WN787
Topic Author

Plane Off Taxiway At DEN

Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:42 am

I just heard a report that a plane slid off the runway at DEN. This is according to 9 news. Can't find anything on it right now. Does anyone have any info?

[Edited 2012-11-10 17:13:34]
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

kingcavalier

RE: Plane Off Runway At DEN

Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:10 am

Hear it's WN. Slid off 35L.
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness

WN787
Topic Author

Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:11 am

ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

nzblue

Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:12 am

9News is now reporting: "A Southwest Airlines passenger plane slid off the taxiway at DIA Saturday afternoon. Flight #1905 was traveling from Oakland to Denver."
It's an entirely different kind of flying; all together.

AirframeAS

RE: Plane Off Taxiway At DEN

Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:15 am

LOL!!!!

Quoting kingcavalier (Reply 1):
Hear it's WN. Slid off 35L.

It is WN. But according to 7News, it was on a taxiway.

Source with pics: http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...es-off-runway-at-dia-after-landing

Seems like WN can't get a break here in DEN. Something tells me that they may have been taxiing too fast. They really need to slow the hell down in this weather. There is a winter advisory here in the Front Range area.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

WN787
Topic Author

Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:15 am

No injuries reported at the moment. Sorry for my original post when I said runway. Jumped the gun there.

nzblue

Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:16 am

It's an entirely different kind of flying; all together.

AA94

Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:18 am

Twitter user @mrbuddylee posted some photos of the plane off the runway - he claims to have been onboard.

http://pic.twitter.com/a1gjlBdO

http://pic.twitter.com/gIPcgRvt
If you can't take the heat, you best get out of the kitchen

WN787
Topic Author

Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:22 am

Looks like the main gear collapsed and a partial nose gear collapse

AirframeAS

Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:24 am

Quoting WN787 (Reply 9):

Source?

Spacepope

Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:25 am

Strange. Not a hint of snow down here at COS.
The last of the famous international playboys

WN787
Topic Author

Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:26 am

Trying to confirm. The twitter photos don't show what I said so I'm probably mistaken

hiflyeras

Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:30 am

WN pilots are renowned for taxi-ing too fast. They probably don't know how to drive their car in snow either.

jporterfi

Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:43 am

Quoting WN787 (Reply 9):

Could this be a result of the plane going into the grass, or is it the reason that the plane slid into the grass?

DocLightning

Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:48 am

From the looks of the first twitter picture:

Quoting AA94 (Reply 8):

http://pic.twitter.com/a1gjlBdO

The #1 engine cowl is resting on the ground. This does not look like a simple "oops, I taxied off the taxiway."

However, the second picture looks like the wing is at a normal height off the ground.

That said, both photos are pretty poor, so it's hard to tell much.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

WN787
Topic Author

Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:49 am

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...es-off-runway-at-dia-after-landing

Pax report "the jet had just landed and was turning onto a taxiway when it hit a patch of ice and two of the three landing gears went off the pavement."

rfields5421

Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:56 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 15):
The #1 engine cowl is resting on the ground.

Looks like one of the news outlets won the bidding for exclusive rights to the pictures. Link no longer works.

stasisLAX

Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:02 am

Per Denver Post website (just updated a moment ago) - there is NO confirmed condition regarding the aircraft. All passengers were successfully bussed from the airfield to the terminal.

Source: http://www.denverpost.com/breakingne...ay-at-denver-international-airport
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

aamd11

Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:14 am

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 17):
Looks like one of the news outlets won the bidding for exclusive rights to the pictures. Link no longer works.

Just an error with the HTML formatting that came with the link... try this:

http://t.co/a1gjlBdO

wingnutmn

Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:20 am

Quoting WN787 (Reply 9):

I would guess that they just slid off into soft wet ground, not a collapse but the wheels are now completely buried in mud. In the first pic it looks like the engine is not touching the ground.

Wingnut
Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing! It's a bonus if you can fly the plane again!!

lasairlinerenth

Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:36 am

Not sure of its accuracy, of course, but this news report from MSN.com claims the WN jet was turning off of 35R after landing at DIA onto a high-speed taxiway; that might account for something as to why this event happened: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...nver?lite&ocid=msnhp&pos=3

F9Fan

Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:38 am

WN posted the following on Facebook

Quote:
OFFICIAL STATEMENT REGARDING FLIGHT #1905:

Southwest Airlines Flight #1905 from Oakland landed safely at Denver International Airport this afternoon at approximately 5:00 p.m., Mountain Time. While taxiing to the terminal, the nosewheel of the aircraft departed the taxiway. There were 125 Customers and five crew members onboard, all of whom were deplaned and bussed back to the terminal. No injuries have been reported. Weather.com reported blowing, snowy conditions in Denver this evening. We are working with those Customers who were connecting to other cities and reaccommodating them as quickly as possible.

[Edited 2012-11-10 19:48:59]

ATCtower

Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:21 am

And WN buys us all pizza and beer to ensure they get to their destination the fastest.

Sorry but until the NTSB says otherwise, I have no reason to believe the crew of this WN or any WN taxi any A/C faster than a safe speed given conditions. Do they on average taxi faster than other carriers, some do, sure. WN crew is also not paid by the minute as some of the other carriers I would expect to go balls to the wall or lag back.

Things happen and wx plays a role in a lot of A/C movements including touchdown and taxi. WN has an mu checklist the same as every other carrier and it should not be assumed they exceeded it.

My $.02
By reading the above post you waive all rights to be offended. If you do not like what you read, forget it.

FlyDeltaJets

Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:56 am

First and foremost I would like to say that I am greatly relieved to hear that no one was injured today. With that said I don't think that every single Southwest flight deck crew does things that in my opinion would be a little dangerous, but I would say there are many that do. I worked the last year on the ramp at BDL and between the Southwest ground crew and the flight deck crew there were things done with airplanes that I rarely have seen done before. I have personally witnesses WN planes cut off other planes whether taxing into the gate or the ground crew pushing out to try and beat a nearby gate to the start-up line. So no I have not seen not even close to most of Southwest planes being moved but I can say in comparison to the other airlines even at the same airport they definitely seem to have a different attitude towards safety.
The only valid opinions are those based in facts

SXDFC

Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:05 am

Do we even know the full story yet of how the plane ended up off the taxiway? NO.. Unless there is actual proof ( news report, witness account, etc ) then saying that WN pilots taxi fast is nothing but speculation.. WN isn't the first airline to end up on the side of a taxiway..

[Edited 2012-11-10 21:06:50]

Does anyone know what "Tail/ Nose Number" was involved in this incident? I am pretty sure its was a -700..

[Edited 2012-11-10 21:08:05]

rwy04lga

Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:21 am

Plane off the pavement stuck in the snow? Call Patroni at Lincoln Intl and have a box of cigars at the ready.
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

iowaman

Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:51 am

Woah, you all need to be patient. The report will be out from the NTSB eventually with factual events. No one even got injured and I can recall other airlines sliding off taxiways as well besides Southwest:

DL Incident At DTW, Plane Skids Off Taxiway (by PSU.DTW.SCE Jan 29 2012 in Civil Aviation)
Aircraft Slides Off Taxiway In IND (by Allstarflyer Dec 17 2008 in Civil Aviation)
UA 747 Runs Off Taxiway At Melbourne Airport (by ADG Mar 7 2003 in Civil Aviation)
FL Flight Off Taxiway At GRR (by CaptSkibi Feb 10 2012 in Civil Aviation)
Allegiant Off Taxiway At YNG (Lake Effect Snow) (by YNGguins Jan 2 2012 in Civil Aviation)
ASA Plane Off Taxiway In TUL (by comairguycvg Aug 19 2011 in Civil Aviation)

Doesnt sound like a big deal to me. Appears to be a -700 but this is uncomfirmed I believe:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/S...5/history/20121110/2140Z/KOAK/KDEN

The Denver post is confirming no snow accumulation at DEN today on paved surfaces, but no mention of ice. This is what we know is factual as of now, unless someone else can provide a source of more information as it comes.

Quoting F9Fan (Reply 30):
WN posted the following on Facebook

Quote:OFFICIAL STATEMENT REGARDING FLIGHT #1905:

Southwest Airlines Flight #1905 from Oakland landed safely at Denver International Airport this afternoon at approximately 5:00 p.m., Mountain Time. While taxiing to the terminal, the nosewheel of the aircraft departed the taxiway. There were 125 Customers and five crew members onboard, all of whom were deplaned and bussed back to the terminal. No injuries have been reported. Weather.com reported blowing, snowy conditions in Denver this evening. We are working with those Customers who were connecting to other cities and reaccommodating them as quickly as possible.

[Edited 2012-11-10 22:04:10]

AirframeAS

Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:30 am

I apologize if I have offended the WN folks here. I thought this was A.net, the last time I checked. I had no idea that speculation was forbidden in the rules and I am not allowed to an opinion. I guess I was truly mistaken, and for that I apologize.

My bad totally. I'll go back to the F9 threads and leave you guys in peace.

WN787
Topic Author

Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:33 am

I had no idea an accident would spark a bash event on WN.

mtnwest1979

Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:55 am

OK if you look at the one photo out the window looking out onto the taxiway and the arff folks, you can see that the taxiway that they were trying to turn onto was ED, which is at the N end of 35R. That is a 90 degree turn and not a high speed taxiway that is located prior to taxiway ED. Just look at DEN layout to see what I mean. At least that is what I see. As for final cause? Don't know and we'll see. Have a nice day.

[Edited 2012-11-10 22:58:10]
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

rfields5421

Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:57 pm

Quoting WN787 (Reply 56):
I had no idea an accident would spark a bash event on WN.

Every incident sparks a bash event on this forum. It's nothing personal about the people or the airline - just A.net SOP.

As far as this incident - if the plane was turning off on a high speed taxiway - that has nothing to do with airline taxi practices. It is a pilots' decision, often encouraged by ATC, to clear the runway as quickly as possible.

While no snow accumulation was reported, we all know patches of snow or ice can happen and cause unexpected problems. The airplane could have hit a patch of ice as small as a couple feet and it would be enough to start a skid.

Even if it was not a high speed taxiway, the same thing could happen during a 90 degree turn.

Either way - everyone was safe. The airline made arrangements for the passengers and the replacement aircraft was able to takeoff and continue the flight in less than three hours.

Very good, efficient dealing with a problem by the airline.

Much better than another thread about passengers being stranded yesterday.

BTW - I assume the plane was removed and the taxiway/ runway cleared and back in operation last night. Can anyone confirm?

AustrianSimon

Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:57 pm

Aircraft N287WN slid off the high speed turn off, didn't make the turn along the high speed exit after vacating runway 35R. Runway 35R was not affected at all, one departure was delayed by two minutes until emergency services had reached the aircraft, but then runway 35R was used without restriction again.

usflyguy

Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:04 pm

Quoting FlyDeltaJets (Reply 27):
I have personally witnesses WN planes cut off other planes whether taxing into the gate or the ground crew pushing out to try and beat a nearby gate to the start-up line.

And I always thought the tower had to give them clearance for movement... Boy was I wrong.
My post is my ideas and my opinions only, I do not represent the ideas or opinions of anyone else or company.

mcdu

Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:49 pm

Quoting usflyguy (Reply 36):
And I always thought the tower had to give them clearance for movement... Boy was I wrong.

Many of these areas ramp areas are non-atc controlled. The crew will only call ATC when at an exit point and will be free of atc at the entry point. I too have witnessed WN over the years taxiing in front of a/c that were pushed back and doing things that many would consider hazardous at a minimum and unsafe in many aspects.

This incident however took place on a ATC controlled surface. The High Speed taxiways on 35R at DEN do have some slope to them. Have used those same taxiways in situations similar to last night. Slower is better on P7 and the junction of ED. The ED has a significant slope upward from East to West. However, with all of the movements at DEN in all of the WX conditions that have existed at the airport it is WN that finds the grass.

Quoting iowaman (Reply 30):
Woah, you all need to be patient. The report will be out from the NTSB eventually with factual events. No one even got injured and I can recall other airlines sliding off taxiways as well besides Southwest:

Every airline has had incidents of aircraft departing the hard surface, however WN has had some high profile incidents of excessive speed and SOP compliance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southwest_Airlines_Flight_1455
"At 1810:24 the ground proximity warning system (GPWS) began to sound a "sink rate" warning in the cockpit. The aircraft was descending at an angle of 7 degrees, when the angle of descent for most aircraft landing on that runway was 3 or 4 degrees. Both pilots ignored the warnings. At 1810:44 the warning system in the cockpit began to sound. The captain responded to these warnings with "that's all right."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southwest_Airlines_Flight_1248

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0...y-runway-accident-so_n_854055.html

F9Animal

Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:13 pm

News teams have been working on a story about WN taxi speeds!

I have been out all morning with a news team! We have verified that WN taxi speeds are much higher than other airlines. They have another team in LAS and PHX doing the same. This ought to be an interesting story!

[Edited 2012-11-11 09:44:23 by SA7700]
I Am A Different Animal!!

SXDFC

Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:19 pm

Does anyone know how much damage occurred to A/C 287?

PlanesNTrains

Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:27 pm

Quoting F9animal (Reply 31):
can almost guarantee it was a high speed turn off the runway. If that is the case, it might have been better to wait until they got to a slower speed and taken the next taxi way to avoid sliding off. UA and F9 seem to handle the weather conditions just fine.

With 1.1M arrivals a year nationally, and 58,000 arrivals a year at DEN alone, WN doesn't seem to be having any abnormal amount of issues relative to UA, F9, or anyone else.

Quoting F9animal (Reply 39):
I have been out all morning with a news team! We have verified that WN taxi speeds are much higher than other airlines. They have another team in LAS and PHX doing the same. This ought to be an interesting story!

Wow.....And this has what to do with this incident exactly?

-Dave
-Dave

Silver1SWA
Crew

Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:31 pm

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 41):
Quoting F9animal (Reply 39):

Wow.....And this has what to do with this incident exactly?

Exactly.

They must be reading this thread for inspiration.

northwestair

Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:51 pm

It will be interesting to read the final report over this incident. Until then we should take anything the news media says with a grain a salt.
I don't care who you fly just as long as you fly

Cubsrule

Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:21 pm

Quoting mcdu (Reply 33):
however WN has had some high profile incidents of excessive speed and SOP compliance.

What carrier hasn't? UA (CO) had a completely preventable runway excursion at the very same airport a few years ago. AA has had a couple (JAC and KIN) along with any number of pilot error crashes and near misses (AA 587 at JFK, M83 in to the trees at BDL in 2001 or 2002, etc.). Is there some evidence that WN has more of these per capita than any other carrier?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

XT6Wagon

Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:47 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 39):
Is there some evidence that WN has more of these per capita than any other carrier?

given that WN has more than 500 planes making 3-4 flights a day... I'd say WN has as close to perfect safety rating as one can expect. Someone would have to run the numbers, but I'd put money on you are more likely to be killed by a bear inside your own home than by a WN safety issue.

mtnwest1979

Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:52 pm

...of course on further thought after I had shut down laptop, I guess they could have been on the high speed and came to its end at ED and just couldn't make the turn left.
As this was noted in an earlier post.

[Edited 2012-11-11 11:57:17]
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

mcdu

Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:15 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 39):
What carrier hasn't? UA (CO) had a completely preventable runway excursion at the very same airport a few years ago. AA has had a couple (JAC and KIN) along with any number of pilot error crashes and near misses (AA 587 at JFK, M83 in to the trees at BDL in 2001 or 2002, etc.). Is there some evidence that WN has more of these per capita than any other carrier?

Some creative posting on your behalf, below is the entire quote. I said EVERY airline has had incidents. WN has had more of the same type of incident reoccurring than the other carriers. Perhaps it is symptom of complacency in flying one aircraft type, many cycles etc. However, we don't see the RJ carriers have the same type of incidents over and over and those crews fly similar legs/schedules to WN.

Just to clarify the CO accident in DEN was before the UA merger so it is NOT an UA crash. The AA incident at BDL was 1995 NOT 2001. If you guys wish to believe that WN doesn't have an issue with taxi speeds and agressive flying then that is fine. You are entitled to your opinion. I know I have sat in a WN jumpseat in 1994 going into BWI that was eye opening on the unstablized approach, ignored GPWS warnings at night and long landing that didn't seem to faze either pilot. It was business as usual. Even had an FAA inspector on my jumpseat several years ago say he was giving route check to a Captain he just happened to know from WN. During the flight the crew operated the airplane with the overspeed clacker going off for extended periods of time. The FO told the inspector the clacker noise was the "Southwest victory song". The inspector said he had a long talk with the Capt when they landed.

The incident from last night will be investigated and eventually we will learn the cause. I happen to have enough local knowledge of DEN to appreciate the difficulty involved on P7 and ED. It is interesting to note that the airplane was routed for an east downwind to 35R and landed behind schedule. WIth the minimum turn times there may have been added pressure for the crew to get to the gate quickly to recover some fo the ground time. From what I could find it was due to arrive at 1638 and actually touched down at 1704. Does anyone have details of the allotted ground time for this flight?

Quoting mcdu (Reply 33):
Every airline has had incidents of aircraft departing the hard surface, however WN has had some high profile incidents of excessive speed and SOP compliance.

PlanesNTrains

Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:34 pm

AA in Chicago
AA in Little Rock
AA in New York
AA in Colombia
AA in Kingston

Remind me not to fly them anymore - clearly their pilots are not as safe as those of safer airlines...like Southwest.

(Maybe I'm misunderstanding - I'm getting the impression that anecdotal evidence is proof enough that a systemic problem exists a a carrier)

-Dave
-Dave

WN787
Topic Author

Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:59 pm

Quoting mcdu (Reply 33):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southwest_Airlines_Flight_1455
"At 1810:24 the ground proximity warning system (GPWS) began to sound a "sink rate" warning in the cockpit. The aircraft was descending at an angle of 7 degrees, when the angle of descent for most aircraft landing on that runway was 3 or 4 degrees. Both pilots ignored the warnings. At 1810:44 the warning system in the cockpit began to sound. The captain responded to these warnings with "that's all right."

Cause Wiki is the most reliable source. ANYONE can change it!

Quoting F9animal (Reply 34):
We have verified that WN taxi speeds are much higher than other airlines.

Who's we? And how do you know this? At DEN, all areas are controlled by ATC. I think all airlines have there moments of "high speed taxing," although iif this news report comes out and says WN is the only one fast on the aapron, I bet they won't compare WN to all other airlines.

mariner

Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:15 pm

Quoting WN787 (Reply 44):

Yes, anyone can change it - but it isn't open slather, they have to answer to a gaggle of experts if they do change anything.

I've made changes on Wiki and have been grilled about them and I have seen the most minute editorial details thrashed out and argued about in the forum where the leading Wiki analysts and editors gather.

If you feel some fact is wrong or it has escaped their attention, you can raise it with Wiki.

mariner
aeternum nauta

PlanesNTrains

Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:16 pm

PSA always had takeoffs steeper than any other airline. Western was chronically late. Aeroflot can't tell the difference between a runway and an interstate.

All are statements that reflect my personal experiences. Doesn't make them true.

-Dave
-Dave

Silver1SWA
Crew

Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:06 am

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 46):
PSA always had takeoffs steeper than any other airline. Western was chronically late. Aeroflot can't tell the difference between a runway and an interstate.

All are statements that reflect my personal experiences. Doesn't make them true.

Well said. Funny, isn't it? That anecdotal evidence seems to always support one's bias?

rfields5421

Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:09 am

Quoting WN787 (Reply 44):

Okay - how about the exact words from the NTSB Report

Quote:
From 1810:24 until 1810:59, the ground proximity warning system (GPWS) alerts were
being continuously broadcast in the cockpit, first as “sink rate” and then, at 1810:44, switching to
“"whoop, whoop, pull up".” At 1810:29, the captain stated, "“flaps thirty, just put it down.”"

At 1810:33, the captain stated, “"put it to [flaps] forty. [I]t won’t go, I know that. [I]t’s all right.
[F]inal descent checklist.”"

After the GPWS “whoop, whoop, pull up” alert sounded at 1810:47,
the captain stated, "“that’s all right",” at 1810:53.

Is that a good enough source?

http://www.ntsb.gov/doclib/reports/2002/AAB0204.pdf

PlanesNTrains

Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:18 am

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 47):
Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 46):PSA always had takeoffs steeper than any other airline. Western was chronically late. Aeroflot can't tell the difference between a runway and an interstate.

Well said. Funny, isn't it? That anecdotal evidence seems to always support one's bias?

Back when I used to be able to go to the park overlooking the runways at SEA, I would see things that just seemed to repeat themselves. PSA was one example. Their maddogs would seem to aim for the sky at lift-off, while those of AA, AS, and othes were more subtle. But I don't know if that was just my perception or if it reflected something else.

At the same time (period), it did seem that WN had a faster clip to their taxiing. But that was more than 15 years ago. Today, anytime I've witnessed or been on a WN plane, I have seen zero difference between them and anyone else. Again, that might not reflect reality either, but it sure beats going on a witchhunt with the media to prove something that may have little or no real bearing to anything.

-Dave
-Dave