TK787
Topic Author

Turkish Aviation November 2012

Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:01 pm

Hi everyone,
Due to hurricane Sandy, I have no power, water, elevator, bad cell phone service.
I still wanted to start this months thread;
Please excuse the short introduction but I will check back when I can.
Continue here with news, rumors, photos on Turkish aviation.

TK787

LAXintl

RE: Turkish Aviation November 2012

Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:20 pm

Wishing you and your neighbors a speedy recovery.

Due to Sandy, TK will operate an extra section to JFK on Wednesday - TK5401 using 777 TC-JJG arriving at midnight.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

ASA

Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:36 pm

Quoting TK787 (Thread starter):

Hi everyone,
Due to hurricane Sandy, I have no power, water, elevator, bad cell phone service.
Please excuse the short introduction but I will check back when I can.
Continue here with news, rumors, photos on Turkish aviation.

TK787

Hats off for your dedication and passion for this thread!

Hope the services are restored quickly and NY/NJ recovers as smoothly as possible! Stay safe!

Turkish350XWB

Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:35 pm

But you have internet... hahahhaa. Wish you the best.

I think the newest is the 3rd airport issue for Istanbul. It has been decided to build it in the north. Phase 1 will have 100 million pax capacity. In the last phase the airport will have 5-6 runways. Opening in 2016 is a miracle as stated by Northstar80. To me, 2020 seems to be more realistic as there is no infrastructure, no plans and the underground is difficult, but i am not a construction guy. The tenders for electronics, the buildings, architecture, roads etc. itself will take at least (!) one year. Construction will start at earliest (!) 2014. It is also possible that legal problems, which is realistic for project of this size, will further delay the construction/opening.

We need a new name for the airport. There can only be one name for the biggest airport in Turkey, (New) Ataturk Airport. Maybe the 3-letter code can be the same? Was the case for HKG and BKK.

JU068

Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:26 pm

I think Turkish Airlines should air Turkish series during their flights. I am sure it will help them boost their numbers, especially in the Balkans. 

LAXintl

Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:32 pm

German Fraport AG with Turkish partner IC Yatirim Holding state they wish to take part in bidding for the new airport.

They estimate the cost to be around 10 billion liras ($5.6USD billion) opening in 2016 with initial annual capacity for 60 million passengers.

IC Yatirim Holding was the previous winner to the tender to build the 3rd Bosphorus bridge, along with new airports in Kuthaya, Ordu and Giresun Turkey plus overseas airport project in St. Petersburg Russia.

IC Holding Considers Bid With Fraport on Istanbul Airport
http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...d-with-fraport-on-istanbul-airport

=

cmoltay

Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:19 pm

Are we absolutely sure the 3rd airport is going to be where the newspapers declared based on the words of K.Topbas? I see no official statement or endorsement on the Municipality web site or the DHMİ web site. I am having a hard time believing that is the final choice, my observations and thoughts leading to this reasoning are as follows:
- The mentioned area east of Terkos seems to require too much landfill and earth moving work to create a site suitable for an airport. The land would surely be cheaper than the Silivri option, but could earthworks and strengthening required be more costly?
- The already built highway that would also connect the airport to the city is 2x2 and does not seem to be up to standard to carry traffic for a 150million pax airport... I know it can be expanded but it was built only last year, if there is a plan to create a northern borough for İstanbul including an airport, why was the connection not planned ahead? Silivri is already connected by two highways, one of which is in the TEM network. A rail connection also seems to be nearer.
- There is a field of wind turbines very near, south west of the mentioned area, could that be a safety issue?
- Isn't the would be biggest airport of the country a strategic asset that should not be placed on the BlackSea coast, widely open to an attack in case of an unrest involving Turkey and the region?

LLA001

Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:49 am

What will happen to current Ataturk Airport once the new airport is open?

TK787
Topic Author

Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:44 pm

Quoting Turkish350XWB (Reply 3):
But you have internet...

Yes, and no.
Well I had to walk down from the 10th floor apt, then walk across the Williamsburg Bridge to Brooklyn, to find a cafe so I can get online, charge my phone.... Not super bad, but this is day number 4 without power, water, heat...., I have no idea how many more days of this. Many more people are in worse condition/loss, my heart goes out to them.

It is nice to see some LGA bound traffic though today.

Besides the new airport discussions, I would like to add;

-Congrats to TK on ordering 15 each of 333 and 77W and options. I read both might be 20 each when said and done.
-With the new order of 77W we hear that Comfort class might come to and end.
-Also TK is in midst of ordering up to 200 single aisle aircraft. I bet we hear something within the next 6 months if not sooner.
-How about Pegasus? We might hear something lot sooner than TK. They were talking about 100 frames??
-TK transfering 5 planes to SAW. Which brings the question one more time, when do you guys foresee a TK twin aisle serving TK? JFK-SAW one day?
-Starting this month DL leaves IST till May. Besides many other things what happens to DL personel at Istanbul?
-Last month also there was a big discussion about TK eventually serving Australia.

radiopolitic

Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:04 pm

http://www.ntvmsnbc.com/id/25394122/

Public consultation meeting for the new airport coming up.

Anyone over there think they can go?

LAXintl

Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:36 pm

Here for those that want to see TK in Australia - CEO says they have "less of an appetite" following the EK-QF link up.

Instead it seems TK want to cooperate with a Star airline based in the Far East for such services. (remember that TK-TG already have cooperation covering good joint fares)

http://atwonline.com/airports-routes...es-startup-australia-services-1101

=

ASA

Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:45 pm

Quoting TK787 (Reply 8):
-Congrats to TK on ordering 15 each of 333 and 77W and options. I read both might be 20 each when said and done.

This was indeed a great news for October - congrats to TK on following through on the wide body expansion. In my opinion, this was a much better choice for now than going for VLAs ... i'm sure many of you will agree. Can't wait for TK to pick up new destinations in both Americas and bolster its existing long haul services.

Quoting TK787 (Reply 8):
With the new order of 77W we hear that Comfort class might come to and end.

This, however, was a bummer  

Following many of your posts, sounds like the current Y+ cabin in 77Ws is too big (63 Y+) ... and the demand for J is higher in certain sectors. Hope TK keeps a smaller cabin Y+ and add Js in the front.

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 10):

Here for those that want to see TK in Australia - CEO says they have "less of an appetite" following the EK-QF link up. Instead it seems TK want to cooperate with a Star airline based in the Far East for such services. (remember that TK-TG already have cooperation covering good joint fares)

This seems to be a cool headed response as well. No need to burn fuel on ULH flights or provide one-stop SYD services. Maybe a future 787 route?   (if there is a XLR version somewhere along the line)

cuban8

Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:23 pm

Hi everyone,

Long time I didn't comment here. Flights are keeping me busy.....unfortunately even during winter season this year....

Thanks for starting another thread TK787, hope things get better soon in NY and that Sandy doesn't make VX collapse.

I think the newest is the 3rd airport issue for Istanbul. It has been decided to build it in the north. Phase 1 will have 100 million pax capacity. In the last phase the airport will have 5-6 runways. Opening in 2016 is a miracle as stated by Northstar80.

Finally it looks like a decision regarding the 3rd airport is about to come to an end. I've also heard that they are considering a 150 million PAX airport in the neighbourhood of Terkos with up to 6 runways when fully operational. The opening by 2016 is not impossible, but from what I heard it would only be one runway and one terminal in use by that time frame, and later on the expansion. I think the Silivri option is completely buried due to high land costs.

Quoting LLA001 (Reply 7):
What will happen to current Ataturk Airport once the new airport is open?

Most probably the new airport, IF located near Terkos, will lead to the end of the present Atatürk airport. If the new airport opens up north of Istanbul near the Black Sea as rumoured, the most logical runway direction would be North/South to avoid crosswind take-offs and landings as well as avoiding overflying Istanbul at low altitude for noise abatement. That would lead to a conflict between the two airports keeping separation between departing and arriving aircrafts. I guess runway 05/23 could still be operated for business jets and/or regional operations.

We need a new name for the airport. There can only be one name for the biggest airport in Turkey, (New) Ataturk Airport. Maybe the 3-letter code can be the same?

How about TIA?? Tayyip International Airport.....   
When business goes to hell, you get rid of three things. Your private jet, your yacht and your mistress..........and most importantly in that order.
~ Russian Billionaire ~

ankaraflyjet

Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:02 pm

Turkish PM made very important announcements today;

On a recent visit to Berlin Merkel proposed him for a new partnership of LH and TK. It implies that this will be similar to LH-AC and LH-UA Trans-Atlantic partnership and something that may even go futher than that. Good decision by LH who is afraid of a giant TK that is also aiming to capture LH market in North America over the years. Both are under *A so quite logical;

New Airport in Istanbul will be opened in 2016 and with 150 pax capacity and 6 runways as previously disclosed.

Ataturk Airport will be converted into a Conference and Exhibition Centre as well as a shopping centre with a small runway to accomodate VIP's only. Part of exisitng infrastructure will be utilized.

Last but not least, not specifically aviation related but a huge and modern stadium and sports faciity willl be built replacing the dated 19 May stadium and sports facility in Ankara with a direct passage to train station. Ankara Istanbul high speed train services to commence in Q3 2013. The construction of sports facility will start in 2014 and will be completd in 2016. This will also help increase air pax to ESB given the amount of national and international games to be hosted there.

tozbek

Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:49 pm

Some news stories about Turkish Prime Minister Erdogan's THY-Lufthansa merger:
http://kokpit.aero/erdogan-lufthansa-thy-ortak-isletilebilir

What did THY CEO Temel Kotil said: http://kokpit.aero/temel-kotil-lufthansa-thy-degerlendirdi

My analise about it: http://kokpit.aero/tolga-ozbek-lufthansa-thy-analiz

Sorry all in Turkish  

ymincrement

Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:38 pm

I think it would be also very nice for TK to learn deep experiences of LH especially in operating wide-bodies..

I am curious about what will be main target and purpose of this partnership..

Turkish350XWB

Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:06 pm

News on the 3rd airport:
http://ekonomi.haberturk.com/otomoti...7-3uncu-havalimani-kaca-mal-olacak

Price approx 6.4 bn dollars. parking space for 25.140 cars.

1st phase (operational 2016)
- Two independent runways, separation 2.300 m
- 1.000.000 m2 terminal

2nd phase
- Additional rwy
- 20mn pax satellite terminal

3rd phase:
- 30mn pax terminal
- 4th runway

4th phase:
- 30mn satellite
- 5th runway

This at least gives a rough overview. I am very curious about the terminal and architectural structure... How many air bridges will it have and so on...

LLA001

Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:51 pm

Do you know if someone is doing the design work? Who is doing the master planning, architecture, engineering of the airport? If they are going to go for bidding soon they must have some design in their hands, wouldn't they?

Turkish350XWB

Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:31 pm

Quoting LLA001 (Reply 17):
Do you know if someone is doing the design work? Who is doing the master planning, architecture, engineering of the airport? If they are going to go for bidding soon they must have some design in their hands, wouldn't they?

Exactly! This is not so easy, it takes a decade. The land is not secured yet. No contractors, no infrastructure. A single terminal is doable within 3 years if the airport is running already, but from scratch... Planning of this cannot be done in one afternoon.

LLA001

Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:11 pm

Quoting cuban8 (Reply 12):

If they close Ataturk, maybe the build a big shopping mall to the plot  

However with 4 years to go, it will be a tough job to complete the airport, not impossible but hard.

Quoting Turkish350XWB (Reply 18):

There is always the possibility of the project drawn on a napkin by the PM and implented accordingly  

MeCe

Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:13 am

There is a schedule change for IST - GRU flights, plane arrive at 19.00 to GRU and sits there until next morning 05.00. This change may indicate a time creation for GRU - EZE leg.

IndianicWorld

Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:39 am

Here for those that want to see TK in Australia - CEO says they have "less of an appetite" following the EK-QF link up.

It never made sense in the first place.

Instead it seems TK want to cooperate with a Star airline based in the Far East for such services. (remember that TK-TG already have cooperation covering good joint fares)

This makes much more sense.

Tupolev160

Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:30 am

Why the Asian side of the city or the expansion of SAW aren't considered as an option as well?
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

Luka

Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:34 pm

Atlasjet apparently wants create an airline serving Bosnia, Albania, Macedonia and Kosovo with base a in Tirana.

http://exyuaviation.blogspot.com/201...in-regional-ex-yu-airline-bid.html

[Edited 2012-11-07 08:39:20]

radiopolitic

Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:58 pm

Quoting LLA001 (Reply 17):

I have the same questions. Very curious and the fact that the details of satellite terminals and capacity are already out to me suggests someone has designed something (whether it has or hasn't been designed well is another matter entirely), however preliminary it may be.

Quoting LLA001 (Reply 19):
There is always the possibility of the project drawn on a napkin by the PM and implented accordingly  

Would not surprise me.

LAXintl

Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:28 pm

Quoting ymincrement (Reply 15):
I am curious about what will be main target and purpose of this partnership..

Revenue, profits, larger network.

Quoting Turkish350XWB (Reply 16):
This at least gives a rough overview.

Sounds reasonable

Quoting Turkish350XWB (Reply 18):
Planning of this cannot be done in one afternoon.

Well we are talking about Turkey now. You should know even the most impossible can happen in Turkey.   

Quoting Tupolev160 (Reply 22):
Why the Asian side of the city or the expansion of SAW aren't considered as an option as well?

SAW continues to get its own improvements also.

Another runway is on the way, and the newly inaugurated terminal in 2009 is supposed to reach capacity by 2020, so it will also need further expansion.

Also other infrastructure is seeing growth at SAW, with TK Technic opening both new aircraft and engine repair facilities plus a broader industrial park concept being built around the airport.

Turkish350XWB

Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:58 pm

Quoting LLA001 (Reply 19):

Without any will of creating a comparison between these to charakters, really not, but this is just too funny: it is known that Hitler drew the defense lines and bunkers in the Normandie himself...

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 25):
Well we are talking about Turkey now. You should know even the most impossible can happen in Turkey.

I agree if you meant it in both positive and negative manners of interpretation.

What happens if the new airport does not open in time, but let's say in 2018. Is IST capable of handling so many aircraft and traffic. Within 3-4 years time, traffic in IST will be beyond 60 million, passing MAD and AMS. What happened to the urgently needed parking lots at the former military part. I guess with few efforts parking space for 50 aircraft can be created. Runway capacity seems to be sufficient for moderate growth.

777way

Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:09 pm

MyCargo new livery is part of entire HNA group makeover as seen on Hong Kong airlines.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Yvan Panas

fatmirjusufi

Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:30 pm

Quoting Luka (Reply 23):

Atlasjet apparently wants create an airline serving Bosnia, Albania, Macedonia and Kosovo with base a in Tirana.

This seemed very interesting to me, when I first read this article earlier today. Well, it's hard to believe that KK has such a capacity to implement all of this task, but as Justin Bieber would say, never say never.

DO FLIGHTS. NOT FIGHTS.

radiopolitic

Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:15 pm

http://www.radikal.com.tr/Radikal.as...V3&ArticleID=1106886&CategoryID=77

Details from a community meeting near the planned location of the airport.

- Surprise, the locals aren't happy.
- Apparently, the planned location of the airport overlaps with a migratory path for birds.

ASA

Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:22 pm

Quoting FatmirJusufi (Reply 28):
but as Justin Bieber would say, never say never.

Didn't Sean Connery said that 10+ years before Bieber came to this planet ... ?!!  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Never_Say_Never_Again

tk1244

Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:02 pm

Quoting Luka (Reply 23):

The article also mentions Tarhan Tower Airlines, but hasn't the AOC of this airline being revoked few years ago???
"The future is in the skies. For any nation that cannot defend its skies will never be confident of its future." Atatürk

fatmirjusufi

Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:42 am

Quoting ASA (Reply 30):
Didn't Sean Connery said that 10+ years before Bieber came to this planet ... ?!!  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Never_Say_Never_Again

Lol, you're right, but to be honest, Bieber's was the first one that came into my mind! Just to clear things up — I don't like his music. 
Quoting TK1244 (Reply 31):
The article also mentions Tarhan Tower Airlines, but hasn't the AOC of this airline being revoked few years ago???

When it comes to business, everything is possible in the Balkans.

DO FLIGHTS. NOT FIGHTS.

MeCe

Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:21 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 25):
Well we are talking about Turkey now. You should know even the most impossible can happen in Turkey

Yes; everyone learns this on hard way... If you remember avcılar-beylikdüzü metrobüs project they build it 4 times later than planned. At the end we have bigger traffic jam at avcılar    The more complicated project is more vulnerable to out of schedule in Turkey because of lack of proper planning. There is palling environmental effect report, no infrasture project and no airport project and they give a deadline for operational airport. This should be a joke.

OA260

Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:39 pm

Hi everyone,

Thanks for doing the new thread under those circumstances. I trust things are a bit better now?

Quoting Turkish350XWB (Reply 16):
This at least gives a rough overview. I am very curious about the terminal and architectural structure... How many air bridges will it have and so on...

Certainly interesting and I too look forward to following this. I would love to see something that reflects the local culture in terms of design whilst being ultra modern.

tozbek

Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:03 pm

Boeing delivered 200th aircraft a 737-900ER to THY:
http://kokpit.aero/thy-ikinci-kez-dalya-dedi
The ceremony will be done 13th November 2012

stylo777

Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:16 pm

here we go again:

http://www.airkule.com/default.asp?page=haber&id=13022

CCS, MEX, HAV, BOS, SFO and YUL now on the agenda depending on aircraft availability

OA260

Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:22 pm

Quoting stylo777 (Reply 36):

HAV is certainly an interesting one I'm sure it would be a popular route both from connections East and West.

TurkishWings

Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:37 pm

CCS, MEX, HAV, BOS, SFO and YUL now on the agenda depending on aircraft availability

MEX, BOS, SFO and YUL seem to be most feasible. BOS and YUL could be served with 333s and MEX and SFO with the 77Ws.
Coffee - Tea or Me?

ASA

Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:48 pm

Holy Cow!!! TK is trying to shoot down six geese in one shot!!!   

That's amazing news - if management is really serious. But will require a whole lot of aircrafts ...

As IAH will require the next 77W that becomes available - SFO might take some time. Meanwhile, just throw a 332/333 to start BOS and YUL ... even 3/4 times weekly. Please!!!   

Turkish350XWB

Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:59 pm

Quoting TurkishWings (Reply 38):
YUL

What about bilaterals? YYZ is 5w.

CCS, MEX, HAV

I do not really understand these destinations. Are they also eying pax from Europe with that routes?

777way

Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:44 pm

Airblue will end SAW from 27 November according to their revised schedule.

ankaraflyjet

Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:51 am

Atlasjet will reinstate 6 daily IST ESB IST flights with Y, Y+ and Business Class from December 1st, 2012 bringing an end to TK's long debated monoploy on the route.

JU068

Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:06 am

Quoting ankaraflyjet (Reply 42):

Is there really a demand for three classes on such a short flight?

stylo777

Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:28 am

Quoting ankaraflyjet (Reply 42):
Atlasjet will reinstate 6 daily IST ESB IST flights with Y, Y+ and Business Class from December 1st, 2012 bringing an end to TK's long debated monoploy on the route.

quite suprising, but very welcomed. remember, I asked a few months ago when TK monopoly on this particular route will come to an end.
btw where did you get this info from? any source?
6 dailies look like one particular aircraft flying back and forth

Turkish350XWB

Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:09 pm

http://www.afriquejet.com/index.php?...rom-15-dec&catid=2:news&Itemid=111

This tell that TK is starting service to Niamey (Niger) on 15th of dec... No other source found.

leftyboarder

Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:37 am

Quoting Turkish350XWB (Reply 45):
http://www.afriquejet.com/index.php?...rom-15-dec&catid=2:news&Itemid=111

This tell that TK is starting service to Niamey (Niger) on 15th of dec... No other source found.

Airlineroute.net reports that this flight is indeed starting on Dec 15, with a IST-NIM-OUA-IST routing, 3 times a week. Two more countries. A/C is 739ER like other recent Africa additions. So we will have 4 more African destinations by mid-December (including JRO and MBA).

http://airlineroute.net/2012/11/12/tk-nimoua-dec12/

ankaraflyjet

Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:37 am

Quoting ju068 (Reply 43):

I think the Y+ is mainly to do with flexible price option rather than inflight service on such a short route. The fact that the route is also very popular for businessmen, flexible price option is a great option for flights between ESB and IST. In other words, without penatlies and additional booking charges you can change your flight(s) based on seat availability without restriction.

AtlasJet servie to ESB will be very popular even if they do not have specially designated Business Class terminal at ESB. TK offers a specially designated facility at ESB domestic for *A members with TK Silver or other *A gold or more level members which is amost like a curbside check in with a special lounge without entering the huge terminal facility. This cuts down your check in to almost 20 minutes before your domestic flight departs. If you have no luggage that can even be reduced to 15 mins or less. For AtlasJet you need to rush through the main terminal that is the downside. However, regardless, it is good to see competetion on this trunk route finally.

tk1244

Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:29 am

Turkish Airlines' 200th aircraft:

I'd expected a better sticker for this event (something like the 100th Boeing aircraft stickers on TC-JGU 'Bodrum')
"The future is in the skies. For any nation that cannot defend its skies will never be confident of its future." Atatürk

TurkishWings

Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:11 pm

From the TK to SFO, MEX, CCS etc thread...

It seems EZE is finally becoming a reality... I quite like the timing as well... Great for ME adn Asian connections (minus India)

Quoting C010T3 (Reply 82):
Good news for TK in the Southern Cone. Turkish applied yesterday for a modification in its HOTRAN ("transportation hours" - direct translation) before the Brazilian ANAC. That kind of application is a step after the green light for slots. The proposed schedule is:

TK15 77W -23-5-7 IST 0920 GRU 1900 2015 EZE 2155
TK16 77W -23-5-7 EZE 2355 GRU 0335+1 0505+1 IST 2125+1

Proposed start date: December 11, 2012
Coffee - Tea or Me?