aduum

Worst Meal Experience Ever & What Airline

Thu Oct 19, 2000 11:20 pm

Hello.....,

I was wondering if you could all describe either your best or worst meal stories and on which airline you were travelling at the time.

This will be good for a bit of a laugh.

Thanks
Aduum.

Greeneyes53787

RE: Worst Meal Experience Ever & What Airline

Thu Oct 19, 2000 11:40 pm

My worst meal experience was on a TWA 747 to Franfurt from New York. We were eating steak. The steak was nice and tender and fresh. The veggies were soft and crunchie at the right places--and so good tasting. The problem was with the meat. It has just a little too much salt on it.

Greeneyes

Bicoastal

Thu Oct 19, 2000 11:52 pm

Air Algeria from Algiers to Tindouf. In addition to the very old 737 (the seats were the type that folded forward) being held together with duct tape, the food was unrecognizable and unedible.
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

Adam84

Thu Oct 19, 2000 11:52 pm

My worst meal experiences have all been on Continental. The worst one was from IAH-HNL, they served some kind of chicken with rice, well my chicken was still pink on the inside and my rice was very undercooked. The other bad meal experiences are those damn turkey sandwiches, they dont taste bad, its just when I get them they are practically frozen and you have to have like jaws of steel to bite through them. I have learned to deal with it and give my jaws an excercise because they serve them on practically every lunch flight that is under 5 hours.

roadrunner165

Thu Oct 19, 2000 11:59 pm

My worst meal was on sun country fron msp-anc. the EGG omlet was horiable. it tasted like dog shit. and the pop was old.my mother had a sausage AND THAT WAS O.K

Ilyushin96M

Fri Oct 20, 2000 12:02 am

Greeneyes, if that's the worst meal experience you've had yet, you're very lucky!

My worst meal on domestic was aboard a UAL 727-200 on ORD-SAN in 1996; I made the mistake of having a chicken enchilada, and it was over-cooked. The tortilla was hard and rubbery, the filling bland. If I hadn't been so hungry, I wouldn't have eaten it. And this was on the last leg of a 20-hour trip back from Russia, so I was exhausted! Airlines do NOT do Mexican food well!

International - well, I haven't actually had a bland meal, but the least satisfying was aboard DL on FRA-LAX-FRA. Small portions of uninteresting, bland food. So bland I can't even remember what it was! Chicken of some sort. At least Aeroflot serves chicken cordon bleu! DL could do much better for coach on international flights.

jaysit

Fri Oct 20, 2000 12:07 am

My worst food experience was in First Class on Fabulair !

The caviar just wasn't that fresh - may it have been ossetra and not beluga? Yes, that was it !
And the champagne wasn't chilled right. I think it was a few degrees off. And what's with that lobster? I think there was just a little more salt in the steamer than Jean Louis Palladin would have used. The vegetables were delicious and the salad was right out of Provence, but who eats vegetables nowadays?

What's a Turkey sandwich?
Atheism is Myth Understood.

airsicknessbag

Fri Oct 20, 2000 12:07 am

Adam/Roadrunner165, how do you know what dogshit tastes like???    
Well, my worst meal experience: all Iberia domestic flights: drinks - zero, food - one candy  
Daniel 

Fri Oct 20, 2000 12:08 am

Remember those awful Sarah Lee smoked turkey shit wraps on Delta? That was definately the worst meal ever. On the other hand one of the best meals, was DL First Class, and it was a steak, pretty good actually.

Bicoastal, wheres Tindouf, sounds exotic.

Tortilla on United, that sounds cool. For me its always either some crap bistro meal or steak.

roadrunner165

Fri Oct 20, 2000 12:20 am

uummmmmmmmm...........bad

FaisZ

Fri Oct 20, 2000 12:35 am

Come to think of it...
ALL airplane food is bad@!

ContinentalEWR

Fri Oct 20, 2000 12:42 am

A few stand out...

Delta Airlines, Flight 148 JFK-Rome (FCO) July 1996
Delta Airlines, Flight 149 Rome (FCO)-JFK July 1996
Boeing 767-300ER's

American Airlines, Flight 107 LHR-JFK, March 1998
Boeing 767-200ER

Cathay Pacific (much to my surprise), HKG-NRT, January 1997
Boeing 747-400
Raw chicken!!! Raw chicken! On a flight out of Hong Kong at the
height of the Avian flu outbreak!

Bicoastal

Fri Oct 20, 2000 2:41 am

Tindouf is in south west Algeria near the disputed area of the Western Sahara. To say it's remote would be an understatement. If I told you what I was doing there, I'd have to shoot you  
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

philb

Fri Oct 20, 2000 2:51 am

Worst:

Breakfast on a TAROM IL18, Constanta - Istanbul, September 1973 consisted of a bar of bitter chocolate and a plastic (reused) beaker of tepid water.

Best:

Almost all Virgin catering (and I've rattled on about this often enough)

Fri Oct 20, 2000 3:19 am

LOL do a search for topic "Northwest Crappy Meal Service" by yours truly....

Fri Oct 20, 2000 3:38 am

United PHL(might have been EWR)-DEN, 1998
Ever get 100% HARD pancakes? How about a not fully cooked muffin? I did on this flight.

IndianGuy

Fri Oct 20, 2000 3:43 am

I was once served a chicken biryani onboard a domestic Indian Airlines flight. The chicken was still whitish and looked and tasted raw. Horrid. That was definitely my worst inflight meal experience.

The roasted chicken legs on the other hand were superb.

CV990A

Fri Oct 20, 2000 3:46 am

As much as I like the airline now, my worst in-flight meal was on CO several years ago from CUN-IAH. I was served a ham quiche for breakfast- the FA's didn't even know what it was! The eel I was served on UA from ORD-NRT wasn't too tasy either...
Kittens Give Morbo Gas

Fri Oct 20, 2000 3:49 am

FaisZ hit the nail right on the head. Although I would not say all airline food is bad, but no airline food is good. What you think is an omelette is a powder substitute most of the time. The steak and chicken are sprinkled (or injected or however) with tenderiser The meals are undercooked (on purpose) in the flight kitchen, blast frozen and stored for days before the flight. Then Loaded on trucks hours before departure. These trucks are not always temp controlled. The meals are then heated on the flight. I will not go thru what can happen to the casserole between the kitchen and the time it is served !!!!!
As f/a I tell you that I have received favourable comments on our meals from the most unlikely diners on board !!!!!!

Charles802

Fri Oct 20, 2000 6:55 am

Worst experiences: Raw chicken on Mexicana and frozen burritos on America West. In my experience, 95% of the time, the issue with airline food is not that it was so bad to start with, but that it wasn't stored properly or heated properly. Obviously, you won't have gourmet cuisine, but it can be quite palatable.

I think airlines should offer cold food in coach on most flights. Maybe a warmed muffin is OK, but many of those hot sandwiches are a disaster. My idea of a perfect meal on a 2-3 hour flight: Choice of a large, fresh, cold sandwich or a salad (with lots of veggies, not just iceberg lettuce), both coming with fruit and cookies. I would simply offering a "vegetarian" option would cut out the need for many special meals.

I think on longer flights, hot meals are more practical, and I think that First Class should have a hot and cold meal option, even on short flights.

Witold

The Best One Gets

Fri Oct 20, 2000 7:03 am

Hi guys (and ladies?)

The best meal or rather drink one can ever get on a plane is when one gets a cold beer after being in for examle Libya, Saudi Arabia or Iran - I generally don`t like alkochol, but I remember having that beer (after being forbiden to have one for quite some time) as real fun. Actually half of the plane was soooo drunk. Yps!

UAL Bagsmasher

Fri Oct 20, 2000 8:38 am

My worst would have to be on ATA in 1986 when I flew ORD-MCO on their DC-10 they used to have. (It later burned to the ground in ORD due to some O2 canisters being shipped as cargo.) Anyways, for breakfast they gave us some nasty-ass omlet just loaded with ketchup. The smell throughout the cabin made my gag, as did the food itself.

jm-airbus320

Fri Oct 20, 2000 9:01 am

The worst meal i had was on an AA flight MIA to the Caribbean. The meal was grilled chicken with vegetables,believe me i think the chicken was still breathing and fighting for it's life.The meals were so bad and the flight attendants so embarassed about the complaints that the pursor started to pass around M&M's to chill the anger.

Fri Oct 20, 2000 11:07 am

Greeneyes,
Oversalted steak......
Jaysit,
Incorrect Caviar and Champagne temperature.......

Ohhhh..MY GOD !!!!

BH346

Fri Oct 20, 2000 11:38 am

Worst: Northwest Osaka to Seattle, chicken in mustard sauce with cold shrimp salad.

Best: Northwest Memphis to Seattle, ham, egg, and cheese croissant, bagel, banana, and yogurt.

Regards,
BH346
Northwest Airlines - Some People Just Know How to Fly

Fri Oct 20, 2000 2:59 pm

No one ever had any of those crap Sarah Lee health wraps on Delta??? I remember tons of flights with that sh*t, mostly on LGA to FLL and PBI runs.

One side not. I'm really impressed with JetBlue, but their snacks suck. That bagel chip mix was miserable and those stupid potato chips were really average. They seem to be doing everything right, how come they can't maybe sell some sub sandwiches on there? Doesn't Go and Buzz in England sell gourmet sandwiches on their flights into and out of STN? Why can't JetBlue sell maybe some Cosi sandwiches? That would be so cosmopolitan!

russ

PS: Cosi is a chain of Italian, gourmet sandwich shops in NYC, really good, UrbanFetch and Kosmo deliver than to your door, although UrbanFetch is finito.

desertjets

Fri Oct 20, 2000 3:33 pm

Though not overly bad, those Turkey sandwiches on Continental need something LIKE MEAT!!! I am sorry but a slice of turkey on a crusty roll is not enough to tide one over on a 4 hour flight from CLE-PHX. Last time I flew CO in March they added letucce to the sandwich, which makes a difference. I was just pissed when the little kid ahead of me didn't touch his sandwich and I ate mine and was still hungry. I should have stopped at the Wendy's when I was in IAH.

I remember in 1992 America West had these Chicken ala Kiev things with some good noodles as the standard dinner on their longer flights. That was good, whatever happened to real food on a 3 hour flight?
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

anthonyd

Fri Oct 20, 2000 5:33 pm

Worst meal

EVA airlines Vancouver to Taipei
Smelly fish and tasteless noodles for dinner and extremely smelly dried fish porridge for breakfast. It was a 11 hour flight and by the time I got off I was ready to take a chunk out of the seat in front of me. This was followed by a 4 hour flight to Singapore with the same damn fish porridge for breakfast again!!!!!! so thats 11+4+2(transit) without decent food.

Best meal

Emirates Singapore to Dubai
The best steak with the most perfectly done potatoes I have ever had. Also Qantas Biz Class from Singapore to Bombay....Rack of Lamb (yum!)

airmale

Fri Oct 20, 2000 7:46 pm

WORST: Pakistan International most of the times
BEST LUNCH: Philippine airlines Frankfurt-Karachi
BEST DINNER:Pakistan International Lahore-Karachi
BEST BRAKFAST:Lufthansa Karachi-Bahrain
BEST SNACK:Philippine airlines LondonGW-Frankfurt 
.....up there with the best!

PresRDC

Fri Oct 20, 2000 8:53 pm

Worst:

Any breakfast served as a second meal on a transatlantic overnight flight in economy. Usually featuring an ice cold and tasteless banana, some nastly fat free yogurt and a stale roll or crossiant.

Best:

Economy: chicken breast with tomato cream sauce (Virgin Atlantic)

Business: pasta course between the appetizer and the main meal (Alitalia)
-they give a choice of threee and all are great

First: steak medalions with butter sauce and fresh vegetables (Air France)

rm-11

Fri Oct 20, 2000 9:03 pm

I like PIA's meals on international flight, except for the desserts. I remember a trip on a European airline (I just can't remember which one) that served a chicken sandwich with cabbage instead of lettuce (was it a mistake or do Europeans use raw cabbage on sandwiches).

Rizwan

aduum

Fri Oct 20, 2000 9:14 pm

hahah reallly
i have no idea

Thom@s

Fri Oct 20, 2000 10:18 pm

On a flight from Bergen - Flesland to Newcastle - Woolsington, they forgot over half of the meal that was to be served on the flight. So nobody got anything.  

First time in this airline as far as i know.

The plane was a Braathens Boeing 737-400.

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

jaysit

Fri Oct 20, 2000 10:34 pm

Mr K:

I was being facetious in response to the dude who was complaining about his perfect steak having a bit too much salt on it.

My theory about airline food is "bring it aboard yourself or don't complain." My only pet peeve is airlines who actually charge you for alchoholic beverages. That is just too 1970s IATA tacky.

As long as an airline is safe, provide legroom, a comfortable seat and a half decent meal, I couldn't care less if you get a sandwich or lobster.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

Triple Seven

Bloody Steaks!

Fri Oct 20, 2000 11:56 pm

China Airlines (CAL) flight KUL-TPE in 1988 (767-209ER). Steak was gushing out BLOOD !!!

- Triple Seven

vlbrowser

Sat Oct 21, 2000 12:34 am

Best:

Singapore Airlines from HKG-SFO Love there food.
United SFO-DEN Love those big sandwiches,very good.

Worst:
Got to be
UsAirways MCI-SFO, ewwww stuff with wierd rice.

Sat Oct 21, 2000 12:43 am

SQ from LHR-SIN...horrible (economy)
Emirates from LHR-Dubai...very bad (in biz..they even apologized to some folks)

Any chance they use the same flight kitchen out of LHR?

TWA transcon a few years back was very good. As was Cathay from LAX-HNG (biz class).

thud

Sat Oct 21, 2000 1:50 am

PIA wins hands down in economy. The food in Business, however, is heavenly. Nargisi Koftay, Biryanib and Rasmalia. And all served on bone china

sushka

Sat Oct 21, 2000 1:59 am

Air Ukraine 737-200
I had "sala'' Strips of raw pig fat!!!
At first I ate it because I thought that they were french fries.
Pershoyu Spravoyu Litaki!

Ilyushin96M

Sala On Air Ukraine?

Sat Oct 21, 2000 2:05 am

Did they serve that with black bread and vodka? That's the only way it's supposed to be consumed. FYI, sala isn't raw, it's cured - usually smoked and frozen.

sushka

Sat Oct 21, 2000 2:36 am

Ive eaten It raw before so I supposed that It was raw. I dont like it. I cant remeber what I ate it with. This was in 1995 or 1996
Pershoyu Spravoyu Litaki!

Sat Oct 21, 2000 2:38 am

Trans Worst Airlines MD-80 from ABQ to STL. Plane was hastily brought into service so there was *no food* at all on the two-hour flight (and only limited drinks).

Corey777

Ian

Sat Oct 21, 2000 7:56 am

PRETZELS!!!
Love those peanuts though...more nutritious...except for those that are allergic to them.
Maybe a can of SPAM for first and business travellers on USAir. Surely it would be mush tastier.

caravelle

Sat Oct 21, 2000 8:05 am

Like people here have implied, you have to differ between local and trans-continental. Worst ever is Canadian Airlines. Don't ever fly them if you have a choice.
Their chicken teriyaky was not edible. Bar service was lousy. And breakfast made me wish I could open the windows.

-caravelle
Trains and boats and planes....

trintocan

Sat Oct 21, 2000 2:28 pm

I cannot say that I have had any particularly great or bad food experiences aboard planes but I must commend Air Jamaica's food - it was good. BWIA is reasonable too but they serve somewhat less food than JM. AA is uniformly poor, UA is better.

As a whole, though, airline food which I have encountered is only tolerable and so one must eat properly before heading to the airport (where food may be great but so is the price) and, most importantly, when you arrive famished at your destination.

Perhaps the most startling experience for me was on a BWIA flight from KIN to POS earlier this month. The one flight contained 2 BWIA flights' worth of passengers merged plus Air Jamaica pasengers stranded by the cancellation of their flight (myself included). The plane was not catered to the extent of the passenger load and so only fish and vegetarian meals were available by the time the cart reached me. I opted for the fish, which was not bad but it was the first time that I ate fish while airborne. Given a choice, though, I would have preferred chicken or beef!

Trintocan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

marcelduchamp

Sat Oct 21, 2000 7:30 pm

If you want bland, just fly Air Pacific. All the way from Auckland to Nadi and Los Angeles, and back, I could hardly taste anything they served.

Some pack little lunch boxes that contain a curious slab of "meat", a roll and fruit - China Eastern operated by Aeroflot.

Others say "less is more". AA on the LAX - Washington D.C. red-eye. A stingy box of a roll, cookie and fruit on a FOUR hour flight that added insult to injury by making an unscheduled stop in New York! Or take your pick of Air China, China Northwest or China Southern. The most revolting dried cuttlefish snacks that replace your ubiquitous packet of peanuts. Boy did they STINK!

Of course the crown goes, once again, to American. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING on a FOUR AND A HALF HOUR journey that flew me from New Orleans to LAX via Dallas/Fort Worth. Anything that could have filled my tummy would have been better than nothing at all.

Even Garuda, Vietnam Airlines n Indian Airlines do not sink as low as any of the carriers mentioned above.

Silverstreak

Sat Oct 21, 2000 8:06 pm

I really don't expect much in the air - the environment isn't going to ever be like a restaurant on the ground. I wish that a pax could just opt to not have meal service on some flights(and save some money on the price of his ticket). AA should just forget it on their domestic sectors, it just doesn't seem to be a priority. I like the airline, just not their catering. Sometimes the F/As really seem embarrassed serving the meals.

aduum

Mon Oct 23, 2000 11:01 pm

DO most airliners own their own catering company or what...?

Mon Oct 23, 2000 11:07 pm

MarcelDuChamp--those "most revolting dried cuttlefish snacks that replace your ubiquitous packet of peanuts" would make a interesting souvenir (even if they were/are unedible)  

Addum--I don't think the airlines own thier own catering co's; usually its some company like Marriott, Dobbs, or SkyChef.

Dash8isgreat

Mon Oct 23, 2000 11:42 pm

Anybody remember when USAir served McD pancakes and Egg McMuffins on some of their morning flights out of P'burg?

Not a huge fan of McD's...but it was a novel idea.

Would it be cheaper this way? Anybody know?