Smoking And Air Rage

Fri Oct 20, 2000 1:16 am

Do you think there is a correlation between the increase of air rage events and the elimination of smoking on flights? If so, how does this explain the increase of road rage?

Ilyushin96M

RE: Smoking And Air Rage

Fri Oct 20, 2000 1:22 am

Hmm. From what I've heard of air rage incidents, very often these correspond to alcohol consumption, not smoking or lack thereof. Although having been around alot of smokers, I can see how nicotine deprivation can lead to shortness of temper, irritability and potential explosions.  

As for road rage...got me there. I think the rise in road rage incidents is related to increased stress in everyday life, as well as lack of stress-relieving activities in most people's routines. I think if we all got more vacation time from our jobs and took a bit of exercise to boot, not only would we be in better shape, we'd be alot calmer!

Adam84

Fri Oct 20, 2000 1:38 am

I think alcohol causes the majority of air rage, I dont think someone going without a ciggarette for awhile will make them hit people or go crazy, it will probably just make them tempted to go light up in the lav. I am a smoker and I average about a pack a day. When I fly I have no problem whatsoever, I just get kinda edgy towards the end of the flight because I am thinking about being able to smoke, whereas when the plane takes off I know I cant smoke so I just dont even think about it.

Fri Oct 20, 2000 1:55 am

I would agree that alcohol is the main factor with air rage, but I also think that alcohol intensifies the urge for the calming effect of nicotine.....booze minus cigs=snap!

Ilyushin96M

Fri Oct 20, 2000 2:16 am

Most smokers I know light up 2 - 3 times as much when they're drinking; it's like cigarettes and booze go together. I used to smoke when I'd had a few, but decided that spending the next day hacking just wasn't worth it.

Adam84, you're pretty rare amongst smokers - most of the ones I know who smoke a pack a day light up every hour or so, even more often, and if they can't smoke for a couple hours, they start to get edgy. I guess I've always assumed most smokers are like that, hence the possible correlation of edginess with air rage. Just a thought.