Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dirtyfrankd
Topic Author

AA To Hire 2,500 New Pilots

Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:57 pm

http://money.cnn.com/2012/10/25/news...rlines-pilots/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Per the article, AA to hire 2.500 new pilots over the next 5 years.

" In a letter to employees Wednesday, CEO Tom Horton said American Airlines will hire new pilots to staff new international and domestic routes. Company spokesman Bruce Hicks said about 1,500 of the new hires would replace retiring pilots, or jobs that open up due to attrition. American has about 7,500 active pilots today.

"The new American will be doing even more international flying, providing greater opportunities for career advancement and increased income for our people," Horton said in the letter. "

Italianflyer

RE: AA To Hire 2,500 New Pilots

Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:33 pm

Great news (much needed ) for the folks at AA. First the F/A hirin announcement...now flight ops. Do you all think that the story behind the story here is that AMR is planning for a 'go at it alone' strategy? (The other scinario would be that this is to back-fill attrition while leaving a merger option on the table. ) The number of FAs announced (1,500) would kind of support the attrition theory...but 2,500 on the pilot side seems high.

YYZbound

Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:41 pm

UGH

Don't get me wrong...I'm HAPPY for this news.

But one minute we have to lay off thousands of crewmembers to cut costs..

...now we have to hire.

Sometimes I think my airline is using a Fisher-Price calculator to get its numbers

ordbosewr

Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:48 pm

Quoting YYZBound (Reply 2):

...now we have to hire.

Sometimes I think my airline is using a Fisher-Price calculator to get its numbers

I would argue it comes down to seniority and the cost of those employees.
It is cheaper to hire new employees AND pay early payouts to get more senior folks to retire. That is simple economics with the labor contracts that most airlines have. This is due to changes in what plans (retirement, health, etc) are available to each employee.

ripcordd

Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:50 pm

This was one of AA's problems no new hires of any kind for like 10 years, in return you have all senior topped out employees with no way of bringing down labour costs, bam offer a buy out and they are hiring again. As long as they can turn not only the fleet over but also the employees over this will keep costs lower. The only thing they wont be hiring for is MX and Fleet Service since most of their jobs are outsourced now and they were not given as nice of buyout packages as the FA's were so a lot less took it.

RyanairGuru

Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:53 pm

How many pilots do AA still have an furlough? I thought that it was something like 1000? Wouldn't they be recalled before they start hiring?

aluminumtubing

Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:58 pm

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 5):
How many pilots do AA still have an furlough? I thought that it was something like 1000?

Yes, that number is close.

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 5):
Wouldn't they be recalled before they start hiring?

That is correct, the furloughed pilots would be offered recall prior to the hiring of new pilots.

[Edited 2012-10-25 12:59:17]

xjramper

Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:07 pm

Quoting YYZBound (Reply 2):
UGH

Don't get me wrong...I'm HAPPY for this news.

...now we have to hire.

They are just following DL and UA's lead, only a few years behind. AA has the highest labor to cost ratios in the domestic airline group. Quite honestly, I would venture a guess that they wouldn't be in such a financial pinch if they offered a buy out a few years ago.

Some people flamed me a few years ago for saying that it was a great idea, but look at DL now and the financial announcement they made yesterday. Not too shabby for a company who almost liquidated 3 or 4 years ago.

PI4EVER

Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:30 pm

And as xjramper aptly pointed out with the DL example, US did the same thing. Unfortunately, the pain being experienced at AA right now by many employee groups is littered with the lives and careers of employees affected by this very action previously at many other airlines. Been there, done that. It is not easy, its not nice, and unfortunately for some its just business.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos