TWA?  

Yeah, and where are they now? Should any of them be a viable contender to keep business going and run another airline to the ground, we would not be talking about AAL trying to do it.

My $.02
By reading the above post you waive all rights to be offended. If you do not like what you read, forget it.

apodino

RE: US Airways To Buy American Eagle Rumor?

Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:07 am

I wonder if this could be related to a rumor that Eastshore Aviation (Parent company of Air Wisconsin...a USAirways Express Carrier) may be looking at Eagle. With the USAirways contract expired in 3 years and no additional flying beyond that, this could be a way to for them to just stay relevant.

As for the senior pilots..AA did say they are going to be hiring 2500 pilots off the street in the coming years. If a lot of those guys come from Eagle, then the seniority drops by quite a bit.