musapapaya
Topic Author

Long Delays In ZRH Today

Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:06 pm

Good evening everyone

I understand there is some snow in ZRH today, but looking at the arrivals and departures boards for ZRH, there seems to be some long delays and that LX's operations seem to be heavily affected. Is there anything specific happening that cause the apparent problems? ZRH and LX, in my knowledge, are used to the snow and these things so I am quite surprised to see this level of disruption.

I says 'light snow' and they are in 'LIFR operation' in the METAR I get from the iPhone apps, was it quite bad over there? I also understand that LX was short of the short haul airbus before, have they now got the right number of planes yet to handle their operations?

I am specially concerned as I am trying to persuade my gf to come from HKG to visit me in MAN, and I have been promoting LX's flight so she can get me some chocolate in ZRH and a bottle of the Xellent Swiss Vodka they sell on board - these, in conjunction with the good service on LX, ha led me to use them as much as I can whenever I go to HKG from here, and I want to promote this to her to avoid her taking direct to LHR and ME driving all the way down to pick her up, lol! And of course I wanna ensure LX in particular is not suffering from anything abnormal that cause more disruption to any other airlines before I persuade her to go on LX, as I still want a nice xmas with her!

Any thoughts?

William

[Edited 2012-10-28 12:11:40]
Lufthansa Group of Airlines

Viscount724

RE: Long Delays In ZRH Today

Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:15 pm

Quoting musapapaya (Thread starter):
ZRH and LX, in my knowledge, are used to the snow and these things so I am quite surprised to see this level of disruption

ZRH doesn't usually get too much snow. I find that, in general, all European airports, including those that do normally get some snow (ZRH/GVA/MUC etc.) do a much worse job coping with it than major airports in North America in snowy parts of the country.

I recall a snowstorm that affected GVA 2 years ago that completely closed GVA airport for 36 hours. The same amount of snow in Montreal wouldn't have even made the news.

loveofflying

Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:27 am

Yup, snow in European airports is bad, bad, bad. I live in YYC - where the only problem we have is with "red alerts" - and the snow is not an issue - lots of lit, little of it, etc. I have flown many, many, many flights during snowstorms when it was difficult to get to the airport!! And still everything was working normally, sometimes with slight delays for pax who couldn't make the drive.

Fly the DC10 before you can't!

LTU330

Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:48 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 1):
I find that, in general, all European airports, including those that do normally get some snow (ZRH/GVA/MUC etc.) do a much worse job coping with it than major airports in North America in snowy parts of the country.

Take MUC out of that statement. In the ten years I have been working at that airport I recall only one ocassion that both runways had to be closed and diversions instigated due to problems with snow. Watching the snow clearance at MUC is like watching a co-ordinated ballet ! Easily the most organised I have ever seen, and I have worked at airports all over mainland Europe and the United Kingdom.

[Edited 2012-10-28 23:49:38]

IwantaBBJ

Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:31 am

Well, in that case, take ZRH out of that statement as well..

http://www.addcon.com/uploads/media/Let_it_snow_IAR_.pdf

The reason why Geneva was closed was probably because the firefighters were still dancing on the snowplows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EozTj6aqnAY

lufthansi

Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:24 am

Life starts at take-off!

PlymSpotter

Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:33 pm

Quoting musapapaya (Thread starter):
Any thoughts?

Yes. If you want her to come back from Hong Kong, the least you can do is drive down the LHR and be there to greet her at Arrivals with some flowers  

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos