FATFlyer
Topic Author

Allegiant Announces One-Time Dividend Of $2/share

Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:23 pm

Allegiant has announced a special one-time dividend of $2/share to shareholders of record as of November 30. The dividend will be paid on December 14.
http://ir.allegiantair.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=721022

The cost of the dividend payment is approximately $38 million. As of Sept 30, G4's balance sheet listed $357.1 million in cash and short-term investments.

The last time G4 issued a one-time dividend was on June 1, 2010, the amount of that payment was $0.75/share.

Allegiant currently has no plan to begin issuing a regular quarterly dividend.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

mariner

RE: Allegiant Announces One-Time Dividend Of $2/share

Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:28 pm

Quoting FATFlyer (Thread starter):
Allegiant has announced a special one-time dividend of $2/share to shareholders of record as of November 30. The dividend will be paid on December 14.

Very good news.

I'm still kicking myself that I didn't buy a few Allegiant shares at the time of the IPO.  

mariner
aeternum nauta

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:02 pm

Quoting mariner (Reply 1):
I'm still kicking myself that I didn't buy a few Allegiant shares at the time of the IPO.

You and me both.

rgreenftm

Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:05 pm

I'm kind of surprised any airline is issuing a dividend in this environment. It would seem they would want to hoard cash for the inevitable down turn that seems to be pretty near cyclical these days.

slcdeltarumd11

Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:12 pm

Cool news! Nice to see Allegiant Giving back. It just seems to be such a well run airline who makes great decisions

ouboy79

Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:19 pm

Quoting rgreenftm (Reply 3):
I'm kind of surprised any airline is issuing a dividend in this environment. It would seem they would want to hoard cash for the inevitable down turn that seems to be pretty near cyclical these days.

They have relatively very low costs and target markets that are probably more resistant to any downturn. Consider how well they are doing out of Rust Belt cities that haven't had strong recoveries like some oil/gas cities to vacation areas.

N908AW

Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:19 pm

Allegiant has had pretty darn consistent growth and revenue for quite some time -- two very good reasons for a dividend.
'Cause you're on ATA again, and on ATA, you're on vacation!

ytib

Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:25 pm

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 4):
Cool news! Nice to see Allegiant Giving back. It just seems to be such a well run airline who makes great decisions

Agree, except for the word 'airline', it is a 'travel company'

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:03 pm

Allegiant will still have roughly $320 million in cash/short-term investments after the dividend. Total operating expenses in the last quarter were roughly $188 million. I think they still will have a pretty good sized hoard.

diverdave

Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:55 pm

It's quite likely they are issuing the dividend before the expiration of the Bush tax cuts, which included a special lower tax rate for qualifying dividends. The maximum tax rate is 15% right now, could go as high as 39.6% on 1/1/2013.

David