KarlB737
Topic Author

New MBS Terminal Opens October 31st

Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:46 pm

I posted a thread recently on the fact that the new MBS terminal would be opening a year early. The ribbon has been cut and a open house to the public has taken place. As noted in the previous thread this project has been six years in the making. The first flight from this new terminal is a 6 a.m. departure on October 31.

I know what many of you are thinking. Why the new terminal in light of the fact that MBS has little air service. A good question however the management felt that it was time to replace the 1960ish terminal. In spite of the heavy draw that FNT has I wish them the best of luck and hope that a new terminal will be appealing to another airline and the overall tri-city area.

Courtesy: WNEM-TV - Video Report At Link

MBS Cuts Ribbon On New Terminal Today

http://www.wnem.com/story/19921790/mbs

mtnwest1979

RE: New MBS Terminal Opens October 31st

Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:46 pm

Perhaps it is a good time to build new. Since labor costs should be lower, since there is a larger pool of skilled workers. Also, lower demand for the building products might have made prices lower. Also, the service there seems relatively stable so they should be able to build for current need with a bit of cushion for future 'good-times' additional service. Somewhat like Minot,ND is having now, over their 4 NW DC-9s to MSP that used to be it not to long ago.

Looks like a winner from what I saw. Plus, opening up so much earlier than anticipated? How nice.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

FWAERJ

Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:31 pm

Quoting KarlB737 (Thread starter):
hope that a new terminal will be appealing to another airline and the overall tri-city area.

G4 tried MBS and it didn't work, so that's out.

Currently, MBS is served by DL (DTW, MSP) and UA (ORD). I could see DL service to Atlanta and/or the return of Eagle to ORD, but not much else.
"Did he really need the triple bypass? Or was it the miles?"

WROORD

Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:31 am

Looks pretty nice. I hope they get more service.

crj900lr

Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:43 am

How long til we get a "I can see Southwest coming here and flying to BWI, ATL, MCO, PHX, LAS and 12 other cities!!!!" post?

No doubt its a nice looking terminal but I don't think that there will ever be major growth there.

tjwgrr

Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:28 am

GRR could really use some updating. The main terminal isn't too bad, but the A & B concourses are right out of the 60's / 70's. At very least they should raise the ceilings in the hallways and put some sort of clerestory windows to open things up a bit.
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos